Realistically speaking, could Ireland fend off a British invasion in 2018?

Realistically speaking, could Ireland fend off a British invasion in 2018?

Attached: Penny.jpg (414x512, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forces.net/news/thousands-british-troops-readiness-if-theres-no-deal-brexit
thetimes.co.uk/article/police-plan-for-riots-and-crimewave-if-there-is-no-deal-brexit-frbbnjjqp
metro.co.uk/2018/09/09/police-preparing-for-riots-and-disorder-in-event-of-no-deal-brexit-7928317/
independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/no-deal-brexit-blood-medicine-stockpile-nhs-health-secretary-matt-hancock-a8462531.html
youtube.com/watch?v=ABuXCpiT2-Q
politico.eu/article/uk-plan-to-use-m26-motorway-as-parking-lot-port-dover-if-no-brexit-deal/
theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/19/no-deal-brexit-will-raise-food-prices-says-michael-gove
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-28/no-deal-brexit-may-prolong-u-k-austerity-measures-hammond-says
uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-nodeal/in-no-deal-brexit-eu-seeks-to-avoid-short-term-crash-idUKKBN1OI17F
youtube.com/watch?v=1B4PkbqLlPs
youtube.com/watch?v=E53mX2SwsG4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Their population couldn't even figure out if they wanted independence. So they'd be hard pressed to come together to fight for it.

They can easily fend off anything the British will be throwing at them in the next two weeks. Hell, anyone could, because the sum total of it will be "nothing".

So we're doing this again, are we?

Attached: 1544407168965.jpg (250x180, 7K)

Doesn't Britain actually have a large military by non-American standards?

They've got a lot of infantrypeoples that carry rifles that might* work. And a navy that begs the question of why they were every branded "the terror of the seas" in the first place.
*lol it fuckin don't

If you didn't give it attention, it would stop.

Ireland's military is a token force and would be knocked out pretty quick assuming they had a chance fight back, however any long-term occupation of Ireland would fail horribly.

>he doesn't sage his posts when replying to a thread he doesnt like
shiggy diggy do

Alright, stand still and let me aim an SA-80 at you and pull the trigger. Pretty sure it works.

>Realistically speaking, could Ireland fend off a British invasion in 2018?

yes
they have about half a million weapons between civilian and state and shit weather for fac and drones and massive bogs and shit roads that fuck up tracked vehicles. It would require about 200,000 troops from the UK to hold which is more than the British professional force

not really the right weapon think more 600-1000 meters, not 300. Anyhow Churchill made the right decision leaving Ireland. Its just an afghan level continual bleed forever with no significant gains

Enjoy your hypothermia and lack of air support and having to walk everywhere in pouring rain while the locals think up interesting new ways to maim and poison you as a recreational sport while pubs in mainland Britain keep exploding and Russia dumbs small arms into Ireland like santa on Christmas eve. Only being effective out to 300M in driving wind and rain while carrying a heavy awkward weapon is the least of your concerns now laddy

lmao no

>Ireland's military is a token force and would be knocked out pretty quick assuming they had a chance fight back,

they would disperse to bring professional training in weapons systems to local groups that would spring up like zits on a teenager

You just changed the subject completely. I’m not even debating about how Britain would fare if they invaded Ireland. My point is solely that the SA-80 functions well as an infantry weapon. It’s not an awkward weapon to use at all and as long as you’re not a lil bitch the little bit of extra weight doesn’t really mean much.

Attached: 6A037692-B539-4783-9751-ACC8598512CF.png (460x470, 97K)

>Realistically speaking, could Ireland fend off a British invasion in 2018?

How exactly do you invade this?

One of Ireland's most characteristic features is the bog. Covering 1,200,000 hectares (1/6th) of the island,

Low cloud, driving wind and rain and impossible to use vehicles in. That's the nice bits. The answer is lots and lots of foot patrols through some of the worlds most awful weather knee deep in mud using vast numbers of infantry that make sitting ducks for the locals who are sitting in a pub tossing a coin on whether they will have another pint of murder a collaborator before bedtime..

Attached: untitled.png (259x194, 92K)

Its just another semi 5.56 that's a bit heavy and awkward. Its ho hum really.

Gonna have to say no to OP’s question. It’s great to see another Éireanon on this board though.
Going by the 1:10 infantryman:civilian rule, the UK needs 600,000 infantry soldiers to hold the island of Ireland, which, while certainly not impossible, would need a minimum of three years to muster. The UK still does have decent infantry doctrine and equipment to be fair-The state of the troops themselves is a different matter altogether however.
A strong sense of ancestral republicanism would certainly be revived by a land invasion of the UK. The several thousand AKMS rifles buried across the country in locations known only to IRA members would be dug up and issued. Naturally, AK74 and AK74M’s would also begin to appear magically without the intervention of any foreign power, of course.
Overall, I have to say that maintaining an army of >500,000 troops on the island of Ireland would be exceptionally difficult from a logistical viewpoint, the Brits could certainly take control of all political and industrial infrastructure in ~5 years.
Shit.

That is not to say that total control could be attained by the Brits-they would be hugely fucked, and would take 5-digit casualties every year which is practically unsustainable.

>the Brits could certainly take control of all political and industrial infrastructure in ~5 years.

No real change then, pass the irish times and praise leo fagadkar

>semi
It has full auto capabilities, not that there’s really any point in using them

>awkward
I’ll say again, it is not awkward. It’s actually quite a nice, rifle to use once you get to grips with it.

I don't think so but go ahead and love it if you want, the Irish use the seyr aug which is way nicer and lighter but basically the same capability

Stop bullshitting retard. You know nothing about guns.

The Irish armed forces? Fuck no. The Irish people? Probably, it'd be the troubles but on a larger scale.

Seriously, the Irish lack basically any form of air force besides some turboprop planes and a few utility helicopters. Add in the fact they lack any form of large ships, tanks and so on and it becomes easy to see a British invasion winning. The problem then becomes that the British don't have enough troops to hold all of Ireland against a concerted effort to remove them.

On another note, I've jokingly been suggesting an invasion of Ireland as a potential solution to the EU border problem. I mean you can't have a border problem if you get rid of the border, right?

The steyr is a nicer gun than the SA80 matey. Sorry such it up and stop screaming childishly

NI was six counties and the deployment there was the longest in British military histoy, about 25,0000 troops over six counties, there are 26 more in the Irish republic. Half the population in NI was pro British, zero in the Irish republic so rough math is about 5000 troops per county deployed for 25 years (see NI) which would be a ground force commitment of about 160,000 troops to achieve another embarrassing draw and a withdrawal.

>On another note, I've jokingly been suggesting an invasion of Ireland as a potential solution to the EU border problem.

Sure. Next the UK invades everyone to try and get out of the massive incoming trade tariffs and logistic collapse they are facing and discovers they are not a work striding empire anymore but a third rate power with no international clout. The only think the british invade is London when riots kick off there again amongst the great unwashed when the prices for their fast food double over the course of a week and their dole is cut to fund a hair cut for bore is a jonson

forces.net/news/thousands-british-troops-readiness-if-theres-no-deal-brexit

>Next the UK invades everyone to try and get out of the massive incoming trade tariffs and logistic collapse they are facing and discovers they are not a work striding empire anymore but a third rate power with no international clout.
Kek.

>The only think the british invade is London when riots kick off there again amongst the great unwashed when the prices for their fast food double over the course of a week and their dole is cut to fund a hair cut for bore is a jonson
Implying a military crackdown on london wouldn't be a literal godsend. Also I'd argue that such doom-saying isn't entirely accurate given the same groups were all promising that if the UK said they planned to leave the EU that their economy would suddenly catch fire and everyone would be unemployed in 12 hours.

>Implying a military crackdown on london wouldn't be a literal godsend. Also I'd argue that such doom-saying isn't entirely accurate given the same groups were all promising that if the UK said they planned to leave the EU that their economy would suddenly catch fire and everyone would be unemployed in 12 hours.

Humm

thetimes.co.uk/article/police-plan-for-riots-and-crimewave-if-there-is-no-deal-brexit-frbbnjjqp

Police chiefs are drawing up contingency plans to deal with widespread civil disorder at the country’s borders and ports in the event of a no-deal Brexit, according to a leaked report.

The bombshell document, prepared by the National Police Co- ordination Centre, warns that the “necessity to call on military assistance is a real possibility” in the weeks around Britain’s departure from the EU.

hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

metro.co.uk/2018/09/09/police-preparing-for-riots-and-disorder-in-event-of-no-deal-brexit-7928317/

Police are bracing themselves for widespread disorder in the event of a no-deal Brexit, leaked documents have revealed. Contingency plans are being drawn-up in case the country faces shortages of goods, food and medicine after leaving the European Union without a deal. They include the ‘real possibility’ of calling on military assistance and preventing officers taking leave around the date of the UK’s withdrawal in March 2019.

Yeah and every bank in the world as well as the UK government's own financial minsters / advisers were all saying that by activating article 50 or having a successful leave vote the pound would instantly become less valuable than the Zimbabwean dollar. It is also entirely reasonable to prepare for a true worst case scenario because people like you, as well as people in the actual service of informing the public of the news, will scaremonger to some degree either out of genuine belief or in an attempt to get better ratings.

It's also quite funny you say they'll face shortages of goods and shit. I remember being in Wetherspoons a few months back and they specifically had an advertisement promising that their prices wouldn't be effected no matter what the outcome of Brexit negotiations, ignoring the exception of products like champagne given it can only come from a specific part of France (meaning that it can't be replaced with a non-EU substitute) and other such exceptional goods.

I find it hard to believe that if a restaurant chain can arrange such things, that the various other industries can't find even slightly similar arrangements in the massive amount of time they've had.

I’m ^this guy

Do you have any hands on experience with the SA-80?

You’re not helping

Attached: FB919389-E53D-4333-80FF-84A5354909B4.jpg (751x799, 78K)

Attached: 1200px-VFPt_horseshoe-magnet.svg.png (1200x1200, 213K)

There would be plenty of volunteers going to fight for Ireland

Attached: Penny salute.jpg (682x900, 292K)

>you say they'll face shortages of goods and shit

It's not me, the government is stockpiling because they know they will

Brexit: Government admits plan to stockpile medicines and blood in case UK leaves EU with no deal

'Some of the medicines most difficult to provide in a no-deal scenario, where there is difficult access through ports, will need to be flown in'

independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/no-deal-brexit-blood-medicine-stockpile-nhs-health-secretary-matt-hancock-a8462531.html

>I find it hard to believe that if a restaurant chain can arrange such things, that the various other industries can't find even slightly similar arrangements in the massive amount of time they've had.

Boy are you in for a shock.

>Do you have any hands on experience with the SA-80?

Yes and I never liked it nice for you if you do. The steyr is a much nicer weapon to use and carry. While there will be no invasion of Ireland I'm sure the SA80 will perform admirably in its new role of stopping Jeremy kyle guests from running away with looted weatherspoons kegs

>Implying a military crackdown on london wouldn't be a literal godsend

You'll enjoy this

youtube.com/watch?v=ABuXCpiT2-Q

Ireland has nothing to fear from a British invasion although a subset of the Irish population would welcome it as an opportunity to do the republican blood safrifice thing. That's exactly why that dog is best left sleeping. The UK? It's government and military are going to be fairly occupied keeping order in its ethnically diverse mega slums when the price of a burger and chips doubles and the dole halves. The main threat to Ireland is hoards of economic refugees/migrants fleeing urban chaos

Attached: 28-days-later-apron.jpg (1277x675, 317K)

>'Some of the medicines most difficult to provide in a no-deal scenario, where there is difficult access through ports, will need to be flown in'
Those ports which should have far less traffic than usual because of the apparent inability to import food and such?

>Boy are you in for a shock.
I'd say the same to you mate. The government has basically no confidence in Brexit so I am unsurprising that they are seeing doom on the horizon.

>The UK? It's government and military are going to be fairly occupied keeping order in its ethnically diverse mega slums when the price of a burger and chips doubles and the dole halves.
See I have two problems with what you are saying: one, the dole ain't shifting, it'd take the government declaring bankruptcy for it to shift even 1% and I've never agreed with the economic projections which say leaving is some sort of instant-economy death; two, the prices of food probably won't rocket anywhere near as violently as people are predicting. I can say that with good confidence because the UK has similar scares during the winter in general about food availability and it has never caused riots.

>a subset of the Irish population would welcome it as an opportunity to do the republican blood safrifice thing. That's exactly why that dog is best left sleeping.

I think its hard for someone from the UK or a cadet or TA fellow who loves his SA80 to wrap his head around the fact there is a sizable minority of the Irish population think the finest thing on earth would be to die horribly as long as they get to kill and English soldier who was on their soil. Its weird but there you have it and it has an aspect of a death cult (see the adoration of hunger strikers)

'the old heart of the earth needed to be warmed by the red wine of the battlefield'
Patrick Pearce.

There are people in Ireland who really really really believe that and they don't care if its there blood long as it is mixed with yours, if you are an English soldier. Maybe in 50 or 100 years that will have faded if it is left lie and there is no excuse for new myth making but today, its still there. Its hard to see how Ireland would be a strategic asset worth tying up the entire UK standing army for decades. That is why Churchill himself decided it was best to leave. It would be a disaster for the UK to have to make any sizable troop commitment back to Ireland as it would severely limit their ability to respond to international events without a huge increase in spending which at the moment they cannot even contemplate affording

politico.eu/article/uk-plan-to-use-m26-motorway-as-parking-lot-port-dover-if-no-brexit-deal/

LONDON — Work has begun to turn a motorway in south east England into a “parking lot” for lorries as part of a plan to prevent traffic chaos in the event of a no-deal Brexit, a senior MP said Thursday.

The plan, which was not disclosed to local councillors or MPs until hours before work began on Wednesday, will see the M26 motorway closed overnight for more than a month in the run-up to Christmas while the roadworks take place.

It marks a major escalation in government preparations for a no-deal Brexit, with talks in Brussels still deadlocked over the question of the Northern Ireland border, and MPs threatening to vote down Theresa May's plan for the future trading relationship with the EU.

Fears that a no-deal scenario would lead to major delays at the port of Dover for freight crossing the Channel, because of the need for customs and regulatory checks, have led the government to implement major works on motorways near the port in the county of Kent. Under the plan confirmed by Grayling on Thursday, the M26 motorway will become a holding area for hundreds of lorries to allow traffic to move more freely on other roads.

The fact the works were related to Brexit was not disclosed by either the Department for Transport or Highways England, the government-owned company charged with operating England's motorways, until Wednesday. The motorway will be closed between 10 p.m. and 5:30 a.m. from October 15 to October 19, then from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. from November 19 to December 21.

>Fears
This is rather an important word. It's not that they have genuine proof this will happen, it's all just suspicion, fear and worry. Their projections in past have been shit, I don't expect these to be any better.

A plan called Operation Brock has already led to works on the nearby M20 motorway, to create a contraflow lane to keep roads open if problems arise. Ministers had initially indicated Operation Brock was nothing to do with Brexit, but a Kent County Council report in July revealed the codename stands for “Brexit Operations Across Kent.”

Look, they are stockpiling medcines, have troops on standby are cancelling police leave and shutting down mororway to create trailer parks. I'd say you are a step beyond 'fears'. The fact is no one on either side expected no deal and whether you wish to accept it or not the UK can't even use Wto rules because Russia is a member and said it will block them. Some of the tariffs on agricultural products are in the range of 90% and you can expect fairly common foodstuffs to spike massively in price unless at this stage a miracle occurs. The only real model you have is what was the UK like before it joined the common market and the fact is in 1979 it was falling apart and if anything it was a more cohesive society in 1979.

Here's Michael Gove. He's a 100% brexiteer and even he is saying food prices will rise.

theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/19/no-deal-brexit-will-raise-food-prices-says-michael-gove

“So I do think there is a real risk in the event of a no deal of price spikes in certain foodstuffs.”

As it stands best case scenario is things like orange juice will go up 25% at least nearly immediately. Yes the chavs will riot. Even the governor of the bank of England is saying to expect an average increase of 10% for food. Poorer households spend a greater % on food and they will feel the pinch. As regards the dole

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-28/no-deal-brexit-may-prolong-u-k-austerity-measures-hammond-says

"The U.K. will need new tax and spending plans and may have to extend austerity policies if it fails to secure a deal with the European Union, Chancellor of the Exchequer Philip Hammond said.
With analysis last week showing a no-deal Brexit would drag the economy to a near-standstill next year, in that scenario “we’d need to have a new budget that set out a different strategy for the future,” Hammond said
"

Yes there will be more cuts. So the tracksuited ones will most definitely be restless, they appeared to come quite close to brining the army into London in 2011. No surprise to hear 3500 troops are on standby for brexit (that is off practising riot control)

Mate I entirely disagree with you and believe that this shit will almost certainly resolve with far less issue than you believe.

uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-nodeal/in-no-deal-brexit-eu-seeks-to-avoid-short-term-crash-idUKKBN1OI17F

Fact is the economies of Europe are interconnected on a deep level. I don't disagree that leaving the EU will change the prices of certain goods and change the landscape of what businesses are profitable where but you are over-blowing just how much of an issue this is.

I don't think either of us is going to convince the other mate and to be entirely honest I don't honestly give a single shit what it does to the economy. Better to live in a nation with genuine self-governance that is economically fucked than be tied to the growing cancer of the EU.

You can continue to believe pessimistic projections but to be honest I have no interest. As far as I am concerned a no-deal is good enough to me and I wished we'd taken it on the first day after the vote rather than faffing about in uncertainty for all this time.

Also a 25 to 10 % rise is much lower than your statements, as in more than one and consistently so, that prices would double. Also you seriously think that the UK's poor are the ones drinking shit like Orange juice? That is laughable, orangeade perhaps.

fuck off RWBY poster

Attached: furfagremoval.jpg (824x767, 144K)

I think you have been lied to.

>uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-nodeal/in-no-deal-brexit-eu-seeks-to-avoid-short-term-crash-idUKKBN1OI17F

scroll down

"LONDON (Reuters) - Most banking, insurance and other financial firms in Britain would be cut off from the European Union if there is a no-deal Brexit, the bloc’s executive body said on Wednesday. "

Anything that stirs up violence in northern Ireland is plain bad for both the UK and the Republic of Ireland. That's very fucking simple.

youtube.com/watch?v=1B4PkbqLlPs

Welcome to Jow Forums, motherfucker.
Now get the fuck out.

Attached: 1544282450458.png (476x898, 465K)

Couldn't care.

>scroll down
I did read through it, my point was that it stated that they'd allow most trade to travel through without too much difficulty ignoring the transit of live animals which is entirely fair to be honest. Banks and so on will be screwed aye but that is to be expected from this even under some of the most ideal circumstances.

>Anything that stirs up violence in northern Ireland is plain bad for both the UK and the Republic of Ireland. That's very fucking simple.
I don't disagree. Violence is generally a bad thing for a government unless it grants them the public support to eliminate a problem.

I think all of yous living on the Isles will be fighting soon enough, but I doubt it'll be Brits vs Irish.

Attached: British Isles infograph.png (530x510, 63K)

You should be worried about the muslims, not the Limmeys

Oh I entirely agree. It's just my joke solution to the border. I'd never expect to see it done. I mean to be fair it's also my (slightly less joking) solution to the Gibraltar situation if Spain continues to push it's luck.

Also I live in hope that after leaving the EU we somehow reunite the majority of the commonwealth's territories like Canada (, Ireland if they'd have us), New Zealand and Australia as insanely unrealistic as that'd be. Mostly because we'd probably be able to afford an actual space program between us rather than the current shit level of funding the British Space Program receives. I really want some British space colonies. Mostly so our royal family can count the dominion over "The sea of tranquillity" or something in their titles.

Honestly, if the Argies had a better economy right now, they'd probably stand a decent chance to electric boogaloo 2 the Falks.

>Click

As a leaf, I'd like to see that, but I think we'll all have our hands full for a good while.

No they won't. Even the Swedes are finally making noises about immigration, but not the Brits. There is not a single party or politician willing to take on their Islamophile deep state. The mother country is dead on its feet.

Can't wait for Penny to come back later in the series.

Fair enough. Best of luck with your own politics. God save the Union, God save the Commonwealth and God save us all from the coming darkness.

Also the Red White and Blue instead representing Mars, the Moon and Earth unified under a single government would be cool as shit. Plus you could have Royal space marines.

>Also the Red White and Blue instead representing Mars, the Moon and Earth
YES.

No... no they could not.

youtube.com/watch?v=E53mX2SwsG4

Not to mention that on mars red would be optical camouflage so we'd be able to go back to proper redcoat soldiers at least some of the time.

>Concentric circles of white, blue and red (smallest to largest) surrounded by stars (space stations, large vessels)

>avatarfag of anime so pleb tier /a/ banished it to /trash/
>tells people to GTFO for trying to talk about weapons

Attached: dis.jpg (680x680, 128K)

I also can't wait user

Attached: __penny_polendina_rwby_drawn_by_iesupa__314acd166cfae4cc6f8049830fcf6140.jpg (1674x1674, 498K)

Penny sucked

Penny is a super cutie and how dare you

British Army is full of basedboiz so clearly yes. British army is a joke. That anime girl however. Can she fend off my cock?

Realistically speaking could the British successfully invade anything?
No.

I'm getting 'nam vibes from this

>that vid
Kind of sad about Reeves Corner but aside from that, let it all burn

It'd look like Iraq on steroids desu, Irish army could do less than nothing to the British if they invaded, but the invasion and occupation would be deeply unpopular with the British public (probably enough to immediately cause collapse of the British govt. if an invasion did take place).

Then any occupation would be riddled with terrorist incidents, snipers and hit and run attacks which would further erode public support in the UK. Eventually the UK would withdraw. It'd look a lot like the Irish "war" of independence desu. Relatively low casualties for a european war because the Irish wouldn't have the means to partake in a field battle and the British wouldn't have the political will to go full concentraion camp like the germans or russians would have.

They can’t even fend off other Irish

Literally not a chance. Given the UK is capable of deploying 50k expeditionary force anywhere in the world - the Irish Defence Force wouldn't even know what hit them. TLAMs and Paveways would make a mess of any Ireland can field.

Attached: 1544242196512.png (874x403, 434K)

Realistically speaking, could you jam 4 dicks up your ass or is your limit 2?

yes