Could you use controlled galvanic corrosion followed by electrolytic rust removal to rifle a barrel from a stainless...

Could you use controlled galvanic corrosion followed by electrolytic rust removal to rifle a barrel from a stainless steel tube?

Attached: 1515582071705.jpg (1024x482, 115K)

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/diHx7
youtube.com/watch?v=ou8nNBn5Cbs
i.imgur.com/Tvgdmgv.jpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It would take a very long time.

Like, years. You have no idea how thin a layer of rust is.

Technically yes, practically no. It would have 0 advantages over conventional rifling.

What if you put current through it to speed the process up?
Easier to improvise.

>Easier to improvise.
I don't think that's true.

Also, keep in mind that chemical and electrical etching both leave behind very rough surfaces. The rifling would only last a handful of shots until it was fouled to fuck and back with lead or copper.

Why are you so hung up on rifling anyway? A smoothbore is perfectly suitable for most weapons needs

imgur.com/a/diHx7
It has been done.

Nobody is denying that's it's possible.
The question is what is the point?

>what is the point of being able to make your own rifling
being able to defend oneself is a natural right, and protected by the constitution

Agreed. But why would you choose electrochemcial rifling to address that need as opposed to countless other methods?

I'm not questioning your desire to build your own barrel. I'm pointing out your choice of method for cutting your rifling seems absurd.

It seems much easier than any other method of cutting your rifling.
>3d print the insert
>put copper in insert
>put insert and tube in salt water
>put electricity in copper and tube
>wait
>done

how many hobbyists own a 3D printer with enough travel to make an insert long enough for a rifle barrel?

If this is for handguns then why are you even asking about rifling at all? Rifling is totally unnecessary for the ranges at which most handguns are used at.

You make two or more inserts and put them together, genius.

It would come out like complete shit

I'd rather my barrel not have a step in it where those two parts met. You know, for accuracy and all.

So you don't want a barrel at all is what you are saying.

I just don't want a shitty one.
Why not cut rifle it?

I could see this being used with some of the other homemade SMG plans floating around such as the PA Luty gun.

Because you live in a country with no rights and is over ran with criminals.

You didn't answer either of the questions posed.

That didn't answer my question. If I can get a steel rod and some wood then I can cut-rifle a barrel.

Are you suggesting that I am living somewhere where I have easy access to a 3D printer and supplies for electrolysis but I don't have a simple metal rod and some wood scraps?

That won't be a problem. You make two holes in the end of one of the barrel inserts, and two plugs in the others. Then you just MEK weld it.

Attached: 1527693079705.gif (600x400, 7K)

How do you rifle a barrel with a metal rod and some wood scraps?

If you can get hold of steel rod, you can make a barrel, broach it and make an entire gun. Why you are going arse about face to do it is beyond anyone.

>Your grasp on English suggest you aren't a freedom lover

A mortise-and-tenon joint alone is not sufficient to ensure good enough alignment, nor is the process at all.

>>lets use a process whose tolerances are measured in millimeters to make a part whose precision we require to be a tiny fraction of a millimeter

You're honestly better off with smoothbore.

>How do you rifle a barrel with a metal rod and some wood scraps?

By making a ghetto version of this:
youtube.com/watch?v=ou8nNBn5Cbs

What is 90% of Europe, 99% of Asia and most other parts of the world.

You can have 3D printers in everywhere but North Korean. And the wood stick trick is not easy and you will fuck it up 3 or 4 times before you get a good barrel.

This is a new way of making a barrel that requires a lot less work. A single person could make tons of barrels a day. Where the old wooden stick is a very time consuming process.

Are you fucking retarded?

It is. Look at the imgur album. The insert is just a holder for the electrode.

Attached: 1543348270925.jpg (5344x4008, 2.62M)

>If you can get hold of steel rod, you can make a barrel, broach it and make an entire gun.
I'm talking about a piece of random scrap, not something of the quality needed to make an actual barrel. Nevermind the fact that even if you had a proper blank of barrel steel you probably don't have the tools required for drilling it out.

>>Why you are going arse about face to do it is beyond anyone.
That's what I think OP is doing: advocating a highly complex solution to a problem which
a) doesn't really exist anyway
and
b) has easier, more practical solutions.

Because that is the only way anything should ever be made and is the most effective way too.

The future is now Grandma

>What is 90% of Europe, 99% of Asia and most other parts of the world.
I'm pretty sure that 3D printers cost a lot more money than a piece of steel rod and a 2x4.

>> And the wood stick trick is not easy and you will fuck it up 3 or 4 times before you get a good barrel.
Yes, that's true. I'm sure that's true for electroloysis as well. and when we're done, a cut-rifled barrel will shoot a hell of a lot better than your electrochemically etched one.

>>This is a new way of making a barrel that requires a lot less work
I don't think so.

>>Where the old wooden stick is a very time consuming process.
It doesn't get much slower than chemical etching. And the speed advantage doesn't matter when your finished product is garbage quality.

>Because that is the only way anything should ever be made and is the most effective way too.

Nobody said that. I'm just saying it's superior to OP's silly little idea.

How such a thing might look. 18th or 19th century, from rural Sweden. Made pretty good barrels from what I've understood. The rifling should end up a lot cleaner and crisper than i.imgur.com/Tvgdmgv.jpg at least.

99% or Asia can't get basic raw materials like planks and scrap metal? I wonder how they get about building houses, farming equipment, etc. At least here in Europe we have this highly secretive place called a "DIY store".

Attached: 20160718_101653.jpg (581x1032, 151K)

Are you?
The wire will hold it together. The tolerances are not as low as you think, see

Attached: 20160718_105651.jpg (1032x581, 160K)

The cutting tool. Lost to less than stellar photography is that, IIRC, the surfaces here are cut like files in order to cut. Seems like the hardest part (in many ways), maybe cut up some needle files?

Attached: 20160718_105645.jpg (675x471, 112K)

>The tolerances are not as low as you think
How do you know the tolerances that I want out of my barrel? I haven't posted it in the thread yet.

Depends entirely on how many barrels you want to make.

You could harden a piece of mild steel and make a small number of barrels before you'd have to touch it up. A piece of high carbon steel would make many before it needed to be reground. If you were doing this in a SHTF scenario, then something ideal would be a piece of tungsten carbide scavenged from a saw blade or metalworking tool brazed or soldered to the rod.

>highly complex solution
How? It needs a laptop charger, a 3d printer, salt water, and some wire.
How is this complex?
>a problem which doesn't exist
Like making rifled barrels for the Luty?

>How is this complex?
>requires a 3D printer
Really bro?

>>Like making rifled barrels for the Luty?
Correct. At the ranges that a Luty is useful for there's no need for rifling. Just put a smoothbore on there and go.

It takes about 5 minutes and has no moving parts. The finished product looks to be of okay quality.
So, not more complex than making any of the myriad AR-15 lowers.

>At the ranges that a Luty is useful for there's no need for rifling. Just put a smoothbore on there and go.
Why not? The design isn't inherently inaccurate.

>So, not more complex than making any of the myriad AR-15 lowers.
Yes, those are also absurdly complex if the goal is clandestine or SHTF weapons.

>>Why not? The design isn't inherently inaccurate.
The purpose of a SMG is though, as is the process of firing one. Expecting precision out of an SMG is lipstick on a pig.

>To stupid to work hobby 3D printer.
>To stupid to mix water and salt.
>To stupid to wire 12v battery.
>To stupid to wait a day or so.

Really bro

>Yes, those are also absurdly complex if the goal is clandestine or SHTF weapons.
And what if the goal is to fight gun control?
>The purpose of a SMG is though, as is the process of firing one. Expecting precision out of an SMG is lipstick on a pig.
You realize the Luty has poor enough accuracy that he didn't even bother with sights?
If you want to ghetto it, ceramic might work good enough in lieu of plastic.

Follow the thread, user. This all goes back to my post>I just don't want a shitty one.
>Why not cut rifle it?

and user's reply:
>Because you live in a country with no rights and is over ran with criminals.

That makes me envision some kind of 3rd world shithole, where some wood scraps and a piece of steel rod are a lot easier to get than an expensive-ass 3D printer.

As for electrolytic etching, I've done it many times, though for artistic purposes not for practical ones. I know it leaves a shitty rough finish, which is yet another reason why I want to avoid it.

>And what if the goal is to fight gun control?
Pipe shotguns, zip guns, etc remain more economical and easier to distribute information on. They also don't require the user to own a costly luxury item (3D printer).

>>You realize the Luty has poor enough accuracy that he didn't even bother with sights?
All the more reason to make me wonder why anyone is bothering with rifling its barrel.

for all this talk about 3D printing weapons parts being useful for avoiding excessively strict regimes, etc...

aren't people concerned that it is easy to track who is downloading or distributing the relevant files? What's to stop honeypot files from being distributed which contain key flaws, or to track (or perhaps plant malware upon) those who download it?

doesn't it make more sense to share simple ideas that anyone can implement just the basic idea, rather than being dependent on specific downloadable files?

>is easy to track
remember when napster was a thing, and now there is no more internet piracy. Man that was a weird- OH WAIT thats fucking retarded

Attached: 7proxies.jpg (455x300, 35K)

>doesn't it make more sense to share simple ideas that anyone can implement
We call that a four winds shotgun. The 3D printed shit is just there so the kids who have never seen the inside of a hardware store can pretend to be important.

>Too stupid to shit in your hand
>Too stupid to smear that shit on your face
>Too stupid to eat that shit

Really bro?

Not an argument

>remember when napster was a thing
I do. And I remember when it was all over the news that such-and-such record company had sued some kid or some grandma for downloading an MP3. If they could track things like that 20 years ago they can certainly do better today.

The accuracy is poor because the barrel isn't rifled, genius.

>aren't people concerned that it is easy to track who is downloading or distributing the relevant files?
Tor
Also very easy to e.g. make it into an image and post it on Jow Forums, now you have hundreds of people who downloaded it without having any way of knowing who'll use it or even wanted to download it
>What's to stop honeypot files from being distributed which contain key flaws,
Nothing, except for test firing them or getting them from reliable sources.
> or to track (or perhaps plant malware upon) those who download it?
Not possible if it's just a 3d model.

Real life SMGs have awful accuracy despite having rifled barrels. Go on YT and watch just about any SMG being fired in slow-mo. Note how the barrel jumps all over the place.

>it's another arm chair machinist looking for a easy way to not actually do something.
Sine Bar rifling has been a thing since forever and it's not hard to make. Check out Clinton westwood. Ecm is your practical electrical option, and you can always buy a rifling button from the slavs or make one if you have a die grinder and a steady hand. All of these processes produce better results, faster and don't cost that much than chemical etching.

Google electrochemical milling