Pneumatic Potato Launcher

I want to make a airpowered potato launcher. I am trying to find the fastest way to open a air valve fully which is under pressure. Ideas?

Attached: potatoegun.jpg (1024x768, 124K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ckdusa.com/4Gvalves/wp-content/uploads/Pneumatic_System_Best_Practices-Directional_Control_Valve_Selection.pdf
thehalls-in-bfe.com/GGDT/
spudtech.com
youtube.com/watch?v=jsXd8yu9wq8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

ATF pls go

Attached: 69e.png (200x200, 17K)

pneumatic launchers are not illegal to my knowledge. If I am wrong correct me.

Pneumatic guns are not regulated as firearms, even if they fire (inert) projectiles at lethal speeds. Theyre easy to build, either out of PVC or threaded steel, and can be great fun as well as be much quieter than firearms. I thus suggest we create another cancerous general with spinoff discord servers, called Pneumatic Weapons General.

To answer your question, OP, you can use servo actuated sprinkler valves for low pressor, or use high pressure ball valves with a rubber band actuated, long lever opening mechanism. See Jorge Spraves videos on the subject, you can get pretty good results with a little bit of plywood and some surgical tubing.

I did see his video on the ball valve with rubber bands. My concern with that is the size which is needed and the rubberbands being susceptible to temperature changes and not functioning as effectively. Are there no 'dump valve" sort of designs out there?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this.

The fastest way is to use a solenoid valve rather than one which you open manually with a lever.

>Are there no 'dump valve" sort of designs out there?
Yes. The word you are looking for is a "solenoid valve". They come in many versions: electrical, pilot operated, etc.

Any suggestions on specific models I should be looking at?

More info is needed. How do you intend to fire your cannon? Electric switch or do you want to operate a valve manually? If electric, what voltage are you using? In either case, what pressure do you want to work with?

I am kind of a sperg in terms of history and I was considering taking a Panzerfaust dummy model and making a dummy wooden warhead to larp with. So I need it all to fit into a pipe of similar dimensions. If I want the projectile to match the original optic I imagine it needs to fire a ~2lbs projectile 200 meters. I am wildly guessing that it needs to be like 300psi?

I also believer that an electrical solution would be best due to the many ways I could fit it to an original panzerfaust tube.

>I am wildly guessing that it needs to be like 300psi?
do your math, hombre. I suspect it will be far far higher than that.

Pneumatic panzerfaust is technically possible, but is far beyond the reaches of a basic hobbyist and will probably cost more than buying a real one.

What is a math?

It doesn't have to be the actual 2 lbs id just like an object to go the actual distance.

I'm in the process of building a pneumatic arrow cannon. My system should run around 500 psi and fire crossbow bolts.

I'm just waiting on my 7mm barrel that the arrow will slide over.

Electronic solenoid fired. Ball valve pictured is just a safety feature that I've since replaced with a lower profile valve.

My math says this thing will shoot about 450 fps.

Attached: AIR.png (1134x410, 8K)

Attach the lever to a very strong spring that snaps it open. One that requires some kind of ratchet like sysyem to draw it closed with a trigger to release it. Thats how id do it

This is basically the basics of how it would work and this would be somewhat easily done

Attached: pneumaticvalverelease.png (977x633, 22K)

I appreciate that user but that cannot fit in a Panzerfaust tube

So I was looking and ckdusa.com/4Gvalves/wp-content/uploads/Pneumatic_System_Best_Practices-Directional_Control_Valve_Selection.pdf

This basically says what you want is a direct acting pneumatic valve powered by a solenoid.It'll be a little more expensive, but has a faster opening time

Has anyone here built a break-action air cannon? I've been considering a design like In my head for awhile, but with a break action barrel that seals on gaskets. I don't imagine it would support as much pressure, but it would be a fun build.

I made one that can shoot golf balls through car doors but it's combustion.

Attached: IMG_20181220_112643.jpg (3024x752, 483K)

It's accurate up to 150 yards but effective up to 300 yards.

Attached: IMG_20181222_135606.jpg (3024x4032, 2.4M)

Pneumaticfag here.
You want a QEV (Quick Exhaust Valve) or a direct acting solenoid.
There are two kinds that I normally use, one is electric and one is mechanical and can be rigged for electric or non-electric use.
I'll get you links if you'd like and explain more. If you want to see if your rough ideas are workable, here is the calculator I use.
thehalls-in-bfe.com/GGDT/
It's surprisingly accurate. Might need to run it in compatibility mode, it's pretty old.

i have always wondered if these could be used in riots against police. the faggots like to pepper spray and gas people i think they would appreciate being poop lobbed on them from afar.

>hurrr da po-leese be faggits since dey use less lethal instead of simply mowing down violent thug assholes destroying private property. Bix nood mufuguh.

And let's be real. If the police are genuinely in the wrong and the rioters are watering the tree of liberty, then you don't want a fucking shit cannon, you want xm855.

I don't know man shooting hardened shit so fast it'd break a face visor would be fucking hilarious

I built one years ago that uses a 1” solenoid operated sprinkler valve connecting an air reservoir to a 1.5” barrel powered by 2 9v batteries and it packs a way bigger punch then a combustion cannon at 120psi. But if you’re up for a bit more complex build that’s way more powerful google “diaphragm air cannon”

Attached: 5B4818CB-AF90-40C3-A3CD-6BE36AC9B3DC.jpg (670x670, 89K)

These aren't as good as a simple piston valve air cannon.

a better thing would be to launch smoke bombs or flares.
The moment you use deadly force against them they will resort to some pretty powerful stuff, so it'd be best to use the cannon as artillery to disorient and confuse their formation, making it easier for the rioters to break through.

What you're looking for is called a butterfly valve, everybody else is a dumb nigger.

Dude I don’t think you turn the air on really fast and then off fast.I think you have to put the air into a reservoir tank until you fire the trigger at which point all the air in the reservoir tank is released

Here ya go OP.
spudtech.com

Us an election solenoid valve.

>thehalls-in-bfe.com/GGDT/

Thanks for that info user. Can you send the QEV's?

>pneumatic
it could legally launch projectiles at half the speed of light at 700 rpm and still be technically legal as long the launching didn't involve explosives

Isn't there a maximum amount of explosives you could put in a potato before it's a NFA violation? Something like 1/4 ounce of boom?

I wouldn't risk it unless you're absolutely sure you want to start Civil War 2: Potato Boogaloo.

wew thats the exact same thing i made with my dad when i was little down to the valve and the tape, i used a bike pump instead of an air compressor when i needed to. managed to kill a rabbit by filling my much smaller tube with ball bearings. glad my mum had the sense to get rid of it because things like that are very illegal where i live. fuck the government. i really wish i tried using darts with the fins cut down and the offcuts epoxied a bit forward so there wasn't any give in the tube.

Any suggestions on a specific one?

What’s your gas mix?

You say that like you're not getting lit the fuck up the second you bring out your giant spud gun

>It's ok guys, I'm sure he's only loaded non-lethal ordinance in that giant pipe bomb on his shoulder

There's some really good plans floating around using steel pipe and co2 capsules. Google "DIY paintball grenade launcher co2."

youtube.com/watch?v=jsXd8yu9wq8

It's butane so 3% of the chamber volume.
The thing fires 150+ yards accurately, you'd be a bit far away for them to make it out.