Do you think is wrong to romanticize or give sentimentalism to war?

Do you think is wrong to romanticize or give sentimentalism to war?

Attached: 6152011.jpg (640x503, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=O1CQ7Vwz8Eo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Fundamentally, no. But it takes a skilled hand to ride the line between tasteful and tasteless

No. War is what you choose to make it.

Attached: 1537757607935.jpg (700x697, 99K)

People who have gone to war usually don't find the prospect romantic. Fulfilling in some way perhaps, but the glory of it all usually gets drowned in the blood of friends and enemies alike.

I've seen plenty of war movies that glamorize war, but the only ones I really find to be compelling are those that cover the whole spectrum.

something something, never changes

Kirino a shit.

Who the fuck makes these?

Wish movies would make war more beautiful or romantic. Like beautiful scenes of 109s flying over poppy fields with young women looking up and waving. Also sad but inspiring scenes are great but war movies or books are mostly just about how war is bad.

>Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees.
No, so long as you know what you're getting into and what is at stake.

There's nothing wrong with romanticism, especially in war.
It's what gets more private soldiers enlisted and what keeps them going during the darkest of times.
However, don't get so caught up in your romantic ideas that you can't effectively do your job.
Save it all for before and after the work is done.

Attached: 1224_3.jpg (1024x769, 485K)

Tell me about it, six years and I'm still fucking butthurt about that ending.

I feel like the halo franchise does a good job of making war romantic. Halo legends had some really good shorts that brought manly tears to my eyes. I love in the beginning of the movie Cortana talks about how humanity fought against each other but when the covenant come humanity unites against a common threat. For some reason that just makes a boy feel gushy.

>romanticize
Yes. Youre bordering on delusional. View it as the pile of shit that it is and you'll fare better, if you have to fight a war, than the people who came in thinking the few good aspects would be more prevalent. If you appreciate war for what it really is you won't have the crisis of being disillusioned and having to find motivation from duty, you'll be a step ahead
>sentimentalise
You shouldn't but it's understandable. War gives undeniable purpose and meaning to young men's lives and the chance to express their vigor and learn. However it doesn't mean you were the strongest because you survived. Modern war takes some of the best men to exist and discards their lives at random and often early. This is a common thought amongst combat vets. Veterans sometimes sentimentalise their war days when they feel alone, old, and/or unsure about the future because they didn't have those problems during the war.

Conflict since WWI has been a brutal, dehumanizing, and unpersonal experience. I think any attempt to make it romantic or idealized is either from someone who is either producing propaganda for one side or has no interest in understanding the conflict in any meaningful way.

Attached: magician.gif (500x376, 575K)

As long as it's a genocidal war against right wing Americans I have no problems with it.

There is much to romanticise about wiping commie scum off the face of the Earth

>cuckime

Attached: ishit.png (500x375, 299K)

>WWI
Yes. A few sources I've read state that the zeitgeist amongst the populace before ww1 was that war was a noble, adventurous, and character building pursuit. Probably had some effect on why the belligerents of that conflict were so ready to throw down.

And who would fight this war? What army? White, right wing men in the USA own more guns that the rest of the world combined. If we got the green light, we could murder every fucking jew and college professor in a month.

That pretty flower field won't survive getting war-ed on. Unless innocent things getting destroyed and tarnished is exactly your fetish there ain't much to romanticize.

low hanging fruit from the bait tree

no.

>That pretty flower field won't survive getting war-ed on.

You'd be surprised.

Attached: drug-war-poppy-field.jpg (3000x1947, 872K)

Faggot got baited

those are some pretty flowers. i like marigolds and peonies myself

Based fellow halo legends lover
If Im ever feeling down I watch the initial cortana scene
... Gonna go do that now

Lushsux

since real war is apparently a 50/50 mix of brutality and boredom we get to have science fiction and ayy lmao slaughterfests with heroes to cheer us up

youtube.com/watch?v=O1CQ7Vwz8Eo

daily reminder that 60s-70s scifi is the best core material to enjoy the HFY

Attached: Stargate-Window-Of-Opportunity.jpg (610x343, 30K)

No. I suspect it’s human nature. War is an ugly business, albeit a necessary one. Romanticizing war is an effort to put the best face on something that’s fundamentally horrible. Sentimentalizing it is easy, because war brings loss. People get sentimental about what they no longer have. Neither emotion is wrong.

No because war is part of man and to deny it is to deny humanity. Just like love, mourning, achievement, and peace, war is part of us.

So embrace it.

Attached: ZP2iA.jpg (382x500, 30K)

@Lushsux on twitter. He does them just around the corner of me. Some of them are great.

Sorry, was a reply to

Those flowers grew because they were war'd on, that's how poppies grow and why they're associated with world wars, because they'd cover former battlefields

War is bad but guns are cool

Dubs of truth. I like the hideo kojima view of it. War is bad but soldiers should be respected and admired and guns an military tech are interesting.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place, and in the sky,
The larks, still bravely singing, fly,
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead; short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe!
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high!
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Look up the Second Battle of Ypres. A whole generation made war and died on those pretty flower fields.

You sure? It’s so subtle.

In Flanders Fields is one of my favorite poems ever, regardless of its origin, it says so much about the soldier concept by itself.

Welcome to Jow Forums

Attached: OpFcp.jpg (400x580, 54K)