Gun cleaning general

Share your techniques for maintaining firearms. Anyone have a good method for soaking a rifle barrel?

Attached: D28F2A14-CEF1-483A-9651-B4A882C8F99C.jpg (576x768, 157K)

>put gun in vat of CPL
>take gun out
>take brushes and scrub
>dry off outside of gun
>let it sit
>wipe off again

Attached: 1522072543079.png (272x204, 71K)

My papas Ithaca X5 had a disgustingly filthy bore, I put it probably a dozen patches each soaked with hoppes 9, squeeze d them down to the chamber, then another dozen or so at various depths up to the muzzle, and another glob at the muzzle. Stored horizontally in a Rubbermaid bin to collect the solvent. Wipe off the solvent on exterior parts, it can take away bluing. Days later, pushed them all out. Then brushed with copper brush. The thing is perfectly smooth looking.

You might just need to run a few brand new brushes through it. Worn brushes won't scrap well.

Good luck. Don't use oversized patches or they will be a bitch to force out.

Barrel cleaning is the bane of my existence, it doesn't seem to matter how many god damn patches I put through it they always keep coming out dirty.

Attached: 1544857934499.gif (381x345, 566K)

Thanks fren

Yeah lm having trouble with this old mauser rifle right now. Ive run a million patches through it and l even clean off the rod too but its still dirty so l’ll probably soak it

Are you using a solvent? Are you using brushes?

Your dad never taught you or wtf?

Brush with a solvent, few patches, a patch with solvent, more patches, few patches with oil, more patches
Always keep coming out grey no matter how long I keep going.

ultrasonic cleaner is shit for cleaning brass but it does a damn good job with guns. half an hour bubling, than 10 minutes blown with a heatgun. then oiled all over. do that sometimes but not always.
>soaking a rifle barrel
i have seen some people use pieces of pipe 32" or so long capped on one end to fill with fluid for soaking barrel

Attached: IMG_0758.jpg (4272x2848, 3.3M)

Not him but man a lot of us are self taught. Having a dad isnt a luxury everyone has and lm not even black

i actually got my dad into guns. now he owns 3.

Barrel cleaning secret: Is it a custom hand lapped barrel? No? It's never clean. It's actually meant to be slightly dirty to fill in imperfections in the metal. What it's meant to be is clean enough. If accuracy has not degraded, it's clean enough. If accuracy has degraded, clean it. Or maybe you cleaned it too much.

Hmm. If it's like the color of your oil + a tiny hue of powder residue just call it a day. Even benchrest guys that are ultra autistic about every little detail just git r done. Too much cleaning is bad too, some guys scrape the rod on the muzzle.

balistol should pay hickok desu senpai

Attached: 1541022786818.webm (720x720, 2.41M)

Awesome dude. What 3 did he choose? I'm genuinely curious.

Attached: PHOTO-1-volquartsen_ultralite_gemtech_outback_aimpointT1_DSC7115hires-min-1024x456.jpg (1024x456, 50K)

Henry .22 lever as his first. the most basic. his second was another Henry .357 in all weather stainless, very nice, and the third another basic uberti .22 single action with the 6round cylinder. he is reading all these old cowboy novels and is getting the guns he likes from those. i think his next one is going to be a single action in .357 or .45lc

Sweet. My dad likes Western stuff too.

This tbhwy is why I prefer pistols and short barrel rifles.

Try a boresnake, user. It's like one long continuous patch.

Doesn't need to be soaked, just spray liberally with brakleen. Wipe, then ballistol.

Q tips brah

should l clean my bore snake?

Once they come out gray not black then you're fine.

I was going to buy a boresnake for my 20 in AR barrel because the cleaning rod is a PITA. How are they?

i got a 25 dollar amazon card what the best cleaning gear i can get for that?

Yes.

you best get the right thing or he will come down the chimney for you

Attached: hickock.jpg (531x931, 352K)

awesome. buy one for all your guns.

Do people actually clean their guns with solvent anymore? i havent done that to a single firearm in years, literally. Shit i dont even clean my AR anymore. boresnake that shit everyone once in a while and im g2g.

how?

then help me choose

Attached: 1545153016603.jpg (480x360, 7K)

I just drown my guns in CLP after shooting.

What gun are you cleaning?

well i have some wood and steel rifles and some pistols nothing really fancy

wrong answer nigger. here comes your stocking stuffer

Attached: hickock2.jpg (595x900, 379K)

BRING IT ON OLD MAN. I GOT AN ASSHOLE WIDER THAN THE MOUTH OF THE MISSISSIPPI.

Attached: AHGHGHGHG.png (614x588, 171K)

should l buy ballistol then?

Ballistol, bore snek, and a lint free wipe.

Do what suggessted. Maybe get linseed oil for your stocks? Can't really think of anything else.

BALLISTOL UP THAT GUN BOY

Attached: hickock 3.jpg (576x874, 361K)

MY BLOOD IS ALREADY CLP, BALLISTOL WILL DO NOTHING.

Attached: Untitled.png (383x394, 148K)

I personally just hand wash in soapy cold water and air dry.

washing machine

Reminder that automotive oil is a billion dollar industry, their oils face daily extreme use, extreme temperature variations, and using "gun oil" is selling yourself short. And automotive synthetics are absolutely the best lubricants and protectants on the planet

Attached: 61DdplH80oL._SL1000_.jpg (468x1000, 66K)

Whats an easy way to get brass off a bolt? I was told a copper solvent and let it soak, but that didn't do the trick. At least the hoppes brand one didn't

Attached: bad news.png (647x504, 769K)

Why are you soaking a rifle barrel, unless its BP.

>patch before brush
That's why it took so long idiot

Sweets 7.62 seems to take copper and brass of pretty well, but also elbow grease will do it.

> gun
> 3 gallons canister of ballistol
> half of my old t-shirt
> disassemble the gun
> ballistol in barrel
> ballistol in receiver
> ballistol on wood parts
> ballistol on face
> ballistol on dick
> jerk off
> take brass on stick
> PENETRATION
> take plastic on stick
> gentle penetration
> take bit of shirt
> wipe the barrel until it shines like kaleidoscope
> take bigger piece of t-shirt
> wipe insides
> wipe wood
> wipe my wood
> assemble gun back
> look at it
> jerk off again

Attached: 1545742279125.png (600x411, 380K)

Boresnakes are great for light use but worthless if theres any real buildup. You want both. Boresnake for convience. Rod and brushes when snake does nothing. Also rod is needed for stuck cases.

Yes. Put it in one of those bra bag thingys and put it through the washing machine and air dry it

Same. I can never get my SKS clean. I just don’t shoot corrosive through it anymore and pray that I got all the salt out of the grooves. The lands are squeaky clean at least

This. A bore snake is total shit if you want to clean a barrel to autistic levels of cleanliness - which I stopped doing a long time ago. It's just not worth the huge effort to clean them out squeaky clean more than maybe once a year tops.
I use them just for removing the obvious gunk after a shooting session.
If I want to clean a barrel thoroughly I use a wire brush and patches with solvents. I usually let the solvent sit in the barrel for a few minutes to even hours to do its job before I wipe it out and go for another round of brushing if necessary.

What ultrasonic do you use? I'm looking at getting one.

Anybody ever use ballistol to clean the outside of their barrel? I have a couple times and it seems to leave like a hell petroleum-like residue/film. Am I retarded?

Attached: Mindfuck+and+change+the+must+post+in+this+thread+to_9dccde_3114093.gif (500x450, 107K)

you are supposed to leave a thin film to protect the metal. especially for storage

don't do this. you're coating the inside of your washing machine with lead. it will wash out after a few loads but it will also get in your clothes.

There is nowhere near enough lead anywhere in the gun world (besides casting your own bullets) to cause harm.

Fuddlore

I run my brass through ultrasonic cleaners before reloading it, it works just fine and they come out shiny as fuck. They're not mint like wet tumbling with SS medias but good enough. Just add white vinegar and dishsoap in the mix and you're good to go.

Cabbage. Fuck you, picture.

Mine was apple get fucked retard

Hey, it's your IQ points. For now. But don't do this if you have kids or they will be literal niggers due to the brain damage.

t. indoor range owner

>what's so bad about 5 ng/dl? I have 10 ng/dl of lead in my blood and i'm fine. Back in the days of REAL gasoline we all had 15 ng/dl. Are people from back then so stupid they ruined the whole country? No, America is better than ever.

I usually just spray some CLP on a patch or two, follow up with a dry patch, then a lightly oiled patch and call it a day. I don't use brushes. Sometimes I'll use a bore snake if I'm feeling particularly lazy. Everything else gets a wipe down and a bit of oil.

Barrels don't have to be perfectly clean and you'll never get a patch to come out perfectly white after shooting, and overcleaning to do so is detrimental to the barrel itself.

>shoot guns 6 times a year
>can go 2 or 3 years without cleaning them
>even then its just solvent, rag through the barrel, hot water and rag, then some WD 40 for rust protection

really cleaning guns is more of a gun fetish ritual that we all perform
guns dont need to be clean
they are dirty girls

> t. 1488 MOA

I get tested for saturnism every year per my work regulations, I mention that I shoot a lot and they generally laugh it off because it's so insignificant compared to the chemicals I work with. Unless you shoot several times a week inside a non-ventilated bunker you'll be fine.

Ive noticed carbon building up on the wall between the firing pin and bolt where the gas system blasts into the BCG. Should I worry about getting it out of there?

Gun cleaning is why I don't own any semi-auto .22lr guns. Fuck this caliber for being so dirty.

Eggplant

>Never actually shoots his guns
>"guns totally don't need to be cleaned bro"

>bought a 10/22 with some aftermarket tacticool stock
>can clean out barrel and chamber well enough, but a bit of a pain
>dont wanna take it apart since i dont know how to put it together
i know theres gunk somewhere i cant get to, but im just not in the mood to lose pieces and try reassembling.

Attached: please stop trying to get me killed.jpg (780x438, 52K)

I hope you guys don't use boresnakes to clean precision rifles. Actually never use any brush to clean precision rifles' barrels.

The fuck are you supposed to use then?

run a solventy brush through, run one of these bad boys through, run 2 or 3 solventy patches through, run 2 or 3 dry patches through, barrel complete.

Attached: squeg.jpg (425x242, 18K)

Parker Hale one-piece freely rotating rod (or similar) + bore guide + wet patches

Just about all 10/22s are one screw and 3 pins to take apart. The screw in front of the Maxwell, put the safety halfway between safe/fire, and pull out. Push out 2 small pins on bottom of reciever to separate trigger assembly. Remove large pin in rear to remove bolt. Done. Redo in inverse order to reassemble.

Do you ever have problems with flash rusting when you use the heat gun?

>can't follow a guide on assembly for his own gun
>being this lazy and retarded
Wowzers

Get some birchwood Casey gun cleaning patches. Legit the best patches you can use.

Attached: s-l225.jpg (225x169, 10K)

after i move and everything, ill try to figure out what stock i have and see if theres a youtube vid on it. im not proud, i just dont want to learn something new

Attached: 1500237566254.jpg (497x395, 46K)

Is it this?

Attached: IMG_7006.jpg (2800x1311, 144K)

Anyone have any experience with hot bluing via a torch and a vat of oil?

My WASR has a bad case of the sticky bolt and I need to file down the top of the hammer. Thought I would give bluing a try since I've never done it before.

Also what do you gentlemen use to treat your wood furniture?

RP HMX is the shit.

I think a lot of people go full retarded on using different solvents and Gucci lubes.

I literally only use 99% isopropyl as a solvent and hoppes gun oil on all my guns. no smells, cheap, and I don't worry about getting either on my hands. you do that after every session and you are gtg.

Always learn user. Always learn.
I watch YouTube vidsfor takedown of anything I may buy and if I do buy it, if there's a non shit physical manual I buy it too eventually for quick reference.
You'll learn a lot and it's hard to forget when you go back to pickup the rifle again

Do you retards not use a bore snake? Who the fuck uses patches anymore? Let alone not clean their gun to the point you actually need a rod and brush

I don't see anything wrong with patches and they're more thorough so I use patches. No reason to waste cash on a string

Hoppes #9 solvent to clean
Copper Brush
Cotton swab brush
Paper patch
Hoppes gun oil to protect

>Share your techniques for maintaining firearms
>Barrel cleaning is the bane of my existence
>Ive run a million patches through it and l even clean off the rod too but its still dirty

OK, so, poor fag way to clean a filthy bore that works

you will need
1- cheap .22 brush that you don't mind if its messed up and a simple cleaning rod
2- some cheap scratchy paper towels
3- solvent (hops9 is cheap and works) (for cheaper go for ammonia)
4- oil (cheap gun oil) (almost any thin oil that will not evaporate)

make shure bore is not blocked and use rod with out brush or anything to push out any big clumps of whatever so you have only a dirty bore and not a blocked one
cut/rip the paper towels into 1 inch wide strips that are very long
wrap the strips around the brush till a little bit bigger then the bore, make sure to wrap it a little like a candy cane so you have a little like a cone and not a flat tiny TP roll to make it easier to push thru bore
take paper/ brush thing and dunk it / soak it in solvent
put in barrel push from breach, it will be a little tight but not so much as to make it hard to push
once paper/ brush is out remove from rod do not pull it back in with paper still on end as it will just pull the gunk back in the bore
remove dirty paper from brush and replace with clean and more solvent
repeat several times
then push from the muzzle several times
repeat till paper comes out clean
then wrap paper same as before but with no solvent and push thru, repeat til paper is dry
then do the same with paper and oil as you did with solvent, you only need to push oil thru once or twice
for really pitted rusty bores use some wd40 between solvent pushes and a little grease and not just oil to fill in the pits when oiling at the end

this will clean ANY bore no matter how bad it is , and its cheap

Attached: chemistry-lab-equipment1.jpg (600x521, 65K)

bump

Attached: 617a8088_7048_8da60.jpg (780x271, 71K)

This has to be bait

I had a baby boy like that. He got sick after my mom died and I had to give him away after thousands in bills. They hooked him up with tubes and shit just like my mom. Sometimes I forget his name because I've buried everything about that time so deep I forget I even lived it. Sometimes I'll be in the checkout line and see something that brings me back and I have to tell the teenage girl: "yes, I found everything I needed".

Forgot the pic of the dumb fucker. Hug your mom you faggots.

Attached: Yep.jpg (5312x2988, 2.22M)

Yoo why he dabbin tho?

Cause he was a cool little faggot even for 2014

Anyone use Mobil-1 or any other synthetic oil for lubing? If so can you please share your experience?

Attached: mobil-1-synthetic-oil.png (222x400, 89K)

Yup. Moble 1 and marvels Miracle oil user here.

What kind of rags do you guys use?

Attached: 1533681304947.jpg (480x452, 56K)

I use torn up work shirts from my previous job
They provided lots of them

Microfiber cloths, only problem is I can never get the fouling stains out so I need to keep buying more

what the fuck

Attached: 1540396569002.jpg (750x731, 229K)

Bore snake packages literally tell you to do this retard. It would be illegal if it was this dangerous

eggplant