Jow Forums im interested in getting into bow hunting but instead of a compound bow i was thinking about going with a...

Jow Forums im interested in getting into bow hunting but instead of a compound bow i was thinking about going with a recurve

Disadvantages
>much harder
>shorter effective range
>will require a lot of practice

Am I being a retarded hipster? Should I just get a compound bow instead?

Attached: recurve-bow-spark.jpg.png (458x458, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_poisoning
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Nah, I’d you get good with a recurve and SHTF you’ll be able to feed your kids for a lot longer than most fags with a .22 dying from protein poisoning. Even if you break it they’re easy to make and arrows are even easier.

Most trad bow hunters use it as their excuse for never getting anything.

have u ever shot one?

>shorter effective range
like complaining that your rifles effective range is 1000m instead of 1500m
honestly unless you're looking to minmax recurves are overall more fun, cheaper, less likely to blow up in your hand

Get a good stave of yew, carve yourself a longbow, and find a Frenchman.

Just ordered the samick sage recurve bow for my roomate, 130 bills on Amazon. From the research I've done, it takes a while to learn how to shoot well, but easy to work your way up to using a bow for hunting. Compounds will make it easier to learn, but are more expensive.

Currently practicing with my 40# takedown ragim impala, would recommend

The real disadvantage with a recurve is that you can't keep it drawn unlike a compound but you will probably learn to shoot faster

>dying from protein poisoning
What? Like prions? How will an arrow prevent you from getting CWD? Also, in a SHTF-scenario, trapping would be the wise thing to do.
I'm by no means an expert, but if you intend to go hunting with a recurve, you better practice a lot first. Getting a recurve also requires you to know how long the limbs should be based on your own height, whether you want to use the shelf or an arrow rest, how to silence the string, what type of string to use, etc. It's much easier to learn how to use a compound, so if you want to go hunting soon, go for a compound. There's a reason most hunters prefer these. And there's no logical reason as to why you can't switch to a recurve later (it'll take some time practicing, but by then you will at least know the basics of hunting, all that lacks are the traditional archery skills and support musculature). Don't think about range. All bow hunting is pretty close range anyways.

Are you implying that a .22 cant kill deer and elk? Are you alsoninolying that deer and elk are fatty enough to keep protien starvation away? Because you're strong in both regards

He is an idiot, I mention it above, but protien starvation is how humans ca t survive entirely on protien, there has to be fat or carbs along it.
Say you're living in the wild, burning 3000 c/day, as long as you eat more then that in calories you will live, but if the majority of those calories are from protien, you could eat an infinite amount of protien and still starve to death, since your body cant use protien directly for energy like it can fat and carbs, theres a process called gluconeogenesis, which converts protien into a usable carb, but it's to inneficent to solely survive from, and if it's the sole form of food intake, can cause protien poisoning because too much byproducts of gluconeogenesis are hard on your kidneys, and can increase urea/ammonia in your blood to dangerous levels.
Anyways, no wild game muscle meat has enough fat for humans to survive on, if you're living off the land, and cant access carbs, then you have to eat all the organs, the brain, spinal cord, eyes, marrow And you should eat the skin as well.

its an illness you get from eating meat with little to no fat
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_poisoning

Wrong* not strong.
Just woke up for krampus day.

he's implying someone with a .22LR would die from a lack of fat/carbs, if your diet is only composed of lean game like jackrabbits you'll eventually eat away your own muscle as your body shifts metabolic focus towards breaking down proteins, I recall when the adkins diet was big some folks had heart attacks trying to live off of protein shakes, the body can't pool amino acids for very long so a lot of enzymes means you'll start to eat muscle when you're physically active, and the heart is a big muscle that needs constant fuel

You could probably get away with dried fish and whatever edible plants you come by long term, kinda like early American explorers, otherwise protein is a good way to stretch out rations that are primarily carbs/fat

So they can be fun, but for hunting you kinda wanna edge all your bets, in my state, how the rules are, that's a compound bow, because bow sure season is twice as long as the rifle season, and encompasses the rut, and does are allowed [rifle is buck only] and the bow elk season is 4x as long [4 weeks Instead of rifles 1 week] and is in ells pre rut, but within the bow seasons I want as good of a chance as possible, with the same amount of dedication and practice, a compound will shoot 2x as far as a recurve ethically, will shoot note accurately, and bring the animal down quicker.
But do whatever the fuck you want. Traditional archery is fun.

He is implying that big game has enough fat to keep protien starvation away, which is wrong unless you eat all the organs, eyes, brain, marrow, skin, boil the hooves, eat the spinal cord, use as much of the blood as you can.
Sand he is implying a .22 cant kill large game, which is also wrong.

Oh. And if you kill herbivores, you need to eat the stomach, contents and all.[to survive solely off animal sources]

Thanks for the replies. I guess few serious survivalist would just eat the meat off whatever game they just caught. You harvest whatever you can, and make pemmican and whatever. Also, eat that brain, my dude. Goat and sheep brains are good shit, and fairly nutritional. And, of course, a true survivalist would not depend entirely on hunting, that would result in a fairly limited nutritional intake, and way too active lifestyle thus exposing yourself too much to the elements. I mean, one ought to fish and harvest berries, nuts, eggs, herbs, honey, syrup etc. in addition to hunting.

bumping for more responses
you guys are helpful

10/10

If you go compound you might as well go all the way and get a crossbow. It is not really "sporting" anymore at that level of tech anyway, but the superior precision of the crossbow means much less chance of a miss and less suffering for the animal. I have a TenPoint Turbo GT and that thing is insane, it can put an arrow on a quarter at 25 yards. I also have a Wild Mountain Etna one-piece recurve and instinctive shooting is fun, but I would only use it for hunting as a last resort. Killing cleanly should take precedence over my enjoyment.

I'm in the same boat. The fact that compound bows are 800 bucks used, and a recurve is 200 new is a big factor.

>Am I being a retarded hipster? Should I just get a compound bow instead?
Yes and no. Most of the faggots I meet that shoot recurves are hipsters who only do it to LARP. Since you're interested in hunting with it you don't fall into this category. The First step is to finds a good archery shop and talk to the bowsmith. You're going to have more questions when you get the bow. I would start with a compound then move to traditional archery, I have a couple friends that have done this after decades of bowhunting with compounds. Compounds are much more forgiving for beginners and it is much easier to learn the fundamentals with. If you have good form and understand the importance of grip, spine alignment, back tension, and follow through it'll make shooting a recurve much easier. Don't listen to because no ammount of tech is going to make up for your fucked up fundamentals.

You can pick a decent compound bow up for 450 that will serve your needs well. Diamond SB-1s are fantastic bows that won't break the bank and shoot well. First thing you should invest in is a stabilizer, the dinky ones you see some guys with are useless. Get your arrows cut and have the bow fitted. Both of these make a huge difference.

However, what recurves are fantastic for is snap shooting. You'll have to become as good as Fred Bear to do this well but it can be done. You can be much quicker on the draw with a recurve than a compound. If you only have a limited opportunity to take a shot on a deer, let say you're still hunting a swamp or dense brush, you'll be able do it faster with a recurve. When it comes to long range shooting, the compound is king. Unless you're a world class archer you're not going to have an effective range beyond 40 yards with a recurve, and that's pushing it. I personally don't shoot at anything beyond 40 but If I have too and the conditions are right I can.

Just have fun with it, it'll be frustrating at first but you'll get better.

Nah user. I shoot a light recurve all the time, it's fun as hell and super cheap. It or an air pistol are the best way to sneak in some shooting sport without having to travel to the range or own property. Just be careful, setup a backstop, and shoot in your yard.

If you want something effective for hunting that's easy to learn and use (and to bypass gun hunting limits), definitely get a compound.
If you want to seriously get into archery as a hobby and you're okay with practicing a lot, get a recurve.