I’m looking into getting a very durable .357 magnum, and am stressed trying to figure out which of these to get...

I’m looking into getting a very durable .357 magnum, and am stressed trying to figure out which of these to get. How would you rank them in durability:

>Sp101
>New Vaquero
>Gp100
>Blackhawk

Attached: 6F0E067E-A3ED-436F-983A-D738C0233CC5.jpg (600x342, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bkgrips.com/?page_id=12
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don’t expect any of these except for the Blackhawk to make it past 20,000 rounds before having to get repaired because I don’t play with .38 or +p

Vaqueros are nice in .357, new vaqueros handle well in the hand.

SP-101-Heavy as hell for what it is. Doesn't respond well to trigger work.
GP-100. Under-rated. Incredibly reliable. Trigger is almost as modifiable as an L-frame S&W.
New Vaquero. Smaller and lighter than a Super-Blackhawk sized Vaquero. The New Vaquero cylinder lines up with the loading gate- which is nice. You can easily convert it to a free-spin pawl, which makes it easier to reload under pressure. In .357 you'll never notice the strength issue compared to the SBH-sized Vaquero.
Blackhawk. The Ruger Blackhawk will likely be that last operating handgun on the planet...yeah, the chambers don't line up witht he clicks when you open the loading gate. yeah, the ejector rods are a touch fragile. yeah, the cylinder latch can sometimes have issues. Still a great gun, and a great candidate to build a custom revolver to shoot some seriously heavy reloads out of.

Attached: 02.jpg (800x600, 67K)

How would you rank them in durability with hot 357 loads

The Blackhawk is the most durable. The GP100 is the second most durable. All of them will survive thousands of .357 rounds that are loaded to correct SAAMI specifications, and you will have spent many times the value of the gun if you ever wear one of them out. You should just buy the one that matches what you want to do and has ergonomics you agree with.

SP-101. You'll quit befor it will, but it's an uncomfortable gun- the bore line is almost too low. The forcing cone is small, but you'll never wear it out.
GP-100. There's a reason ranges use them as a rental gun. You can't wear it out. Heavy enough that even the heaviest .357 ammo is comfortable.
New Vaquero. Same deal. Forcing cone is about the same size. SA grip frame transmits even less recoil to your hand. have you ever shot a Bisley grip frame? Even more comfortable, closer to a DA grip frame, lower in your hand. LIpseys makes a 357/9mm version in stainless.
Full Size Vaquero: Nuke-level .357's won't bother it, or you.

With heavy .357's the limiting factor of any gun is forcing cone erosion. If I can make a suggestion, get a Dillon square-deal reloading press, and reload something like 158 grains SWC at 1200 fps. A little less than factory level .357, but you'll still be able to shoot 100+ yards away with a flat trajectory, and kill deer easily.

My problem is that I haven’t shot many of these, and plan on owning 2 revolvers.

I shot a 686 and sp101 a year ago and know I want the sp101 (despite it being the weakest), and don’t want it to be my only .357 but I also want to hunt black bear with a pistol which I think I can only really do with a .44

How about this? Get a Smith and Wesson J-frame in .38, and then get a blackhawk in .44 mag. The j-frame is smaller and lighter than the SP-101.

I like the sp101 as a target shooter, not for carry.

I’ll probably just get a super Blackhawk in .44 and maybe shoot .38s through the sp101 sometimes

New Vaquero becuase the single action army was designed to be built like a tank. the cylinder doesn't come out unless you pull out the pin whereas a flip out revolver has more room for error

Not necessarily. The gp100 has a larger frame.

>not buying a 1911 with a replaceable barrel
>not shooting based and redpilled hard cast 45 Auto
embarrassed for you OP

At some point I’d like to get a stainless 1911, but for now I’m giving myself an allowance for two more guns through 2019 so I can afford a rebel 300.

Spring for the 500. Its totally worth it.

Goddamn noguns faggots going on about durability. I know it's because you have ZERO fucking experience but trust me when I say that unless you're a professional competition shooter with sponsored ammo you're probably not going to wear out your gun. If you do wear it out you will have gotten your money's worth.

So stop making this fucking retarded thread.

Attached: youngfags.jpg (400x284, 30K)

>a very durable .357 magnum
basically anything Ruger and you'll be fine

>durable as hell .357
Unless you plan on shooting 100,000 hot magnums through your gun, get a Smith and Wesson 686.

If you do plan to do this, get a manurhin. But considering you are only posting rugers, you probably can't afford a 2-3k revolver nor the ammo needed to wear out a revolver.

Ive worn out 3 gp100s 2 super blackhawks and 2 model 27s. Im not a sponsored shooter, but I do shoot a shitload.

And I'm sure you'd admit that: 1)you're not an average shooter 2)you got your money's worth from your guns

Get an 8 shot redhawk

Bullshit.

OP, have you considered the new Ruger Redhawk with the 8 shot cylinder in .357? It's also cut for moon clips!

Do you have proof or at least details as to whether the guns were new, and what kind/how much ammo you put through them?

The sp101 above comments are accurate. Not a bad firearm but not one to take to war. Harsh with full house loads, but otherwise good. I use mine for target and as a pack gun, no big bears around Ohio. As a 38spc survival gun it is golden. But get one of the hawks if you want to truly push 357.

I actually really like SP101s. They’re almost as durable as a GP100 and snubbies are fun.

For a very durable revolver in .357 Magnum, I will say the Ruger Blackhawk or the Ruger Redhawk, depends on if you like a cowboy gun or a more modern revolver.

They're absolute fucking tanks of guns.
Mind that the Convertible Blackhawks shouldn't be experimented too much with atomic handloads, due to their slightly tighter bores. The regular ones are fine, go nuts.
The SP101, GP100, and Vaquero are great guns but aren't built to be the complete mastodonts like the Redhawks or Blackhawks are.

Ruger Hawks like spicy meatballs, don't worry about that.

>.357 but I also want to hunt black bear with a pistol which I think I can only really do with a .44
Black bears are actually not that tough, so with a really saucy load of .357 Magnum that shouldn't be a problem. What you could do is to get yourself a .357 Magnum Redhawk, and then a Blackhawk in .44 Magnum

Attached: Blackhawk .44 Magnum.jpg (2832x2128, 1.7M)

Well apparently this guy managed to fucking kill two of them

Yeah, he's a fucking sponsored shooter who shoots an assload of ammo, he's like the one person you can expect to wear out a gun.

Absolutely.

All three gps lasted over 25k rounds, 99% of the rounds were 158 gr, slightly hot but not bad loads, the pair of super blackhawks lasted 15k (give or take 500 rounds) but 99% of them were nuclear loads. I have a SBH I use for silhouette shooting that I have 45k through and its still ticking. Both the 29s were bought used so I have no idea how many rounds went through them. I mostly shoot contenders now, but do still enjoy ripping out a revolver and outshooting ar kids.

Not sponsored, just king of the trailer park.

Only picture I have on my phone that shows a fucked up gp100. New barrel and a retiming and theyre back in action.

Attached: 20180201_013530.jpg (1080x1920, 1.02M)

Convince me why this is a bad idea, and don’t cite ergonomics cause it feels noice. I shouldn’t spend the money but man it’s tempting

Attached: 59CD53F7-4F69-4F9E-A5C0-97283FEA0F14.jpg (1200x821, 114K)

security 6s are immortal

I can't take revolvers lower in caliber than 454 seriously unless they have wood grips. Also show the side with the lock so I can make fun of you.

>black bears
There's a good article covering defensive shootings against bears, black and brown, and one of the highest kill counts was 9x19mm because of penetration.

do it my nigga

Attached: IMG_20181220_141016652.jpg (4032x3024, 587K)

what gun is that

Attached: gee.jpg (745x553, 89K)

I need glasses

Now have you ever laid your spot covered, autism addled hands on an SP101 or new vaquero?

Y'all know there is only one real answer to this question.
Although I'd go with a blackhawk for maximum durability.
The Vaquero for fun-factor
The GP100 for home defense
The SP101 for cc

Attached: maxresdefault (7).jpg (1280x720, 185K)

I had an SP101. Not fun to shoot with full house magnums. Too heavy for pocket carry. Nice piece but just didn't do it for me.

Attached: 100_2328.jpg (2048x1536, 668K)

Dude how is this possible? There have been GP100s with 250k rounds put through them before being retired (they’re commonly used as a test gun for ammo companies)

>can’t take sub-.454 caliber revolvers seriously
>3” .357 mag
?
Also you people blow the whole internal lock thing way the hell out of proportion.

>lock thing way the hell out of proportion.

You either think it's the pus-filled gaping honey hole of Hilary Clinton or you don't. I have a visceral hatred of them that you don't need to understand.

Also you don't English too well eh? I can't take less than 454 revolvers seriously if they have rubber grips on them. Spinbois need wood. I'll allow that massive rounds like 454 and up need some cushion though.

Either way you're a massive faggot.

There are quite a few different kinds of 357mag loads, some wear guns out faster than others.

I suspect those 250k gp100s were firing 38spl.

I’m still skeptical, destroying a gp100 with 25k rounds of regular .357 doesn’t sound right.

I have a pre-lock Smith and Wesson model 10 with the original wood square butt grip and frankly it’s uncomfortable to shoot. The recoil with .38 special or .38 +P is fine but it is just not ergonomic and slips around in the hand.

As for the lock it was only an issue in short-barrel higher power configurations and the reports have been few and far between for the lock malfunctioning. Now I don’t care for the lock myself but it isn’t a deal breaker in my opinion.

Attached: 5F0FF8B7-9963-48E1-8BAF-55DC62F02CE3.jpg (1024x768, 153K)

You need grip adapter.

bkgrips.com/?page_id=12

Attached: 100_2493.jpg (2048x1536, 958K)

>As for the lock it is only an issue because it should never have been there in the first place.

It's obvious you don't know the circumstances surrounding the addition of the locks. I don't hate it because of mechanical reasons. I hate it for ideological reasons and for the fact that it fucks up the looks of what are arguably the most aesthetic DA revolvers ever made.

I have a 686+ that hasn't had a problem after about 2k rounds (probably 60/40 38/357) and a car wreck bad enough to shatter the wood grip. So I guess I'd say that's a fine option unless you just cant abide the hillary hole.

The security six is a tank of a gun.
Just check it we’ll when you buy it to make sure it wasn’t abused.
They are closing in on 40 years old.

I got one from the early 80s, I think. They're really nice guns, my uncle used to carry it when he was a deputy.

Sorry I’m just looking at new guns

Thank you for not contributing to increased prices on used wheelguns

Not like he'll make a dent in those prices, a good condition Security Six can still frequently be like $299, and it'll probably stay that way for quite some time.

As pre-lock smiths get more and more retarded people are looking elsewhere for deals. Six series guns have been creeping up lately. I'm talking gunbroker pricing here. Your best bet at a real bargain will always be random shit you run across locally or maybe Armslist with someone looking for fast cash.

Though it may be more comfortable I think it detracts from the aesthetic value of the revolver.

I’m aware it was a political move with the Clintons and the addition of the lock was unnecessary and remains so, it really doesn’t bother me much.

>I think it detracts from the aesthetic value of the revolver.

You have no taste.

Attached: 7ePqlI.jpg (3872x2592, 679K)

Attached: S&W Gunfighter1.jpg (896x672, 132K)

Attached: colt detective special t.jpg (1000x669, 116K)

Absolutely nothing in a S&W is better quality than a Ruger you fucking idiot.

I have a 44 mag vaquero thats had its front sight fall off twice shooting normal 44mags. Like i said, I prefer contenders now kek.

Not sure desu. I have bad luck with guns.

I second this user. Unless you enjoy lugging around an engine block, don't get the SP101.

What an ugly gun

>Vaquero
>Front sight falls off
>Twice
How the fuck do you have a fixed, integrally machined sight fall off TWICE?

Anyway, if you want the most durable .357 possible I'd get a Freedom Arms. Ruger Redhawk second and third, 6 shot and 8 shot respectively.

You tell me.

Attached: 20160530_123513.jpg (1440x2560, 2.11M)

Improper soldering job? You shoot it fast enough to melt the solder?

Also something that has been bothering me. I seen some fudds grumbling about lil'gun. As in it massively increases barrel wear. Is this a thing?

korth combat 357

Attached: 800px-Korth_357_Magnum.jpg (800x600, 55K)

I don't feel like I do, I typically rotate between 5 or 6 revolvers on shooting trips, 1 or 2 cylinders at a time. Except my gps, I run those relatively hard. I havnt had any problems with lilgun powder.

Do you think Hodgdon's claim of 25,800 CUP is accurate? The velocity is almost as fast as h110.Yet about 14,000 CUP less. Do you ever load above the recommend gn amount? I've been doing 14 gn of h110 for a 180 gn hard cast bullet with no ill effects. Though it may be that is lead and not jacketed.

OP's guns ranked in order of durability:

1 - Blackhawk
Frame designed for 44mag, way overbuilt for 357. Most durable bar none

2 - New Vaquero
The Old Vaquero's were based on the Blackhawk frame except with fixed sites. The new Vaquero was scaled down a bit to get it closer to Colt SAA dimensions, still being single action it should offer outstanding durability.

3 - GP100, built like a tank.

4 - SP101, smaller than the GP100.

>I’m looking into getting a very durable .357 magnum

Attached: my sexual preference.jpg (3706x1782, 1.78M)

Not with lilgun, iirc I load 16.4 under a hornady 158gr slug. Im not at my bench so I cant be 100% if im loading hot I use h110.

waiter there's a hair on my manurhin

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 20K)

That looks to be just under their max. What I don't get is that my 180 gn loaded shells come out dirty. While my basically 38+p with hand cast lead load looks pretty clean. wouldn't the higher pressure seal better? They even appear to de-lead my barrel too. How is that possible?

Same powder? What bullets in each load? Same gun (im assuming)?

I’m not looking into the old model .44 (I may get a Redhawk Alaskan in .44 though)

Its a newer talo model, ive never owned a redhawk maybe someday.

14 gn's of H110 for my 180 gn hard cast loads.
6.8 gn's of HS6 for my 160 gn hand cast swc.

Maybe theres some sort of back pressure with the h110? Be glad your lead loads are clean as shit, kek.

Attached: John-Dillinger-M1911A1-Full-Auto.jpg (809x680, 50K)

Oh yeah don’t they sell bisley 44 magnum vaqueros?

John Dillinger's gun is probably the reason we have AOW as a category. Fucking bullshit.

AOW wasn't a category until 1968.

Somebody OTHER than Ruger should silver braze that front sight back in.

By the way what’s cleaning like I’m a stainless revolver?

Miles easier than blued, but you're never satisfied with how clean you can get it.