PTR 91

Im looking to get an HK91 or a PTR91. I see some HK91s out there but they are generally atleast 3k. I dont mind spending the money but if I drop 3k on a classic firearm thats mint I probably wont shoot it much. If I get a PTR i wont feel bad blowing 1000rds of steel case out of it... There is a model on the PTR Website (PTR101) and they state that the lower is made of steel. I do see some of the units with a polymer lower out there. I inquired with 3 or 4 different sellers on gun broker giving them the same UPC and theyre saying the lower is polymer. MFG says metal they say polymer...so which fucking on is it!?

gunbroker.com/Item/794650461
ptr-us.com/product/gir-ptr-101/

These two are the same rifles same UPC some people say metal some people say polymer.

These seem pretty well received except for douche bag retard nutnfancy's review on it. I hate that autists rant reviews anyway... literally goes on for 1hr about nothing talking in circles.

The rifle pictured is the polymer lower version where the grip is molded to the trigger group, i believe.

Attached: PTR.jpg (1000x589, 203K)

Other urls found in this thread:

atlanticfirearms.com/products/ptr-gi-308-rifle-w-o-rail
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Have you tried asking ptr directly?

Not OP. I had contacted PTR about their barrels over the summer and had never heard back from them.

Attached: Owl n PTR.jpg (4608x2920, 2.66M)

>literally goes on for 1hr about nothing talking in circles.
that pretty much sums up all nuntnfancy vids

He didn't even review the right rifle.

The GI models have steel lowers, the rest have plastic. I think.

Honestly dude you’re nitpicking over one of the least important features, since you can just buy a metal lower for cheap.

You should be concerned about a rail vs. no rail on the receiver, the finish, and whether is comes with a paddle mag release or not.

You’re also not missing anything in original HK vs. PTR, besides it having HK in the side. Comparing my buddy’s HK and my PTR side by side, everything is easier to manipulate including the trigger being much lighter on the PTR and the PTR has less recoil for whatever reason. Besides that they’re the same gun.

Attached: E7212A14-0581-422F-867A-E9B8160BC5C4.jpg (800x550, 81K)

atlanticfirearms.com/products/ptr-gi-308-rifle-w-o-rail

thanks. I think I want to get the PTR because then i can put a 1x8 scope or something on it with out fucking around with the claw mount

no answer yet...

Is there a way to get the black powder coat finish PTR91 without the rail and with a metal lower, or will I have to live with the rail or buy my own lower?

if you dont want the rail then don't get the rail, period. I see no reason not to other than aesthetics but hey it'd be your rifle.
you can easily replace the lower with a metal one, you can't exactly scrape off the rails.

Actually wanting to pay for the most archaic "Battle Rifles" ever made...You sweet Summer Child

The PTR GI's all have metal Lowers, the other ones are polymer

If you are going to buy one just fucking ask them to send you a picture of the Gun, If it looks like the Lower and the Grip are separate pieces its a Steel lower, if it looks like it is one piece then it is Polymer.

It's winter, dumbass.

The newer models of the GI/GIR have the surplus metal trigger housings. If a seller is telling you that they have a GI with a polymer lower, it's an older model.

>These seem pretty well received except for douche bag retard nutnfancy's review on it.

To be fair, he was right about being better off with something else if you're going to trust your life with the gun. Also, nutnfancy wasn't the only guy to give the rifle a bad review either.

mobile devices have made summer endless.

Wrong. My PTR91 GI is the poly lower.

Which is better, this or the FAL?

They changed it a year or so ago. New GI's have metal lowers.

I posted from PC. I already own a LMT MWS 308 (AR10)...a noveske spr...lwrci piston ar, hk mr556, colt 6940, ...the list goes on. the AR platform is getting boring...

i already have a dozen guns i would use before that to trust my life with. i just want something different to shoot.

Probably the FAL for a few small reasons like Rhodesian aesthetic or reduced recoil and better controls, but overall they're very similar. PTR is much cheaper, though.

look at all the different roller lock lowers and you'll be able to tell which are polymer and which are metal. the lower really doesn't matter that much since you can always swap it for something else
HK91 is missing a paddle release, you could have it added but it will probably cost you $500+
you should be able to get an HK91 for closer to 2000-2500 if you look out for one
if you just want a shooter and don't care about having a "real HK", you should probably buy the PTR. even the ultra snobs on hkpro will agree with this

I bought my PTR 91 GIR in February of this year from Grabagun. It has a metal lower.

Attached: IMG_1307.jpg (1703x407, 207K)

if it's strictly for LARP reasons, consider saving some dosh on a C308 that's warrantied by PTR. Or even an older CETME.

>PTRs now come standard with a paddle mag and steel lower
I almost regret buying mine years ago when that wasn’t the standard.

>To be fair, he was completely fucking wrong about using something else if you're going to trust your life with the gun.
The roller locker system when it is in good shape is simple and incredibly violent. It is very resistant to jamming and bad ammo.

You would have to be a complete autist to not be able to admit how reliable these things are.

>army man green
i quite like this and didnt know i wanted it...fuck

Is the parkerizing on your GIR very dark or is it just the lighting?
I see stock pictures and it seems like a much lighter gray than that, same with the furniture looking lighter in stock pictures.

From what I read their early models had the poly trigger group. Newer ones will have the SEF HK metal housing. Here is my green GI model with the newer housing

Attached: ptr 91 GI.jpg (810x1080, 125K)

Order the PTR A3S from Atlantic Firearms. It's their 91 with the powder coat. It's an Atlantic Firearms exclusive.

Is there something like that without the rail, or would something like cerakote mimic the look well enough?
Not that the rail is a huge deal, just curious.

bumping with my big boi

Attached: 20171126_143620-01.jpg (2421x1120, 736K)

is that the ptr91fr? and does the rail come off on its own?
and does the handguard install like any other?
can i shoot it?

The lighting in that pic made it look a little darker.

>Drill gas port in PTR barrel
>fire cleaning kits at the enemy while you shoot

You can find steel lower ptr91s on Atlantic firearms all day

Kinda unrelated, but does anyone have experience with their MP5?

>The rifle pictured is the polymer lower version where the grip is molded to the trigger group, i believe.

the plastic (navy as it's called) is the newer style housing, the metal is the old G3 housing.

>and does the rail come off on its own?

It's welded on

i kinda want the old housing and put wood furniture on it...im just going to a retro range toy.

Nutnfancy's philosophy-of-use for his rifles is high-speed, low-drag sheepdog LARPing. He's right that G3s aren't the most modern choice, and you can definitely build a lighter, more accurate AR-10 for the same budget, but his own use scenarios don't value exactly how durable and reliable these fucking things are. They'll eat anything, straight from plastic training surplus to Uncle Fudd's double-charged "bigfoot" handloads. Because there's no gas system and the action is violent as hell, even black powder won't have a problem and won't cause as many fouling issues as it will in a piston-driven or DI AR-10. G3s are just fine if you want an apocalypse rifle but aren't planning on marching across the country.

The newer GI models have the metal lower. I love my PTR and don't worry about it getting scuffed while at the range. They are awesome rifles and a lot cheaper than the older H&K rifles, plus there are many parts in common.

Ill sell you one