I am curious about gun design

I am curious about gun design.

I'd like to know how exactly the AK can function if it isn't milled preciously?

Attached: 1gQbUiF.gif (480x287, 694K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/aAI6YYJ1sko?t=5m50s
youtube.com/watch?v=pq1TXEE_QK4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>I'd like to know how exactly the AK can function if it isn't milled preciously?
I assume you mean precisely and it can't. The idea that AKs can work when built out of spec is a meme.

Stamped preciously instead.

Attached: akslowmo.gif (475x208, 1.64M)

What you're talking about is tolerances.

Machining is a precise process, but the more precision you require, the more expensive it gets.

The AK pattern is designed in such a way that there are few parts that need to be perfect. Note that I say perfect, because an AK that isn't built carefully will not function. It simply doesn't need to fit together as closely as more finely machined designs.

Some dimensions remain 100% critical however: Your barrel needs to be the right size for a bullet to pass down it engaged with the rifling. Your chamber has to be be the proper size to support the casing during combustion, your firing pin needs to reach out and strike the primer.

The AK isn't the best example however: The best examples are garage guns. These plans still have to be carefully made, but they do not need highly accurate or precise tools to function, because they are designed in such a way that they can ignore the deviations from such structures. Again however, there remains a required level of precision, which is why most of the designs rely on commercial materials that have these dimensions from the factory: You certainly don't have the tools to make an effective barrel, but that doesn't matter when a 12 gauge shell is 3/4's of an inch wide, and steel pipe can withstand SAAMI pressure once.

Look up the new Century VSKA rifle for your answers.

AK will work when built out of spec, but it will not work for long.
AR wont work at all, or will work once, if built out of spec

If you want a case study on bad AK-family rifles, look at the INSAS.

Attached: INSAS Poop.jpg (800x600, 221K)

Stop. Stop this, that is so painfully wrong. Guns DO NOT work when built broken. They just don't. The AK has a bit more leeway, we are talking .0001% of variance, with regards to precision machining. There are major companies in the US, with major manufacturing operations, that could not produce AKs to spec to save their lives. AKs not built on tooling produced exclusively for Communist Bloc state militaries are complete garbage. All AKs produced by Communist Bloc countries are built on machines that are essentially directly from the same Kalashnikov concern in the USSR in the 50s.

>Note that I say perfect, because an AK that isn't built carefully will not function.
So much this. Idiots keep saying you can build an AK in your back yard when it took the Soviet Union seven years to perfect the stamping process.

How do Filipinos in a shack in the jungle manage to build 1911's entirely from scratch with hand files? High powered rifles have these parts which have to be perfect like you mention but surely the barrel and even the frame of a self loading semi automatic pistol have to be perfect also?
youtu.be/aAI6YYJ1sko?t=5m50s

Ak's built by US companies dont work because they use very poorly cast materials and bad assembly processes.

youtube.com/watch?v=pq1TXEE_QK4

>"using templates and extremely specific measurements-"
You answered your own question.

>but they do not need highly accurate or precise tools to function, because they are designed in such a way that they can ignore the deviations from such structures. Again however, there remains a required level of precision, which is why most of the designs rely on commercial materials that have these dimensions from the factory: You certainly don't have the tools to make an effective barrel, but that doesn't matter when a 12 gauge shell is 3/4's of an inch wide, and steel pipe can withstand SAAMI pressure once.
>The AK has a bit more leeway, we are talking .0001% of variance, with regards to precision machining.
Those files look blunted from constant use, you made it sound like you could only make an working AK using factory tooling, those templates are useless to .0001% of variance of precision machining unless they had digital calipers or used a CNC equipped mill
>You certainly don't have the tools to make an effective barrel
Blunted hand files and rusty metal hand saws seem to do just fine

I'm not sure who you think I am in relation to this thread and conversation but what was my first post.
>Blunted hand files and rusty metal hand saws seem to do just fine
>when making a barrel
You're being extremely dense and obviously have no idea whats even required in producing a rifled reamed and properly crown barrel let alone the chamber and throat.
Yes; people who have been making guns by hand for generations are pretty okay at it.
No; it's not the same as manufacturing from the ground up.
It'd definitely going to be easier to make a pipe shotgun than figuring out which gauge metal to make the ak receiver out of so that it has the proper amount of flex to function properly past even a minimal few hundred rounds.

Can it be done? Yes. People build them in a few places across the world spending weeks of constant work after a lifetime of experience; so it is possible.

>literal poo everywhere

US made AK's work, but will only work for a fraction of the time a properly made AK will. Don't be retarded
Even an IO will work for a few rounds before something malfunctions, breaks, or it blows up.

a 4 man team works 12 hours a day every day and produces 5 handguns a month. pretty sure they're getting them done right lmao... did u even watch their process in the video you posted? no u didnt even watch your own video at all.... smhd

this. I think it's hilarious when they give examples like the dude who built an AK by hammering a shovel into a receiver, and then built it up with a Romanian kit and a barrel.

I mean, it's still cool, but pic very much related.

fug

Attached: DodWFQ9mQkVyWoKFa0ZIu12PYrPo3P2T0taaK-lgJCo[1].png (530x453, 123K)

No guns today require dimensions within tenths, even half tenths. Look up drawings for chamber and cartridge standards, you will see there's several thou clearance in all sorts of places. When you're talking about philipinos with files you need to remember that these guns do not have interchangeable parts, and are being made slooowly. The AK is designed to be made by the millions, which is mostly why there are no good American aks, they aren't cheap or easy to make in small quantities. Some Ivan sits at a machine finish milling cast gas blocks all day at a rate of one every few seconds. If they keep tolerances super tight he needs to take more time with each piece, more will need to be thrown out for being out of spec, and the machine itself would have been much more expensive to make and maintain. As long as a guns mechanism is designed so as to take the pressure, the firing pin hits somewhere within the primer and the barrel isn't too small for the bullet you will make a gun, but beyond that there's a tradeoff between accuracy in machining and operation and cost.

wrong my friend bought an IO(without consulting me) and never got to shoot it due to it being unable to pick up a round from any mag. its been at IO for a year already without them so much as looking at it.

This.

Most ARs that people consider premium have dimensions that are .005-.007 off of nominal dimensions. This is why I laugh at people who go on and on about money and quality. You can download the original AR-15 drawings and most premium ars have dimensions that are +/- 10 thou and 20 thou in most places. Any machinist would lol at such forgiving tolerances. Guns in general have very forgiving tolerances. Took a bunch of mics to my buddies kimber 1911 (point, blade, groove, 0-1 in) and bruh it's like I never want to hear about "Muh tight tolerances on premium products" ever again. AKs are even more hacker in this regard than anything else ( I still love em tho)

As an amateur machinist and gunsmith, I'm honestly shocked at how over-prepared for gunsmithing you are with machinist sensibilities. The best way to describe it is the example of the sebenza, sure you can machine a knife to super tight tolerances, I bet if mitutoyo made a pocket knife it would be a lot like a sebenza, but the Chinese recognize that 99% of that precision is marketing garbage and make a knockoff they can sell profitably for under 15$.

I'm not a gunsmith, I'm a CNC lathe setup guy/programmer but I do get around. Also I agree with your chinese manufacturing example and I adore mitutoyo products.

AK is also known for firing out of battery, so there's that.

Wrong

Oh no- I'm right.

Nigger I'm gonna need a source on that.

You're fucking retarded, how are and known to fire out of battery, you massive fuckup.

Because they hand fit everything. Mass production is very different.