What is the best carbine style rifle for home defense and why is it the M1 Carbine?

what is the best carbine style rifle for home defense and why is it the M1 Carbine?

Attached: m1.jpg (650x191, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/GM4xlYhQ_Jo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How’s living in 1963 treating you?

>press fingers against op rod
>gun jams

It would be on the short list except for the fact that originals in decent shape are now collector's items, and the newer repros tend to suck.

Correct. It’s a shame too. As an owner of a Korean War M1 that was my grandfathers, I can say that while it certainly isn’t the most powerful gun, it is definitely a blast to shoot and incredibly simple. Also it looks like a fudd gun so if you shoot a home intruder with it and go to civil court you more than likely won’t run the risk of getting an unnecessary force charge slapped on you

This. Basically if you want a gun similar to this, the Mini-14 is a better choice, being both cheaper and overall better performing (in all ways but weight, the M1 Carbine is lighter and handier).

You can get 2-3 new AR15's for the price of a not shit M1 carbine

Really makes you big think

Is there a reason to get a Mini-14 if I have an SKS?

Attached: 6a68bf2690d262ccfb24ed78116a43e439182c522f0d5f633f3da84f5e403be6.png (472x508, 3K)

Why does time matter?

That only matters if youre poor. Just dont be poor and own collectibles without having to use cuck logic like u just did.

Some, depending on your preferences:
>a modern Mini-14 will generally have better inherent accuracy than the average SKS, the old ones frequently do not (avoid a serial number that doesn't start with a 58)
>a Mini-14 will be lighter than an SKS
>a 5.56mm has longer range, vs the heavier punching 7.62mm the SKS uses
>Mini-14 is available in .300BLK, if you like the idea of that
>reports about the Mini-30 (7.62mm) are rather mixed, many don't seem to like steelcase ammo very much, the regular Mini-14 eats steelcase without any complaints
>only old GB and select-fire models of the Mini-14 come with bayonet lugs, while the SKS generally comes with a bayonet attached to the gun
>you could beat a bear to death with an SKS and it would be fine
>if you crack someone in the back of the head with a Mini-14, it'll be fine, but the stock probably can't take as much smashing as the SKS in the long run
>Mini-14 has detachable magazines, even when limited to 10rds, you could attach the bottoms of two magazines with like some tape or something and have 10+10+1 in a fast reload, magazines aren't as cheap as AR15 or AK magazines however
>SKS has a fixed magazine, but it's real easy to just top off with loose rounds, and stripping a clip is pretty fast, it's also a bit more ban-proof
>mounting an optic on a Mini-14 is easy, Ruger even gives you scope rings in the box
>mounting an optic on an SKS is less easy, and arguably not worth it
>the Mini-14 is available in a stainless steel with a plastic stock, which is nice if you live in Florida or Louisiana
>the SKS is not available in stainless with a plastic stock, unless someone did something horrible to it
>Mini-14 has rather little military history, some decent LEO (and crime) history
>SKS has some military history

Neither is a bad rifle (the SKS in particular if you got one back when they used to be so crazy cheap), it kind of comes down to what you like in a rifle.

Attached: mini14with10rdmag.jpg (4320x1717, 1003K)

If I'm about to drop $1000+ on a home-defense weapon, there's far better weapons I can think of than an M1 Carbine.

>topping off an SKS with loose rounds

I mean it's not undoable, but you'd have to hold the bolt back

I prefer a Winchester 1892.

Attached: Winchester1892Carbine.jpg (900x185, 75K)

AR platform is even older, you mong.

you don't pronounce it like carbine you pronounce it like carbine

Pros
>light
>short
>easy to use
>if you replace the springs and have good magazines they're very reliable
>.30 carbine is good at putting holes in people at home defense ranges
>optional bayonet lug
Cons
>only the actual milsurp ones work well
>those are at least $800 dollars
>I don't know about you, but I'd be sad as hell if my baby had to hang out in an evidence locker for a whole 6 fucking months. I'd rather lose my AR or my security 9, those are more easily replaceable.

Attached: 20180922_164231-3265x1587.jpg (3265x1587, 1.5M)

>never used gun in question
>post anyway

>better performing
Having owned both, I can't disagree more

A mini14 is just as bad as an AR for home defense due to the fact that the hi velocity sharp point rifle cartridge is more likely to over penetrate, even considering 5.56’s propensity to fragment. This is definitely not preferable when you consider there could be people behind just a couple layers of drywall that are non hostile. The rounded tip low powder charge .30 carbine round is superior to the 5.56 for a home defense application.

Really now, when was yours made?

The .30 Carbine bullet would make it through drywall just as well, for that matter there's some rather nice frangible .223 loads which are top tier for defensive purposes.

I'd want something like this

Attached: DSC_2819.jpg (1024x681, 133K)

I agree M1 carbine is a very effective highly underrated CQB platform, especially with modern ammo. Pretty much anybody can shoot it, it's light, easy to manuever, and relatively powerful within 100m. Too bad they're all expensive and the clones are all kinda trash. I used to have a mixex parts one, wish I didn't trade it

Ive never heard of it being a problem, but if you were worried about it there's different wood available.

Attached: stockrightmap.jpg (800x220, 32K)

You know what would be nice? Just your standard AR15 action, gas-tube, rotating bolt, and recoil buffer and all, but the thing is scaled down to .30 Carbine size.
Not like some half-assed conversion kit where an insert is put in a regular AR lower, but an actual proper receiver sized for it.
It would instead of using old GI mags, have a new magazine made out of plastic, with better feed geometry and reliability.

Imagine how lightweight and handy this could be as a rifle, with so little recoil going for it, yet some respectable power for its size.

Kind of a neat idea.

You mean essentially a rechambered AR with a lower specific to the caliber or an entirely new firearm made of all proprietary parts? I would like to see a .30 carbine AR but the only way it is going to happen is through a simple rechamber using a lower with a mag well specific to whatever mag this supposed gun would use. Whatever became of it, it would need to be compatible with all of the hand guards/stocks/pistol grips etc that are currently available for the AR.

Because youre a patrician Alpha, and not a pathetic soiboi beta.

>or an entirely new firearm made of all proprietary parts?
A new firearm with some proprietary parts, and some old ones.

You could use some off the shelf stuff:
>sights
>gas tube
>gas block
>forward assist I guess
>FCG
>furniture
>buffer tube
>possibly bolt heads, depending on if a .30 carbine cartridge would fit properly on one (the case head diameter is similar)
>bolt release
>magazine release maybe

Basically what you need is a new barrel, new receiver, new bolt-carrier group, and new magazines. All the big important parts would need to be new, but there's a lot of small parts which could easily be worked into the design.

I know this isn't an honest answer. Don't get me wrong, I do love the M1 Carbine. I find it to be a sexy piece of weaponry. But in modern times we have better options. Personally I think if Ruger could shorten the barrel on the PC9 and some how change the stock to fit a "pistol brace. Have a rail for a flash light and a rail for a red dot. I would find that ideal for home defense. Just my opinion though.

Attached: PCWood.png (1024x499, 304K)

My nibba

Attached: 20181226_204453.jpg (3264x2448, 2.73M)

Recently, post 580 series. It isn't an accuracy issue, just generally speaking the mini 14 feels more like a mass produced beater rifle than the actually mass produced beater rifle. Still a fine rifle, just wasn't fond of the trigger or stamped assemblies

ar15

This is Indisputable

Why not just .300blk?

wrong

the M1 is superior for the same reason that a mini 14 is superior to an AR for home defense. If you are in a state that does not have castle doctrine and you shoot a home invader, some BS civil courts will try and prosecute you for unnecessary force. in this event, a wood stocked "fudd style" gun is going to be much more welcomed by a jury than an AR that looks like a big bad war gun.

...What? I'm actually with the pro M1 side, but no!

>16 plus inch barrel length requirement
What's the point? Might as well just get a regular ar-15. Especially since you can customize it either with 300 aac for versatility OR 450 bushmaster for power in shorter ranges.

as much as i love the m1 carbine, i would never trust that jammomatic for home defense. get a ruger pc9

But a new Mini will go bang every time you pull the trigger. As much as I love my carbine, they're notoriously unreliable.

I like wood stocks as much as anyone else but this is just plain retarded. Unless you use xxx-zombie ammunition with your AR or have a billion attachments to your AR, whilst harboring a "you're fucked" dust cover, you really can't use the "unnecessary force" as an argument in a court case. And if it ever does, then it will more than likely be shut down.

Attached: ar-15_ejection_port_dust_cover_-_smile_-you_re_fucked.jpg (1000x1000, 74K)

Well there's those. I think the trigger could probably be improved.
Other than that they're a solid and workable rifle (which is overshadowed some by the AR15, granted).

I would like to say I agree with you but wouldn’t you rather be safe than sorry? Remember we are talking about civil court, not criminal. Civil court is much less friendly to the defense and the prosecution is given much more leeway to stretch legal definitions than in criminal court.

>civil court is much less friendly
I'd probably have to agree with you on that, but only because I live in such a state of idiocy known as Maryland. Though realistically I'd use a shotgun for my home, even if it means blowing out my ears.

That fucking sucks. It’d be nice if there was something like a federal castle doctrine bill that would protect people in shit states. In Mississippi of course I can shoot a home invader with whatever the fuck I want and unnecessary force will never be mentioned and I am thankful for that. Of course even in a shit state there are at least a few decent options for home defense. Fuck cities like New York and Chicago though.

I would avoid using the "You're fucked!" dustcover because I prefer to not look like a massive faggot.

It will look better when your face is in the news next to a nice wooden gun instead of an Automatic Rapid 15 assault rifle.

Also on the plus side, you actually get to shoot somebody with an M1 Carbine.

I mean you can defend yourself her, however do bare in mind that unless the attacker has a weapon of his own. Then except to have a length court case with lots of fees to pay for. There was a court case I believe in 2014 for Baltimore, where the guy defending his home was almost convicted of manslaughter, due to the attacker not having any weapons of his own and because the prosecutor made ridiculous arguments such as, "I would never use a weapon if someone knocked on my door at 2 in the morning".

Doesn't make a difference, shut the fuck up.

makes me think of the colt mars.
which in turn brings to mind those .22 spitfire M1 carbine conversions

Attached: ColtMARSspecs.jpg (403x480, 48K)

I wish they made 15 or 30 round magazines for the Ruger Deerfield. It’s as light and handy as the M1 carbine, built on a Mini14 style action, and chambered in .44 magnum.

older than '63 I mean.

It does make a difference in a non castle doctrine state when you go to civil court and the jury that is assigned to your case is a bunch of dumb ass fudds and minority persons that think that ARs are weapons of war

This argument is straight up retarded.

>M1
>not a weapon of war

>Not a ruger 10/22 with 25 rounds of CCI Velocitor :^)

Why do people keep saying the repo's suck?
I've shot probably close to 1500 through mine and it hasn't fucked up at all

getting myself a sig mpx with 8 inch barrel

Because it's larger and recoils more.
My idea is a rifle which would be stupidly easy for anyone to shoot, like a little old lady could shoot a .30 Carbine AR rapidly and she wouldn't faze.

"Over penetratation"

Over penetration is a problem only if you have certain type of walls, or if you live in a crowded neighborhood. I don't know if burglars are so stupid to try to pull a home invasion in a suburb. Personally I live in a forest and the real concern is that my walls may bounce something, but I don't care.

>notoriously unreliable
No, just the magazines. When the rifles we're cheap as fuck, companies starting throwing together stamped magazines of incredibly poor quality.

The magazines were designed to be single-use. If you can find new unissued GI magazines and throw them out after every time you use them, they'll jam a bit less.

What is the use case for an M1 that would not be fulfilled by an AR?

The 15rd magazines can be reused plenty.
The 30rd magazines as well, but they require the later magazine catch installed to support the added weight, otherwise they will not want to feed right.

There are however a lot of fucking shit aftermarket mags.

Show me raw video of mag dumping an M1 carbine with the same mag 4 times in a row with 0 malfunctions. Stripper clips will make it easier.

youtu.be/GM4xlYhQ_Jo

About as close to what you ask for as anyone's going to get

>designed to be single use
Ya nah

Attached: 14c.jpg (207x253, 17K)

>designed to be single-use
In WW2? No way in hell, box magazines were considered too expensive for that at the time.

Hell, that hasn't actually ever worked out, it didn't work when they first tried it for the M16, and it didn't work out when the French tried it with the Famas.
Germany attempted that idea with the G3 but accidentally made perfectly reusable magazines anyway, which is one of the most German things I've ever heard in my life.

Have a Mini 30. Can confirm, it sometimes takes 2 strikes to get steel case to go off. The design of the pin makes it a couple thousandths of an inch short, and steel case in particular has deep-seated primers. As long as you get quality ammo with flush primers, you shouldn't have any issues. As for Mini vs SKS, I'd take the Mini in a heartbeat. The only reason that the SKS is (was?) popular is the low cost. The Mini 30 is lighter, accepts removable magazines, and more readily mounts optics than the SKS. If you're using your gun for anything other than meming around at the range, the Mini will win.

>tfw you will never be a roof Korean with an M2

Why live

Some people say that polishing the boltface on their Mini-30 solves the problem (at least, the people who had the problem, which doesn't seem to be universal).

There are a number of accounts that support the claim that soldiers carrying the M1 carbine would change their mags out around once a week because it drastically helped to cut down on the number of feed failures. Still not a one time use but they were essentially treated as disposable.

I wonder why that is. :^)

based