/ktg/- Knife Thread General

-Case Christmas 2018 Edition-

Discuss knives, show collections etc

Attached: 8390D664-79CD-4F46-B7A7-8FEC6967609E.jpg (750x536, 61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

colemans.com/shop/knives/russian-navy-sailors-knife-large/
youtube.com/watch?v=KvT5-WeagJI&app=desktop&persist_app=1
browning.com/products/knives/black-label/shock-n-awe-tomahawk.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Hihi, marry christmasu!!

Attached: CA953634-0EAD-4E68-BAA2-81DAF2D03445.jpg (2048x1536, 895K)

This seems like a good place. My 11 year daughter wants a knife. Recommend me one to buy her.
>inb4 why
SHALL

L O I C E N S E
O
I
C
E
N
S
E

Hihi, Santa-chan! Maybe get her Victorinox Swiss Army knife? Good models are classic, compact and hunter (with slide lock mechanism). Or maybe get buck 112 ranger model? Or maybe get Kabar USMC short, model 1250? Many option! More detail plis?

Attached: A49E6124-0135-4312-B466-F46659964B57.jpg (3264x2448, 3.69M)

She wants something colorful.

Schrade A3. It's actually a great knife, very affordable, very comfortable, bonus a e s t h e t i c

Attached: KN62Z6_20150705_120738_V62AU.png.jpg (600x600, 26K)

That's perfect, thanks man

Hihi Santa-chan! Victorinox have many color!! Many limited edition and bright red. Maybe also mora companion meme naifu or cold steel tuff lite?

Attached: 44780C15-1611-41E6-B003-F9E21CEC9554.jpg (3264x2448, 2.59M)

I have one they're shitty just get a Swiss army knife with a graphic on it.

My next custom

Attached: 20181221_201426.jpg (1080x1288, 223K)

The favorites of my collection

Attached: CC60876C-0D98-4CD9-BF0C-BCBFE127D883.jpg (4032x3024, 2.58M)

SATAN BEGONE

My edc, mini griptillian

Attached: 3AC90092-2926-4D06-B09B-F623564164B5.jpg (4032x3024, 3.48M)

Anyone got any info on these?
colemans.com/shop/knives/russian-navy-sailors-knife-large/

Attached: 0780.png (800x439, 654K)

My brother collects those Case knives.His collection makes me kind of want one myself.

Attached: 1509127223348.jpg (1024x1024, 236K)

One of these days I'll take a chance on one of those ruskie knives goddamnit

Can anyone recommend me knife other than a kershaw leek?
Must be:
Similar price
spring assist (prefered)
straight-ish blade like the leek
I had a friend in highschool who kept one in his car and I remember it seeming like a clean solid little knife.

Attached: leek.jpg (480x360, 18K)

Kershaw Dividend

Can you stop reposting this in every thread? Atleast take a new picture of it.

Attached: Messer.jpg (2988x5312, 1.09M)

So you saw a leek in the car of your friend and it seemed like a solid knife so you want a knife with a similar price that is also spring assisted and has a similar blade to the leek?
Why not just get a leek?

Attached: limm.png (398x527, 204K)

>That disgusting image
DELET NOW.

I probably will.

What do you think of the German Löwenmesser?

Attached: file.png (800x428, 303K)

Does anyone have an opinion on the Case Sodbuster for EDC?

UK legislation says:
>Folding blade
>Non-locking blade
>Less than 7.62cm (3 in) blade

Attached: ca65310det.jpg (800x800, 62K)

im getting a benchmade bugout for christmas

howd i do

Anybody have advice on concealable knives for self defense? I work in NJ, not sure if they have any weird knife laws?

Such utter shit taste. I guess I'll keep to the forums.

Attached: 225B747E1F315B02F013285B02EC59.jpg (640x361, 46K)

It was enough for grandpa who actually used it compared to most modern day knife users so it will be enough for you too.

Sorry Robert I hoped that you would like this website.

John

Attached: drhhz.jpg (474x353, 17K)

>NJ
Cops don't need an excuse to confiscate a folding knife that can be opened with a wrist flick here, but spring assist is okay.
Spear point knives with both sides sharpened like the HRT in are considered "daggers" and therefore illegal, but the false edged version is fine.
Not sure on length restrictions.
And as always, if a cop asks why you carry a knife, you need it for work.

Another question to anglos. Would police consider picrelated a knife? Or just a huge chisel?

Attached: russkie_boevye_nozhi_3.jpg (800x600, 147K)

Thoughts on my new Mini Trapper?

Attached: 20181222_163138.jpg (4032x3024, 3.86M)

That looks great, user.

When I was really big into blades, I liked things like benchmades, zt's, spydercos, striders, emersons, and the like, but today, I would rather have something like this in my pocket, my manix 2 xl gets absolutely no use.

Bought myself a cheap, three bladed elk ridge, looks pretty damn good, next will probably be a case.

Small fixed blade like guardian 3 is infinitely better yhan a folder.

Ah yes, the single edged chisel. What a classic

Can somebody id this tomahawk?

Attached: C328A6289D8F4AEE924D734B9FFC738C.jpg (3024x3024, 1.64M)

s a c a t r i p e

Those are soviet bilhook knives (or Michurin knives, called so after soviet biologist and selectionist), produced in three sizes. Some of them were included in the military medic bag, some of them were sold for agricultural workers.

Billhook shape is pretty universal all over the world, starting from roman falx vinitoria

>knife or chisel?
It's semantic at this point.

Attached: potato.png (999x846, 689K)

Brits are at the paranoia's poison door,aren't they?

Attached: 1_MwLDFzk39O9dz8LO6grRzQ.jpg (1821x911, 360K)

We're not an optimistic country anymore, lad.
I daren't say more than that.

Recommend me an EDC for under 50
Currently thinking about getting a RAT 2 by Ontario

I'm getting this for christmas, what should i expect?

Attached: 41b0HdnPAaL._AC_SY400_.jpg (456x374, 18K)

But are you familiar with T h e M e x i c a n S a c a t r i p e ?

tfw you have a large knife collection but only 3 case knives.

3rd case knife not in picture. It's a vintage one with a brass/wood handle that can have a bowie blade or hatchet put on it. I think it is from the mid 30's, apparently it belonged to my great grandfather.

Yeah get her a Swiss Army knife or Opinel. It's just a good place to start

Damn, Tyrone makes some fancy shit

>Rockstead makes my soul cry

Sounds like you should get a Leek... Also the Dividend works

They are good knives. Although if you really want something heirloom quality consider looking into getting a GEC Sodbuster. And for pure functionality, Spyderco makes a few UK compliant knives.

Did you suck Santa's dick user?

I live in Nj... Some of the worst knife laws in the country, but not supper intrusive In my experience. As long as it does not look supper tacticool, and you don't put it in peoples faces in public, and don't act like a hoodlum, you should be fine. But to be safe, go with a manual, no spring assist (although legal), and keep to sub 4" blades.

Don't carry a knife for self defense. Carry a folding knife for utility that is legal. And if you for some reason use it for self defense as a last case choice, you have that option. Consider Peperspray first, secondly I'm pretty sure tasers were made legal a while ago in Nj.

What ever they consider it, it's stupid.

More illegal as well in Nj. Folders are not that uncommon, fixed blades are. Also they carry know significant advantage over a similarly sized folder (of good quality), in fact I would say have a major disadvantage in a normal urban setting for ease of concealment and ease of access.

Attached: My Case knives as of 2018.jpg (4032x3024, 1.24M)

I need a wood chopping axe, is there one that Jow Forums recommends?

Ask

>apendix carry
>wear hoodie
Wa la

Just specifically for chopping wood? Not for any thing else? Or a normal ax that can be used for splitting but also cross cutting?

For just Splitting you are looking for a splitting maul. For more casual use, 4-6lb heads are fine, for more heavy use (larger logs) some wedges an a 6-7lb head. IMO a 8lb head is too much unless you are a larger dude and use it often.

I think your best bet for under $100 is the Husqvarna 30" Splinting Ax, or the 32" maul if you have larger rounds. The Swedish options like the Gransfors Bruk are great, but often around $200.

For a budget option, maybe see if you can find a maul from Council Tools or even Snow &Neally for under $60. Or chances are you can find a decent one that just needs some sharpening at an Antique store or thrift market for less than $30... In my opinion the Gerber, Fiskars, other composite memes are pretty shit, unless you get one for really cheap and just for rare use.

The one in pic related is a really old head, at lest 110 years old , made in Italy, no maker marks I remember... Fiber glass handle because cousins kept over striking and breaking it, we have a twin one with a hickory handle I prefer to use. The Ax is a Hults Bruk Kalix.

I'm not saying it's not easy to conceal a small fixed blade... But why bother?

If it is any what concealed, a Wave folder IS faster to get open in hand. In fact it's faster than most normal fixed blades in a normal belt sheath.

A folder is more legal in Nj to carry around in public. It's less suspicious if it actually gets used as a weapon, more people friendly when it's used for utility which is 99.999% of it's actual use, takes less time to grab in the morning, and is just as capable in just about every task besides needing cleaning from time to time and not lasting more than a couple decades (depending on the knife).

I just don't get the
>hurr durr all folders are shit
>you need a fixed blade can do normal EDC shit
meme

Attached: Woodshed (3).jpg (3931x2080, 3.43M)

this. don't carry a fixed blade on your person. Keep it in a bag or in a car.

Howdy /ktg/, 19 yo texasfag here
>be me
>edc benchmade assisted open, kind of small so I can hide it easily
I've never had to use it and beyond a bull rush I have no idea how to use a knife effectively to defend myself from tyrone and his dindu gang. What should I do?

Attached: Dorktown.png (1902x1424, 1.43M)

it's sweet like Swiss chocolate

>Or a normal ax that can be used for splitting but also cross cutting?
whats the difference?

>defending urself
>in texas
get a gun instead tbdesu

one is for splitting wood, one is for cutting down trees.

tl;dr: What do you plan on using it for and how much can you realistically spend?

---------------------------------------------------------

A splitting maul is specifically designed for splitting wood and driving in metal wedges (like a sledge hammer with a sharp side). It can not effectively be used for cutting off branches or downing trees. It's the kind of tool you keep in your shed.

There are splitting axes that are still okay at splitting wood and can be used to drive metal wedges, but can be used for cross cutting, but not that well.

When I say "ax" most people think about a general use axe. It's like a multi tool. It can be used to cut down trees or cut up branches, and can split wood. This is the kind of ax you would bring camping with you, or a smaller one hiking. But it's not nearly as good at spitting as a maul, and should not be used to drive metal wedges. Generally the better an ax is at cutting up branches and felling trees, the worse it is at splitting wood for its weight.

There are a lot of different kinds of axes for different uses, and different styles of each... But the for our purpose; Maul vs Ax and the weight of the head. A good weight for a general purpose ax is 2 1/2 to 4lbs. A good camp ax (you would be able to carry) is 1 to 2 1/4lbs... And anything over 4 is more of a serious feeling ax, or 4-7lbs is good for a splitting maul.

this And if that is not an option, consider tasers and pepper spray... and then a cane with a metal head. Anything with range is generally better than a knife that is small enough to realistically carry in normal life. Although it's nice to have one for the utility, and as a last option if it comes up.

Attached: Axes 8-26-18.jpg (3890x2176, 3.19M)

what is the axe with the shiny head?

That's a 10ish year old Snow&Neally Hudson Bay Ax, that I sanded the head and put a Hults Bruk handle on this past summer. Only a 300 grit finish I think, maybe I'll polish it this winter.

It's a great ax, I really like the Hudson Bay style, and its a great size for a camp ax, even just small enough for a pack ax. Unfortunately Snow&Neally has really gone down hill the past 20 years, I'm pretty sure they are completely chines now. Might as well go with a cheaper brand and get the same quality, like Cold Steel those are good axes for the money.

Attached: Snow&Neally Hudson Bay and Hulks Bruk.jpg (4032x3024, 2.98M)

post your knife deals guys

I got this from SMKW for $20 + ($8 shipping). It's the original design of Chris Tanner's Jess X before Schrade cheaped out and turned it into a hollow grind. He put up a video about them and they sold out in something like 4 hours. It was probably the last run of the original design that we'll ever see. I'm so glad I got one. And for only $30, it was a steal.

Attached: Jess X.jpg (3991x2993, 2.94M)

>$28
Well if not for the $8 shipping you just may have gotten your moneys worth.

kek just fucking with you. It's an interesting design, and honestly probably not a bad design for the kind of work it's intended for... To bad no one has invented the hatchet yet though kek.

You mean current deals or ones we had before.

Currently you can get a Bradley Kimura bali for about $90 on BladeHQ. Considering they normally go for $120, and are one of the best sub $200 Balis one can get, that's a pretty good deal.

But the best deal I ever got was these two early Gavko's together for $135ish from a guy who bought them direct (custom ordered the EDC) to help with college. Now a days, and even back then, the EDC is worth over $150 and the T-rex over $200.

Attached: Gavko knives..jpg (800x600, 64K)

Are you making a best of the worst reference you amazing mother fucker?

>Spyderco Tenacious
you should be able to find it for 50
the liners in my rat 2 rust

in texas you can't carry until the age of 21, as stated i'm 19 yo fag so I have to deal with it until then

that said, is there a similarly effective but cheaper option than the taser pulse?

Pepper spray. If you miss with a taser, you're fucked.

\
>why not both desu
A taser is a great first use mid range defense

If that fails and/or depending on the situation, pepper spray is a great way to get you out of a close range situation. Pepper spray is only good if you are really close range with no wind or in your direction.

It's better to have multiple options and the situational awareness to properly deal with tat situation.

Steel Will Modus with a D2 blade.
It's a very solid knife at a very reasonable price.

Attached: 31ZJfdLeBPL._SX466_.jpg (466x466, 15K)

Pepper gel and stream variants of pepper spray work from 10-20ft even outdoors. Get both if you want, but realistically the effective range is going to limit how many non-lethals you can try before they get to you. At less than $20 a can, I don't see why you wouldn't get some pepper spray. The taser is pricey though. I'm just not sure 1 shot up to 15 feet is worth that kind of investment. Of course there are situations where having a taser would be better and a good hit with a taser will work a lot faster in most circumstances... But honestly without a gun to back any of that up, you're just going to have to take a risk these next few years either way. Guns get expensive fast, so make sure you're financially prepared to become a newgunz. A can of pepper spray isn't going to hurt your wallet. You're young, so don't know if you're trying to break the bank over a taser. Also, a taser is just going to look like a gun to anyone you're trying to use it on. Recognize the potential consequences of that when you're not actually armed.
All I'm saying is that there are pros and cons. The informed decision is the right decision.

Hihi Texas-chan! A naifu is an excellent idea desu. In a lot of situations it is more advantageous than a handgun. If you’re not an idiot and they don’t have a firearm or naifu, they’ll are your helpless plaything. People say any object with range will be better, but umbrella and cane and stick is not weighted like a club or mace. They are mild inconveniences and cannot reliably produce incapacitation or leathality. Meanwhile, a knife is extremely capable in this regard. I don’t understand where naifu bad self defense meme come from. Only two useful responses to naifu defense situation, enemy produce weapon or enemy run. If they cannot, they will be killed by naifu-man.

Here is exemplary video of sparring with training naifu. Note the parameters of the sparring: youtube.com/watch?v=KvT5-WeagJI&app=desktop&persist_app=1

Attached: CA49CF2A-89EA-4D02-A890-BADED5B28BA0.jpg (3264x2448, 2.04M)

It should be a knife, usually sharp.

browning.com/products/knives/black-label/shock-n-awe-tomahawk.html

Attached: A21B1899-B8BD-4925-8F72-28D4E98AD8CC.jpg (800x450, 119K)

Those rings seems very inconvenient

Good

Thanks for your points of view and the relevant video, until I'm old enough to become a newgunz I'll have to make do with what I can. I think what I'll do is continue to carry my knife and then add either a taser or pepper spray (or a pepper spray variant) to my edc. Many thanks Jow Forumsommandos!

This came in the mail today~
It's a nice first knife I think. Heavier than I was expecting but it's great
Screenshot because my phone is a twat with file sizes

Attached: Screenshot_20181223-235625.png (1920x1080, 2.28M)

Attached: D'Holder Knife Tiger.png (960x445, 576K)

Thats a nice Grabendolch.

looking for current deals on either pocket folder EDC or fixed blade camping style. cant buy a bali since i cant carry it here in cuckfornia

wew

Hihi, merry Christmas naifu people

I bought this knife at a second hand store. What 's a good way I can clean it and make it look good?

Attached: finnishknife.png (296x916, 550K)

Looks like an ancient Frost.

It says Erik Frost Mora Sweden, but I don't know how old it is.

Hihi mora-chan! How much did you pay?? And how much are comparable moras in your area? First file off the mushrooming off the spine, add chamfer and sand smooth if you want. Then polish the flats of the blade. Then sand, polish and oil the handle with linseed oil. Sharpen the blade and finally file the tip to pointy. Naice find!

Attached: 1FC15A4F-1C73-4390-A6EC-2BAA365A4FF0.jpg (3264x2448, 1.94M)

Thanks!
I paid 3 euros. No idea about comparable moras, it just happened to be in a second hand shop one day. Never saw any other knives when I was there.

My EDC is a Kershaw Brawler. Awesome little $40 knife

Looks pretty. Nice

im interested in the Victorinox Ranger cause i like lots of useless stuff but i feel like $50 is too much. any other Victorinox that you guys can recommend me thats cheaper? thanks

Steel brush and various grits of sandpaper if you want it to look new again, naval jelly if you want to keep it looking old.

The Fieldmaster has just about everything you'll need, the Huntsman is the same thing except with a wine opener instead of a Phillips head if you're a regular wine drinker.

Attached: 8815677964318_celum_33501_1280Wx1120H.jpg (1280x1120, 76K)

thanks, ill be buying the fieldmaster

Thinking about grabbing a mini copperlock. Anyone have any experience with it?

Attached: Screenshot_20181224-011356_Amazon Shopping.jpg (1080x2220, 699K)