Can the Luty SMG design be improved upon by modern technology?

Can the Luty SMG design be improved upon by modern technology?
Hard mode: no 3d printing

Attached: 1521743531252.jpg (1096x637, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thehomegunsmith.com/pdf/Expedient-Homemade-Firearms-Vol-II-PA-Luty.pdf
grabcad.com/library/9-mm-luger-smg-glock-17-mag-1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

3d printing would be the thing that wocould help alot. With a anet a8 we could print any furniture mags and non load bearing components and make it more ergonomic

A stock and a good grip for your hands.

His bsp model showsore promise.

CNC would make it easier but not better. Submachine guns r simple.

The main improvements needed would be rifling, a stock, sights, and a reduced rate of fire. I don't think modern tech is essential for any of those, but like said, it could speed production.

It's a very clever design- has anyone ever built the BSP?

Attached: bspbg2.png (1287x809, 181K)

>good grip
just duct-tape it
>stock
duct-tape a stick to the back and wrap it in an old t-shirt which you attach with more duct-tape
Which one? I only find the "semi-auto BSP". Is it "9mmPistol.pdf"?
Yeah, but that's the important aspect.
With a CNC machine and a 3d printer, what would still be impossible to make?

Of course it can, but that completely misses the point of it.

I mean become easier to make, like 3d-printing some of the parts.

3d printers are toys. Forget about them. Submachine guns haven't been improved because they didn't need to be. Simple=good. Thats why luty didn't draw up a roller delayed pdw, because submachine guns have as few as 2 moving parts, they're iminently buildable by the average joe, simple almost as zip guns. The only way modern technology would help would be in dispersing the 3d cad files/g code needed to machine one with hobby grade tooling. The cheapest CNC router setup could be used to machine steel if you run it conservatively enough. This wouldn't improve the gun, but allow people to be up and running quicker and skip a lot of development.

>3d printers are toys. Forget about them.
Non-essential parts like grips, magwell, stock can be made from them. It makes manufacturing much faster.
>they're iminently buildable by the average joe, simple almost as zip guns
>Electric Drill or Drill Press
>Drill Bits 1.5 to 9mm diameter
>Hacksaw
>Large Files, Round, Half Round and Flat
>Angle Grinder
>Bench Grinder
>Hammer
>Set square
>14.2 mm (9/16) Taper Pin Reamer
>Taper Cutting Tool
>Countersink Tool
>Large Vice

Do most people have all of these lying around?

Most people have most of those lying around, it really wouldn't be too hard for them to get the required tools anyway

Of course, but it's still missing the point a bit.

If you don't have those tools you're literally a failure as a man. Minus the taper pin bullshit you threw in for no reason

yes if you have a penis

based

Attached: 1530766150162.jpg (640x480, 165K)

Seriously. I had that shit when I was 15, you can get all that for under 200 bucks of allowance money on a good sale weekend

Angle grinder? Bench grinder? Taper pin reamer? Taper cutting tool?
Really?

I also have a tig welder, stick welder, 20 ton press, all basic mechanic tools, air tools, full sets of reamers, taps, dies and various other tools a whole shop full. I have a penis and fix stuff for a career.

Gee, a vertical STEN gun, how do we make it better? The STEN was a POS

Are their paper template s for any of these smgs out there?

If you don't have an angle grinder and bench grinder it means you didn't go through a knife making phase, and you're still basically a total faggot know-nothing child.

Tapered pins (and their respective reamers) are entirely uneccesary to the luty design. Regular spring pins or screws would work fine.

Angle grinder is one of the most versatile tools there is, that's why they're often included in a combo set with a drill and rattle gun. Bench grinder is more of a shop tool, but if you have any sort of working space for wood or metal, you'd have one.

The taper shit, it really depends, but they're not actually necessary, but on the other hand they'll often show up in those bulk lots of old hand tools some guy is selling for $5 because he's trying to clean up his father's shed after he died
>along with three wood planes, an incomplete tap and die set, seventeen old files, and a mismatched bunch of screwdrivers

Yeah we can chamber it in 5.7.

I suspect they're using the small end of the taper pin reamer to ream a 9mm chamber or some such, not actually using taper pins.

Yeah.....id say most men would have those lying around. And if you're intent on making your own machine gun you'd probably have a whole lot more than that laying around too

Could this old design be improvised with modern technology?
Hard mode: No suggestions depending on the most significant leap in modern technology.
Silly requirements.

I had most of those tools by the time I was 13 and I live in a shit-tier armpit of Europe.

Ok, I got one. Electrochemical rifling. Of course, you need a 3d printer for this, but whatever. Now put on an airsoft AR-stock and grip, and you got yourself a decent carbine.

You wouldn't need a 3D printer to do it.

You could technically just carve the rifling pattern into a plastic rod by hand.
It would be pretty fucking ghetto, but it would be far better than a mere smooth bore.

Lol, I guess you could!

How hard would it be to do the rifiling by hand or with a drill press/milling machine?

You can make up a jig for cutting rifling, check youtube. Not too difficult.

A lathe would be a more appropriate tool as it would allow for a far better centered bore in the barrel.

Never the less you can make a serviceable barrel using a drill press.

Step 1: is obviously to pick a piece of steel rod to serve as the barrel.
Step 2: is to bore it diameter, use a regular twist drill to drill it to 8.5mm, use a reamer to bring it up to 8.8 - 8.9mm, cheap Chinese reamers are available on ebay, those are good enough
Step 3: make a rifling button, hack the shank off a 9mm HSS drill bit, use a sharpie to mark inverted rifling onto it (rifling specs are available online) and remove the excess material from the button with a dremel tool
Step 4: liberally grease the rifling button and push it through the bore with a hydraulic press or a large vice, alternatively just drive it though the bore with a hammer
Step 5: ream a chamber, commercial reamers are the best but they're expensive. An improvised reamer can be made out of a drill bit reshaped on a lathe or improvised using a drill press and an angle grinder
Step 6: If you used an improvised chamber reamer your bore will have some gouges and scratches, these can be polished away by coating a spent casing in abrasive compound, jamming it into the bore, and rotating either the casing or the barrel for a few minutes

How would one go about rifling a barrel anyway? t. Amateur

See for a crude yet functional method.

There are more detailed videos on Youtube about DIY button rifling.

Jow Forums users hardly classify as average males. I don't know a single male my age that owns even a pair of pliers. Most people can however source most of these tools from dads, grampas or relatives.

Aussies already make them with AR9 barrels and Glock mag compatible.

Source on that? I'm an Aussie and this is the first I've heard of it.

Bikies make very nice lutys

Attached: image.jpg (416x736, 29K)

if you take off the santa hat it'll probably function better

Anyone have paper templates for these and instructions?

These are semi not full right?

Full auto.
thehomegunsmith.com/pdf/Expedient-Homemade-Firearms-Vol-II-PA-Luty.pdf

The stens weak point is the magazine. Slight fuckering of the angle of the lips causes problems. Making a way to reliably make good double stack double feed mags and box springs would be an improvement

grabcad.com/library/9-mm-luger-smg-glock-17-mag-1

Rifling buttons are mad cheap on AliExpress.

You need to make a hydraulic press from a bottle jack to force it through.

They are full-auto exclusively, but since they are blowback smg's, they apparently fire so slowly that you can treat them as semi-auto as long as you don't keep the trigger held down.
Have the instructions, but haven't actually made one.

>but since they are blowback smg's, they apparently fire so slowly that you can treat them as semi-auto as long as you don't keep the trigger held down.
That makes no sense, why on Earth you'd think that simply being blowback would make a gun cycle slowly.

I tired to, the tigger mechanism is fucking retared and doesn’t work well

The Bikies in Australia have some pretty decent improvements, between red dots, cerakote type finishes, and folding stocks.

Attached: 17652432113241.jpg (1280x720, 152K)

Cannot into wrench and sparky user over here.

The fastest ROF's in non-gatling format are blowbacks...