22lr - semi vs bolt action?

Spent the day with my dad cleaning Gramp's old Ithaca X5, Marlin 60 and 10/22. The guns jams randomly no matter what ammo, and are always cleaned thoroughly. I was wondering if a bolt action 22lr does away with annoying mandatory cleaning and hiccups with cycling and fire to fires. The Ruger is most reliable cause easiest to clean. I was think of trading the Marlin in and getting an XT or maybe a CZ 52 or 55

Attached: XT-22.png (1200x450, 179K)

It's actually the blowback mechanism in the autoloader. The bolt weight is specifically tailored for a specific amount with a specific powder load. Anything less will cause the action to short stroke and either not eject, or will not pull back the hammer for the next round to fire.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the lesser quality 22's were developed with the intention of manual actions only.

In regards to your model 60, if you haven't already tried it, CCI Mini Mags (36 grain @ ~1200 fps) would be a decent place to start.

I hope it helps, man.

Attached: ed_pic_face__i_am_dead_from_the_neck_up__by_gametagger457-d4y0jlt.jpg (467x350, 37K)

Get a lever action instead

Henry's 22lr is like $500! And I heard the Mossberg lever gat fucks up worse than semi autos due to poor design

Will try. We have those but just for my dad's Browning Medalist. We cleaned the bolt face and the breech super thoroughly today, they had gunk caked in, didn't even notice how much piled up.

I think a take down 10/22 is ultimate for ease cleaning actually. I'm kinda ruling out a bolt action rimfire, I like to pop off lots of rounds.

Okay well then don't get the Mossberg?
And the h001 henry from Walmart is like $300

Thing about semi auto .22's is they have to be super clean to function properly because the blow back does not have much power to work with in the first place, its like a clock mechanism.

Ok. Keep us noted on how it goes, m8. After fixing a problem with my own 22 (the same way), I'm dying to see if it's true or just dumb luck

Will do. Going shooting next Saturday with friends and family. Will probably be like a dozen different 22lr's. At an uncle's place, noise is a concern, only 22lr rifles on his property. I think I need fresh solvent and better brushes and cleaning tools.

What's the name of that Italian .22 that was both a bolt action and semi? I'd get one of those if the opportunity presented itself

Trading in a Marlin model 60? They're gonna offer you like $25. Best to keep it esp if they were grandpa's.

Are you stupid?
Anything mechanical will show signs of wear.
If those guns has issues, then explore the reason why and fix the problem
A bold gun still has moving parts and those parts will wear and eventually need replacement too.

I have a Marlin Papoose that is super easy to basic clean and have hardly ever had a hiccup with it

No this was some old junker my dad got for some side job. It had a bent firing pin, bent guide rod and spring, all replaced and still has occasional hiccups like the rest.

I tend not to like semiautos in .22lr - the cartridge just barely has kinda-sorta enough oomph to reliably cycle a semiauto action. The only ones I have are an AR-7 because nothing else quite fills that niche, and a Ruger Mk. IV Lite because groovy purple space gun. But generally, I think it’s better to stick with manual actions in that caliber.

This, Browning BL-22 is great

Generations of people, millions of people all around the world have successfully use semi-auto 22s
But this user thinks there is an issue with those firearms.
Just another moron on the internet

Model 60s hold up to so much abuse. You can get up to 10k with zero cleaning. Then the gun becomes "broken" and gets sold. You buy a nonfunctional marlin for 50 bucks spend 30 on springs then fully detail strip the bitch. Perfectly working gun again. Just cause people dont clean them or cleaning is just external and the barrel.

most guns will do a lot better if you take the time to clean them properly after a shoot.
With 22's and especially semi-auto's you also have to resist the urge to drown it in gun oil. I've seen people struggling with cycling and many times turned out to be overly oiled. Light oiling works best.
With semi vs bolt action I tend to like bolt action for accuracy and less noise.
Semi's are just as accurate dont get me wrong but when hunting I prefer to make as little noise as possible hence I use a bolt-action.

I tend to prefer manual actions for .22, just due to the inherent unreliability of rimfire.

Did you check the mag tension spring? If it’s old, it might just be loose. I have a Mossberg from the 50’s and I could get it to feed worth a shit despite cleaning it well, until I tightened up the screws holding the mag retention spring. Now it runs great.

Just inherited my uncle's marlin 60, and the bolt tends to hang up halfway through travel. Have you encountered this before? I suspect that it's the ejector spring, but I want to rule out other causes

Beretta Olimpia Sport, but are long discontinued.

Man I also own a Marlin 60 but it very accurate and reliable, fun to shoot.
IT IS ammo sensitive; last trip I shot like 150 CCIs Blazers no problem, but with some Federal 714 had all of the problems.

Very strange, as sometimes I run some SK Standard + that are very low power and run with just a few failures.

What I did to my marlin, as new, is to obviously strip everything and polish with 1000 grit paper and polish paste the bolt a little as it it somehow not very smooth with hard edges.
It runs very nice now. IT becomes dirty and begins to have problems around the 300 rounds without cleaning or lube.

Attached: 20151125_181354.jpg (1548x2064, 986K)