Why use 458

what is this round designed for and is it worth it as a first ar 15 build?

Attached: 458SOCOM.jpg (377x471, 26K)

458 is extremely expensive, the cheapest shit I can find is like 1.50 a round, you aren't going to find it in any local gun store

1) stuff that you will never do
2) no, blackout is the retarded meme choice anyway.

It's a "door kicker" round, meant to put as much energy into a target from, like, 20ft away. It's good at that and nothing else. Build a 5.56 like everybody else.

It's literally the ballistics of a blackpowder .45-70, which killed a hell of a lot of buffalo, in an AR-15. The only reason not to get one is if you're a tremendous dick-sucking faggot like half of Jow Forums, with their obsession with feminine penises and whatnot.

>Not just getting .45-70 Auto

>what is this round designed for

specifically to put down meth-infused somalians who would shrug off 5.56 and take bites out of people

>is it worth it as a first ar 15 build?

No you fucking retard. Why the fuck would you use .458? I guaran-fucking-tee that you just think muh big special forces bullet is cool and all you're going to be doing with your PSA it-came-with-a-complete-upper-receiver-but-I'm-still-calling-it-a-build "build" is shooting paper targets at the 25 yard line of an indoor range, anyway, so you might as well go with the bullet that averages 28 cents a round.

Attached: angry wolf.jpg (305x252, 36K)

fuck you i want to hunt cryptids with my magic socom silver bullets

>people have used 45-70 for years
>damn near recreate it for an AR with .458
>HURR YOU SPECIAL FORCES WANNABE

Would not recommend for a first AR build. Go with 5.56 like everyone else or .300 if you're feeling special. They are much easier to find parts for and are not as finicky. I believe .458 actually requires an upper receiver with a larger ejection port because of the size of the case. 458 was designed at the request of SOCOM to do SOCOM stuff, so stuff you probably won't do. It might be an okay hunting round, though 6.5 Grendel was specifically designed for hunting so go with that if you want to build an AR for that purpose. I wouldn't say it's a particularly fun cartridge to shoot either. It has lots of kick, is expensive, and only 9 or so fit in a standard AR mag.

Man, I'm not saying that everybody who uses or wants to use .458 only has an interest in the cartridge because it's big and has SOCOM in the name.

I'm just saying that's exactly why OP is interested in it.

>Can't find at LGS

My tiny LGS is literally a unicorn shop. They keep a box of practically unused rounds like 7.92x33 kurtz. They have at least 1 or 2 boxes of everything and if your a regular the owner will stock up specifically for you

Because you can have 30 round 556 mags and call them 458

458 SOCOM ballistically is similar to gov 45-70. Ammo is pricey. The advantage is swap out a barrel and your 5.56 is now a very viable deer, pig and elk gun. Not to mention is looks cool as shit.
Detroit ammo has decent prices on 458 SOCOM and hey the box is stamped Detroit Ammo.

>The advantage is swap out a barrel and your 5.56 is now a very viable deer, pig and elk gun
5.56 is just as viable for hunting those same exact things.

>223 is the same as 45-70

I’m probably one of the few ITT that have a 458 Socom.
It’s expensive to get into, but brass lasts forever and it’s a round that will literally pay for a basic Lee reloading and casting setup within a batch or two.
It’s awsome. But not what I would pick as my first AR.
Also, Nosler 45-70 300gr “factory seconds” or “Blems” are the greatest thing you will discover for hog thumping.

Attached: 60DD7CDD-B50F-4A96-BC36-EB8F15B39918.png (1125x2001, 582K)

I'm not saying its the same retard. I'm saying you can still hunt deer, pigs, and fucking elk with 5.56.

Why waste your time with some pussy bullet that has to have damn near vital penetration. When you could blow it all away?

Ummmmmm no sweetie
223 *can* and *has* killed them, but it is no where NEAR the critter killer a 458SOCOM is.
I reload and hunt with 223, 300BLK and 458Socom btw

>.223
>Elk
Hardly.

You don't hunt do you sweetie? Go back to your video game.

Supposedly the idea for it goes back to the mid-90s. Supposedly survivors from Mogadishu who used shorty 10" and 14.5" M16 variants and the then-new M855 greentip ammo complained that it lacked muh stoppan powah.

So a number of companies looked at larger calibers for the AR15/M16 platform, some with an eye to military contracts, some with the idea that the right cartridge could make the AR platform viable for hunting big North American game.

Tony Rumore at Tromix was one of the first in this new niche. .458 SOCOM was, he said, designed to give the same ballistics as the old .45-70 Government in an AR15/M16 platform. Load it with 300-350 grain hollowpoints for CQB, or 400+ grain softnoses for hunting elk or even moose in thick woods country. There is even subsonic ammo with a 600gr bullet, that has a lot more "smack" than any subsonic load in .300 Blackout, though the ammo may not reliably cycle ARs with barrels shorter than 12" or so due to gas pressure curve problems.

.458 SOCOM was one of the first but it isn't the only one of the new AR15 niche cartridges. There's also .450 Bushmaster (restricted to .45 caliber handgun bullets, though, the heaviest of which are the same weight as the very lightest 458 SOCOM bullets), .50 Beowulf, the new .375 SOCOM, and so on.

There were similar ideas and experiments in other platforms. Would you believe the old 1980s .45 Winchester Magnum cartridge (an extra-long stretched .45 ACP loaded to .44 Mag power levels for the Wildey stainless semiauto pistol) in an M1 Carbine? Tim LaFrance built just a few as short-range "thumpers" for CQB and/or hunting whitetail deer and feral hogs, for which it seems to work pretty well.

I've been looking at
>pic related
It seems worth building, honestly.

Attached: 20181218_120457.jpg (1709x2473, 2.31M)

If you're willing to accept the tradeoff of the ammo being even more of a special snowflake boutique item than .300 Blackout, go for it.

If you want your AR to also be a good brush gun then go for it. Otherwise I wouldn't recommend it.

I already have a 300 blkout in a 10.5 pistol but came across this and everything I've read on it and videos I've seen, it seems like a good round and a good bit better than a 300

Can 458 socom stop a charging grizzly?

Not saying it isn't a good cartridge or well designed. Just saying that it's not going to be easy to find. Do you reload?

With its 45/70-ish ballistics I'd call it marginal for that. Alaskan brown bear are enormous and extremely tough, very hard to kill quickly. Some professional hunting guides use old doubles or bolt guns in African big game hunting calibers with "Nitro Express" in the name as weapons of last resort should it prove necessary to go into the thick brush after a wounded grizzly, and those don't always do the job quickly enough to keep someone from getting chewed on.

CAN they stop a charge? Sure, sometimes. I recall reading that back during the Great Depression a Metis woman in Canada was out hunting one winter, and stumbled across a pissed-off grizzly that was out hunting instead of hibernating like the book says they're supposed to be. She was armed with a single-shot .22 rifle.

She waited for the bear to get within contact distance, stuck the muzzle of the rifle in the bear's mouth, and shot the bear through his soft palate and punched a hole in its brain with a .22 hollowpoint. The bear fell down, as dead as fried chicken. Her neighbors told the newspaper reporters. It was a minor sensation for a while and she was in some newsreels.

So, can a .22 stop a charging grizzly? It happened once. It's not the optimum tool, though, and it's not the way to bet. Nothing under 9.3x64mm Mauser, .375 H&H, or .458 Win Mag is an especially good choice for charging grizzlies in dense brush, and .577 Nitro Express isn't a bad idea, if you can get a rifle and the ammo.

Yeah I reload all my 300 blkout. I didn't realize how much I could actually save. I would assume you could reload 300 ham'r

How much is a .300 Hambeast rifle, anyway?

>what is this round designed for

To wound

I mean I could, I know people who take hogs with .222.
But I wouldn't.

the 451 CUMSOCK penetrates paper targets better imo

Building or buying your first AR in a meme caliber is literally one of the worst decisions you can make in your life.

My lgs sells numerous buffalo bore loads, 20rd boxes for roughly $60.
This is bullshit. Was literally developed for 250yds and in, and will absolutely fuck any living thing within those parameters.
It's a great hunting round, albeit within 250yds. Good for thick underbrush as the mass prevents too much deviation. There are plenty of quality parts and manufacturers that support large bore AR builds. It's actually very fun to shoot and the recoil isn't any worse than a 20g shotgun.
Thread is finally redeemed by hasgunz, I've been subliminally trying to plant the .458 bug in Jow Forums ever since I finished my build. Would agree it's probably not the best intoAR, but for somebody who doesn't really like AR's, if I was gonna own one I figured it might as well be in .458.
Why the fuck would you shoot an elk with a .223? Bragging rights? When it comes to hunting I advocate overkill as long as the creature's intact after you shoot the damn thing, never underkill.
If not, there's 9 more in the mag. If I thought I'd get mauled by a bear it would definitely be the gun I reach for before leaving the house.
Black butterfly churns this shit out like hotcakes and the crate will hit your doorstep within 3 days of ordering.
No regrets.

Attached: notmyenergydrink.jpg (1428x2688, 1017K)

>not using 500 automax

I've always thought that if you're getting a 45-70 you might as well get into reloading because of the insane savings.

One day I'll have myself a Marlin 45-70 guide gun.

Basically .45-70 in a 5.56 pattern AR.

30 round mag becomes 10 round mag of 500gr bullets that hit like a fucking freight train.

It was designed to pretty much drop any living thing within 250 yards (like .45-70) but in an easily convertible AR platform.

Anyone have experience with the MWG 90 rounder? As its seems to be the only drum magazine compatible with most of not all cartridges that fit in standard stanag magazines.
Its been around since the 80's and I heard that magazines produced just before the 94' AWB had reliability issues, But that any magazines produced before/after the AWB are durable and reliable.

Attached: 458socomwmg90.jpg (768x1024, 522K)

Attached: beodrum.jpg (559x512, 67K)

Aren't those marginally more reliable than a Beta C's?

Attached: Double_drum_magazine_filled.png (1920x871, 648K)

That would be fine considering they are more then marginally less expensive then the Beta C, Again I've only heard good things about the mags produced before and after the rush of the 94' AWB.

Attached: 30sh6cn.jpg (640x480, 32K)

>PSAit-came-with-a-complete-upper-receiver-but-I'm-still-calling-it-a-build "build" is shooting paper targets at the 25 yard line of an indoor range,

I've never done anything to you user why do you hate me so much.

Poorfag defected

Stop projecting.

Maybe in Farcry 5.

A couple shops here have it. Will say Wal-Mart or Field and stream have it? No.

But local shops tens to stock every type to at least a few boxes. Not like its gonna expire.

>The only reason to get one is if you're a tremendous dick-sucking faggot like half of Jow Forums

FIFY

>It's literally the ballistics of a blackpowder .45-70, which killed a hell of a lot of buffalo, in an AR-15.
Now that I know this is a thing. My life is complete.

Because you are a retard, retard. If you want some sissy coated cucked shit that makes you feel good go back to your reddit safe space. If you can't handle the truth then lurk more. Nigger.

Attached: download.jpg (225x225, 8K)

.500AM would be my first and only choice for hunting werewolves and various other large fake monsters

What are the pros and cons between .458 and .50 Beowulf?

Attached: 458-SOCOM-vs.-50-Beowulf-300x230.jpg (300x230, 13K)

Nothing you can take advantage of without being neck deep into reloading gear.

You’d probably wanna carry a back up AR chambered in 300 HAMR since 500 automax mags hold only 5 bullets

Yeah good point. So I got my 500AM, I got either an SBR or AR pistol in 300HAMR, what else do I need for my mythical creature loadout?

Silver bullets.

An EMF reader so you possibly know when something is nearby and it’s fucking with you, and faraday cages around electronics and maybe your head, since some of them seem to have the ability to mentally fuck with you presumably using electromagnetism. You’d probably want thermal optics as well

>and faraday cages around electronics and maybe your head, since some of them seem to have the ability to mentally fuck with you presumably using electromagnetism.

Attached: weirdalfoil_2322.jpg (350x347, 23K)

th.th..that AR is sexy. FUCK.
I don't even LIKE AR's and I want it.
My boner and I would like the details on the build/where you bought it.