Does anyone know what kind of penetration you'd get from an elephant gun against body armor...

Does anyone know what kind of penetration you'd get from an elephant gun against body armor? There are a whole raft of cartridges that give you ~5000 ft/lbs of energy and are usually loaded with solid jacketed or hardened projectiles. Would a .450 nitro or .458 Lott pen an armored target, or if it didn't, would the effect of being hit by such a huge round be debilitating?

Attached: 01[1].jpg (372x179, 68K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=JEKyq7BxTKg
m.youtube.com/watch?v=-sPPtp-iKLc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No and no.

Penetration is primarily from velocity, none of the traditional dangerous game rounds are particularly fast. The next factor in penetration is sectional density, and while it is generally decent in the big bores due to heavy for caliber bullets it's still not really any better than smaller calibers.

Energy transfer is generally irrelevant. A trauma plate has much more surface area than the buttstock off the rifle, anything capable of causing significant injury through a plate without penetrating it will do even worse to the person firing the rifle.

What counts as fast? Most of the 20th century ones are pushing 2600 fps.

3000+ at impact

This is why 5.56 M193 will penetrate steel that .30-06 ball wont

it would just fucking hurt, but a couple of shots could kill.

This.
Big-game rounds usually have miserable sectional density and insufficient velocity.

That said, while it wouldn't penetrate body armor, it would certainly give whoever was wearing the armor a very bad day. Debilitating? You bet. Especially if it was soft armor.

a steel core 30-06 is deadlier. two of my good friends were shot in Afghanistan. one was .556 in the shoulder and it went through the other was upper chest .762 it tumbled I guess because he died and had a massive cavity.

blue on blue?

>ball
>HURR STEELCORE

>.30-06
>Afghanistan
Yes I too enjoy lying on the internet for no reason

30-06 was used
manufactured in pakistan muh brah
NEXT

I've experienced this with xm193, pic related has taken countless 54r and 545, both steel cored, plus lots of 762x39.
XM193 from my RPK at 100 yards = instant plate death, and the 2nd identical plate even gets pockmarked worse than any of the other rounds do ot the first, probably just the punched out metal chunk hitting it really fast because it's hard to imagine the bullet itself not being fragged to hell.

Attached: Backstop.jpg (1650x1238, 456K)

IV8888 made a video firing a Civil War cannon at a plate and it managed to bulge it significantly while still not breaking through.

Safari rifles are the antithesis of armor penetration. To cut through armor, you need something with high velocity, hardened projectiles, and a pointed tip to minimize surface area on impact. All biggest game cartridges are around 2000fps, use solid lead projectiles, and have rounded or even flat tips.

Soft armor you would be dead

Shit in soft armor there's an 80% guarantee you'll fly 10ft backwards like in the movies.

Penetration is not always necessary, unless it's something huge, like a tank.

Remember that in ye olden days, the most effective weapons against armored knights were maces, hammers, and other blunt trauma weapons, next to arrows. More knights would die from the steel of their own armor bending, and penetrating their flesh than the actual weapon piercing, and mortally wounding them (save for soft spots in the armor).

We haven't power armor, so assuming the armor we're talking about is modern day kevlar, then a fuck-huge elephant round would knock the air out of the target, if not kill it immediately, or later due to trauma.

AR-15s Are More Powerful Than Elephant Guns, The Thread

>More knights would die from the steel of their own armor bending, and penetrating their flesh than the actual weapon piercing, and mortally wounding them
Oh, oh, do the one about how knights had to be hoisted into the saddle with cranes next!

Attached: cow patty.jpg (513x343, 57K)

I mean you probably wouldn't need the penetration, as you would fuck every bone in their torso and collapse shit from the impact. There is a seriously ludicrous amount of energy being dumped in that situation.

Eh, the muzzle energy of an safari rifle is a little more than half what a major lague baseball player swings a bat with. If you're wearing armor on your torso you might break a rib or two but it's not that bad.

Bullets vs armor protection is a running race that's always ongoing. There is body armor that can stop .50bmg's.
There use to be man portable rifles that could shoot through a tank. Armor can't stop everything. In WWII they definitely used safari type rifles for sniping. I'd be surprised if a modern level 4 plate that can stop multiple 308's could handle one or two of those. The mass and velocity of the bullet is really extreme. I wouldn't be surprised if modern armor could randomly take a hit or not from that sort of thing. Although even if it stops it, I'd still think it'd be debilitating.

>WWII they definitely used safari type rifles for sniping

Lolno.
Big game hunting is usually done at very close distances with express sights. Those are miserable for long-range accuracy, and so is the trajectory of the round.

>>I'd be surprised if a modern level 4 plate that can stop multiple 308's could handle one or two of those. The mass and velocity of the bullet is really extreme
The mass is high, yes. But the velocity is lower than most modern rifles. And as we have already stated, a big game bullet has poor sectional density, which is key for armor penetration. Big and slow does not penetrate armor. Small and fast does.

>> I wouldn't be surprised if modern armor could randomly take a hit or not from that sort of thing
there are plenty of videos up on YT showing this exact thing being tested. We know damn well the rounds are stopped.

I think you are confusing pounds (force) with ft-lb (energy).
Post work or citation please.

They actually did hire, contract, borrow safari guns to punch through steel plates. The british used them to counter german snipers who would inch up through no mans land behind these rolling steel barricades and the germans used large bore rifles for anti tank purposes. Were these every day occurrences? Hardly. Did they have any devastating effect? Not really, but it was the notion of big gun make big hole that brought up the idea.

Anti-armor =/= sniper

not to mention WW1 trench armor =/= modern body armor

I seem to remember that video going differently. The parrot cannon against I believe it was ar 500 armor. It was a video about antiquated firearms and projectiles vs modern body armor, and I seem to recall that video ending with the plate shattering and almost shearing the dummy in half with the shrapnel. The cannon round didn't actually penetrate, but the resulting fragments of steel from your armor would most certainly kill you. It was a step up from merely bulging the plate.

It actually bent the armor into a perfect shape of the projectile. That's the real show of how bad it is at penetrating. It did everything but go through.

Oh, they did two videos shooting armor with a cannon!
m.youtube.com/watch?v=JEKyq7BxTKg this is the one he was talking about, very odd setup.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=-sPPtp-iKLc this one is the one I watched, relevent. Two very different results from these tests. One merely bulged the plates, the other ended up shattering it with no penetration

Yep. The cannon has the same problem as the big-game rifles. Yes, they are very powerful in terms of energy, but their sectional density is poor, as is their velocity.

You need to leverage the same principles as APFSDS tank projectiles. Stick a hardened steel rod in that cannon, e.g. a drill bit blank, a drift punch, socket extension, or similar. 1/2" or so diameter, about a foot long, as the projectile. Wood sabot. That thing would go right through body armor.

speaking of sectional density being so important, here's a little fuck-around test I did years ago.

>Get 1 foot square piece of lexan, 1/2 inch thick
>duct tape it to cardboard target
>shoot it at 5 yards with various handguns
>9mm FMJ out of a Beretta 92 penetrates the plastic but only dents the cardboard behind it
>45 ACP out of full-size 1911, also FMJ, bounces off the lexan and nearly hits me in the shins. left a dent in the lexan that looked like a ball pein hammer hit it.
>10mm flat nose target ammo out of Glawk 20 goes straight thru
>10mm flat nose full house original FBI load goes straight through leaving a perfect round hole and several cracks in the lexan.
>454 Casull lead flat nose out of Super Redhawk 7 1/2" bbl goes straight thru as above.
>.45 LC lead flat nose out of the same bounces like the .45 ACP but left a bigger dent
>357 mag out of 6"bbl S&W 686 straight through with both HPs and flat nose
>.38 spl wadcutters out of the same, penetrates plastic, dents cardboard.
>.44 Mag HP out of S&W 8" bbl stopped, but just barely. Round fragmented and stuck in lexan.
>.44 Mag lead flat nose out of same straight through.
>.44 spl FMJ stuck in lexan but did not penetrate or dent cardboard

Note the 9mm outperforms .45 ACP, despite being weaker. In fact, the .45 caliber fared poorly unless it was full house magnum loads. (note that .44 mag/spl actually measures .429 despite its name "44")

10mm is superior as usual.