New revolverfag

I’m getting a 6” 357 magnum to be my only revolver and last gun purchase for the foreseeable future.

I’m looking at the 686 and gp100. The 686 is stronger and has a better trigger but looks like it’s a bitch to clean because of the side plate and the lock

What’s the best maintenance schedule for each of these wheelgats?

Attached: ACE28E86-2E73-48A0-9E57-57FE8ED36939.jpg (1094x1125, 689K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/RVPYgohVCNM
youtube.com/watch?v=rliTo_SnPIE
youtube.com/watch?v=uO48mtNd4jo
youtube.com/watch?v=UZsber37rKU
luckygunner.com/38-special-p-158-gr-lswchp-federal-le-50-rounds
bkgrips.com/?page_id=12
t-grips.com/
sportsmansvintagepress.com/read-free/shooting-table-contents/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitz_special
youtube.com/watch?v=04eUJ1MIjvM&t=578s
buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=541
gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/pistols/manurhin/manurhin-mr73-nib.cfm?gun_id=101072143
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

get the 686, it's a better gun to shoot.

the 686 is not stronger than a GP100.
whichever you buy is up to you. I chose GP100. I'm going to get a redhawk one of these days.

The GP100 is stonger but kinda ugly. IMO, ultimately I went with the 686 plus with a 3" barrel.

Also, the lock is easy to disable. And now there's fianlly someone making plugs for them again.

youtu.be/RVPYgohVCNM

>>maintenance schedule
Shoot gun, clean gun, repeat

If it's gonna be your only revolver and last gun purchase for a while, do yourself a service and get a pre-lock 686. Itll be better made, better finished, and not have the hillary hole.

I know it’s been memed here for a few days but L frames come in .44 magnum, gp100s only go up to .44 special

I don’t like buying used guns

I personally like the GP100. sturdy, reliable, sold for a good price.
>What’s the best maintenance schedule for each of these wheelgats?
If you take it out shooting, you bring it in the clean.

>I don’t like buying used guns
I understand, my general philosophy tho is buy Rugers new and Smiths used. If you insist on buying new, get the GP100, but you'd be much better served by buying a used pre-lock 686. If you do some research, you'll have no problem getting a good used smith, especially if you buy off gunbroker from a seller who offers an inspection period. Good luck tho user, wheelgats are the shit. You'll probably end up with more in the future.

It's not hard to remove the side plate just make sure you use the correct fit flathead or you can ding up the screws or scratch frame a bit. Both good choices. I personally like the Model 19 best, K frame best frame

Why is the Ruger necessarily better than the new smith?

Anyone got the video sauce on the OP pic or a QRD?

Ruger revolvers are built like tanks supposedly. No idea if anyone's done a torture test for longevity side by side

you're not missing anything. guy on a riding mower points gun at police.

It's not necessarily that the new Ruger is better than the new Smith. Its more that the new Smith are not as good as the old Smiths, so you get a better gun for around the same price by buying an older used Smith than a new Smith. The new Smiths aren't bad by any means, but just have a worse finish than the old Smiths, a lock, and a higher rate of lemons than the Rugers and old Smiths.

>new Smith are not as good as the old Smith
youtube.com/watch?v=rliTo_SnPIE

The finish still doesn't look as nice, no pin/recess either for those with the fetish for it. Also the lock will be there even if you remove it there's still a filled in pothole. Nice video tho didn't realize they toughened em up a bit, I'd still prefer a 19-3

Dude, I respect Miculek, but he's a literal Smith and Wesson salesman. OTOH, the newer Model 19 is an outlier and I think is actually stronger than the old Model 19 which had a reputation for getting fucked by shooting a bunch of 357. Keep in mind that doesn't mean it is "better made" in terms of fit and finish, but rather more modern. A more fair comparison would be an old Model 27 and a new Model 19/27. Ultimately though, the older 686 will be as strong as a new one, but with better made in terms of fit and finish.

Basically old smith for aesthetics and nu smith for a superior shooter. Locks suck for a lot of reasons but at least they're easy to remove.

>nu smith for a superior shooter
From what I understand that only applies to the Model 19, especially considering the higher rate of lemons in nu Smiths. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in though. I only own 2 old Smiths and a Ruger as far as wheelguns go.

Old Sniths are tough too, but alot of people on the net, take it for what it's worth, claim that shooting too many 125 grain .357s can overtime split the forcing cone or wear it quickly, since it was originally intended for 158. Supposedly why the 586/686 came about. Yes the older Smith's Pre lock/pinned have beautiful finishes, very pretty bluing. You'll probably be alright with an old one, plus you can find them cheaper especially at gunshows. Just don't feed it nothing but 125s and it'll probably Outlast you. I had an old snubby 19 that I regret selling and then recent I had a nickel one, but the nickel was starting to flake and would fly off when I was shooting it so I traded it. I haven't shot any of of their new 19s so I can't weigh in, they look OK just not as nice as the older ones

Such a shame because 125gr is so fun to shoot. Loud with giant fireballs, especially in a snub. Love shooting them in my SP101. FWIW though i was telling OP to buy a pre-lock 686, which should be the best of both worlds.

>I know it’s been memed here for a few days but L frames come in .44 magnum, gp100s only go up to .44 special

This is because the S&W wasn't designed to eat through a steady diet of the stuff day-in-day-out. Frame size of the GP100 would accommodate .44 Mag but they already have the Redhawk for that. The S&W is the nicer gun both looks and trigger, the Ruger is a workhorse and easily maintained. Decide which is more attractive to you in a revolver and go with that.

Only thing is 686 is L frame, which IMO isn't as comfy, unless you've got some giant hands probably wouldn't matter. Yah 125s make the .357 pick up some umffffphh. I think they're fine you just don't wanna feed em that nonstop over time supposedly
>Out of a snubbie
Sounds/looks like a howitzer goin off lol. Shitty part is you're pretty much just out of 9mm territory because of the barrel

>Shitty part is you're pretty much just out of 9mm territory because of the barrel
Lies. Go compare ballistics of Bufallo Bore in snubbies to 9mm. There should be some vids of it on Youtube. Dont really feel like getting the vids fo you right now since im in the gym atm, forgive me.

>Sounds/looks like a howitzer goin off lol
Isnt that whats really important?

IDK about the gp100, but I bought a Redhawk in .357 and in under a month it's having issues with the trigger reset. I'm starting to regret not listening to people who said all modern Smiths and Rugers are garbage. I've only put two hundred rounds of .38 special and one hundred magnums through it, but have been dry firing it with snap caps a lot. Took it apart, action got smoother, then started locking up. I dicked around with it trying to find the problem and ended up losing the pawl plunger spring. Also while trying to examine the trigger group the pin holding it in walked itself out and sent the cylinder plunger spring flying. Lost that as well. The transfer bar has horrible rough machine marks on one side, and it's finely polished at one point, possibly from rubbing against the frame. When I reassembled it the first couple of times I had to poke it into place as it didn't line up. I don't know weather to send it back, or just order replacement plungers, put it back together, and sell it. I know Ruger has good customer service, but they probably will reassemble it, put ten rounds through it, and return it. Then it will lock up again.

They'll still be slightly above 9mm but I'm doubting it'll touch magnum energy. Paul harrel did a video don't remember if he used BB tho. Gotta imagine if you're doing that to carry, using BB in a snubby you're still get a little over 9mm in a 6 round or 5 round package, with the excess recoil flash, and missing capacity. My preference if I carry a revolver, granted this is just my preference are the hottest 158 grains, that way you get the slightly heavier bullet 9mm doesn't provide. Going to search for some videos, I'll post em if I find a good one

That sucks user only Ruger revolvers I've messed with are older Vaquero's/Blackhawk and they were pretty solid. Maybe you just got a lemon? That does happen

youtube.com/watch?v=uO48mtNd4jo

>Paul harrel did a video don't remember if he used BB tho.
I know he specifically tested the non+P 38 special from BB in one of his videos on 38 special and it performed great. Its what I personally carry. The flash and report are specifically why i moved away from 357 in my carry snub. Dont wanna permafuck my ears if I have to shoot it from my car desu.

I guess BB has a 180 grain .357 moving around 1200 fps in a snubby on one video. That's pretty stout shit for a snub nosed

Even the FBI used to carry 158 +p LSWC in their .357s. Federal still sells them online, actually a great time tested round. Cool fact it was actually the round that finished off the Miami bank robbers

>That's pretty stout shit for a snub nosed
Told you senpai. BB and Underwood are where its at. Get the right load an itll out perform 9mm even in a snubby, just not by as large a margin as from a longer barrel.

>Even the FBI used to carry 158 +p LSWC in their .357s.
Unfortunately not an option since i switched to a Model 49 from my SP101 for easier pocket carry.

Attached: 20180917_205709.jpg (2054x2827, 3.24M)

>itll out perform 9mm even in a snubby

Barely and with god awful recoil, report and muzzle blast. 357 snubs are fucking stupid.

>not an option
youtube.com/watch?v=UZsber37rKU

Fuck i love the 49. It's definitely an option it's steel not aluminum, should be fine senpai. I've been in the market for one since I bought a Model 38 at a gun show last year that had a split under the barrel in the frame. The guy I bought it from was cool(he probably bubba assembled it heh) and gave my money back

180 gr pill at 1200fps vs Corbon 90gr pill at 1215 fps from the same barrel length is hardly a minor improvement. That said I dont carry it precisely because of the report. Recoil impulse can be mitigated through training and lifting weights desu. Cant weight train my ear drums not to burst unfortunately.

As I understand the BB 38 I carry outperforms that load. I think I've seen that video before when I was deciding on a load for carry. Could be wrong though since im lifting rn and cant watch the vid.

>40100035
Glad he gave you your money back. I strongly recommend one. Stalk Gunbroker for a good looking one with an inspection period and you'll be golden. I personally took the nicest one I could find. Wanted to wear it out myself and also be sure it wasnt too abused if I was gonna carry it.

158 + p .38 LSWC that is, not .357. They carried .38s alot in their .357s since the .38 LSWC is still a pretty stout round and easy to shoot. Great carry round for a snubby

Thanks senpai Ill look into it

>As I understand the BB 38 I carry outperforms that load.

BB +P LSWCHP, +p HST and +P Gold Dots are all good performers and I wouldn't feel bad carrying any of them. Only thing against BB is the price. i would probably go with BB is i was limited to standard velocity. Harrell tested their standard velocity LSWCHP and it passed the meat test breddy well.

Actually on second thought its a no go. The model 49 isn't +P rated. Itd probably handle it, but I want to err on the side of caution.

oof, i love shrouded hammer snubs. i don't like short barrels in general but these are perfect for pocket carry.

Gunshows coming up in 2 weeks my eyes are always peeled for Model 19s, 36s, and 49s. Current fetishes. I pretty much ignore all else. Might sell my transitional MAK I never shoot and buy a shitload of revolvers kek. Here's that old-school police/FBI ammo if you want something decent and time tested in a .38
luckygunner.com/38-special-p-158-gr-lswchp-federal-le-50-rounds

Attached: 600px-WoGS&W640-3~2.jpg (169x334, 11K)

It's fine just don't shoot em all day. I had a 36 I used to shoot them out of and ALOT of old cops on Smith forums and other places carried them in 36s and 49s, have never heard of an issue. Now the older aluminums I definitely wouldn't. The new aluminums are plus p rated. You gotta get some original grips/T grips my man make that 49 proper

You will have zero problems if you don't shoot a lot of +P bro. Fire one cylinder to confirm where your gun puts them relative to the sights and then only use them for carry. Or just go with the standard velocity Buffalo Bore LSWCHP.

That stuff is optimized for 4" barrel. Probably not what I'd pick for a snub with so many more modern designs on the market that are optimized for snubs.

That Paul video is partially what made me decide to go with the BB load. Also, I think he only tested non+P BB and it still rekt the meat test. BB and Underwood are amazing for revolvers.

What are you gonna use the revolver youre looking for for? Id also consider the Model 15. Not too different from a 19 considering the 19 cant handle constant 357.

Id buy the T grips, but im too high time preference to mail in my payment and wait for them to come in the mail lol

Ill prolly stick with non+P just because Im attached to this gun and cant bear to see it get shot to shit.

Attached: 20181108_210136.jpg (2880x2160, 1.69M)

>Id buy the T grips, but im too high time preference to mail in my payment and wait for them to come in the mail lol

Fuck Tyler. This dude ships fast as fuck and I prefer the feel of the synthetic over aluminum.

bkgrips.com/?page_id=12

Attached: 100_2511.jpg (2048x1536, 885K)

I shoot/sometimes carry the snubbies. I'm just a huge fan of older Smith's, I've gone through quite a few of em just not 49s yet.
Yah, gets outstanding gel block penetration tho which is a big concern when dealing with snubbies, especially lower weighted ammo. Heavy clothing/fat/muscle/bone can deflect or shatter lighter stuff, especially since it's not moving full potential. That's why I like the old 158 LSWC, they're reatively heavy, well made, and push through. That's just my preference tho, you're right there are some formidable .38 rounds out there I hear the Federal HST .38 is decent as well

Ill give a try once I get some cash. Saving up for an ak brace atm.

Then go with the 49. Really unique shooting experience considering you can get an extraordinarily high grip on it because of the humpback. Gives it a low bore axis for a revolver.

Might give them a try next time I get another revolver. Weren't the old T grips steel? I know you can probably find them online. I also tried a Packmayhr grip adapter, it was plastic or rubber. Looked nice, but nowhere near as comfortable as T grip.
>He's the guy with the gold cylinder that always triggers people
Nice lookin snubbie, looks classy for a newer Smith

That's the choice old guys used to have to make because no one was making snub optimized rounds. That's why a lot of old timers carried their snubs loaded with wadcutters. What's funny is the trend is kind of going the other way. I wouldn't shoot those HSTs out of a 4" gun because it would open too fast and not penetrate enough. I definitely use the federal 158 +p lswchp in a 4" gun.

No aluminum you can still get them but like other user said there's no webshop so it's kind of a pain in the ass compared to how easy BKGRips makes it. Only way to get the funky colors/polished finishes though it that's what you're after.

What are you carrying in that 49?
Definitely kept my eye open haven't seen one on Armslist or gunshows the last year. Maybe month will be the month

forgot link...

t-grips.com/

>He's the guy with the gold cylinder that always triggers people

For my next trick I'm in progress on a Fitz Special...waiting on a kit to install a ball and detent to fix the crane lockup because 1950s bubba cut this British war horse a bit too short for safety. Already bobbed the hammer though...

It's an aluminum M38 and I got HSTs in it. They say +P and I'm sure they are but my 158gr practice loads recoil more...

Attached: 100_2533.jpg (2048x1536, 704K)

Attached: 100_2534.jpg (2048x1536, 485K)

OP if you absolutely insist on buying new, get a GP-100, maybe a Match Champion model if you want something a bit more slick (Ruger triggers are normally a bit crummy out of the box).

Really though you should at least look at a used classic Smith, I have bought two different 28-2s for $400 each and the level of crafstmanship/quality is fantastic. It's not just sour grapes because they're cheaper, they are legit not made like they used to be. The older guns have character too and let's face it, character is a big part of why people buy revolvers in the first place.

Attached: fuddshit.jpg (1632x1224, 728K)

Oh and for anyone who cares you can read J.H. Fitzgerald's 1930 "Shooting" online for free. He basically invented.popularized snubs. There would never have been a Detective Special without his Fitz customs. Just click on the chapter names to read that chapter. Other old gun books on the site too.

sportsmansvintagepress.com/read-free/shooting-table-contents/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitz_special

Thoughts on Korth?

Attached: 2aa_jpg-707529.jpg (540x423, 29K)

I'VE GOT THE POWER OF GOD

Please stop pretending this is irrefutable evidence that that L frame is significantly stronger, or that it matters at all when you're talking about the durability of a .357 magnum.

Also, "up to .44 special" is just a dumb thing to say, considering it runs at less than half the max pressure of .357

New smiths aren’t so bad

Attached: E02CCDE9-5FED-44B3-ADFF-0A861DD938CC.jpg (3264x2448, 1.9M)

Nice lookin grips

>The 686 is stronger
>I know it’s been memed here for a few days but L frames come in .44 magnum, gp100s only go up to .44 special
You're a fucking moron.

OP HERE
So I’m going out to handle a gp100 and 686 tomorrow. I’ve only shot a 686 twice and liked it but idk if it was a pre or post lock.

Either way, what’s the difference besides recoil in shooting .38s over .357s? Will they be less accurate? If so, by how much?

Attached: 1A614444-0D8D-439D-87A9-379ED45729A2.jpg (1125x1077, 783K)

>Either way, what’s the difference besides recoil in shooting .38s over .357s
Depends on the load desu. Really hot 357 will be much sharper, but still bareable in a large frame revolver, especially with rubber grips. Not sure on accuracy, but Id imagine .357 would typically be more accurate, but a more knowledgeable user should chime in on that.

Are redhawks good? Was thinking about getting a double action 8rd 357 redhawk

Attached: 16378C1A-E3A0-4A39-9EF3-AA801C41AF6F.jpg (400x250, 9K)

ruger revolvers are great

I'd get a gp100 match champion tho

almost no video reviews except one and the guy's is a fucking lemon. I wanted pic related too but am now worried about making the risk to buy one as no one stocks them in Australia and they'd need to be ordered in just for me

youtube.com/watch?v=04eUJ1MIjvM&t=578s

Thanks, they’re altamont conversion grips

stop making these fucking threads faggot, just buy the ruger.

Attached: harrel_finger.png (254x286, 127K)

>686 is stronger
No it isnt. Are you the fag from the other day claiming this shit? Or is this a newfag meme?

Get some buffalo bore ammo for it, get a smith and Wesson

buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=541

This almost equals the max 10mm loads out there ;)

Ruger:
>has a double action .44 mag
>has a single action .44 mag
>makes a new double action .357 mag
Why also chamber within. 44?
Smith:
>here's a .357 mag
>let's ram .44 into it and hope it dont esplode
I remember telling you this shit in a thread a few days ago, obviously you're retarded.
Look at any God damn reloading book, there are loads safe for rugers that are not safe in Smiths you fucking mong.

Attached: 1018181905.jpg (2560x1280, 1.52M)

Show me one case of a model 69 exploding retard

Even if you slack jawed apes were right about the Ruger being able to survive some trivial amount more rounds, the smith still has better fit/finish, balance and feel.

>the smith still has better fit/finish
This hasn't really been true for years. When you pay more for a Smith you're literally paying for marketing and nothing else.

>"Custom ammunition manufacturers even have loads made specifically for Ruger revolvers that cannot fit in shorter chambers or revolvers of weaker construction (such as the Smith & Wesson Model 29). This makes the Redhawk popular as a bear defense gun among hunters and trappers."
>revolvers of weaker construction (such as the Smith & Wesson Model 29)
Smith & Wessoyboys blown the fuck out

OH NO NO NO NO
HOW DO WE RECOVER S&WROS????

By being way more sexy

Attached: CC97E73F-05CC-4160-8192-1AB5826FC5F8.jpg (2100x1575, 727K)

That's why you only buy pre 82 SWs, patrician choice

Miculek is still a competitor. Still the best revolver guy in the world.

I firmly believe that if someone made a better gun for his purposes, he would use it instead. He's high speed as fuck.

I did alot of research on the gp100 a year or so ago and they seem to be a pretty reliable piece for the price and for the long haul. My gfs stepdad picked one up by chance and i got to shoot it last june. My gf enjoyed it and had no complaints about kick or power. Shes 5'1" and has tiny fuckin hands. The barrel was around 5-6" and she was a crackshot at about 20 yds. Played with the cylinder a bit and it was smooth in release and mobility but when it closed it was very secure. I still want one for myself but that will have to wait till after im done with my shotty.

>dad gives me a 10-8 for christmas
>shot it today
>almost no recoil
>single action trigger nicer than any of my rifles, even the higher end bolt guns
>buttery double action
>reloading is fun instead of boring
>points very naturally
I guess I'm a revolverfag now.

I'm 90% sure it's all one guy.

*as long as you're willing to mail it back to them and wait 2-4 weeks for them to unfuck it
Like, it's not even a matter of inspecting it throughly before you buy it, since the replacement would just have something else wrong with it.
When you buy new S&Ws, you are the QC department, which sucks.
I'd gladly pay an extra $150 or so per gun if it meant being able to reasonably expect it to work properly straight out of the box.
At least their warranty service is good.

Attached: IMG_0391.jpg (2000x1824, 453K)

Current production 29-10s and 629-6es are sturdy enough to withstand a steady diet of any .44 Mag ammo that'll fit in the cylinder, which is admittedly a bit short for extremely heavy bullets loaded within a hair's breadth of max OAL.

Manurhins are just as good and half as expensive.
gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/pistols/manurhin/manurhin-mr73-nib.cfm?gun_id=101072143

Attached: Y04XkPB_zpsg2ffzdek.jpg (1024x682, 79K)