Is there even a point to .30-30 anymore?

Is there even a point to .30-30 anymore?
>too expensive to plink
>while ok for hunting, it's outclassed by modern ammo
>shouldered case so illegal to hunt deer in some states
The only reason would be to get a levergat, but I feel like .357 or .44 might be a better option since you can share ammo with a revolver and make reloading simpler. Or go full hog and just get a .45-70.

Attached: 12098_ts.jpg (1155x1155, 95K)

Do you or a family member have a rifle chambered in it? Neat use that instead of buying a new rifle. Do you like the cowboy aesthetic? Yee haw. Do you get hard for Norman Rockwell Americana? Fucking damn right you do. Then it's a good gun.

/thread

Outclassed nothing. It's light weight, light recoiling, and kills deer dead.

There is one purpose. You can get old 94s and 336es for nothing.
I guess that makes it the .40 S&W of lever action rifle cartridges.

What does it matter to you OP.
If you don’t like it, then don’t buy it.
Stop bitching

You don't "plink" with anything that isn't .22LR, 9mm, .223/5.56 or 7.62x39

You buy something like .30-30 because you like the rifle it comes in, and you're either hunting or zeroing your rifle; that's it

>he doesn't like all his guns
>he doesn't plink with all of his guns
Hello glocktard

.45-70 is comparable to a shotgun slug in terms of recoil and way more than what is needed to drop a deer reliably. .30-30 is an excellent deer/hog cartridge out to 150 yards, which is a long shot in parts of the US.

Dont be poor.

Best advice itt.

I plink with 577/450.

It's super easy to reload and cast bullets for. That would be the main appeal IMO.

>He doesn't "plink" with his hand crafted, double barrel .375 H&H that his great great grandfather hunted elephants with in India when it was still ruled by the British Raj.
American "gentlemen", everyone.

Attached: Royal-Double-Rifle.jpg (1000x233, 35K)

a lever gun makes more sense in handgun like .44 or large bore like .45-70 desu

>He doen't plink with 7.62 NATO

Attached: 1530070044058.jpg (1024x434, 56K)

In Europe PPu 30-30 is 8€ a box of 20 150gr wich is on par with bottom tier tula 308 and meh tier German nato surplus...
but rem win and hornady 30 30 is 25 30€ a box where decent (GGG, s&b, magtech, Ppu) is 14 and match (GGG norma PPUmatch ) 17 25...

the issu is Us ammo maker

>outclassed by modern ammo
Are deer shot with "modern ammo" any more dead than deer shot with a .30 WCF?

30-30 rounds with a 30 cal round ball and a few grains of Unique are ideal plinking and rodent loads with basically infinite brass life that just cost a few cents a pop.
It doesn’t make sense to go buy all the stuff to make those loads (unless you really want to) but if you already reload, and cast, and have a leverghat then 30-30 is a no-brainer plinker

>you can't hunt with 3030 in a couple states, so instead you should consider a PCC that you can't hunt with in all the states

Uh, OP?

>7.62x51r
Massive rimmed case that barely out performs 7.62x39 and gets absolutely stomped on by 7.62x51. What the point? You can used reduced power 7.62/.308 to match the “low recoil” or absolutely blow it out of the water with normal loads that can kill more reliably when you shooting at something a little beefier than your 130lbs durr

Dude, who fucking cares. A good used .30-30 is like $350. Every gun beyond your CCW is an impractical hobby piece, so stop being a cunt.

I got a NIB 336 for $340 at Wally World after a MIR a few Black Fridays ago

Oh great, another “[Beloved traditional rifle or cartridge] IS OBSOLETE BRO YOU NEED TO OPERATE HIGH SPEED LOW DRAG LOL JUST GET AN AR” thread.

I'll plink with whatever the fuck I want to thanks.

this kinda, unless you actually hunt with it
you need two guns, one for defense against tyranny
> it has to use the same ammo as the military
and one for personal defense
> ccw pistol

>.357 or .44
.357 doesn't exist in the same universe as the .30-30. .44 can't match it either except at very close range.
>full hot and just get a .45-70
Expensive as fuck to shoot.

.30-30 is tits, don't care if it's outclassed, it still works and is fun to shoot.

Not OP, but frankly im not going to bother getting a Lever Action unless its in one of these three calibers:
- .357 magnum
- .44 magnum
- .45-70 govt
Mostly for revolver compatibility to go with it. The 45-70 being there as a shotgun (slug) replacement or just because I wouldnt be willing to buy a lever for anything else beyond the revolver rounds.
> .44 out of a lever is good enough

Im not a fan of the heeled stock 336 marlin handle, the stock has to be straight on the bottom side, and I wont get a frontloader like a goldenboy because you cant top it off so I would have to go with something like a model 92. Forget big ass loop levers, im not sticking my whole hand in that thing anyway.
I could sure use me an Octagon barrel but I probably wouldn't be willing to pay for it. I like longer barrels too like 20-24 inches.

Attached: 7bcf5b2d63544b64edfe843df78afef2_1__v_1401705449.jpg (900x192, 11K)

>Wouldn’t Bother with a 30-30, 35 Rem or the patrician 348 Win

Attached: ACA2BAA2-1BF8-4A63-976F-0F48A18EBB20.gif (300x223, 497K)

>You don't "plink" with anything that isn't .22LR, 9mm, .223/5.56 or 7.62x39

So that to my face and not online.

Attached: IMG_20181107_215607.jpg (1488x1984, 407K)

>$250 lever guns
>Longer, flatter shooting than pistol cartridges

Goddamn I want a lever action in 357 max.

>too expensive to plink
so pick up a lee loader for $30 and reload
you can also make legit plinking rounds that way
>while ok for hunting, it's outclassed by modern ammo
a. what is leverevolution
b. it has killed literally millions and millions of dead deer over a hundred years
>shouldered case so illegal to hunt deer in some states
so live in a non-retarded state

>The only reason would be to get a levergat, but I feel like .357 or .44 might be a better option since you can share ammo with a revolver and make reloading simpler. Or go full hog and just get a .45-70.

or you could go full Jow Forums and buy all 4 and then get a progressive press

Do you hate fun?

Attached: 3030336.jpg (2665x1876, 3.16M)

I heard about "cats sneeze" .30-30s and I' intrigued but I dont want to squib

If you want to own a lever action in an obsolete cartridge.

8-10gr unique for a 170 gr bullet. I call them "pillows" and they have around the same muzzle velocity as a .357 magnum

.45-70 outdates it by quite a bit

I’ve got a 94 trapper in 44 MAGNUM, it’s a tits tier deer gun. 94/10

Knocking down bowling pins, beer cans, and steel pieces of mining equipment I find, while working the hammer as fast as I can on my waffle top is the greatest joy I know in life. Sex doesn't even come close.
Hoping the Peacemaker can be nearly as enjoyable when I settle on what I want.

>.45-70 has universal recoil
Flap your cock holster some more

Good deer rifle, hell, good enough for blackbear too. Good for lever gats, outclasses 357 or 44 for power, and muh shared ammo is a meme. 45-70 and 500 s&w are better, but more money for the rifle and ammo, so again, pretty eh
Also, too expensive to plink is debateable, its only 70 cpr average

It's a perfectly okay round for hunting most critters in the lower 48 states, up to elk. People have killed a LOT of moose and Alaskan brown bear with it too, but it's on the light side for them and there are much better choices available today for those particular species.

As a general purpose round for centerfire target shooting or self-defense? It'll work but lever guns have not been on the short list of recommended self defense firearms for a very long time now, and I've never heard of a benchrest shooter using 30/30.

Leverguns are neat 19th Century tech--I'm trying hard here not to call them "steampunk." Lots of people like them. People hunt with them because deer don't shoot back.

On the other hand, if you're going to shoot in high volume, the Winchester 94 and Marlin 336 are mechanically complex and much harder to get apart and back together for basic maintenance than, say, a Mauser 98 or a Mosin-Nagant, much less a Garand or an AK. This was acceptable because they weren't designed for military applications and were never intended for high volume shooting.

There's a point to 30-30 but it's a small niche.

poor people shouldn't own guns

This. .30-30 is a fantastic round for wooded brush and is a deadly great round for 200 yards or less which is what most people hunt in. Pleasant to shoot and very interesting case design.

Attached: D7E2C47D-2753-4E43-8C3E-4C5076974658.jpg (960x720, 90K)

>this is the same faggot who every week makes a thread about how you only need a 5.56, .308 and 9mm

Leave and never come back