I just got back from a-school and my grandpa is giving me this Mossberg 500...

I just got back from a-school and my grandpa is giving me this Mossberg 500. He says it's never been fired and has only been out of the box/assembled once when he first got it. Should I fire it?

Attached: 20181222_130043.jpg (4032x1960, 1.96M)

why not

Yes, a run of the mill mass production gun doesn't lose any value from being fired. You only stand to gain fond memories from shooting it.

It's 30+ years old and has never been fired.

>30+ years

That's a plus nowadays. Maybe not so much for Mossman though

I would. Guns are meant to be fired. If it never gets to sing the song of its people it will be sad, take it out and make loud noises asap user.

Yup. Get an 18 inch barrel for it too (about $100 new) and then you’ll have a sweet field/security combo.

No you should bury in a time capsule so future people will know how stupid you were.

30 y/o Mossberg best Mossberg. Guns don't go bad like milk or something, it's just as safe to fire as it was when it was built. Probably safer than a new Mossberg becasue they suck now.

What's your rate faggot

It's fine OP. Totally fine. Only old guns you probably shouldn't fire are from the age of holy black or have well known safety issues.

Attached: 1543260136661.jpg (1600x830, 906K)

>a school
What’s your rate?

Heres what you do op.

Do a cursory inspection of firearm for rust and function.

Wipe out any grease you see on barrel feeding chamber and run a patch or better yet a 12 guage boresnake with solvent and oil down the barrel.

Wipe any packing grease from chamber or any other place easily reachable without disassembly.

Lube the arms of the pump and the bottom of mag tube with a normal oil like HOppes or Remoil.

Wipe off exterior of gun with a lint free rag and oil just to allow the firearm to be clean and preserved for future fun.

GO FUCKING SHOOT IT.

Forgot to say check tightness of the choke with choke wrench and if loose hand tighten but not too tight.

Additionally if you are a hyper autist you can take it out and wipe out the threads then relube with a antiseize or grease.

Faggot

Tool polisher second class.

So what.

Do you want to know the value of your 30yr old mossberg? $250

>Should I fire it?
yes. lots and lots

>Only old guns you probably shouldn't fire are from the age of holy black

I shoot lots of guns over 100 years old, including percssion shotguns, muskets, vetterlis, commission rifles, sniders and so do many many many other people.

hi op you faggot. fire it with yoru grandpa. make some memories. clean it up and store it after at gramps because you wont be having access to it much as an e1-4 unless you use your meager pay to put it in a storage place. wont you be at sea most of the time?

FT

Attached: 20181222_130048.jpg (4032x1960, 2.05M)

it was never greased/lubed to begin with

Attached: 20181222_130327.jpg (4032x1960, 2.02M)

Hell yes. Go skeet shooting with grampa and create some memories, like said.

aaaaand the local faggot joins the thread.
Good thing we got pretty much everything we needed out of it.

I shooting milsurp and that shotgun with him tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

Attached: 20181222_131836.jpg (4032x1960, 2.21M)

I'm**

>Should I fire it?

Of course not. Guns should be hidden away under beds and in the back of dusty closets until you die, so your grandkids can find them and hold up liquor stores.

This. However my grandfathers mossberg has brought me more than $250 in enjoyment.

Only people attracted to old shotguns are fudds eager to abuse the hell outta them, and they're cheapskate fuckers.

Enjoy grandpappy's scattergat, OP

It's not that kind of gun where it'll command a premium worth never getting to enjoy it.

Take good care of her and it'll hardly look any different even after you've put 10,000 rounds through it.

That thing's got 100 years in it easy.

Enjoy it user.