Want to buy pic related and pretend to be a cowboy for the rest of my life

>want to buy pic related and pretend to be a cowboy for the rest of my life
>find out Marlin is since recent years owned by Remington
Does anyone have a lot of experience with modern Marlin firearms? If they have Remington's trash quality control and all the rust issues that would be a damn shame. Is it possible they've maintained their quality?

Attached: 4570.jpg (1000x215, 26K)

Remington having trash quality control in its current form is a meme for stupid gay retard faggots.

how much did rustington pay you to post this?

Attached: 97859EB9-0D11-4366-ABB0-C101CA443562.png (500x522, 129K)

Whoa, bud, whoa. That's just what I hear from everyone that talks about Remingtons. Calm down pussy.

Just buy a Henry

>B-BUT MUH LOADING GATE
Stop being a faggot

Attached: downloadfile-50.jpg (600x361, 77K)

t. remington

A loading gate is superior in every way. Stop coping

Current production Marlins are fine. i bought a 336bl in may of this year, no issues, no rust. If you're really worried about it, buy in person and not online so you can examine it first.

I own a marlin 336ss and a blued out 1894 45-70 and they both run great

Who cares? If you don't trust the new ones, buy an old one. Problem solved.

>t. Nigger

I bought a Marlin xt 22 earlier this year and it's been great. Had a buddy buy the same gun a few months later and it's also fine. I have a pretty Remington 336 and I love it. It's more about the cool factor of a lever action than any practical use, but still fun

You must be new.
Marlin has been fine since the second half of 2014.

Meant a pre Remington 336.

Of Henry would have added a loading gate in 2010 when Marlins actually started sucking. Henry would be the to top dog of levergats.
As it stands they are only above rossi kek

The Henrys look great but I realized I could have my rifle and my revolver both in stainless with checkered wood grips and my boner blasted out of my pants and broke my desk.

Attached: 4570.jpg (1001x541, 78K)

Heneys are trash anyways.

That may be. The loading gate seems too good to fuck with that tube reload system.

Can’t speak much for long term, but I love my 336. Action is clean and quick, my journeyman has had the same gun for 10 years and says it’s his favorite. I’d say buy, but supplement it with a .22 so you can take care of vermin on yer farm pardner.

get a used older one, they're better made and will be cheaper

Suckered up and bought a blued 1895 this fall. Works alright so far. Buy in person, and you should be fine.

I feel like I can contribute to this thread because I did alot of research into this issue, and also a new marlin.

Long story short, I bought a marlin 94cs in 357/38 last month. Not sure when it was made, but probably late this year (so new production).

It's amazing. Good fit/finish. Good wood to metal fit. Straight sights. Good wood. Cycles 100%.

Only problem was with loading shells. The rims were getting caught up on the opening of the mag tube. Gun shop clerk said "yeah all Marlins do that". I doubt that. Anyways, I pulled the mag tube and did light dremel work on the left side opening and it loads fine now. Also, it shot low out of the box, so the rear sight had to be raised all the way up to get zero. Windage was perfect. Beside those things, I'm happy with it. It's my first marlin, and Is actually my favorite rifle I own desu (and I own some really expensive rifles).

Anyways, a little reading on marlin owners forum goes a long way.

The new guns have deeper, better blueing than JMs. They also are made on excellent tooling.

Go for it man.

Attached: 20181220_225106.jpg (3024x4032, 2.99M)

Attached: 7114C42B-9CC3-442D-BDB6-E1F38AA7AF35.jpg (1200x641, 122K)

Marlin didn't go to shit like Remington did. The factory moved, and the old farts with specs in their minds running warn out tooling calibrated just so all had to be replaced. Once production came up to a professional level, QC has been fine.

To be honest it took them way longer then it should have, 4 years or so to start shipping decent guns, and the guns in that time were so horrible, warped barrels, barrels with multiple dovetails cut into them, reciever all fucked, but it's been several almost 5 years since that was an issue.

Recently bought a Marlin 1894 and shit it for the first time yesterday. Gotta say I was really impressed with the accuracy, sights were dead on out of box. Action is a little rough but it seems to be loosening up. Overall it's a very nice guy and would assume the same for their other models

Why are you shitting it!?
Kek.
I got one new right before Remington bought them, the action took some break in, it would even lock up in the open position sometimes, I think the bot was catching on the extractor, either way after 100-150 rounds it never happened again, the sights are dead on, I live those modified buckhorn, they work very well.

The new maple wood 336 makes my wiener feel funny, and I'm thinking about getting one.

t. not a Remington shill

Attached: 70527-curly-maple_1200px.png (1200x450, 168K)

That maple does look good

I bought an 1895G at the worst possible time, after they ran out of old Marlin inventory, and before news of QC disasters were widespread. That said, it looks good, shoots good, and shows none of the flaws or QC fails that seem to have been common in that time frame.

That said, forget .45-70 lever guns, just get a pump 12 gauge; they're preferable in almost every way.

>Only problem was with loading shells. The rims were getting caught up on the opening of the mag tube. Gun shop clerk said "yeah all Marlins do that". I doubt that
From what I've heard it has more to do with .357 being a long skinny cartridge and that making it a bit awkward - not sure if it's really related to the manufacturer or fine details of the design nearly as much as the choice of caliber and the realities of a tube mag's necessary dimensions and layout.

>2018
>buying leverguns

Fudds pls go

>you don't get to enjoy things that I don't like
You have to be 18 to post here

That's fucking beautiful. Would try to autistically match a revolver to.

t. OP

I wonder if hand carving a stock is hard.
I got a lot of vine maple around.

>2018
>doesn't want to pretend to be a cowboy
>possibly also thinks you can only buy practical guns
I already have my Glock and my AR, once you get to that point you can buy only ammo forever or you can keep going and buy outdated impractical shit people don't actually need based on your favorite aesthetic ie. 1911s, AKs, and cowboy stuff. You know, for fun.

Levergats are fun, stay quiet child.

Leverguns can be practical too though

They make great hunting rifles, and while they're not made for self-defense against people, they can be used for that if needed

I have a 2009 39A and it's giving me grief.
I'd honeslty look at a Winchester 94 (made currently by Miroku in Japan) or a Winchester 1892. All my Winchester guns are beautiful and smooth.

Tbh I shot a .357 Rossi 92 clone and it was super easy to shoot and I didn't miss a beat with it. Would definitely take it out if I had nothing else and wouldn't complain one bit.

You'll also look like a larping faggot walking through the woods with an AR15

they don't make great anything rifles. the actions are weak and unreliable, the ammo normally underperforming and overpriced (inb4 muh spiral mag that scuffs up softpoint hunting ammo), and cycling them takes a bit more practice than a bolt action. they're also almost universally less accurate unless you spend the big bucks. yeah, 30-30 has killed so many deer. so has the fucking atlatl.

>showing off your ignorance and underageness

Everyone knows Model 94s are Masterrace OP

Attached: IMG954158.jpg (360x480, 34K)

>t. Faggot who cries internally whenever he has to load from a tube like a sissy girl

Sorry you couldn't afford a real lever gun sissy girl

Attached: 1484230738482.jpg (855x398, 53K)

What's the better .30-30, the Winchester 94 or the Marlin 336?

Yeah let us know when your plastic ar-whateverthefuck has a 3300 yard lethal range and maybe then I'll start to care

Attached: 19088720_3.jpg (1024x707, 37K)

>2018
>enjoying things

>has a 3300 yard lethal range

I dunno man

My first gun ever that my Dad got to me was last year of Marlin production before Remington acquisition, thereafter the lever guns we’re known as Remlins.
I think it’s like 2008 or 2009, it’s a
.44 magnum 1894 and it is so smooth and so damn accurate, only shoot it every so often and can drive tacks at 25 yards and cloverleaf at 50 yards no problem.
If you can get a pre-2008 marlin go for it otherwise don’t get a marlin.
Look for
1) “Manufactured in New Haven Connecticut
2) “JM” stamp; indicating it wasn’t built by the Marlin company Pre-Remington acquisition.
The JM stamp will be on the right side of the barrel near the reciever- with 2008 to some 2009 production it may look a little sloppy as they were churning out as many as they could before the transfer to Remington

The closer the date is to the acquisition (2009) there is a chance that barrels and receivers built by the marlin crew were transferred over to Remington for assembly, but not so so likely.

Serial number wise got for 92XXXXX, 93XXXXX and higher, which correspond to 2008, 2007, etc as the first two numbers you do ex: 100-92 = 08 (year)

Just my two cents, and pic isnt mine but gives example of barrel manufacture roll-stamp

Attached: BF16FBCB-663A-4838-8096-860287658847.jpg (640x427, 53K)

JM stamp means it WAS built by marlin company* wanted to clarify/correct

You're right. It's 3500 yards for the 45-70-500
"While the effective range of the .45-70 on individual targets was limited to about 1,000 yards (915 m) with either load, the heavier bullet would produce lethal injuries at 3,500 yards (3,200 m). At those ranges, the bullets struck point-first at a roughly 30 degree angle, penetrating three 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick oak boards, and then traveling to a depth of 8 inches (20 cm) into the sand of the Sandy Hook beach"

Get what you want. I personally like the stock on the winchester better. Nothing wrong with the 336, plus if youre buying brand new, a 336 is like 400 compared to 1200 for a new model 94, I bought my Winchester model 94 off armslist for 450 with the peep sight

Henry's are fantastic rifles and the only real complaint anyone has is the lack of a loading gate. I doubt you've ever shot one.

Also the sights suck, it's annoyingly front heavy and the trigger isn't great
t. former henry big boy steel carbine owner

I haven't had trigger issues, I'm not sure what you're standard of a heavy trigger is.
The sights are fine, some people don't like buckhorn sights but that's a personal preference. Weight I'll give you, but I like a rifle that doesn't feel delicate in the hand.

You poor sweet retarded child. At least your nurse let you have internet for the holidays.

Attached: 1542021915660.gif (245x150, 1.08M)

>all Marlins do that
>I doubt that.
Yeah, they really do. I have two JMs from the 90's, a 218 bee and a 357, both do it. Thin the spring or gate a bit to add some clearance.

>inaccurate
I can hit a shot from 200 yards with iron sights, let alone the scope. It’s just you who’s a shit shot
>overpriced ammo
Bolt action 30-06 costs a dollar less to a lever action 30-30 as far as ammunition goes
>takes more practice to cycle
You really showed your retardation and underageness here
Also there’s lever actions that have been passed down generations that have survived the test of time. Fuck off you retarded nigger.

Agree.

Mother fuck.....

Enjoy your glorified .22 mag ar15, homo. Lets see those groups boy.

I have a new Marlin 336. It took a Dremel with a polishing wheel and metal polish to get the action smooth. Other than that I have no complaints.

Traded my 336SS for a PTR, very happy

Ive git a 336, its fine but old ones were smoother. The magazine spring coukd well be a suspension spring from s humvee by the feel

Attached: 1536200859173.png (431x846, 73K)

>old ones were smoother
Your will be too after a few years of use. Marlins have never been smooth out of the box, they were always cheaper than winnies for a reason.

I don’t see a problem in having both. I love my lever action for hunting, but I also need a gun in a shtf situation. God knows the PTR isn’t gonna be my first choice though.

>cope

Attached: dogdrooling.png (664x520, 177K)

Attached: virgin ar vs chad levergun.png (818x960, 444K)

I prefer the 94 for asthetic reasons, but the 336 is a little more rugged and easier to clean. I want a 336 texan but they are hard to find in canada

>200" drop at 500 meters
>Lethal range is 3200 meters

Ask me how I know you live in a basement and think raw numbers are equitable to real life situations

Is that just because the 336 allows easier mounting of optics, or is it just a more solid design overall?

ease of mounting optics is one reason I bought mine.

I dont do optics on leverguns, my 94 reliably does pic related with 200gr cast bullets and a peep sight at 50 yards from a bench. that was the worst group in a string of 5, 3 shot groups. The best was .725
the 336 is a little smoother cycling, some claim more accurate (depends on rifle and shooter more than the rifles themselves imo)
The 336 action is a more robust design but the 94 carries and points a little better for me, but some find the 336 more comfortable, its really going to be 99% personal preferance.

Attached: 20181218_134647.jpg (4032x1960, 1.87M)

Oh, a lever thread.

I am about to piss some folks off here with my idea.

I am a bored tinkerer and since I no longer work on guns for a living, am dying for a project.

I am going to buy a Mossberg 464, clean it up and get it running good, refinish the wood and somehow brass the receiver and get sort of a '94 Golden Spike/66 look going. I got a pretty handy gift card I'm looking to burn, so not much out of pocket.

Thoughts?

Arent the 464s the tacticool ones? If they made those in 357 mag id buy one.

They have a tactical version but that's stupid. They have a normal one just modeled off of the 94.

Bumping for ya, OP. Rather have a lever thread than the 99th Glock/AR/Mossberg or bait thread of the day.

Toyota Camry vs Honda Accord

Depends on intended use. If you're wanting a lever for the aesthetic and cowboy feel while maintaining good utility, '94 and guns patterned after it. If you want a dirty whore to run like a raped ape and not feel bad about, Marlin.

Not sure what your point is here. That you couldn't hit a target that far out? They very clearly did. Or perhaps that a hit like that wouldn't be lethal?

So tell us how that .223 varmint gun is treating ya. Take down any elk, moose, or even grizzly? Maybe some elephant? Or is that just what those "weak" lever actions can do?

I don't think he said they were weak. You have to remember that most of this board doesn't hunt and that they only want fighting guns. The AR or any semi auto with a capacity of 20+ rounds is technically a superior "fighting" rifle and the current standard. And it's wise, as an American standing ready to defend the land we love, to have one. That said, what folk forget is that the most likely scenario in which we might find ourselves firing a shot in anger would be one of self defense, in which case most any repeating weapon, especially centerfire will do about the same job.

From >they don't make great anything rifles. the actions are weak and unreliable, the ammo normally underperforming and overpriced

I believe that qualifies as saying they're weak

>I like a rifle that doesn't feel delicate in the hand
That's some next level cope my dude

>30-06
Probably not a great comparison considering 30-06 is known to be over priced and underperforming

I think he meant it's not reasonable to expect a 3500 yard effective range with a bullet that rainbows at 300 yards. Your barrel will start to obscure shots before 1000 even, I imagine. Where did you get those numbers from anyway?

Do it OP

Attached: 0806D678-67F5-4B03-8AE7-A7F22FCE89BF.jpg (1178x1280, 759K)

He's saying that the actions aren't as strong on most lever guns as they are on bolt guns or robustly build semis. That may be true because of pressure tolerances and differences between typical levergun rounds and rounds for other rifle types, but I don't personally know.

Omg, you mean you can have BOTH?

Winchester or nothing, none of the others come close to having the same quality.
American Ingenuity handcrafted from Nippon Steel (folded over 1000 times), by strict, hardworking, Nippon citizens who care about the quality of their product unlike the nigger floor workers at remington and henry

So, uh... Where's Winchesters's 45-70 offering?

budsgunshop has some for 1100

I actually didn't know they still made original 86's, thanks.

That said, x2 the price for something that's gonna get abused like a 19 y/o Blonde in Panama City?

I looked at a Marlin a while back, finish wasn't particularly great, wood fit wasn't either. I think the key problem with Marlin is the price. A 336 is $400 average, for that price it's fine. Yes, the .30-30 is in less demand, as well as the 357 model being re-introduced recently once they figured out the design and tooling again after the move from the old Marlin plant, however it's still like $100 too much considering a henry is like $650.
I'd probably just get a winchester because 20" 357 92's are like low mid $800's when in stock. I want a 16" trapper but good fucking luck, rossi's haven been in country for years, henry's don't have king's patent loading gates, winchester says they are out of production right now, only super deluxe takedowns that cost $1800 are available (probably do a run eventually I imagine, though I don't know how Winchester does things.

an extra $200 or $300 isn't really relevant, of course it's more money, but realistically speaking, go look at some auction houses and see how many late 1880's winchesters are still around, then recall that the miroku guns are said to be better than the originals.
Is $300 more for a durable good that will last centuries really that expensive?

Which model is that?

1895GS

Is there a similarly sized stainless gun in .44 mag?

Current Marlins are fine, make sure they are brand-the-fuck-new and not some 3 year old wall hanger that never sold.

If you've got big dick money I suggest current production Winchesters, they are of excellent quality.

>Weak and unreliable action
Stopped reading there.

Attached: 1542591898378.jpg (960x945, 61K)