Why don't bongs use the 120mm smoothbore like the cool kids?

Why don't bongs use the 120mm smoothbore like the cool kids?

Attached: challenger2_3_of_8.jpg (2000x1500, 457K)

Other urls found in this thread:

soapbox.manywords.press/2017/12/12/on-the-140mm-tank-gun/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

muh hesh?

hesh fetish, also being horribly behind the learning curve, like 50 years behind.

Why can't a HESH round be fired from a smoothbore?
Smoothbore proved to be able to fire all sorts of ammunitions
seriously, what is the problem here?

hesh or hep is like soft serve ice cream

They will in the foreseeable future, because like with the Big-Boy-Boxers they will choose Rheinmetall for their Challenger 2 LEP. They even got HK to fix their service rifle to the new L85A3 standard. Again. They just can't stop sucking BGB (Big German Bratwurst).

>why do shotgun slugs shoot like 8 MOA at 25 yards
Gee I dunno user.

>choose rheinmetall
little point outside of patents even america doesn't actually use their design. just make a 120mm tube and add whatever you like it will be superior to the germ*ns

are you retarded?

>the M256 isn't just a licensed carbon copy of the Rh-120
Are you huffing paint-thinner or something, champ?

Found the gunlet

8moa at 25 yards LMFAO kys faggot more like 8moa at 60 yard or so

Retarded design decision, because they want to use HESH.

hhhaha wow i hope you'r not ser ious

Attached: zXtGP14.gif (500x338, 450K)

>what is a MOA

Attached: 1456125074157.jpg (247x284, 25K)

What the fuck is a sabot you fucking dumb gunless bong nigger?

At the moment main problem is ammunition stowage, anachronism in OPs pic uses bagged WWII-era two piece ammunition. Modern ammunition is impossible to fit in the turret.

HESH works better with rifling because the spin makes the squash head expand and flatten out more on impact. I'm sure you could fire it from a smoothbore and use stabilizing fins, but it's just less efficient that way.

>HESH is a sabot

Attached: 1456122050002.jpg (400x571, 59K)

The real reason is cost. They already have big amounts of ammo and spare parts and refitting the vehicles would be a major modernization.
HESH rounds work nicely as a general purpose anti-everything round, as long as the target isn't a modern MBT, so it isn't really a priority right now.

Generally speaking, smoothbore is less efficient compare to rifled when firing HE rounds because you need to add a tail and fins to the rear of the shell. That tail and fins is just dead weight and doesn't contribute much to the blast or frag effect of the round.

Not sure tho. HESH losses effectiveness on a smoothbore due to the lack of rotation so a riffled gun will be better.
That said, for other HE rounds while the tail and fins will provide with increased weight and drag (mostly drag, I assume the weight is negligible), they will have an increased muzzle velocity that should compensate for it.

Because it's a heavy round that needs to be fired spinning at a low velocity for it to be effective.

t. seething angl*

The A3 standard wasn't a fix, it was a free floating barrel and keymod. HK did the A2, the actual fix.

You’re full of shit

>Why don't bongs use the 120mm smoothbore like the cool kids?

Because 20 years ago when the tank was introduced it was the best gun in NATO. Now that CR2 is being updated there will be a new gun/turret and they will be using an L55 smoothbore, combining this with DU means that the UK will once again have the most powerful tank gun in NATO since the americans use the shorter L44 gun and the Germans dont use DU in their L55.

Because the bongs are the "special" kids.

>different breach block
>different thermal liner
>different mrs
>mechanical stabilizer instead of hydroponic
>multiple addons that don't exist on the germ*n design like the deflector
The only thing they share at this point is barrel dimensions.

DU is inferior out of the L55. Also it's gunna cost you several tons more weight and the Chally already has an anemic engine

>DU is inferior out of the L55

Only at unrealistic point blank ranges. Once the round has time to slow down it offers more penetration at longer ranges.

>Also it's gunna cost you several tons more weight and the Chally already has an anemic engine

Not really as the whole turret would probably be replaced. the Leo turret is lighter (and also worse protected). CR2 is not underpowered, it only looks that way if you look at Horsepower which dictates road speed. It's torque you want to look at and the RPM that torque peaks at.

Not having 2 Barrels and being the superior Mammoth Tank chad

Attached: 1024x768.jpg (1024x640, 181K)

>HESH works better with rifling because the spin makes the squash head expand and flatten out more
>but it must be fired at low velocity to prevent excessive expansion of the squash head
What if the HESH was instead fired at higher velocity without spin?

Why would anglos be seething? They're not the ones who lose every world war they start.

>DU is inferior out of the L55
>Once it slow down it offers more penetration at longer ranges.
Mind explaining this? How would a APFSDS be less effective with a higher kinetic energy?

Then you would make it its effectiveness dependent on range

>What if the HESH was instead fired at higher velocity without spin?
Think of the HESH spinning as a bonus, while the HESH fired at high velocity as "Not working at all".

Jealousy and fear.
By indirectly and accidentally convincing Germany to use less warlike means to take over Europe, they've created something more powerful than them, and they are (perhaps justly) afraid of it.
They're jealous because now Germany has more of an empire than they do.
Shame that the EU is run by people who appear hell bent on making it European in name only.

Because they still think HESH is relevant. This is literally the answer. All cool kids use 125 mm smoothbore.

What about using missiles instead like Russians and Jews do?

Next Challenger 2 upgrade is supposed to go to a rifled gun, if the upgrade happens.
HESH was a factor in the past but now most of the ammo is just heading towards its expiration date and being fired off during training.

>Next Challenger 2 upgrade is supposed to go to a rifled gun
You mean smoothbore?

This isn’t the 70s dude

ok 8 moa with whut and i manged to knock an ar500 silhouette target with a rifled slug off the hooks at 80 yards

I did. My bad.

Attached: 1431363825735.jpg (2048x1333, 454K)

>only at unrealistic pointblank ranges
wasn't aware 1500 meters was point blank
>dictates road speed
losing speed is and always will be non ideal. trading protection isn't ideal either
Unfortunately explaining the metallurgical properties of DU heavy alloy isn't something I'm capable of. However above 1700m/s DU starts to lose performance to Tungsten Heavy alloy. Thus it's better to make the penetration heavier and stick to the 1500-16500 m/s range when using DU. Unfortunately Bongs experience with heavier and longer DU perpetrators is limited so that remains to be seen not to mention the size limitations of the breach on the L55 and L44

Actually never heard of this? Is it a recent project or have they been considering this since a while? Do they plan to develop their own gun? I'd sure expect them to. Any GLATGM? On aside note, did Brits ever consider 150-ish mm tank guns, like Germans, Russians and Americans?

Attached: object 292 (7).jpg (2250x1500, 1.67M)

>Actually never heard of this? Is it a recent project or have they been considering this since a while
>Do they plan to develop their own gun? I'd sure expect them to.
No, if the gun is replaced (if) it will be a Rheinmetal RH120
>Any GLATGM
Nope
>On aside note, did Brits ever consider 150-ish mm tank guns, like Germans, Russians and Americans
They were going to use the 140MM ATACS that NATO was developing.
soapbox.manywords.press/2017/12/12/on-the-140mm-tank-gun/

>16500 m/s APFSDS
I like where this is going.

Attached: 15zh55m rs-24 yars (4).jpg (1434x1977, 489K)

>No, if the gun is replaced (if) it will be a Rheinmetal RH120
Sad to hear this, I was hoping that maybe they were up to some innovation.
>Nope
Why tho? I sure sounds like an option for replacing HESH and I'm sure they've got scientific capacity to adapt LAHAT or make some Brimstone variant or whatever.
Thanks for the link.

Attached: t-90a ammunition.jpg (1280x960, 728K)

tanks exist entirely so micro dick whybois can larp wwii while they die for israel.

May as well just use a 155mm artillery gun at this point and cut out the middle man of dedicated tank guns.

how big do you think the penetrator of a 155mm APFSDS will be?

Here's the size difference between the 120 mm and the new 130 mm..

Attached: 130mm ammo.jpg (576x768, 79K)

>Why can't a HESH round be fired from a smoothbore?
It can if you strap a tail fin assembly to it. Bongs are just poorfags who cant affird real tanks.

>Posted as I set WW1 in motion because Germany is too powerful
Shouldn't you falseflag or make some propaganda to draw everyone in and betray them in the end, angl*?

Attached: 1545622424268_1.jpg (148x118, 6K)

So... Its a modified Rheinmetall.

learn what MOA is you dumb faggots you don't need to specify a distance. fucking idiots

With that logic I'm going to arsenal mark and sell Remshit 700s as Mausers.

Challenger 2 had a lethality enhancement project (CLEP) in 2015, this came to no real end as it concluded that there was no way to add a smoothbore to the CR2 turret while keeping a useful amount of ammunition.

The Challenger life extension program (LEP) is a competition currently running to modernise the tank for the next 20 years, this program was to exclude the gun.

Earlier this month at a British army event it was mentioned that the two companies have been given the green light to evaluate a new gun - and therefore new turret.

Attached: Screenshot 2018-12-12 at 11.12.05.png (1166x946, 1.33M)

If they are basically 90% Mauser, I dont see why not.

>wasn't aware 1500 meters was point blank

Point blank to 1.5km. 1.5km is the crossover point where DU takes the lead meaning there's pretty much no difference at that range.

A war in Europe was expected to be fought at 2-3km, the gulf war had an average engagement range of 3.3km

Re-manufacturing them so that the receiver and guide-rails stays straight, is arguably a fix.

They were only not straight after a decade of combat use. the furniture was worn out and needed a refresh.

A3 will keep going until a new NATO calibre comes in.

It isn't, congrats on outing yourself as a tard.

>Because 20 years ago when the tank was introduced it was the best gun in NATO.

You mean when its first iteration was introduced in the sixties and the other NATO gun was a 105mm.

Chally 2 came out in 1998

M256 is manufactured under license that is paid to Rheinmetall.

The US has not developed it's own tank gun for a long time, even the 105mm was license built copy of the UK's L7.

There are always going to be minor changes to fit the gun in different turrets.

and in 1998 the US did not have a round better than the UK.

>M256 is manufactured under license that is paid to Rheinmetall.
The tube itself is the same as the RH120, but the breech and several other assemblies are completely different. I'm not even sure that we pay them for it- the M256 design itself was licensed to South Korea.
>The US has not developed it's own tank gun for a long time, even the 105mm was license built copy of the UK's L7.
Completely wrong. In the last 3 decades alone we have the XM360, XM35, and XM291 guns.

jews don't fire missiles from tank cannons

The first iteration of the Challenger II's gun entered service in 1966 on the Cheiftan.

>Completely wrong. In the last 3 decades alone we have the XM360, XM35, and XM291 guns.

The fact they all have an X in them tells you how successful they were.

CHARM 3 is comperable in performance to M829A2 and DM33, the Challenger II has no ammunition competable to M829A3 or DM53/63.

They are very different guns, and if you really want to pretend they are the same then it actually entered service in 1955 on Conqueror.

>even the 105mm was license built copy of the UK's L7

The M68 is an American designed gun with the fume extractor from the L7.

>fired from a short L44 gun

kek

>The fact they all have an X in them tells you how successful they were.
Yes, all of them would've entered service had budget cuts not happened. Besides, what you were asserting is that the US hasn't developed a gun in a long time which I disproved.
The L30 uses 2-piece ammunition fired out of a rifled barrel. There is no chance it performs as well as a modern NATO smoothbore.

The Conqueror had a different gun and ammunition while the L30 is an improved L11.

It's a L7 with modifications, as all guns in different vehicles is.

cool kids use 125 mm smoothbore tho

Except it isn't, the L7 and M68 are radically different gun designs that share a barrel length and ammunition.

yet you wont apply that logic to the following guns? odd.

>what is LAHAT

Attached: 1521335956000.png (722x436, 97K)

LAHAT is a meme that no one has ever seen nor heard about in armor corps
t. former tank gunner

>Challenger II has no ammunition competable to M829A3

So by your own admission CR2 was not surpassed until 2003 with M829A3 was introduced.

>licensed build version of the RH120 with some slight modifications
>IT'S A INDIGENOUS DESIGN, BOY!
Are your parents siblings or what is wrong with you, bud?

Why are you only responding to the latter part of that post?

>guns have different recoil mechanisms, breeches and so forth
>just slight modifications, don't pay attention to details that undercut my fuddlore

>still paying Rheinmetall royalties
>i-it's an US g-gun!
Okay, buddy.

He contended that the M829A2 is equal to the CHARM 3, which I personally highly doubt, but you decided to not answer that at all and claim (Wrongly) the Challenger 2 was unparalelled until the A3 round.

Me on th left

>It's literally an Rhm120

Actually it is not, here are reasons why.

>Well you pay royalties so it's the same!

[citation needed]

155mm width doesn’t dictate anything, the round is only that big because they wanted to increase the energy a ton
And lengthen the penetrator

A larger barrel would be very helpful for lobbing low velocity HE rounds too

So the Berlin Brigade pattern is still in use?

IIRC the breahc is from the Rheinmetall 140mm gun due to being able to use higher pressure loads.

A couple of tanks were repainted with it this year because they were being used in an urban combat research project

I have heard that one of the issues seems to be that since the reveal of the Armata, the MoD is interested in upscaling to a 140mm that would necessarily require an autoloader, whereas the Army is adamant on retaining a fourth crewman.

Pure rumour, but I have heard that requests for information were made to OTO Melara regarding their recoil dampening mechanisims and to Qinetiq about technology relating to ETC guns.

I see, thanks a lot of the explication.
So why pick DU over Tungsten then? If the first has a performance cap. wouldn't the best performance be archived by a long barrel thus high velocity Tungsten penetrator?

The fuck is that on the pic, looks like a T-80 chassis with a tacticooled T-55 turret on top.

The round slows down over distance which gives you more penetration at longer ranges. close range engagements mean that the slight difference in penetration isn't really an issue, whoever hits first pens.

Tungsten is also about 8x more expensive than DU.