First knife

What age do you think is appropriate to give a kid their first knife?
And what knives do you think would make good knives?
Pic related is my uneducated opinion.

Attached: 8980419346462_celum_144694_1280Wx1120H.jpg (1280x1120, 86K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Jkiij9dJfcw?t=244
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This is a great beginner blade

Attached: 99c491e1cf89e94d63a49b410f5eab36f70ec28b.jpg (2560x1353, 51K)

Look, im not saying i would or wouldn't give a child a sword, however, my state doesn't allow sword carry.

Attached: main-qimg-af61194eeb5fab3ac91675f7bc29fcd9-c.jpg (788x1920, 413K)

10, but be sure to teach him basic knife skills and safety before you give him his own.

I got my little bro a Victorinox Manager as his first knife.

Attached: 9025119322142_celum_149324_560Wx490H.jpg (560x490, 19K)

youtu.be/Jkiij9dJfcw?t=244

4:04 minute mark.

Most important: Supervise the kid during use too. Make sure it gets a feeling for the knife before you allow it to carry it.

A normal Victorinox with saw is ideal for a first knife.

Leatherman makes a tool specifically for kids. More functionality than a keychain SAK while still being designed for kid-sized hands, and it has an interesting feature where the knife blade comes separately and you can install it when you feel like your kid is ready for it.

It also has a locking blade with a relatively blunt tip, I know there are opposing schools of thought on whether locking blades are good for kids or not but I still have a 25+ year old scar on my thumb from when my kid hands lost grip on a full-size SAK blade and it snapped down on me, I think an easy-swinging locking blade is safer for a kid than a strongly sprung slipjoint.

Attached: leathermanleap.jpg (292x173, 6K)

>Opinel No.6 or a SAK.

5-10. Depending on how autistic your runt is.
Not a swiss army knife. A small folder. Kershaw. Buck. CRKT, whatever.

>being cucked by the state

>Not a swiss army knife
Definitely a swiss army knife. Everyone knows a swiss army knife. Nobody is going to give your kid shit for using one because nobody thinks of it as a weapon.

Attached: 2a04ce7416b50067a182980fd230f29d_400x400.jpg (400x400, 16K)

>using nutnfancy logic unironically
KYS

>Letting your child be murdered by police because you had to give him a tactical folder
Nice going, cheif.

Attached: Done with this shit.png (1337x1289, 217K)

>Kid accidentally brings small swiss army knife to school
"Mr. user, please make sure your kid doesn't bring this to school again"

>Kid accidentally brings scary black 'salt knife to school
"Mr. user, we regret to inform you that your child had brought a dangerous weapon to school and has been properly terminated by our schools rent-a-cop, please come by at your earliest convenience to pick up the remains"

Speled that rong.

Around seven. By then they'll be using your sharpest kitchen knives anyway. Giving them one of their own will increase their sense of responsibility, especially as you can take it away if they abuse that responsibility.

Swiss knives are fine. So are other small folders, and scouting knives. There's even special kid knives where the tip is ground away.

>kid accidently brings small swiss army knife to school
>expelled, an sited for violating the law
US 0 tolerance policy, o difference between a small swiss army knife or a sword. A blade is a blade to those fanatics.

>kid pulls phone to fast
>shot by police
I dont think what the kid has is what will dictate how it goes, it's how they act before getting shot, and how touchy the cop is.

Attached: giphy.gif (480x287, 1.21M)

I'm kinda agreeing with that rule. A school full of kids? There's always going to be a few bad apples the system hasn't weeded out. Kids who have known nothing but violence, or have not gotten the medication or treatment they badly need.

>was one of those kids
>bully shoved too hard one day
>tried to make spaghetti of his innard
>blade too dull to cut through jacket and shirt
>teeth were sharp enough
>had knife confiscated
>neither me nor bully were sent on leave
>was left alone for the rest of that school; totally worth the loss of a cheap folder

Long time ago, mind you. Today hell would have been loose. Back then school 'wanted no trouble'.

Mora Scout.

I'm damn near 30, and in HS I got suspended for a wallet chain, because it could be a weapon, when it was mostly so it was harder for the Mexican gangs to steal it.

I think my first knife was in 3rd grade or so. Parents gave it to me on my way back from scout camp. Small victorinox with just a blade. I cut my thumb open trying to open a pack of cards in the car on the way home. Surprisingly no stitches, good learning experience. Lost the knife when I moved. Still sad about that.

Typical first knife story:
Cut yourself? Check.
Lose it? Check.
Still regret losing it? Check.

One of those blunt tip moras

Attached: 1A44E5CD-44AF-43A4-99D0-BB196F324EB5.jpg (1024x1024, 39K)

My brother is going to be a father in January. I'm thinking about getting the kid a knife but giving it to his parents and just asking them to give it to him when they feel he's old enough. But since that won't be for years to come, I'm worried that the knife might get lost at some point if they move houses or something.

Should I just wait and not gift it at all until the kid is older? I should at least clear it with his parents, right?

Yeah, wait with this. Get him a teddy. Worst case, you'll have his parents fret about the knife and as a result they'll keep all knives away from him for as long as they can.

You're his uncle, don't clear it with parents, you are duty bound to give irresponsible and possibly dangerous gifts.

Refer to this image

Dubs checked.

IIRC I was 10 when I got my first SAK. I don't recall ever injuring myself with it.

Does the kid have the ability to follow safety instructions? My dad gave me a shiny red Victorinox Swiss Army knife when I was a boy scout (around 10 years old) and I’ve been collecting them and carrying them since.

>inna boy scouts
>go camping
>cold, not enough layers
>some other kid’s dad almost slides truck off side of cliff due to snow
>couple scouts get lost hiking for a while
>cut finger with swiss army knife trying to carve a giraffe out of soap
>recieve merrit badge
>try to jack off

boy scouts was alright

Attached: 002A8737-6D4D-4277-978A-D58251140EBE.jpg (2048x1536, 1.07M)

I got my first SAK when I was 7 or 8, same model as the one in OP, I cut my hands a few times but never badly enough to need stitches. DESU cutting yourself accidentally a few times is highly educational, and it's probably good to accidentally hurt yourself a few times before you have to handle something that has actual consequences, like a chainsaw or a forklift.

I don't think there's a set age and it should be up to the parent to decide based on their view of the child's level of responsibility, development, and general behavior.

I dunno, but when my Nephew turns nine I'm buying him a Buck 110

Attached: 124213432142.jpg (675x450, 37K)

my first was one of those

>Pic related is my uneducated opinion.
Dam right it is!

I had my first knife when I turned ten it was a red Swiss

Maybe go for something slightly smaller, cause lil bab hands and all.

Is that the combination bottle/can opener or something else?

What kind of kid would want a small knife over a big knoif?

Attached: 1470780293549.png (763x960, 375K)

>"Mr. user, we regret to inform you that your child had brought a dangerous weapon to school and has been properly terminated by our schools rent-a-cop, please come by at your earliest convenience to pick up the remains"

>implying the school cop wouldn't tactically shit his pants and run away ala Parkland

Combo bottle opener/screw driver/wire stripper

Kids are little people, with little pockets that cant hold the big stabby sticks.

Eight or nine.

Any pocket folder with an easy-to-sharpen carbon steel blade. The MacGuyver knife is wonderful, but it's a bitch to sharpen and kids get discouraged easily.

This, plus a pen instead of a toothpick.

this one will give him flashbacks

Attached: download (1).jpg (216x233, 5K)

I think I was like 7 when my dad gifted me a multitool. I wouldn't really give a "kid" something other than that or a sak.

I would recommend a butterfly knife, but I recommend more that you give him guns

Attached: 1545256809861.jpg (1024x1024, 174K)

my first knife was a 110, good choice

I was given my first knife at 5. The only time I have ever cut myself with my own knife was due to mechanical failure (liner on my cub scout knife broke, allowing the blade to rotate back well past the stop point).