Was the P-90 really an upgrade over the MP5 for SG-1...

Was the P-90 really an upgrade over the MP5 for SG-1? Was it really the best decision for the primary service weapon of the Atlantis base to be P-90s?

Attached: 46586-1532336916.jpg (640x356, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CEK963x6VSY
excelarms.com/rifles/xseriesrifle.html
youtube.com/watch?v=NjlCVW_ouL8
youtube.com/watch?v=4MMjYfXDvSA
youtube.com/watch?v=O2EGyUBQfss
youtube.com/watch?v=I-SMVx2pA40
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Enemies walk around with armour 24/7
Not the worst option, desu.

>able to carry more ammunition
>better armor penetration
>looks scifiy
Yes, however MP5s will always be the most aesthetic

Was it ever shown that the M-16 or MP-5 were ineffective against Jaffa armor?

m-16s/m4s were always shown as effective. Even the mp5 was also always effective against jaffa. They switched to the p90 because of the replicators, it was all about capacity, sustained full auto armor piercing fire.

in real life what happened was the GWOT started and 9mm blanks became scarce and the armory has a bunch of p90s

>ywn slay jaffa niggers and bang hot alien sluts

I thought it was because with the P-90 they eject downwards allowing them to safely get more actors in the shot than they could with a conventional side ejecting gun and then because of the war on terror they couldn't get 5.7 blanks so that is why they used the Carter Special

the main reason sg-1 uses p90s and because they are small and don't look threatening but they have a lot of firepower. sg-1 is primarily a diplomatic SF type unit. They are going to a planet to establish partner forces, gain intel, do recon. They aren't a direct action unit like SG-3

nah the carter special was only briefly used. It was a gimmick because in the episodes she used it she was in direct action mission or was all by herself with a scientist or something.

sg-3 rolled out with m4s, grenade launchers, beta c mags, SAWs/m60s, and even a barrett 50 a couple time. Also AT4s, laws and stingers.

Attached: 500px-SG1.2R.jpg (500x281, 56K)

Jaffa armor only ever seemed effective against the m9, and even then only in earlier seasons.

Considering the primary threat Jaffa faced was uprisings from primitive people armed with spears and bows and it's not really bad at all though.

You see something sort of similar with the Wraith, who could eat a full clip from a P90 in early seasons and be easily put down in later seasons. There's at least an in-universe justification though in that the Wraith were starving by that point and the power of their regeneration is tied to how recently they've fed. Whenever we see a freshly fed Wraith in later seasons they return to early season power levels.

>clip

I always got the impression the P90 is mostly a meme but 5.7 is a good round

the p90 is the only good gun chambered in 5.7

youtube.com/watch?v=CEK963x6VSY

Other than the pistol, what other weapons are chambered in it? Any full length rifles?

Excel Arms makes a full size carbine chambered for it.
excelarms.com/rifles/xseriesrifle.html

That other pistol by Masterpiece Arms that looks like a boxy machine pistol.

Attached: 2016-MPA57DMG.jpg (2357x1615, 318K)

damn, beat me to it.

Given that Jaffa warriors walked around in metal armor, there's a certain appeal. Mind you can also carry a fair bit of ammo for the things.

I'd personally want to carry an M16 (maybe a Colt 715) for the range and power over the other two.
Someone else can carry a shotgun for replicators.

Shame that thing is so ludicrously expensive.
The AR57 upper is another good one, even using P90 magazines.

>expensive

stop being poor

chambering a full length rifle in an anemic caliber isn't going to be a good gun. The p90 makes 5.7 good by being a full auto high capacity compact weapon. As soon as you start making it a full sized weapon you lose all that because you could just use a bigger cartridge

hi oglach

I really like the concept, but for that price I could just as well step up to an actual PS90 SBR.
It's a blowback 5.7mm with a lot of standard AR15 parts, granted with a proprietary receiver, but why such a high price tag? I'd be more inclined to it if it were like $1000

Attached: mk57.jpg (1280x720, 186K)

I see your train of thought, but I figure that you could make for particularly lightweight varmint rifle with the 5.7mm cartridge.

For an extreme comparison, a really lightweight .308 is not very fun to shoot, but for 5.7mm, recoil is inherently so light it doesn't matter that the rifle weighs like 4lbs.

I work at a range and handle a PS-90 every day. If there was ever a gun I'd storm a building with, it'd be the P-90.

why not with this?

Attached: mp7.png (621x439, 741K)

fuck off merkle

They weren't consistent with what units did what missions but someone of them were just direct action fire teams meant to be sent in support of an exploration team.

They could have used the stargate so much smarter IRL.

Attached: Stargate.jpg (1024x575, 81K)

You will never shoot a space vampire with a glow in the dark Colt Python.

Attached: Ronon'sgun2.jpg (829x396, 53K)

>FN makes 5.7x28mm
>gets blasted because puny
>HK hands beer to FN and says watch this
>HK make 4.6x30mm

Great choice.

Attached: 10x13_the_road_not_taken-03.jpg (673x720, 36K)

Hnnng!

Attached: Sam-Carter-Stargate-Amanda-Tapping-b.jpg (500x871, 72K)

You try fitting a Stryker in a hallway or elevator

The first time they used P90s was when they were hunting an Unas. All about them wound vectors.

Yeah 'cause they just built Cheyenne Mountain around the gate.

Attached: 44120818carter-p90-jpg.jpg (550x412, 29K)

Yeah. Its a missile silo and they can lower shit down into it.

It should be a giant shipping center crossed with a hostile border crossing. I have spent a lot of time thinking about what a real world military Stargate terminal would look like. You should be able to load dozens of strikers or shrink wrapped pallets through it at a moments notice.

Attached: SG1 C4 Prop.jpg (640x480, 37K)

>full clip
I wonder how many people will fall for this

You have to remember, SG1 was a scouting group. The P90 was ideal for that - relatively lightweight, armor piercing, and compact.

When shit really hit the fan they had other rifles on hand.

>I have spent a lot of time thinking about what a real world military Stargate terminal would look like
A fucklong tunnel with a massive stationary laser array + cannons and machineguns at the end opposite the gate for one

>capacity of sustained armor piercing firepower
So why not just drag along M249s and M240s?

It seemed like the Jaffa Armor was only ever defeated by ballistics because of slipping between the plates. Either that or extreme force with an occasional .50bmg encounter. Their armor wasnt built for that, it was made for providing bare minimum defense against staff weapons, and stopping all types of Melee implements like axes being wielded by raging tribals. Scale Mail is very effective against that especially if its some extremely resilient metal (they said in several episodes it was something called Trinium, which the system lords had a stranglehold on even worse than naquadah). Jaffa are expendable though, the system lords didnt see a reason to upgrade their armor.
> mfw Kull Warriors

More ammo with a flatter trajectory makes the P-90 an obvious winner over the MP-5 for the situational needs. But keeping the Berettas around was a shit since ammo compatibility logistics demanded a Five Seven.
> mfw daniel goes akimbo with berettas and can actually hold his own against jaffa
> though mainly because he caught them off guard rushing

The real question is why after having killed so many jaffa and collected so many Staff Weapons, they didnt just take the staff weapons apart and reconfigure them into rifle configuration
> take the butt of the weapon and all the cables inside the staff and loop them forward as a possible lunging weapon
> rotate the trigger down where a gun trigger would be
> put it in a cheesy 80s experimental looking aluminum frame with a basic bitch AR collapsable stock
> put a Scope on top of it.
The accuracy of the staff weapons was their only weakness. Fix that and you've pretty much got an infinite ammo 20mm grenade launcher.

If they put slower powder in a 5.7 ill bet you could get even higher velocities out of it in a rifle length barrel.

now thats interesting, I always figured they were just trying to look more modern

Attached: kac pdw 4pounds.jpg (600x450, 73K)

OP here. Either this is what this thread is now about, OR, I will make a new thread about this

Attached: argebtunian skank.jpg (540x720, 107K)

>More ammo with a flatter trajectory makes the P-90 an obvious winner over the MP-5 for the situational needs. But keeping the Berettas around was a shit since ammo compatibility logistics demanded a Five Seven.

Do MP5s use the same ammo as the M92? I thought MP5 was loaded with a lot hotter 9mm than pistol ammo is loaded.

>yfw no mp5/10 or even better 10mm tommy gun

Attached: 2cb0ccfbcf6c22c37ebba80a651ec341.jpg (600x400, 29K)

>I thought MP5 was loaded with a lot hotter 9mm than pistol ammo is loaded.
No.

MP5s are often loaded with +P ammo but you can load that in a handgun no problem.
What happens is that its got a longer barrel, 8-9 inches I think and that gets better efficiency out of a 9mm cartridge due to being a carbine. Hits about 200fps faster. But thats always been a thing all the way back to the first WW1 SMGs.

The 9x19 NATO that the military uses are +P in order to penetrate a Warsaw Pact helmet at 15 yards and those hot loads are part of the reason the US Military issue Beretta's are beat to shit thus suffering a reputation among the troops as being unreliable. In the extra barrel length of an MP5 the penetration would be bretty gud.

wait a second

Attached: Black Light Retribution Machine Pistol.png (1021x879, 486K)

Attached: Absolutely solid.jpg (454x798, 261K)

>Striker
>Jaffa staff the fuck out of it
Good job.

>not just putting a nuke on an RC car and pushing that through the gate

M-muh overpriced meme .22 magnum.

No, reloading a P-90 is a step back.

>a

RULE
OF
COOL

They did it a few times later on but the MALP really should have been replaced with a far cheaper, faster, and aerial advantage drone. There should have been a fucking fleet of drones going through the gate every dial to clear the immediate area and provide constant above down surveillance.

They used drones a handful of times. Even used a pseduo Predator to drop Hellfires on nig...Jaffa.

I think it was budgets that held more from getting on the show. Drones were still fairly new and novel at the time, and military models were pretty expensive. In universe, I think MALPs had more sensitive sensor packages.

What's faster? Reloading a p90 once or reloading an MP5 4 times?

>military models were pretty expensive.
Literally the only thing expensive about them is the fact that they exist and are functional. It would have cost them almost nothing to do some 3d renders.

Yeah but they got really lazy with the MALPs and even when they dialed completely unknown worlds 90% of the time they forgot or didn't give enough of a shit to have one parked at the exit gate. That things were fucking huge. I can forgive them saying the 10 inch wide rotor drone MALP just flew back or was in the sky on overwatch. Grinded my gears when they just completely fucking ignored protocol and sent teams through without proper recon.

>JAFFA, KREE!

Attached: 5674568459.png (1000x563, 571K)

Staff blasts do fuck all to steel and sometimes even giant rocks they just leave scorch marks. A LAV III or Stryker would survive easily.

If you think a paycheck of 1300 is just as good as a paycheck of 1700...then I know a guy named chuck, who is hiring.

I'm still pissed there weren't episodes where an SG team of Rangers or something goes on head-hunting missions and laying waste to entire platoons of Jaffa. I'd even settle for a sniper team basically going on safari on a Jaffa planet with their gillie suits and some rations.

But the big emplaced ones would fuck up a striker

SG-1 had the better part of a shoe-string budget holmes. And even with the USAF backing they were only allowed so much

What is "The writers got lazy as time went on" for 500, Alex?
Dont worry it pissed me off too. Like why O-6 Colonel's are allowed to lead field recon teams????

Orpheus in S7. SG1 and 3 light a Jaffa camp the fuck up with mortars, PSG1's and various small arms.

totally, but after the first shot it ain't hitting shit because they're so inaccurate. After the first shot the LAV is gonna find the shooter with FLIR and light its ass up.

They used these every now and then.

Attached: Stargate missiles.jpg (300x168, 9K)

When they thought shit was going to hit the fan they did.

Just not on the scouting, diplomatic or infil missions SG1 was usually on.

Attached: 500px-SG1_7[1].jpg (500x282, 63K)

Attached: AmandaTapping.jpg (978x1440, 198K)

Reloading a MP5 4 times, also you don't take your eyes off your sights.

I think part of the cannon was that they just autodial random addresses until they got a connection & that was when the MALP went through.

The SG team went through sometimes weeks after first dial & remote assessment.

I vaguely remember one episode where in this gap of monitoring a huge enemy force had set up camp.

> The real question is why after having killed so many jaffa and collected so many Staff Weapons, they didnt just take the staff weapons apart and reconfigure them into rifle configuration

Wasn't the staff length part of the design, as in it needed to be that long to work. What I want to know is why no one tried a Gatling staff Canon thing.

>The real question is why after having killed so many jaffa and collected so many Staff Weapons, they didnt just take the staff weapons apart and reconfigure them into rifle configuration
Because that would look gay

>plasma auto rifles are gay
no ur the gey

Because even with sci-fi bullshit that makes plasma weapons far better than they would be in real life, in the stargate universe they are still flashy bullshit that doesn't get as much done as other weapons.

they can't be that great when earthling guns outshot them every time

youtube.com/watch?v=NjlCVW_ouL8

Mean this for

Exactly what i mean. IRL plasma weapons are a pipe dream. In Stargate even with sci-fi bullshit the plasma weapons still suck and they are breaking several laws of physics just to be that good.

>laughs in MARAUDER

That thing is part of how we know plasma weapons are bullshit.

Attached: Big iron.jpg (522x522, 110K)

that picture was the exact moment when I thought "wow, the SGC upped their game"

>Don't to pay 1 dollar per 10 round royalties to FN for a soon to be standartized NATO round
I don't see anything wrong with that

I always wondered what kinda blanks and/or BFA they used for the show.

Machinist died a few years ago, not made anymore

That unironically looks like a toy.

I don't know what it's called but those things that tanks use to spray smoke grenades in every direction, they could have a directed bunch of those to just fire off a mass of grenades through the gate.

>It seemed like the Jaffa Armor was only ever defeated by ballistics because of slipping between the plates.
I would wonder where you're getting that idea from, considering that the breastplates on jaffa armor are single piece and that breastplate is where 100% of bullets from SG1 go (nothing to do with how the pyrotechnics are set up, I'm sure). Either way, literally anything SG1 shot at the breast plate (and mail underneath) was able to pen it, including Daniel's Beretta.

>The accuracy of the staff weapons was their only weakness. Fix that and you've pretty much got an infinite ammo 20mm grenade launcher.
The blast radius on staff weapons is 6 inches on a good day and even cannon sized tripod mounted versions are defeated by a small amount of sand. The bombs that flyers drop don't do shit either; they're probably significantly less lethal than your average hand-grenade if you look at the bast radius on em.
Plus of course staff weapon plasma is slow as fuck and basically draws a line to your position for the enemy to shoot at.

Here's a few clips to show you what I'm talking about:

>Daniels smokes a jaffa through the breast plate with a beretta.
>Some mook dies to a blast that hits at his feet.
>SG1 and some mooks shrug off a crew serviced staff weapon the size of an actual 20mm chaingun by hiding in a small ditch.
youtube.com/watch?v=4MMjYfXDvSA

>Staff weapons impacting half a foot from mooks faces and doing nothing.
>Brave mook goes down despite pulling off the most flamboyant c-clamp stance on his AR possible.
youtube.com/watch?v=O2EGyUBQfss

>Flyers showing off laughably pathetic their bombs are:
youtube.com/watch?v=I-SMVx2pA40

Attached: CPnNKe_UcAk2NYi.jpg (682x1024, 101K)

I did not know that. Nobody else can make them, or make something just like them?

Attached: sap.jpg (636x382, 50K)

>based Harrell poster

Have another one

Attached: Amanda Tapping US flag 2.jpg (1800x2690, 345K)

is that fucking animal mother?

>that tiny bit of areola peeking out

Attached: sweat.jpg (300x300, 21K)

>Tiny bit
>As in the bit you've got to scutch closer to the monitor and squint at to see

user, we all want to see her naked, but mate your going to do your eye sight in squinting at your pc screen. Just do what everyone else does.

>Uses their imaginations

>Uses imagination
>suddenly there's a boner under the flag
>image ruined
Fuck you Jow Forums traps.