/meg/ - Military Enlistment General

LIEING ABOUT MEDICAL HISTORY = GOOD
LIEING ABOUT CRIMINAL HISTORY = THEY KNOW
>Do your own research to start, then come here for clarification.
>No vague questions, like "What job is best?"

pastebin.com/0K6MFcUZ (embed)
Guides to prepare for high-speed shit. (SEAL, Ranger etc.)

Resources:
Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff.

uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

airwarriors.com/community/
>Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/prerequ/woft.shtml
US Army High school to Flight school

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
>pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga (embed)

>Should I go Navy Enlisted Nuke?
No.
i.imgur.com/FZ0Q9q4.png (embed)
tl;dr: Long hard school, to do shitty work, and the job prospects are a lie.

CG info
gocoastguard.com/family-and-friends/the-helmsman/required-knowledge

ASVAB for Dummys
mega.nz/#!XuhSWQgb!ycwEyBz1J-DZx_GOsAxmSQCduAImNuzTRswqfRb-x-w

READ THIS BEFORE ASKING CLEARANCE QUESTIONS
opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF86.pdf

Attached: 1481752501137.jpg (640x480, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

armytimes.com/news/your-army/2016/04/18/be-an-army-ranger-now-long-list-of-job-opportunities/
scoobysworkshop.com/get-boot-camp-ready/
specialforcesrecruiter.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/SELECTED_EBOOK.pdf
reddit.com/r/nationalguard/comments/4uoilz/army_national_guard_faq_please_read_before_posting/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The Army will never get fast jets, will they?

Fuck mayne I don't want to be an air fag.

Can I lie about military history when applying for the police?

>Interviewer: “So tell me about your military history.”

>You: “The Spanish Armada was not defeated in 1588.”

What's the average ship time for 18x these days? Few months?

>tfw I cant get a solid answer about military life from anyone
>not Jow Forums, not the recruiters, not my father or cousins who have served
>so many choices, so many things can go wrong
>feel so conflicted about everything
>want to just go for something, but im scared ill fuck up and then be stuck and after all this time ill hate it

anyone else know this feel? Also, anyone else constantly fighting with everyone in their family about wanting to serve? I cant even bring it u[ with having all members in my house dog pile on me and tell me its a bad idea. I just want somebody to talk to and Jow Forums is un-ironically it

forgot my pic so you guys know how stressed I am

Attached: 1505177591768.jpg (236x253, 11K)

Get off the internet and make your own decision. Those of us in our mid 30s now didn't have this faggy paralysis issue back in the day because shit like Jow Forums and reddit didn't exist, we made up our minds and then did it, we didn't mindfuck ourselves by reading the opinions of thousands of shitlords.

If this is your issue then imo you shouldn't join, you're exactly the person who shouldn't be a military member.

Got accepted into the Marines boiis there was some doubt due to my misdemeanors and some medical issues I was worried might come to light but I'm officially in. Ship off in April

Marine here, what do you want to know?

just dont join the navy. im 4 years in and the only thing i dont regret is my 9/11 gi bill i have yet to use.

So are you like a real Marine, or one of the ones who joined like three years ago and has never been anywhere or done anything?

Some dudes don’t get that opportunity. There is plenty of work that can be done stateside.

I’m not one of those guys. What do you want to know?

ask me about ranger stuff and I'll answer.

Getting option 40 with a deferred felony that was expunged?

If you can get a secret clearance you can get Option 40, and I don't think expunged felonies are a problem as long as you tell your recruiter. I would recommend you talk to an actual recruiter about it over the phone. Remember, you can always walk away and go to a new one if you're worried about it.

how many MOS's are allowed an option 40 in their contract? Are certain jobs barred from having one?
What is the process of getting an option 40, ive taken a few practice asvabs and struggle with math but am fine with everything else
do you get many job prospects outside of the army, or do they look at you the same as any army grunt that can shoot a rifle and thats it

Im interested in a federal LEO job after I get out, I might have a chance at CID but im only going to get one chance in my life to be a ranger or SF and frankly I want to be a soldier before I have to be a cop for the rest of my career. Are there any CID or MP units within the rangers or are those two different fields? Im also looking at National Guard SF units but i dont even know how they work

genuine question, why the marines over any other branch?

im a 5'10 manlet, will they let me join even if im fit?

Do you want to be a marine and that's all you care about? Then join the marines.

Otherwise, any job in the marine corps, you can do the same in any other branch without as much Kool aid

The culture. I’ve worked with all branches and can say that the culture in the Marines is the biggest draw. Within the Army, there are different branches, divisions, and units therein; all having different cultures and traditions. This becomes readily apparent when visiting different bases for training or conferences.

While the Marine Corps also has different behaviors and traditions amongst the units and coasts, the culture is far more uniform in nature. A Marine base is a Marine base.

When you attend joint courses or work with other branches, you’ll see the Marine tend to gel faster whereas the Soldiers and Airmen will take longer to figure out who’s who. It may sound corny, but I’ve never had to worry about the Marines in that scenario because I knew we shared the same basic values and culture.

Attached: D2B2FD1E-D80F-40A6-9BC4-BB8BEE97B538.jpg (520x528, 78K)

Here's a list of them: armytimes.com/news/your-army/2016/04/18/be-an-army-ranger-now-long-list-of-job-opportunities/

You ask your recruiter to see if any contracts coming up have one, if there are any you can reserve it. You need a 110 GT score at least, but that's pretty easy if you're not rarded. Study some and it's even easier.

It depends on the job. If you wanna do PMC stuff they like to hire Rangers, as do a lot of government agencies like the FBI.
Rangers don't have CID or MPs. I would do something you enjoy in the regiment like infantry or fire support then focus on cop shit later. No law enforcement agency likes to hire MPs anyway, as they get taught a whole different system of law.
yes, 80% of all Rangers are your height or shorter. Battle gnomes are everywhere.

>obsessed with being in the military since the age of twelve
>never grew out of it
>watched band of brothers, saving private ryan, every tv show on the history channel from mail call to ww2 docs
>seen every "inside the training" of every combat unit from special forces to lightinfantry units
>parents disprove and instill it in my head that I need to get a proper life direction and anything else will leave me homeless
>go to college and havent been more miserable and broke in my life
>graduating in another year
>familiar itch of wanting to join is coming back

how stupid would it be to say fuck and sign up just to be a soldier, say 82nd airborne, ranger, or a marine with no ambition to countinue my education or learn a trade in the military? I feel like the one thing on earth I was born to do was to be in the service, even the whole washing rocks thing doesnt bother me. What bothers me is getting a shitty office job like my dad and have it suck the soul of of me while I become a boomer

Attached: 1450566800514.jpg (567x561, 65K)

is there any schooling I could do while in the rangers so that, after 4 years, I would stand an even better chance at the FBI or other Fed job? I do have a BA right now so technically im base line eligible but I know it can be competitive. The recruiter I recently spoke to said CID is a step away from FBI, as they work with them often, and i would basically just transfer in. was he bullshitting me?

Start talking to officer recruters

Pretty fucking stupid. Nobody gets to play soldier or Marine forever; rock painting salleries aren’t comfortable to live on.

Get your fucking degree, even if you want to be a grunt for 20+ years. You’ll need it for promotions and it will give you the chance to make more money to retire on when you’re out.

nah, Ive known guys that genuinely loved be in the infantry and did it for 20+ years. Some people just get the lifestyle
>tfw I left after 8 years becuase my family told me to quit playing army man and help them with lame family shit
>think about leaving every day and at least going national guard for my state

Any Jow Forumsizens here?
I'm a burly lad 195lbs 6ft, easily hit 1/2/3/4 (my numbers are above that).
My cardio is okay, abs are terrible.
To condition (I ship out in march), should I just keep lifting + add lots of running and ab routine while cutting?

I'm doing the NG equivalent and I'm going to MEPS Jan 7, and my recruiter said March ship date is very very realistic.

What branch?

Also, up your body weight and cardio. Focus on pull-ups, pushups, abs, and running.

Army National Guard going for REP63, aka 18X for NG.

this is my standard workout:

A:
3x5 BP
3x5 OHP
3xSuperset:
30 face pulls
10 lateral dumbell raise
10 tricep extension
10 dumbell curl
push up to failure
B:
3x5 SQ
3x5 DL

ABABxxx

Should I start running every morning, add chin ups, and ab emphasis?

I want to try and mitigate strength loss, but I looked at Scooby's routine and his bootcamp ready program:
scoobysworkshop.com/get-boot-camp-ready/
is pure calisthenics.
Thoughts?

If you’re already 1 pl8 2 pl8 red pl8 blue pl8 just stop lifting altogether and focus on running and bodyweight exercises. If you can max your push-ups (or pull-upside you went Marines) on your PT test that’s going to go a long way towards making life easier for yourself in boot camp and afterwards.

If you’re only a year out from your degree, just nut up and finish it, You have plenty of time to enlist afterwards, or go officer if that appeals to you.

So basically you're telling me -> if my goal is to excel in bootcamp, ignore gains for these preceeding months, and just focus on calisthenics?

I have found good success with SL plus body weight.

I alternate between AxBxAxCx/BxAxBxCx

X is body weight for volume and minimum 30 min steady state cardio.
C is a long distance cardio event, typically rucking or 10km run.

Body weight is going to be much more important for your 18x Route.

now that we are pulling out of syria and afganistan is there really no point in enlisting? would i be doomed to sweep no matter my MOS?

join the coast guard

ill have a college degree, considering OCS but also want to be a ranger. Is there a way to do that, where I can join as an officer and later go in as a ranger, because I know I cant pick an MOS as an officer but would really like to see some action and be a solider rather then a pog and get stuck in maintenance, logtistics or whatever

Cool cool.

I'm joining special forces because no matter what, there's always going to be a somewhat interesting mission for them.

You never know what the future will hold, we could enter a war any second, and we still have bases world wide.

Us pulling out of syria and afganistan, is basically what Obama did in 2010, and that made ISIS.
This poor decision to pull out will reverb and cause problems for us down the road most likely.

That’s exactly what I’m saying.

I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you’re not functionally retarded, but if you seriously think “gains” will be more useful to you in the SF pipeline than training in the events that you’re actually graded on, you probably shouldn’t be in SF.

>stay in and they hate us
>leave they hate us

related: ranger ‘easiest’ spec force to do? is there a /meg/ certified training method to prepare for it? i do strong lifts and only figure to add pull ups, push ups, crunches and running to be pretty complete

what about lying about past employment do they ask about that
/meg/ my brother enlisted in the Marines a few years back I wanted to follow suit because I'm 22, useless, and retarded. I can and am willing to change though. No criminal history.

so I found out the national guard has a special forces unit. How does that even work?
>you get to operate
>once a month for 48 hours

Attached: 1494780888308.jpg (593x462, 64K)

If you perform well in OCS, you are almost garuanteed the chance to become an infantry officer. As an 11A, it’s a given that you’ll go to Airborne and Ranger School. Get tabbed and excel as a platoon leader, and you’ll be given your shot at joining the 75th.

Being in the armed forces in [current year] is so pozzed

isnt only the top 5-10 of your class get to pick your MOS. I dont want to gt stuck as an officer in charge of a motor pool

Clarification never hurts.
specialforcesrecruiter.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/SELECTED_EBOOK.pdf
Book written by special forces for conditioning.
I found out via and have done extensive since I found out.

You in reality will likely have 4day weekends of drill or longer, maybe twice a month instead of once. 2 weeks in the summer will likely be longer, 3-4 weeks.

You do get to operate, shadowspear and other military forums have said the missions are the same as AD SF, but AD understandably have first pick of missions.

You deploy more often than standard NG, instead of every 2-3 years for 6-9 months, you deploy every 1-2 years at a time for 2-4 months on average, possibly longer.

Contact your special forces recruiter for NG to find out more, I basically did all this shit for the past two months, and after tying loose ends, I'm getting ready to go.

reddit.com/r/nationalguard/comments/4uoilz/army_national_guard_faq_please_read_before_posting/

>reddit
but good thread.

It's gonna take around 2-2.5 years to finish everything all the way through

do must inly do four years? what’s the leaving process and the months leading up to it like

so, do you train constantly for the 2 years or are there breaks in between?

should I join if Im a fat NEET with no prospects and I need a stable career?
what mos

They’re not like regular guard units. As an enlisted man you’ll basically be doing the job full time for months on end like an active SF guy. The training is constant and the deployments are plentiful.

The only guys who really do it “part time” are the officers, and most of them are 3 letter agency employees or work in DoD contracting for their day job.

Guard SF is more of a way to retain and augment the active force with skilled personnel than a weekend warrior gig. They even have component called SOT-X that supports JSOC with training and administration. Your average NG SF SNCO or field grade officer has worked a desk job outside the military and brings experience that helps with the mission in a support role that no guy who has been in the military since 18-22 really has.

its pretty much consistent one after another. If holidays fall inbetween you might get a 4 day weekend, and on graduation your family sees you.

The first 4 months is bootcamp where you get hazed. After that is air school, don't know what it's called. After that you start to train for your MOS where it's pretty much like college that you're forced to stay on campus save some weekends.

To clarify: “deployments” include partner force training missions to NATO countries or wannabes and all sorts of non-combat shit you wouldn’t think of as a deployment.

Yvan eht nioj

Yes.

Army aviation (any 15-Series)

Learn good job skills and grind out your 4 years.

I say Army because Marines deal with the usual Marine Corps BS, even in the Wing. Almost all Navy aviation rates are eligible to be sent out on a ship, and that sucks if you’re not all about being on boats 6+ months at a time. Air Force has the widest range of stuff to work on. but a lot of their aircraft are constantly in the air and insanely complex (plus some are ancient) causing the ground crews to average 70 hour work weeks. 99% of Army maintainers work on 1 of 3 airframes that have been around forever in our variant or another, and are comparatively easier to fix as a result.

27/M

Had a few dead end jobs, a useless AA degree and looking for a change in life since I'm not going anywhere. I've come up with 3 viable options and I have given myself until mid January to figure out which one to go for.

>Go back to College and get an IT job
>Go back to College for BA and enlist as an officer
>Enlist asap in Army or AF

Thought/Advice?

Attached: 1538376676401.jpg (1024x788, 98K)

And, to add, the airframes that the Army has are usually used by federal agencies as well. All those guys working on V-22s and MH-53s are going to have to learn a lot of new shit whereas the dude working on UH-60s is good as soon as he gets PCSed to Fort Leavenworth

My son I have the solution

>go to college, get a degree in something useful (possibly IT), get your officer package started in your senior year, enjoy life as officer

Alternatively, if things aren't looking good and you want a quicker way out, then enlisting is fine, or you should check out becoming a warrant officer. In the Army, you can go as a warrant and become a pilot if you get through WOFT. 6 year commitment, loads of time in the air, never a dull day, and when you get out you've got a variety of jobs you can be first in line to choose.

even gayer mayne

I am the same age as you, but in slightly different circumstances

>27
>no degree, but 2 years of credit towards a BA
>have had some useful job income experience out of dumb luck

I also have a ton of medical debt that has me pulling the trigger on bankruptcy soon. If that wasn’t holding me back, I would enlist. But I now have a sweet deal that fell into my lap for a lucrative job training program with free room and board included.

Because you probably don’t have the financial hangup I have, and you probably don’t have a clear-cut plan to make it in the civilian workforce outside of a vague notion of working in IT, I think you should enlist so I can live vicariously through you. Meet me back in one of these threads in 6 months and we can swap stories.

Gotta rebut your suggestion of WOFT

If you don’t have a Bachelors or a private pilot license, your chances are slim to none.

Dont neglect grip strength and rucking. You can be a gym bro all you want but come selection if you cant carry heavy shit for long periods of time, you will fail.

If he can max the APFT and he’s already an experienced lifter, rucking will come naturally.

Time spent rucking as a civilian that could have been spent optimizing running and push-ups is wasted effort at best, and detrimental to overall fitness at worst.

My recruiter said next meeting is when we do my medical history. Is that just when you fill out the forms that say I have both my kidneys and I've never had screws in my bones? He's not actually going to ask me for official medical forms from my doctor is he?

Also I took that military cyber test thing and the TAPAS by surprise after ASVAB testing, what were those? Do those scores matter?

Why not? Same benefits, better bases and females.

Can anyone tell me what the 91F MOS is like? Currently looking into joining the army in about a year or so and looking at that MOS it seemed like one that would be interesting to try to get.

i know a guy who got nailed by the navy after lying about having seen a psych in the past. the fbi investigated him and they held him on a boat. granted this happened after he got kicked out of basic i heard. how often does this happen to people?

Would the Army or Navy be more willing to grant waivers for medical issues if I have a college degree in an applicable MOS?

So if I'm a certified paralegal, would they be more willing to look past asthma if I intended to go with as a 27D?

Attached: us-army-sergeant-john-sandler-from-the-2nd-battalion-22nd-light-infantry-brigade-d417fd.jpg (2000x3000, 1.96M)

In which branch would I meet the best people

Attached: awooga 1.png (227x227, 76K)

Grip strength is pretty tight, deadlift max is 435, not too bad.
So you WOULDN'T suggest practicing rucking?
I have a NG buddy who could help me out.

Things that never happened for 500.

its not as manly and the people ill be surrounded by will be corporate snakes

i have a computer science degree (that i hate) and am probably gonna go army or navy, Should i commission into 11A or try my luck at being a naval aviator (3.5 GPA)

one of my closest friends was contacted by the FBI though
i don't know the rest of the details but i went to a shitty hs full of shitty liars and gossipers so you're right a lot could be rumor

it's illegal to lie about your discharge for sure, idk what else would be illegal. assuming you fluffed the story that is unironically stolen valor and is illegal in this case.

how do you know it was the fbi?
cuz they investigate actual crimes, they dont do clearance stuff. they're completely detached from the dod regardless.
you're basically being a fudd right now. your brain is already mush.

Attached: 1492035550541.jpg (249x250, 7K)

How long does it take for your average fag in the army to make E5?

depends on mos but if you can't do it by 5 years you're kinda shitty or have a shit mos for promotions
though if you hop in as an e4 you've no reason not to be a sgt in a few years.

Well I just signed a 3 year, 19 week contract for 19K.
I'm thinking about definitely reupping when that's done however. I don't really think making E5 in 3 years and some change is feasible

>Don’t know any 91F personally, but knew a guy who did the same role in the Marines and as a private contractor overseas working for AECOM

iI’ll explain as best as I can using civilian world terminology:

You will work in a machine shop / garage type setting, maintaining and repairing all types of weapon systems. Because small arms are just a part of the field, the closest civilian equivalent of the job would be a millwright. You’ll inspect all manner of equipment, diagnose problems, interchange parts, and calibrate them back to functionality. This will be anything from small arms to howitzers and tank turrets, depending on the unit you’re sent to (it’s brigade level, so you can be off to light infantry, armor, Strykers, Aviation (those 30mm guns on Apaches and Blackhawk miniguns don’t fix themselves) etc)

You’ll learn to work on shit like hydraulics, transmission gears. and pressure vessels. Basically any part of a machine that moves or withstands contained explosions.

You’ll have opportunities to attend private-sector armorer courses from Colt, FN, Sig, and the sort. You’re the guy that decides if the M4 or M17 needs a new barrel or extractor, after all.

Overall: good gig to get into if funs, tools. or mechanical systems are your thing.

you're not going to be e5 in 3 years.
you have no clue if you're going to re-up but 3 years gets maxs bennies so that's a plus if you decide to hop out.
once you hit basic just focus on being a good soldier and getting your job done. it's not going to be a gaggle of fun, so don't fool yourself into thinking it should be a certain way at your first unit

I would NOT recommend rucking on your own as a ciivilian. If your NG buddy is SF, listen to his advice. If not, take what he says with a grain of salt.

>NG buddy
most of them dont know shit, you know? especially if their entire experience is being a guardsman.

Your experience as a civilian does not matter, literally at all, for consideration towards enlisting.

Just fucking lie about never having had asthma at MEPS

BRO NO DONT

IM HERE A FEW MONTHS INTO MY FIRST CONTRACT IT IS NOT WHAT YOU THINK IT WILL BE AS A TANKER

DONT MAKE MY MISTAKE GET A NON COMBAT MOS TRUST ME

Uhhh pls explain

Attached: 68E2F0397B1845F79F07457B89D40ACD.gif (480x480, 2.56M)

i relish these posts. no one heeds these words, it's amazing.

Attached: 1479001547448.png (346x193, 32K)

IIRC the Navy will now let you gaurantee Naval Aviator before you attend OCS and opt out if you don’t get it.

Talk to a Navy officer recruiter about it.

What is the absolute easiest job in the Army that doesn’t require a clearance?

I just want to mooch off the federal gov for 4 years and get that free college.

Same as this guy. I have a degree and considering OCS but I want to do Marines. Chances of 11a if I do well?
??

you're just going to get out and get some meme degree - only to complain about your lack of career prospects beyond that
so fuck off ya leech. no one wants to carry your load

42A
get the koolaid out of your ass

>LIEING ABOUT CRIMINAL HISTORY = THEY KNOW

But that guy in Jarhead mostly got away with it.

>be current boot just out of training
>currently in the guard
>starting college next fall
>plan to get a degree with my gi bill, then switch to active ao i don't have to pull a civilian job

will this work? I'd rather live on base and do my MOS job than live a civilian life at this point

>koolaid
im not even in anymore. one reason i got out was because i felt overworked meanwhile 5 bozos who got paid the same or more than i did bragged about doing fuck all. most of 'em stayed in interestingly
it's not like we're hurting on bodies so much we need lazy bodies to shit up the place more than it already is

>go guard
>go to college
>go active...enlisted?
>???
im not sure what's goin on here

Well in the Marines it’s 0301, not 11A. You should probably research more.

Honestly if you want Infantry officer there’s a good chance you’ll get it. Just make sure you’re maxing our your PT scores and otherwise aren’t a shitbag in OCS and TBS. Other than your physical and classroom performance, the only thing that can fuck you over is your peer and instructor evals. Be friendly, but at the same time be the strong, silent type. Do not be a douche or autist. Your peers and instructors will not recommend you to lead a platoon of 30-40 infantrymen if they think you’re a liability.

>42A

Thank you.

If you mean active duty officer, then sure. Don't enlist with a degree, the whole point of going to college is so you don't have to go through the suffering that is enlisted life