Carbine length chews up the gas port and breaks bolts, especially with the new high pressure stuff

Carbine length chews up the gas port and breaks bolts, especially with the new high pressure stuff
why don't they just change to middle length of even dissipator and just widen the gas port hole?
mild cycling and yet a short barrel
a win win, no?

Attached: 198bfabf7c057907411219bcdb257d9c.jpg (500x495, 22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Gas_system_length__barrel_length__and_dwell_time/118-670939/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why not just have a little valve so you can adjust how much gas gets through?

Attached: 1540140744476.jpg (671x720, 103K)

Grunts are way too dumb to be trusted with adjustable gas ports. There is a reason there are anti-tamper devices on basically ever hunk of military equipment.

The US Gov is abosutly stupid when it comes to AR barrels. Look at the failed abortion that is the Government Profile. Literally the worst AR barrel profile ever in existence. Faxon got it right with the gunner, they have 11.5in mid length gas systems and a good barrel profile.

if your grunts can't be trusted with adjustable gas ports your infantry probably sucks and only exists to die and distract the enemy long enough for more competent people to do their job.

Attached: [email protected] (1000x423, 78K)

Because with carbine length the pressure's and shit are so high that the gas port itself corrodes, letting through more gas as the round count increases

why do you niggers even use gas ports? what is this, the early 1900s?

>grug bad engineer, grug need extra system to move chunk of metal that already has force applied to it in the desired direction

Attached: roller-delayed-blowback.png (1849x1010, 59K)

>When a design is so good for rifle rounds that you need a fluted chamber to extract properly

>bolt velocities that literally stretch the receiver so much that you have to replace it
uhh no thanks senpai

brass is expendable.

Attached: 20160417_223119.jpg (2976x2976, 2.28M)

if HK used a spring ejector the brass wouldn't get mangled
the fluting doesn't actually damage the brass

So are you.

While I definitely prefer midlength for aesthetic reasons, How quickly does the gas port actually wear? If it lasts 10,000 rounds (the point where most 5.56 barrels start to show noticeable accuracy loss), then it's almost a moot point.

Overgassed at normal altitudes means perfectly gassed at high altitudes or with shit ammo. Middies 1 arent standardized with a gas port size like rifle or carbine 2 dont work at extremes.

Why don't they make more 20" barrel ARs, why does everything have to be fucking 16"

Because a 20" barrel isn't good for CQB. Clearing your home with it would be a huge PITA if you live in anything shy of a mansion.

Why would I use an AR for home defense, that's what a shotgun or PCC is for

I thought most of the damage from the G3/PTR is the lack of deflector and the brass is just slam jammed into the port with enough force to propel the fucker 100 ft into the front right?

>midlength doesn't work at extremes
I'd like to see hard data backing this up.

There are minion sized men firing real .30-06 M1s in Marawi.

There were more 20"+ rifles than pissant carbines.
Carbines are a meme

Attached: BushmasterAR152.jpg (800x600, 50K)

Kys Joe Biden

This.

Speaking of adjustable gas blocks, why has no one made one similar to the fal? Who thought using a tool to adjust gas was a good idea?

12 gauge with #1 buckshot is GOAT home defense

fal gas block a shit
10 settings? you've got to be kidding me
almost all gas blocks can be adjusted with no tools or only a cartridge

It does as a matter of fact

>There are minion sized men firing real .30-06 M1s in Marawi.

just because it is possible doesnt mean it is smart, dumbass

>Russia starts hacking off 16" barrel to whatever the fuck is the aks 74u
>btfo in afghanistan and entire union dissolves
>america says its A-ok and M4 is now standard weapon.
>Grenada was last best and won conflict

Case in point.

Is carbine length acceptable on 12 inch barrel?

Whats the point of a dissipator? Just having a rifle-length tube on a 16" barrel?

Jim Sullivan feels a tingle in his spine as he looks over his patent for a self regulating gas block

The fuck are you on about?

It's pretty much your only option.

reducing dwell time to fuck with reliability.

yeah, midlength should be used for everything but the shortest AR15's. the M4 was a mistake shoula been a middy

Who the fuck in the domestic market uses anything but a pistol for CQB

All we use rifles for is hunting, paper punching, and mid to long range "politics"

people who actually want to kill someone who could kill them back you nigger fuck

14.5 midlength is pretty fucking awesome.

Attached: WP_20180405_006[4].jpg (3072x1352, 1.55M)

>Because a 20" barrel isn't good for CQB
There's something I don't get; why is a 20" rifle no good for CQB, but most shotguns I see issued to police and military, like the Remington 870, Mossberg 500, and Benelli M4, have 18.5" barrels. Would those be used for breaching and CQB, or just breaching, and if they are just used for breaching couldn't they use a shorter barrel? Is the 1.5" difference really noticeable?

Oh shut the fuck up, I didn't say jack about gun control, only that I personally don't need an AR for home defense

The Ithaca M37 Police models use 13" barrels. 18" just happens to be the cutoff for SBS's so most manufacturers will primarily make lengths of that or longer, even though you get really diminishing returns past 18" for 12 gauge.

That makes more sense. I'm not American so I didn't realize there was a legal component to it.

The US Army already already has chosen 6.8mm projectiles for their next carbine. Five companies have been contracted to develop a new cartridge with supplied projectiles and a new carbine to go along with it. In the mean time, though, a new 5.56 carbine with a ~16" barrel and mid length gas system makes little sense, unless this would be a weapon for non-combat personnel.

Are they switching to piston or sticking with DI?

Whatever ends up better in the given rifle. It will probably not be an upscale AR. But I guarantee you that Colt will submit one and it get discarded immediately. All of the other submission with be plastic fantastic AR18s.

I agree but to less the extent. It isn't ideal, but it defenitley works. The notion some people make you /cant/ do it is not something to put your chips on. I recently built a 10in AR, but I did not feel much of a short coming putting my trust into my M16 clone.

Attached: photo_2018-12-07_19-53-31.jpg (1280x960, 138K)

>The USSR loss in Afghanistan and American victory in Grenada were due to the infantry small arms each side used in the conflict

your barrel nut is showing, lewd

The main goal I have heard was a longer sight radius. True dissipators have some reliability issues like the other user said with dwell time. Most dissipators now use a mid length low profile block with rifle length FSB to get a longer sight radius while maintaining reliability.

Attached: Spikes-GMP.jpg (956x619, 230K)

>gov profile
>bad
>dabs on you with a 40mm
Nothing personal kid.

Government profile (A2) IS bad; pencil (A1) is better and the grenade launcher fits without putting a goddamned narrow spot in you barrel.
Not that grenade launchers matter outside of take-what-you're issued military anyway.

>>dabs on you with a 40mm

kek'd irl

>Government profile (A2) IS bad; pencil (A1) is better and the grenade launcher fits without putting a goddamned narrow spot in you barrel
>pencil (A1) is better
>Government profile (A2) IS bad
>narrow spot

waht
A2 is the same thing but beefier everywhere that isn't a 40mm mount point

I mean yeah? Theres no need for an implication arrow

one of us is still used by half the world and the other is the FAL

>talking shit about the A2
Boy you fucked up even more, I was talking about the M4.

>self regulating gas block

Attached: 9C4D4B18-8972-4B70-9F29-16ED31C31458.gif (627x502, 940K)

>that pic

What is the purpose of the Dissipator barrel? Suppressors using max pressure ammo?

Attached: 1459438937140.png (671x603, 168K)

He also made a constant recoil AR-15 variant.

Rifle iron sight radius without rifle length barrel.

But the gas pressures are different.

Thus the performance problems people have been discussing.

So the only reason to get a dissapator barrel is to increase your sight radius? It has nothing to do with intentionally lowering your gas pressure?

>thinking its about pressure
>not about dwell time

Dissys work great if they are set up just right, but the need for having a rifle length iron sight and 16" barrel is long gone with the advent of free floating handguards.

nice undertale shit faggot

Gas port pressure isn't the only factor
>ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Gas_system_length__barrel_length__and_dwell_time/118-670939/

See this user

>that pic
Best girl is best.

I just save pictures of girks who look the best.

Attached: ss20150904at04.14.29.jpg (367x318, 50K)

It's called a comedy chevron, you fucking newfag

You have no idea. I'm getting Ralsei for an upcoming SBR.

Attached: WP_20170710_024[5].jpg (3072x1728, 1.54M)

>everybody saying that you won't get enough gas with dissipator
wtf? Can't you just enlarge the gasport hole? Early semi-autos functioned even with gas trap systems, a gun does not need ridiculous amounts of gas to cycle
Seems like the perfect gas system to me, dwell time of a rifle and with sufficient gas for operation if properly sized.

Attached: 1525653507608.png (500x500, 321K)

worst gote
worst human

>A2 is the same thing but beefier everywhere that isn't a 40mm mount point

Are you sure about that

Attached: LDn4k0d.jpg (800x366, 22K)

>Worst gote
Objectively false, but as of the advent of Ralsei the edgegote may arguably be second best.
>worst human
Absolutely but I loves me some interspecies lewd so I'll take what I can get.

Attached: WP_20170622_002[2].jpg (1984x807, 705K)

I heard it was because muh reens had a rquirement for their bayonets

+1 faxon gunner
>t. noshill

>point of dissy
Nostalgia

What you've identified is a lack of critical thinking in people who parrot lines like "you can't clear a building with a 20" LMAO idiot!"

Despite police and militaries having done it successfully for decades

> dwell time of a rifle
it clearly doesn't have dwell time of a rifle because dwell time is determined by the distance from the gas port to the muzzle, which is short on a dissy

>Despite police and militaries having done it successfully for decades
this is like saying just because people wore steel helmets for decades we should keep wearing them now.

On this note, does anyone make a true dissipator barrel that isn’t a Heavy profile? Del Ton is the only true dissy I’ve found but it’s hbar. I like Windham barrels, but their dissipator has a fucking Carbine length gas system.

I want to build an A1 dissipator, so I’d like it to retain the lightweight of an original A1. Only reason I’m not going full 20” is because I already have a 20” A2 build.

Not at all the same. Where something like an M4 really does shine over M16 is in rapid deployment from a vehicle to clear a building. But once the gun is up and you're in the building, not a big difference.

most of the units using 18.5" shotguns barely use the shotguns operationally because they are so awkward. The SOF issued breaching 870 is usually configured with the 10" barrel and pistol grip.

Attached: ljll32edv2d01.jpg (4848x3095, 1.75M)

just saying that "_____ worked back in my day" is not evidence that it was a good idea

I know you're memeing but the AKS-74u was only issued to vehicle crews and paratroopers.

The whole reason they were so prized by the Muj is because having one meant you had successfully shot down a Soviet attack helicopter.

Try something:
Stand up against a wall with a 20" barrel rifle in a firing position, mark where the barrel ends
Now do this with an 18.5" shotgun
Now do this with a handgun in modern isoceles

i've heard this line of reasoning before but it still doesn't make that much sense to me. i can more easily depress the muzzle of the handgun or pull it closer to my chest in a high ready position to make myself smaller. The rifle or shotgun are still more awkward to maneuver in tight spaces like narrow doorways and are more likely to get hung up trying to go through a window, for example.

>Despite police and militaries having done it successfully for decades
People cleared rooms with 5 foot long bolt-actions for a century. As someone with ARs with barrel lengths ranging from 11.5 to 20, let me tell you that room-clearing with a 20 sucks dick compared to smaller lengths. You're also discounting the reason for shotguns typically being as long as they are, and the shorter variants, outlined in .

Doing it successfully is not the same as doing it optimally you obtuse twit.Try to say that CQB with an M16A4 is just as fine as with a Mk.18 without sounding like a complete mouthbreather

>but most shotguns I see issued to police and military, like the Remington 870, Mossberg 500, and Benelli M4, have 18.5" barrels
But they really don't anymore, more typically now you'll see them with significantly shorter barrels and with only pistol grips precisely because those long versions you mentioned were so clunky to deal with indoors

Attached: eb9b0dfb77b00d145bb76b49c114ca2d.jpg (765x551, 92K)

a1's barrel whip like crazy and are disgustingly inaccurate, hence the switch.

Ain't dwell time the time between firing and extraction?
y'know like the time the cartrdige dwells in the chamber before being kicked out?

The fuck barrel is this?

at least in context of AR15s usually people use dwell time in reference to the amount of time that gas pressure is being applied to the BCG.

Made me smile

Attached: BA8F42E8-5E7B-40E4-B234-CAF86ACAF155.jpg (1920x1080, 120K)

Pistol grip only? I dont be live that for a fucking second.

>gun that is used exclusively for fucking up doors
>not getting rid of a stock
Shotguns for the military are now a door breaching device and that's it. Since you're pretty much only using it for that, there's absolutely no reason to keep anything but the bare essentials for that job.

Then you must not be paying very much attention. Military uses PGO shotguns all the time, mostly because the only thing they're doing with them is breaching and then switching to their carbine, a much more effective tool for the job.

Attached: 10867054_10150468349264950_1167929234_n.jpg (720x636, 115K)

SOCOM barrel.

>Immediately swap to carbine
Okay now that makes more sense, but less sense. Why not just have one guy main a shotty. They are perfectly effective for CQB if the targets are not armored, and in that case super short ARs arent great either.

>They are perfectly effective for CQB if the targets are not armored
So are ARs, in a superior fashion.
>and in that case super short ARs arent great either.
Better than a shotgun.

If your metric of "perfectly effective" is capable of killing a man, sure they're fine. But try to provide suppressing fire with one, you'll discover the problem.