Free float rails BTFO

Attached: YKmKA2r_d.jpg (640x969, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Official-M4A1-USASOC-URG-I-and-Clone-Picture-and-Discussion-Thread/118-722381/?page=105
soldiersystems.net/2017/05/05/details-on-the-ussocom-sponsored-keymod-vs-m-lok-test-conducted-at-nswc-crane/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>M4A1 Carbine
>SOCOM barrel
>Half the rounds through it as the competition
Results have fuck all to do with free-floating barrels

Attached: AR-15 CARBINE.jpg (1280x720, 203K)

idk how this BTFO's free float rails
then again I'm the fucking muppet who just has a red dot mounted on the upper receiver

I don't think the military has a clue what the scientific method is...

>6000 vs 1200
You misread. It's not 12 thousand.
>dropped from 1.5m
>10.37 MOA shift

here's what the test says, for the retards:

A sight on a quality handguard will not heat up and POI will not shift much during firing. However, when dropped, handguards bolted to barrel nuts tend to bend. A fucking lot.

A gas block/sight combo will heat up a lot during firing and POI will shift a good bit. But, if dropped, it won't bend very much.

The takeaway is that the rifle needs a minor redesign. Maybe a solid monolithic upper that's less bend-prone than these bolted on handguards made of 6061-T6. Yes, they aren't made of 7075. Geissele makes their handguards out of cheaper weak shit and charges you your anal virginity for it.

so my KAC quad rail is. now back to state of the art?

Okay QRD:
>PP slide shows drop test results between M4A1 (KAC RAS + SOCOM Barrel) vs URG-I (Jizzlee Mk16 + DD Midlength CHF 14.5)
>M4A1 showed no MOA shift from drop at 1.5m
>URG-I shifted 10 MOA (that's nearly a foot at 100 yards, or 3 feet at 300)
>Unless the barrel is bent, it is reasonable to deduce that the drift is actually from the rail shifting causing the mounted laser to lose zero

A member on barfcom dropped his URG-I on purpose with a MAWL, and the rail bent.
ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Official-M4A1-USASOC-URG-I-and-Clone-Picture-and-Discussion-Thread/118-722381/?page=105
Middle of page.

You can see the bend in the middle in this pic.

In conclusion, theoretically:
>long FF rails are less rigid than short rails
>Mlok rails are less sturdy than quad rails

Attached: JGibshO.jpg (1960x4032, 553K)

Who’s mounting optics to their handguards these days anyway?

it's a design from the 50s, i don't know why people expect to keep it the same with a few bolt on improvements. literal billy-bob and cletus engineering.

>i bolted this here tube on er and now it looks like onna dem fabrique nayshanals
>hooo-eee! looks sick, pardner!

tactical fudds with backup optics, flip up backup irons, and 45 degree backup irons in case they can't flip up the flip ups in time

>the Army was right all along
why am I not surprised

Attached: potatoar.jpg (1500x844, 210K)

How will AR owners ever recover? Be careful guys, don't get mad and set your rifle down too rough. You don't want that 10 moa zero shift.

Or just put your laser on the upper instead of the handguard. It has to be done with consideration for your hand placement and you can't put a flashlight in the way but it's the way to go unless you have a monolithic upper.

Most handguards are made from 6061 aluminum because it's lighter.

>t. neverserved
try carefully setting your rifle down while diving into the prone after a sprint, on woodland or urban terrain

>A gas block/sight combo will heat up a lot during firing and POI will shift a good bit. But, if dropped, it won't bend very much.
Actually, 4.5 MOA is the standard accuracy for rack grade M4A1s with non-FF handguards and standard ammo.

The gain in accuracy is in URG-I is from freefloating the barrel, thus reducing spread to almost half at 2 MOA.

Though the shift in BUIS is a big problem, the even bigger issue is rail mounted lasers for night vision. A long FF shifting is unvoidable, but they usually return to zero. Getting bent after dropped is shows lack of structural strength in design.

That's why we go from FF rails to monolithic uppers. Stronger material, less bending. Current offerings are inherently weak.

Obviously the AR design is so bad that even if your optic is mounted to the receiver, the handguard experiencing even minor pressure differences will throw off your zero. ARs are for literal mallninjas who shoot off the same sled in the same position every single time. No wonder Americans can't win a war, their rifles aren't even zero'd.

URG-I is a USASOC (Army SF) program. They had too much input from 3-gunners from the AMU.
Putting the laser too far back can cause unwanted splash back, like a flashlight.
There's no proof that a similar monolithic setup won't deflect or bend. It's all about the length and profile of the handguard. You sacrifice strength for lightweight.
6061 is used due to cost, and ease of machining compared to 7075.

Barfcom guy who bent his Mk16 says that a RIS II did not shift from a similar drop with MAWL mounted. So in theory, a quad rail is structurally stronger than Mlok, or maybe Jizzlee just sucks, and perhaps a KAC or HODGE would do better.

I think this is more of how BUIS are a joke, you could literally carry a 2nd fkn optic and not have to worry about zero retention of POI change from putting stress on the barrel or bumping the handguard.

>being so low iq all you qualified for was infantry and you can't even detect when someone is trashing an object instead of being totally literal

Next time I'll just say ARs are trash

or just don't have a shitty fucking optic

or, even more tacticool, put the sights on the optic

At least I can use my mosin as a baseball bat and still hit a target when I'm done. Brb knock your AR too hard and you're stormtrooper tier

Because MLOK inherently uses less material than quad rails, I think they would just as likely bend in monolithic form.

As far as shifting from load, like putting a bipod, or pressing against obstacles, that all depends on the length of the rail, and how thick it is structurally. LMT has never showed any tests against non-monolithic setups.

Look at how thin that handguard is, I think it would be just as fucked as Mk16, except now, you will not only change the handguard, but the whole expensive upper as well.

Quad rail masterrace

Attached: r_TJGBv_E.jpg (1280x706, 312K)

Bait is confusing.

Attached: What.png (499x515, 515K)

BUIS are there in case the primary optic fails. If one optic is enough, just don't use BUIS. The zero shift in the above test was with BUIS mounted on free float rails.

An optic mounted on the upper receiver shouldn't shift zero at all.

I don't use BUIS. I have almost zero chance to win in some high speed low drag cqb scenario. So if my optic fails I will just fuck off.

>I think they would just as likely bend in monolithic form.

if they were a bit thicker and used a stronger alloy they might not. there's only one way to find out.

where are the beefy mlok monolithic uppers and who has $1000 to burn on a drop test?

fug these guys cost me so much money I feel suckered

Attached: e68u4p.jpg (640x427, 53K)

>better than M4A1
>An admin turned off commenting for this post.
>Heavier
>Not tested
>not tested
>less shift during firing, but only at one fifth the number of rounds
>little more than twice as much shift from dropped.
>"better than M4A1"
Wut retardation is this?

Attached: abstract.jpg (185x250, 3K)

LMT MLR uppers were on sale for like $450 for christmas I think.

The problem is, MLOK has thickness and size specifications and there's a limit on how thick you can profile the handguards. Quad rails could be as thick as it wanted underneath since the 1913 specs are outside, except considering weight.

Magpul is pretty much BTFO as well. Quad rails will be forever until someone comes up with something better.

Attached: Magpul-M-LOK-System-3.jpg (740x350, 18K)

The attachment areas have thickness specs but non-functional areas could be thick for support.

In 4 tests of people zero'ing their ARs then dropping them and then seeing where the bullets hit BUT that won't happen because AR fags would rather be happily ignorant. Btw this doesn't happen on ak's someone get ak operators union on the test

>long FF rails are less rigid than short rails
>Mlok rails are less sturdy than quad rails
....is this revolutionary information? Am I in retard land right now? When did less material magically became stronger than more material? When did shorter rails have less rigidity than longer rails?
What the fuck is this? Did common fucking sense take a shit?

Actually yes common sense did take a shit. A massive shit. It was FDE colored, because it was a tactical shit.

you put the iron sights on the very end of that there handguard. yes. that's where they go. pinning shit to the barrel might cost you 0.1moa because barrel harmonics, you know? and then it's not modular. you gotta be modular.

Attached: p-6727-watermarked_-_1_1_.jpg (1024x534, 35K)

The weird thing is in this pic the top 1930 rail is also bent. Maybe mlok causes overall lack of strength, not just in mlok areas.
It's common sense, but until now, there has been little real proof. So, you can tell FF MLOK fags to fuck off with full confidence.

>mfw have a long FF mlok rail and only use it to keep my hands off the barrel and put a bipod on
>mfw would cut out the top and install an FSB if I wanted irons
>mfw no laser and not interested in one

Attached: 1544318241503.png (1280x720, 1.04M)

the black haired girl on the left is super hot who is she

What about shelfmod?

>girl

>AK fags confirmed for cheeto finger cretins that drop their rifles all the time.
This is kinda surprising as I have generally been way more wary of whacking my A2 FSB out of adjustment than any of my free float rails..

none of those are girls user

>soldiersystems.net/2017/05/05/details-on-the-ussocom-sponsored-keymod-vs-m-lok-test-conducted-at-nswc-crane/
Mlok already BTFO dickmod. Now that Mlok is BTFO, it's back to the drawing board.

Short quad rails, and solid sections if you don't want to put shit on the bottom/sides? Like we were already doing before zoomers put looks first?

>A2 FSB out of alignment
If it's factory pinned, that's nearly impossible. The FSB is forged, the barrel drilled to matching FSB, and if it's Colt, they use a hydraulic press to put the tapered pins in.

Attached: colt-fsb-park.jpg (700x651, 52K)

>pinning shit to the barrel might cost you 0.1moa because barrel harmonics, you know?
That's the military, they have way different needs than your average civilian. You can argue the two sides feed into each other, but in the end of the day, the civilian side can afford a more fragile system since they're not banging around vehicles, ships, airplanes, etc or flung into a prolonged firefights. Nor do they fight by themselves, they are in groups and have a whole logistics of firepower and support backing them if they need. The civilian side will obviously want to push and squeeze whatever benefits they can out of the weapon system, that includes free floating a barrel or lighter materials/accessories, and they don't have to go through bureaucratic red tape to get it all approved.
>and then it's not modular. you gotta be modular.
I am not sure if you're being sarcastic or just an actual fudd at this point because there is nothing wrong with having the option to be modular. This isn't a hipster competition, having more options is a good thing.

>but until now, there has been little real proof. So, you can tell FF MLOK fags to fuck off with full confidence.
people go MLOK because it's lighter and less bulk than rails. Anyone with a brain realizes mlok handguard has less material thus less durability overall than a full quad rail. I don't understand the animosity over stupid nothings?

>Having more options is a good thing

So you can choose between one brand name of flip up sights and another, right? All the modularity a front sight needs is a replaceable post so you can have night sights.

The rifle was meant to have an front sight pinned to the barrel. If you don't have that you don't have good irons. And a lot of kids these days just cover the entire barrel with a handguard. Therefore, they can't have good irons and are just wasting their money on "BUIS". Simple as.

ITT: assblasted poorfag neofudds making a mountain out of a molehill because they're desperate to prove their shitty A2 clone is better/just as good as newer versions of the AR.

>people go MLOK because it's lighter and less bulk than rails. Anyone with a brain realizes mlok handguard has less material thus less durability overall than a full quad rail. I don't understand the animosity over stupid nothings?
Only a 1.5 meter dropped though. That's under manlet height, or chest/waist high.

t. BTFO Mlok fag
>more like if you drop your rifle from waist height, you'll miss the molehill by a mountain.

literally no one uses iron sights anymore

how is this even an issue

I still don't get what you're mad about, specifically. If it's a trollpost, it's a confusing one.

Attached: azzc.jpg (1553x684, 771K)

post your guns

Military uses IR LASERS mounted to rails.

>p-post ur guns
I don't have mlok FF if that's what you want to know. M4geries master race.

good thing im not in the military then

Midwest Industries rail? how do you like it?

sure nogunz

it's the Omega 2-piece.
It's pretty good if you just want a drop in that just removes the handguards. Pricey though.

>M-Mlok b-btfo
Literally not what this proves at all. Cry more neofudd.

>M4geries master race
LMAO @ poorfags

Does McDonalds make you work on Christmas Eve?

So doesn't this mean the military should just keep with their non free-floated handguards as they use rail mounted lasers for night fighting? Why bother with mlok handguards at all?

>Colt 6920 $850
>KAC RAS kit $150
>ACOG $850
>Surefire light $150
>LMT Sopmod stock $100
>KAC BUIS $70
Total = $2170
>p-poor fag
It's no KAC or HK, but it's not your PSA special either.

All this proves is that one specific example of one specific brand of 15in free-float rail exhibited this change in one army test.

It says exactly nothing about MLOK or FF handguards in general. At absolute best, it suggests that the military should consider a shorter rail. But way more testing needs to happen to prove anything either way. The neofudds are blowing this way out of proportion because they're desperate for anything approaching a win at this point.

Monolithic master race checking in.

Attached: 7157__89430.1504793429.jpg (960x279, 20K)

I can make things up too lol

dia from one of those idol shows

>Dat gas block sight
It doesn't look very study. The problem with monolithic is that if you damage your rail, you have to change the entire upper.

>just a measly $2k for the entire build
>not a poorfag
Lmao eggsdee

Attached: 44AB8240-5660-4E7B-9A3C-20E4DD683697.png (211x239, 5K)

>cuckime

Attached: 201t.png (1143x649, 1.7M)

>$2170 on an AR
>$0 on any cameras of sorts
sure thing buddy.

It was determined that the bend was caused by the gas block striking the underside of the rail there.

Attached: rLfOkpt.jpg (4032x1960, 2M)

XD I know right.
There's a limit to how much an m4gery can cost.

fuck off ATF

Alright dildo; if you can't fucking not bash your rifle into what's around you, you shouldn't be carrying one. The barrels in my unit are all free floated.

Did I hear someone say monolithic

Attached: Sig_MCX_Breakdown009.jpg (674x450, 200K)

The FSB along with a receiver mounted BUIS will not have this issue.

My nigga knows what's up.

tl;dr buy FF rails that aren't extended on an iron sighted AR.

Attached: SPACEBALLS the PMAG.png (2566x2532, 3.64M)

Nigger, you cannot have a rail attached to a barrel nut that will.be stronger than a forged and pinned FSB period.

Attached: 1540143860202.jpg (680x676, 75K)

Why would you be worried about the ATF? You have no guns for them confiscate in the first place.

If it's the GB that bent the rail, then that has major implications for all FF rails.

Correct. Now stop derailing thread.

never liked the looks of the rails that extend past the FSB, might as well just grind off the sight post and go full rail.

thread is about an idiot who doesn't even have guns pretending he does. It deserved derailment.

I'm not that user, but they didn't say anything like that. They said people were flipping shit to feel validated for having a standard non-gucci upper. Which is fine.

Only thing should be "de-railed" are guns with wobbly FF rails.

goddamn faunaposter

yes, thin skeletonized tubes of 6061-T6 aluminium are weak as hell. these "rails" are for grips, bipods, and lights, not lasers and sights. it's not hard to keep all your aiming equipment on the upper receiver.

as far as I'm concerned bendy handguards mean nothing. it's something for the gun to rest on that isn't the barrel. that's fucking it. it could be $500 of gucci or $70 shit without anti-rotation, it's a handguard for pete's sake.

Attached: 13b.jpg (1369x1183, 338K)

Only matters is you have the optic all the way on the fucking rail or lollipop, if you have glass on the upper then this means nothing.

>What are IR lasers
Idiot.

What Nigger uses them for anything other than CAS talk ons and very close fighting, if you're using them to shoot past 100m you're retarded.

10 MOA shift is almost a foot at 100 yards.

>tfw Colt 9640 master race

Huh, woodja look at that?
-full float handguard thet's short, quad rail, and monolithic with upper
-flip-up front buis that's an integral part of fsb that's pressed and pinned with tapered pins

Attached: hahahahafaggot.jpg (640x444, 16K)

Id never use the one on my m4 to fight past 30 yards even.

>civilians can't change barrel without sending back to factory
>can still mount M203 normally
That's pretty cool. vs LMT MRPs where you have to use ugly ass rail mounted 203s.

Good to know that you're retarded

Attached: Djt2L50U8AEztth.jpg (705x1000, 114K)

Yeah dawg I keep all my engagements within 25m so I can style on they' asses' with my sidearm.
They're always watching the killcams like 'naww!!'

Also sauce me on this please.

Attached: 6bf2b48f4759445659508d33946c87bd5155af21a5bcfee02818a0a850a0eb58.png (1140x551, 556K)

FO here, I don't fight unless I'm close period.

What if someone shoots at you from like 200m with their .22 user. You're already outgunned by accuracy alone.

Seriously though; where the fuck is this fantasy land where you have all these optics and tech just to fight exclusively at 30m... What do you guys do if you're too far? Shout 'timeout' and discuss the rules?

I don't know about you but I've never even been in a situation where I've "sighted mine in". Just get the PEQ and go.

I'm not trained to fight at 300m with my m4, I'm trained to fight at 4k with my vector and radio.

The level of intentional ignorance in this thread just to defend their point is absolutely absurd and a disgrace to human intelligence as a whole.