Post your favorite """canceled"" projects

A man can dream...

Attached: brillantpebble.jpg (561x465, 57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

osti.gov/biblio/7369133
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MARAUDER
toughsf.blogspot.com/2016/06/the-nuclear-spear-casaba-howitzer.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brilliant_Pebbles#Countermeasures
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The Montana-Class Battleship. We should have built at least one just as a huge middle finger to the whole rest of the world.

Attached: Montana_Class.png (1600x831, 1.48M)

What is it?

Lemme guess, Panama Canal?

Montana would have been BB-71.
This could have been BB-72. It's an "arsenal ship", filled to the brim with VLS cells that would be targeted by other ships in the group

Attached: bb-72.jpg (850x430, 90K)

Brilliant Pebbles. Little orbital kill vehicles that would target ICBM's, should a huge amount of promise. Was slated to be the backbone of SDI before the ending of the cold war got it's funding slashed.

It'd probably be even more obsolete than the blackbird sooner, but still

Attached: Valkyrie 6.jpg (1348x1092, 222K)

Ho XVIII. Would've been powered by six jet engines that required an overhaul around at best twenty hours, and they were expected to carry it across the Atlantic and back in one go. Great example of the later war desperation the Germans as well as their confidence and over reliance on immature technology.

Attached: Horten_H_XVIII.jpg (745x600, 241K)

Whoa, one was actually built and flown, or is this an artist's rendition?

Project MARAUDER. I still hold out hope for plasma cannons some day.

No classified projects discussion is complete without reference of MARUADER. This is an image of the capacitor bank that powered it.

>The project's initial success led to it becoming classified, and only a few references to MARAUDER appeared after 1993. No information about the fate of the project has been published after 1995.

Attached: shivastaar.jpg (1200x952, 319K)

That and the war was over.

Still, what'd I give to have one of those things + USS New Jersey raining 16 inch shells on some fucking Gooks in 'Nam.

Attached: USS New Jersey 'Nam..webm (616x480, 579K)

It was never built, just a pipe dream that they thought might one day allow them to attack the mainland US.

Who was BB-69?

Never built, it was feared that the Soviets would escalate by building the Pr. 420 warship.

One of my favorites growing up

Attached: ct7xbpq5zdcswwjk5lyy[1].jpg (1600x900, 86K)

Montana-class was slated to go from -67 to -71.
-69 would have been the Maine.

I still don't exactly get why they canceled this.

Attached: 1434592307597.jpg (713x401, 97K)

Needs more ASROC

Thin and long

Attached: hstvl.jpg (510x482, 38K)

Say the war kicks off in 42, not 39 - how much extra cool shit would be knocking about with 3 years more prep time?

Right off the bat
>Land at more than 0.5m/s
>Crush a multimillion dollar sensor array and weapon

Attached: kpz 70.jpg (640x435, 75K)

Attached: mbb lampyridae.jpg (750x400, 125K)

Attached: mbb lampyridae (2).jpg (750x400, 70K)

Attached: mtw kaetzchen.png (627x448, 516K)

Attached: do 31.png (859x573, 949K)

Attached: me 264.png (960x576, 693K)

Attached: su-47.jpg (826x540, 90K)

Ospreys are sketchy to begin with

Cancelled in favour of a plane we never bought anyway (with worse specs), potentially one of the best of its generation and rad-looking to boot...the White Paper has killed more craft than any of Britain's enemies ever could

C&C Generals?

Can you guys remind me what's wrong with Arsenal Ships again?

Attached: BAC TSR-2.jpg (800x532, 35K)

>>C&C Generals?
No, I think my introduction to it was some really old Comanche sim game but I'm not sure which one. I also remember it in the Hulk movie

>[quote]"*gets blown up with a single JDAM*"[/quote]
Good idea.

>Hulk movie
What's that, like 2006/7? Yeah, those times. I miss that optimism/post-2001 jingoism

Still, Generals was awesome. There was even a mission or two with re-reactivated Iowas, which is rad.

2003. That was a fun time for cool experimental military equipment.

It's a shame Generals and C&C in general is dead forever. Thanks EA.

Attached: 600px-HulkM197-2[1].jpg (600x396, 86K)

RIP

Also RIP (but good I guess?) that the only part of Generals that ever came true was drones on fucking everything?
Even if they were all baby Global Hawks for the game

Attached: Black Hornet Nano Helicopter UAV.jpg (800x532, 53K)

Attached: Nuremberg.jpg (1200x728, 199K)

The US was starting from scratch with most of its military and particularly its land forces, so there wouldn't have been much difference.
That said, virtually all interwar shit was all pretty bad, it was only once people started testing equipment in battle that they realized how to build decent ships, planes and tanks.
Press f the guys who had to fly pic related against the japs in 1941/

Attached: Boeing-P-26-Peashooter-Title.jpg (600x448, 39K)

Montana class was due for construction in 1942, retard.

The Black Hornet isn't cancelled

what is it?

plasma cannon

A massive cap bank. What they learned here went into development of the rail gun. That's why it was classified. Anyone that understands science, understands that 'plasma cannons' are just sci fi wishful thinking, it's not possible.

I mean like the ships mostly, though yeah, f for a hell of a lot of planes and tanks who only got better with experience - everyone, even the germans, wanted a couple more years to build shit

Royal Navy's proposed 1960s/1970s 54,000 ton fleet carriers. In hindsight would have been the best money we ever spent.

Attached: CVA-01_(2nd).jpg (452x220, 15K)

A plasma railgun is the only kind of plasma cannon that could work, because 'containment' is achieved by simply giving the plasma so much forward velocity that it doesn't have time to disperse.

>because 'containment' is achieved by simply giving the plasma so much forward velocity that it doesn't have time to disperse.
>is achieved by simply giving the plasma so much forward velocity that it doesn't have time to disperse.
>Simply giving the plasma
>Simply

No.

Attached: 1499567009980.jpg (566x480, 54K)

Probably not much considering vast majority of the "greats" were driven by requirements from the front lines and war time developments.

Tank upgunning would've taken longer, more KV'/BT's vice T-34's for the Soviets, etc. T-34 was under heavy pressure for cancellation until the Battle of France scared the shit out of everyone and Barbarossa sealed the deal.

Tiger while planned in 1937 called for a 30-33 ton design. It got a couple further changes in 1938/39 with a couple armor and gun changes (mostly low velocity) but the real major changes that saw the Tiger become the iconic "Tiger" were driven from experiences fighting Char B1/Matilda II showed heavier armor need and T-34's showed need for the 88mm.

Honestly I think it would've put Germany in an ever better position primarily due to Soviet Union killing off their better tank design due to lack of need and inner politicking.

The Flips actually used it in combat against the Japs the day after Pearl Harbor was attacked, probably scoring at least a single kill.

Attached: Flip kills.jpg (600x449, 101K)

Plasma railguns are indeed simple. Enough energy will ionize the armature and create a plasma that will accelerate down the rails as it conducts current.

They're not practical, but that doesn't stop high schoolers on Jow Forums from thinking there's a successful scifi black project somewhere.

You are talking out of your arse and I assume you are doing this in an effort to wind me up. You almost had me, almost.

My dad was XO of the New Jersey in the late '80s. Shit was so cash.

Comanche a qt.

Attached: 1459109700926-3.jpg (1200x819, 145K)

(you)

>Can you guys remind me what's wrong with Arsenal Ships again?
Too focused. All those expensive missiles locked up in one platform. And the enemy manages to disable it, you just lost all control of the area it was supposed to be protecting.
A bunch of smaller ships can patrol a larger area with the same amount of missiles and still exert control even if several of them are disabled.

It's ok to admit u never went to college

Attached: image0.png (1125x1162, 706K)

Looks Australian to me. I guess it'd be guaranteed to return to base after every mission.

Mega plasma bolt projector.

There were multiple railgun programs in the 80s and 90s that had plasma armatures. Go search DTIC for papers. I'm not going to spoon feed you.

probably drawn up by some engineer not wanting to be thrown into the eastern front

Imagine if they actually made this and kept them up to spec, they'd probably still be flying now. Would we even have B-1s or B-2s? Imagine this carpeting bombing the iraqis during desert storm

Attached: 1543688018358.png (640x640, 520K)

Why did this have to get canceled
Imagine this bombing Hanoi in vietnam

Attached: yb-49a-earlyramp.jpg (888x512, 53K)

Why couldn't you have the sensor suite / gun mount extend out of the side doors or the back ramp?

I know you goon. They were called electro thermal cannons. Vaporizing a metal, to create a plasma, to ignite a heavier propellant, or an effort to try propel a rail gun slug a bit faster. At no point did they make 'plasma canons'.

Hehehe sci-fi dakka.

>put EO DAS on Osprey
>It's actually useful
>make dakka shoot down incoming Iglas/Stingers/maybe AIM-9s and R-73s
>hue hue America finally has a Hind

Kicking down your IAD, bombing your DF-21 sites.

Attached: A12 Avenger II infographic.jpg (2200x1640, 905K)

We are not talking about electro thermal cannons. osti.gov/biblio/7369133 en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MARAUDER

>And we are back to Sci Fi nonsense

user, plasma doesn't work the way you think it does. They don't have plasma guns, they aren't blasting stuff with plasma cannons. Do some reasearch, get learning and you too will understand why it's not possible to

>Create an 'ultra dense' plasma
>Fold it into toroids
>Then fire it out of a cannon.

If you understood the science, you'd fell very silly right now.

>Project Pluto was a United States government program to develop nuclear-powered ramjet engine

>The nuclear engine could, in principle, operate for months, so a Pluto cruise missile could be left airborne for a prolonged time before being directed to carry out its attack.

Attached: Tory-IIC_nuclear_ramjet_at_Jackass_Flats_in_1955.jpg (302x230, 17K)

The nuclear ramjet pictured was actually ran for 5 minutes at full power, in-atmo.

Nuclear shaped charge, the "Casaba Howitzer" intended for the Orion project but with easy conversion to an offensive exo-atmospeheric weapon.

toughsf.blogspot.com/2016/06/the-nuclear-spear-casaba-howitzer.html

Attached: nuclear shaped charge.png (494x600, 143K)

Attached: LCAC Peacekeeper.jpg (864x721, 282K)

fuck your armored batallion

Attached: Wasp-Cutaway-S.jpg (640x706, 62K)

flying aircraft carrier

Never ever :(

Attached: adgs3.png (1056x689, 418K)

Attached: adgs1.png (1003x808, 412K)

>I don't even understand ETC let alone railguns, but I'll double down anyways.

Sure, kid.

BP had a lot of problems, chief among which was its extreme cost and the necessity to have perhaps as many as 7,000 individual pebbles in order to get enough coverage to defeat an attack. Plus there were plenty of ways to counter it:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brilliant_Pebbles#Countermeasures

One of the many insane methods people dreamed up to launch ICBM's. Here's my personal favorite.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 2.49.03 PM.png (1156x1518, 291K)

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 2.49.51 PM.png (1022x984, 653K)

>Why did this have to get canceled
internal sabotage and design flaws

cute kitten

The Junker EF 132 was most plausible.

Attached: 1499957813469.jpg (2448x3288, 1.5M)

Boeing, were you listening?

As stated, not much. The exception being battle rifles. WW2 was the war that was supposed to have been fought with battle rifles but kicked off too early to manufacture enough of them

It was cancelled?

Attached: 1543732439711.webm (1280x720, 1.48M)

Oh, I'm a idiot. They were on the v-22's in 2009 Afghanistan, but rarely used.

Go on then, tell me how the plasma cannons work. Just how do you create an ultra dense plasma, that you simply fold into toroids and shoot out of a cannon, in atmospheric conditions.

And go.

Literally any canceled project of ww2. Ever since I read up on mw2 stuff they didnt put in the game I became a huge sucker for "what if"

Attached: 1544191595135.jpg (1080x1100, 468K)

Not part of Orion but ok

>wasting money on a useless design
the only people who would have been getting that middle finger is the US taxpayer.

>meanwhile we’re dropping 250k bombs on the desert every day
>implying money matters at all to the military

Stupid idea.

Nobody has feared a Soviet/ Russian warship ever.
Submarines after German tech infusion, sure.

>the joke

>your head

Read the scientific paper I linked you.

Why is this diagram labelled in fettuccine?

too much wackamole I see

What about Particle Beams?