Top-loaders

What are the advantages and disadvantages of top-loading magazines, and why was the British army obsessed with top-loaders for ages?

Attached: Bren1.jpg (619x279, 35K)

>advantages
Gravity assists feeding, easier to reload while lying down and it looks aesthetic as shit.

>disadvantages
You can't centrally mount sights for one thing. There are probably more but I can't think of many.

>easier reload from prone
>gravity assisted feeding
>very easy for assistant gunner to assist in reloads

>You can't centrally mount sights...

Have you ever fired anything from outside of the realm of the fudds?

Since when is having centrally mounted sights such a disadvantage, in this scenario?

You now have some relatively thin bits protruding from the side of the firearm.

What?
Bro, yall niggas trippin.
I'm out, man.

It depends on HOW you opt to mount your sights/optics.

It isn't particularly but it is the only thing I can think of and even then only because I remember it being a feature on a Madsen from WW 1.

Your windage will be off when you adjust for elevation if your sights aren't centered over the bore

You can't zero offset sights such that point of aim is point of impact or else you will never hit anything far away.

IM A BIG DUM FUCC

Couldn't you get the benefits of both by having the magazine at an angle?

Yeah, why not have a top mounted magzine that curves off to the side until it's perpendicular to the receiver?

Not ambidextrous at all. I'm left handed and suffer because of it already

obstructs your vision

Lolwut? We're not talking about a misaligned scope on a durr raifu.

I mean probably but then you have a very unconventional gun. I mean most guns I've ever seen load their bullets at (relative to down) 0, 90 or 180 degrees.

I think there was a machinegun that did that but I can't remember.

>Couldn't you get the benefits of both by having the magazine at an angle?

you mean like to the side or bottom? what a novel idea.

Attached: 1536958857818.jpg (1883x1059, 547K)

wrong

wrong

I was thinking a setup where the bipod allows just enough freedom of rotation that you cant the rifle to one side for reloads then rotate it the other way to have access to the sights.

Bren gun was made by Czechs and Lewis gun by an American.