First AR Suggestions

Just picked up my kit to build my first AR, gonna pick up a lower tomorrow.
Kit: palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-m4-carbine-length-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-15-lightweight-m-lok-freedom-rifle-kit-5165450299.html

Any suggestions on what I should get for it?
Mag types, stocks, grips, hand guards, gas systems?

Attached: Palmetto1.jpg (2016x1512, 554K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M16-Government-20-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-gov-20.htm
aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-rifle-complete-lower-a2-grip-anodized
aeroprecisionusa.com/m16a4-clone-complete-lower-anodized-black
palmettostatearmory.com/psa-complete-rifle-lower-receiver-a2.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Also, general AR tips thread

I just got nearly three exact same thing yesterday, only difference being the stainless steel barrel and a slightly shorter mlok, didn't come with the bolt or charging handle so I picked those up through them too. Mine came with three mbus which I should have just left in the package. Going to throw a 2x7 leupold scope on mine and see how the accuracy is.

Sounds sweet. I kinda wish I saved up for a mid length gas system, but I can always switch that later. I still don't have any sights though. Any suggestions for some good mags to pick up?

Attached: IanForgottenTraps.jpg (1445x1610, 1.16M)

>gas system
Congrats you already have that.
>mag type
Pmag, anyone who tells you otherwise is a homosexual. Buy them from PSA when they have a sale of them bundled either with ammo or an optic. Usually it's 10 of the fuckers for free.
>grips
Just get basic magpul MOE ones. Protip: put some foam eaplugs in there. They'll come in handy sooner or later. Someone always forgets their earpro.
>handguards
You already have that, congrats. Are you really going to buy an upper and throw out half the shit you paid for? Aero Precision has some excellent, low cost high quality handguards.
>stocks
This is massively up to personal preference and the intended role of the rifle. I'm going to sound like a broken record, but again just get whatever looks cool from magpul. They're kind of the glock choice when it comes to AR accessories. Not expensive, not necessarily cheap, very reliable. It just works.

What you should be doing is getting some sights, a red dot, a new charging handle.
For sights I am again an advocate of magpul, mbus. They're cheap, they perform better than metal sights (less breaking and poi shift in military trials compared to metal sights), but they don't net you cool guy points in /arg/.

For red dots, I suggest just going vortex. They work, you can beat the fuck out of it, and if you somehow manage to break it they'll fix it. They have one of the best warranties in the business. No real need to go expensive when you're doing a PSA build.

For charging handle, BCM gunfighter is always a good choice. Radian raptor is also good. I also really like the Strike Industries charging handle.

Thanks for the advice, Ill write it all down. I'll probably pick up a charging handle tonight online or tomorrow when I get the lower.

Attached: 1544159142753.jpg (720x540, 45K)

You already have one, so I wouldn't make it a top priority. It definitely is a nice quality of life improvement though.

Also on gas systems: while longer is definitely better, don't worry too much about having carbine. I dunno if you've shot an AR before, or have done so much, but it's not like a huge difference. A DI AR is gonna be one of the softest shooting nicest guns you can have, until maybe you get down to 10.5" pistol territory and start blasting gas everywhere.

Cap the post above yours, newfag. Get the lower built, get some sights/optic, slap it together and get familiar with the weapon by firing it. Look for pmag and d&h 30 rounders in psa and stock up when they’re on sale.

AMMO. And magazines. And a sling. And get yourself a nice stiff thick scuba web belt and some kydex mag pouches. Then more ammo. Don't worry about tacticool until you've got a thousand rounds through the pipe and have taken a high speed low drag carbine class. Training will help more than anything.

I've not had the best of luck with their freedom line, but every one else who I've talk to has had great luck. Just know you're buying budget, so don't get to upset if shit doesn't work out.

Ah, I see. I haven't shot an AR yet. Only my .30-30 Marlin and side-by-side 12 gauge. And the charging handle in the kit feels flimsy but then again I dont know what a quality charging handle feels like.

Didn't even think a bout a sling, thanks. And I figured tacticool is something you build up to over time and with experience,.

yeah I thought about that before hand. Picked it up on sale for $300 a few days ago. I dont expect it to be super high quality or last forever, but I figure itll get my foot in the door. It's not my first fun so I at least know how to clean and maintain it.

I'm new to AR (and gun building). Why upgrade charging handle?

Magpul slings are good

A better way to use the charging handle is keep your right hand on fire control and use your left hand to pull it back using only one side of the handle. This is difficult to do with the stock charging handle which was designed to be used with two fingers on either side and your right hand.

Again, ammo and training is more important at this point though.

>And the charging handle in the kit feels flimsy but then again I dont know what a quality charging handle feels like.
AR charging handles do take some getting used to. My first rifle was an AK, so going from that very solid charging handle to the ARs was very, very unnatural to me. Nicer ones feel nicer but they're still very different from other guns. A lot of things about the gun are. Here's what I wish someone told me:

>read up on where and how to lube the gun. This is IMPORTANT. It makes everything feel and work better.
>when you chamber a round, there will likely be a little dent on the primer. It's normal. Just accept it.
>no, it's not broken, you can't flip the safety on if the gun isn't cocked. It's a feature not a bug.
>the wobble between upper and lower is normal. Just accept it.
This one I knew but is very important
>practice with your mags. Even pros sometimes fail to seat a mag and then look like a tard when it flops right out of the rifle when they go to fire

Sights:
Magpul BUIS
For the Best bang for the Buck...
Holosun or Primary Arms for reddots
Primary Arms or Vortex for scopes

Mags
GI, pmags, lancer...

Also bonus, when you go to a carbine class there will be a lot of guys with gucci'd out rifles and you can try different stuff out and see what works well before wasting your money on expensive bits you end up not liking. You'll probably end up with a box full of unused expensive bits anyway but at least you can get a general idea of things.

Attached: signal-2018-10-31-090658.png (696x393, 354K)

OP here, thanks for all the tips guys, I saved them in a text doc on my desk top.

Attached: pleasebepatient.png (500x983, 348K)

Im building my first AR as well. Looking to for a good upper and 20 inch barrel any suggestions?

Budget? Also, get a 16". Seriously. Get a 20" later. You're losing like 100 FPS.

Im willing to dish out some money but obviously want the best quality for the cheapest i can get it. Im going for a bit of A2 build so i need a barrel that supports a 12 inch handguard

This.

Built and sold lots of ARs. Best experience was a training class. Lots of low cost, high value products out there, as previous mentioned.

The high end/cool guy/SOCOM shit is cool, but not necessary. Sounds like you're on your way. Good luck OP, get some training. Best gun money I've ever spent.

I'd personally go with
bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M16-Government-20-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-gov-20.htm
if I were doing an a2 build. That'll come out to like $650 when you add bolt+ch, pick up a handguard cheap somewhere else.

If you want to put a lower together, get whatever is cheap. If it's in spec, it's all the same shit. If it's not, send it back.
If you want it prebuilt, I'd go Aero precision. They're good.
aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-rifle-complete-lower-a2-grip-anodized and a cheap fixed stock elsewhere on the internet
or maybe
aeroprecisionusa.com/m16a4-clone-complete-lower-anodized-black
PSA will be cheaper though, and work just fine:
palmettostatearmory.com/psa-complete-rifle-lower-receiver-a2.html

Checked

My brother told me to get an aluminum lower? Or maybe he said non-polymer

Holy trips

All of those are aluminum. He's right. Just make the fuck sure it's not polymer. All good lowers are aluminum. Hell, even most cheap lowers are aluminum. Only fucking shit lowers are polymer.

Spoken like a big gay

What really sets lowers apart from one another?

Not much, desu. If the holes are in the right place, and like the other guy said its NOT made of polymer, it's probably going to be fine. Differences include quality of finish/coating, type of aluminum, ambidextrous controls, flared mag wells, style of fencing around certain parts, tension pins for joining the upper and lower, and that kind of thing. A cheaper lower like an Anderson is going to be more or less straight milspec, which is actually fine, while a higher quality lower will generally add features.

"a lower is a lower is a lower" is a common expression you'll hear, and there is much truth to it.