Jow Forums, nogunz here looking to purchase my first handgun...

Jow Forums, nogunz here looking to purchase my first handgun, but I'm nervous about going into a gun store and sperging out/looking like a mass shooter or a libtard. I've been to a couple local shops and mostly just wandered around looking at stuff, but I feel like i'm going to need advice from a salesman to get the right firearm. Should I be worried about this, or are most gun store clerks cool?

Attached: gun-store.jpg (775x517, 130K)

Attached: peter-griffin-who-the-hell-cares.jpg (460x324, 45K)

Depends on the store really. Some stores will be fudds giving you archaic out of touch advice, some stores will have fanboys or people working on incentives (glock/ruger/remington does this, though usually in the summer), or hell, you might even get someone who doesn't know jack shit.

I worked the gun counter before and I've even worked with an anti gun libtard who was only there because she needed a job and lied during the interview.

Do research online, watch some video, read store reviews, then go in and handle guns. You can gauge whether the guy helping you is talking out of his ass.

How much are you comfortable spending?
Do you have a caliber you must have?
What do you want to do with it? Carry? Range Toy? Home Defense?
How big are your hands?

Attached: 1356843974746.jpg (699x699, 114K)

What state you live in?

Watch some hicock45 vids on the gun you wanna get. you'll pick up some lingo along the way so you dont look retarded

Basically go in with this stuff in mind

1. What reason do you want the pistol? Qualities you'd like? Is it plinking? Is it for eventually concealed carry? Is it home defence?

2. What is your price range and what do you want to spend on ammo.

I'd say if you're going to be target shooting looked for a used ruger 22/45. Lots of them on the market and shooting is cheaper.

Ask the clerk if you could handle some of the guns you are interested in. Remeber the 4 rules of firearm safety while handling them and try to figure out if you can comfortably hold them and operate the controls. Just be sensible and ask them what you want to know, and if they do not give you good advice, you can take your bussiness elsewhere.

Attached: afrika.jpg (300x400, 41K)

Nobody likes the guy who thinks he knows more than anybody else. Coming into the gunshop like some basement dwelling sperg that knows all about these guns from a CoD perspective is just going to be annoying.

Identify what you two primary uses for the gun will be, your budget, and brands you would like to avoid (Taurus, Hipoint, etc). Aside from that, let the salesmen help you out. They are usually pretty cool if you aren’t acting like the CoD kid buying baby’s first blaster.

In pistols, consider Glocks, SIGs, S&W, and FN handguns that fit your hand, desired caliber, and criteria for most common employment (don’t go for a sub-compact if you are going to use it in competitions)

I'm happy spending 700-800$ all in, including accessories. I don't have a "Must Have" caliber, but I have a standard desire to shoot big guns. Not something I'd want to carry, I live in a relatively safe area, just something to take to the range/cabin and get better at pistol marksmanship. My hands are above average(?)

I heard about 10mm auto, and how you can run full loads for fuck off power and "FBI" loads for lower recoil, but the only reason I know about 10mm is through videogames.

MN

I don't really know what kind of gun I want to get, that's the problem.

Real talk here you're going to have more fun shooting a smaller round and too big of a round may be cost prohibitive and make shooting less fun.

Big rounds are fun, but shooting a bunch of big rounds aint that fun imo. I reccomend going to a shooting range and renting some guns to shoot and seeing how you like it before you buy.

Get a .22

don't do this desu
it's good for marksmanship fundamentals but not how to handle a rifle.

here

Don't get a 10mm as your first gun. Also to note, .40 S&W is dying off, avoid them for now until it blows over or dies.

The sweet spot is 400~600. Shoot for 9mm, and spend the rest of the money on ammo for range use.

I want you to ask and see if you can hold a Glock 17/19/22/23 and see how it feels. If it feels good, you're a glock person, if it's fucking terrible, you are not a glock person. It's pretty black and white.

If you are, glock is a good gun, albiet boring at the range. Pull trigger, go bang.

Sig Sauer P320 is pretty dope, I carry one daily and I love it. S&W M&P series are good but their trigger is a bit spongy, ask if you can dry fire said pistols.

Going in is no big deal. Ask if you can see a gun, hold it, fondle it, and ask if you can dry fire it.

Keep it pointed in a non stupid direction, aka at the floor or if they have a designated point to aim it.

Buy a good gun now that you'll practice with, get the deagle brand deagle for funsies later.

Hit me with questions if you got em.

Attached: 1362049777123.jpg (1503x2005, 1.05M)

Right. Point towards the floor if your at ground level, if they're located upstairs, point towards the ceiling.

>MN
I live in IL, but I got a buddy who lives in MN, and from what I understand, their laws are fairly relaxed, so go in relaxed, say you're a noob, and they'll likely walk you through it with no objection. They want to sell you something, so they'll make sure you're comfortable with small talk. Just have some things in mind:

what caliber are you interested in
manual safety/no safety
If you;re left-handed, might want to find a left-handed handgun

Also, as with anything, cheapest on the shelf doesn't usually mean best deal. Especially if it's a hi-point. Lower-mid, to mid prices are a good place to start if you're considering cost.

After that, it's whatever feels right in your hand.

Which for a person with nogunz who wants a pistol is a good thing. More shoot shoot less spend spend.

Anything to look out for in used firearms? Is it like used cars where it's a total crap-shoot and stuff might blow up in your hand?

I'll add, if it's a rimfire, do NOT dry fire it.

I've shot plenty of .22 as a wee bab. If i'm dropping what it costs to get a well-made firearm, I want something with a little bit more oomph that I can grow into.

Yeah. Avoid Hi-Point at all costs.

I'm not going to spend less than 400$ on a machine that could seriously injure me if it's not well made. Googling around about hi-points, they also look like cheap chinese garbage.

Dude trust me the whole "room to grow into" is not a great mindset to have especially if you're shooting half as much as you would with a .22 because you pay twice as much for ammo.

You can always sell the gun when you get tired of it.

I've only talked to a few gunstore guys in that area. They seem really chill and typically pretty humble they likely got an opinion about stuff but won't really push it on you.

It's probably a better idea to have an idea of what sort of gun you want caliber/manufacturer/model kind of thing. I went in for a carry revolver and knew what type of make and caliber, but talking with the guy I ended up getting a bobbed hammer DAO instead of a SA/DA with a hammer and I was way happier with the DAO.

Check the wear by inspecting the top of the barrel, and look for rust/pitting. If you can test fire it, test fire it. Most used guns from reputable companies are good. Never EVER buy a used Taurus/jemenez/H&R/cheap ass gun. Friends don't let friends buy Taurus. Their warranty is dicks now, only 1 year and they're cunts about fixing shit now.

Check the rifling, is it crisp, is it smoother than a lubed up slab of granite? Is there fowling that said gunshop didn't clean? Sometimes fowling isn't a big deal, but on surplus guns like makerov's that use corrosive primers, that shits ganna be fucked.

Check the price difference between a new and used gun. Also, if you're looking for used, bring cash nigguh. Haggle that price and see if they can come down on it, especially if you have cash. (No card charge for the shop = can sell it for less making the same amount.)

Attached: 577.gif (244x244, 303K)

I got my M&P Shield 2.0 for $370. Manufacturer plays a big role regardless of price.

Correct. Don't dry fire rimfire guns, aka .22 LR, .22 WMR, .22 short.

They're designed to crimp the rim to fire the round, so they can hit steel to steel and break the firing pin eventually.

Oh, as a note on this as well. Gen 3 glocks have what they refer to as an "octagonal barrel."

They look smooth, but this is intentional.

Attached: 1418610570020.jpg (2880x2131, 763K)

You’re a fucking autist, idc about your wants and needs faggot. Go ask your mommy to help you buy one since you’re too much of an antisocial faggot to have a conversation with a clerk.

From my experience, clerks at the LGS are just low on patience. The more information you can bring to them, and the clearer you can be about what it is what you want, the easier their job is. Just to make something up
>I need a handgun for self-defense
>It would be great if this handgun could also be used for concealed carry
>I'm new to firearms, so I'd like something easy to learn and maintain
>My budget is X
If you can, get a few suggestions, and go find an indoor range that does rentals if your LGS doesn't have one. Just come in, and act like a decent human being. Come in with a purpose, but be relaxed. If you handle some of the guns there, be safe and considerate.

To keep it short, don't waste their time. That doesn't mean you need to spend money at that moment in time. Just make it seem like they helped you along in the process

>I need a cheap pistol that can do everything
You're basically asking the guy to hand you a Glock 19 first.

>coors
my nigga

I just bought my first handgun two days ago, I've used plenty of my parents' when I was growing up, but now I'm ready to get an LTC so I picked up a Taurus G2C from Academy. It was a really easy process and only took a few minutes, don't make any school-shooting jokes or anything and you'll be fine.

Also, how did I do Jow Forums? I liked the G2C cause it was on the low end of cost, is double stack, and has a grip big enough for my hand without being too big to conceal.

It's ok, just make sure you shoot it a lot to make sure it's going to work for you.

Taurus as a company has gone downhill.

For anyone who's new to buying, legit just walk in and ask questions and try to zero in what you want.

Have a price in mind that you are COMFORTABLE spending, not something that's ganna break out. Hold them, feel them, see if it feels good in the hand.

Like above said, don't crack any stupid jokes like that or talk about "hanging out of your van and bustin caps." I have legit thrown people out of the shop for that shit.

*hushed voice* "Aw shiet man, that one looks good for hangin out da van and bustin caps."

"Ey mang can I see dat gun?"

"No."

Attached: Lelouch.gif (500x278, 1.3M)