Hey Jow Forums...

Hey Jow Forums, in my Uni course ( taking American Studies ) we began talking about Waco and how it heavily influenced the political climate in terms of gun control nowadays in the US, any Americans want to help me with this?

And yes I am a Euro

Attached: 1506965700944.jpg (1280x718, 181K)

heaven's gate church wouldn't have been possible without waco

What the fuck kind of useless qualification is that

Ah no no I worded it wrong, inside Political Theory there is this course in "American Studies" that we could choose for the credit system.

Gun owners are slightly uncomfortable with submitting to enforcement agencies that display incompetence and a callous disregard for human life. The fact that critical pieces of evidence "go missing" only makes things worse.

Next question?

how?

There were many ways in which the waco conflict could have been safely handled, but the federal government at the time wanted to flex. They did flex and the end result was 76 people died fiery, extra-judicial deaths.
Waco showed a lot of people that their government would rather drive tanks over their charred corpses than risk looking weak on the news. To this day it's still common to hear people point out waco or ruby ridge when they hear someone asking why people NEED guns.
If you ever want to troll an FBI agent irl just ask them what the rules of engagement were at ruby ridge. They loose their shit every time.

Personally, I don't think Waco had much influence on gun control.... it was more about liberty and freedom to be who you are and do what you want.

The gun control aspect comes in when you think about defending your right to be who you are and do what you want.

The folks at Waco weren't violent... they didn't shoot up schools, or malls, or kill anyone that i am aware of... they simply stood their ground and defended what they believed in (while in there own home). Right of wrong they simply met force with force, and paid the price.

Personally, I think they were nut-jobs... but I'm sure there are those that might look at me and think the same.

Firearm ownership allows me the ‘option’ of defending myself. (And by extension my family, my possessions, my city/state/country, etc.)
I am unaware of a single period in history where violence did not exist… be it man vs. beast, nation vs. nation, or simple one man thinking he is entitled to another’s resources.
I think if you take a look, you will discover that the most violent offenders are governments that force their ideals on an unarmed populace. All laws are enforced at the point of a gun and threat of death if you do not comply..
Are there people I believe should not own firearms? Yes, there are, but I will accept that burden in order to retain my own rights. There are people who should not drive, people who should not procreate, people who should keep their opinions to themselves…. At least there is strength in diversity.
Gun control is about people control. You will not end violence, only change its outward appearance…. And I for one, will not deny my children the option of defending themselves in exchange for a false sense of security.

This, it's basically a symbol of just how little a sensible American should trust the Federal government.

Why don't you do your own homework you red-anus eurofaggot

Media said he was molesting the young girls, one of the reasons they went in on them. But no investigation was had because they burned them up.

Fuck of you fat riddled cunt I enjoy people that have honest opinions even if they call me a faggot

best response you'll get

>All laws are enforced at the point of a gun and threat of death if you do not comply..
This is objectively false

Do you enjoy being wrong

If you're arrested in the UK you aren't held at gunpoint or shot at for fleeing unless they suspect you have a firearm (which rarely happens and even if, they would give you enough of a chance to turn yourself in), there is no crime punishable by death, no threat of death for not complying with the law
Even if you're arrested for murder they don't point guns at you or call armed response or any firearms trained officers unless they have reason to believe you have a firearm (hardly ever the case)

Literally every law is everywhere. If you think it isn't, go shoplift a candy bar and see how long you can stay out of jail before someone with a badge just fucking shoota you.

lol go out into the street with a knife and tell the police your about to start stabbing people and I bet my last worldly fiver cops with guns show up. I fucking bet. Nigger cops with guns show up here all the time, they aren't taking any chances. I saw them on the M5 forcibly stopping a car with guns in rush hour traffic. They don't fuck about.

Waco and Ruby Ridge were watershed moments in the relationship between the US government and a sizeable (albeit minority) proportion of the citizenry.

The people that got swatted weren't necessarily the most normal ones (Weavers were religious recluses who were rubbing shoulders with a neo nazi group and BDs were a literal cult), but that's not the point. The government went beyond doing it's job to seeking vaguely iffy people out and making examples of them in order to make themselves look good and leaned heavily on character assassination to justify it after the fact. More worryingly it actually worked, because a lot of people (mostly left-leaning) believe that the Waco seige and Ruby Ridge were totally justified and all of those people did deserve to die not because the government followed due process but because those people were bad anyway.
There is a critical distinction to make here. People are willing to sleep comfortably at night knowing their government went and killed people it didn't need to kill just to make itself look good because they think they didn't like the people that died. They don't make the further connection that this could later be used to justify killing someone they do like and everyone would be OK with that too. This is an erosion of due process that fundamentally undermines the stability of American society.

This is a facet of a broader, ongoing culture war between left and right. Increasingly, both sides want the government to side-step due process so long as it's used to batter the opposition, for instance a lot of people were screaming for the more recent standoff at Bundy Ranch to be handled with a drone strike. I bet a lot of people here on Jow Forums would love to see local PD machine-gun Antifa when they come out and protest.
Government is happy to go in that direction because it gets more funding and power to act in its own interests with impunity and it gets that power through enthusiastic public support.

Attached: bundy_bridge.jpg (720x405, 114K)

Understand that the trend has been by en large from the left to support government power being used to batter fringe right groups, but this is starting to change. In the last couple of years the right is increasingly adopting the same rhetoric in response, which is a huge problem because it can create a feedback loop.

Again, government is happy to roll tanks and stack body bags so long as people support it doing so. Trend is moving in favor of this. Government power over life and death is now a tool in a broader culture war between left and right.

Traditionally following Waco/RR it has been the people on the fringe right arming themselves/forming militias as a defense against tyranny from the government (or just mob violence), but now the fringe left does it too (John Brown gun club for instance).

This is one of those factors that has a lot of people talking about a potential second civil war in the US. Such talk was only heard in shady internet groups/f2f in the 90s/2000s but is discussed openly on nightly news today.

Could be sore loser syndrome from the lefties because they lost to Trump, which could mean a return to status quo if a democrat wins in 2020 or it could mean a general trend towards a deterioration of the republic as a whole. Recognize that the last US civil war was foreshadowed by decades of political strife, local violence between citizens/militias and various iffy government actions motivated by disparate voter bases.

Attached: 011.jpg (895x594, 349K)

well actually it didn't

Europeans are frighteningly ignorant about a lot of this stuff. I've met Leyden law graduates who insisted that they had never heard the term "negative rights."
Find the documentaries (they should be free on YouTube) In Search of the Second Amendment and the two Waco docs narrated by a woman and using direct footage. A lot of European mass media is Soviet-level propaganda.
I don't know that Waco had any effect at all on gun control one way or the other. The State attempted to aggressively overreach, screwed up, and then shifted gears to a more gradual strategy of creeping (which has to date been successful). Now they have miniature Wacos in the form of Emergency Protection Removal Orders.

... do you have one example of government power being used against leftists? They let that guy who was going to wreck an Amtrak train go home, they gave Eric Clanton probation for attempted murder.

Attached: 1520443444299.jpg (796x527, 63K)

The US is a proposition nation and the left as a matter of definition completely rejects the proposition.

This isn't legitimate. It was a ginned-up accusation dependent on a legally blind informant, and it wasn't their original basis for action, it was part of the later character assassination.
In all versions the ATF could have behaved like a law enforcement agency and rolled up, knocked on the door, and asked to see if Koresh was modifying ARs. They chose fire instead.

He went into town several times a week. They could have picked him up anytime. They wanted a show. They got one.

American studies? You're getting ripped off. You're going to be one of those dudes with $50,000 in debt, with like a bachelors in advertising and graphic design working as a cherry picker in a warehouse. That dude was basically dead on the inside. The system fucked him over, chewed him up and spit him out. And he was still a loyal bugman to the current ruling regime.

Look up "Rebel Yell Waco" - they actually got one of the survivors from the incident to come onto their program and discuss the situation.

>even if they call me a faggot

well you came to the right place then

>he doesn't know there is a difference between the title of your major and the title of 1 class you take that probably has nothing to do with your major

I took a class in college called Environmental Studies. I doubt you can guess what my degree was.

Are you retarded? This is basic bitch, 2012 Ron Paul tier shit. We've moved on from that, to philosophical justifications for right wing dictatorships, eugenics, and hereditarianism. Do you still watch the Amazing Athiest and Young Turks on YouTube or something?

ethics, geography, anthropology, policy, politics, urban planning, law, economics, philosophy, sociology, social justice, planning, pollution control and natural resource management. None of those look appealing, or of any use apart from law - which would be the most useful and applicable to our current political climate. Hope you didn't pay too much for it.

I was right, you can't guess what my degree was.

Have you ever been on a college campus? Or know anyone who has? You're there for four years. You take something like 40 classes to graduate. Not all of them have to do with your major. Why are you whining about some guy taking 1 bullshit class?

>natural resource management.
>None of those look appealing

city faggots plz GO

Attached: 1516767372070.jpg (719x495, 34K)

"government power" is a continuum. I don't have a shoot-the-dogs-and-burn-the-kids story, but pic related definitely meets your stated requirements.

Attached: seriously.jpg (555x370, 149K)

Because you're paying an exorbitant amount of money for 1 bullshit class? That you think is bullshit and has nothing to do with your major? Dumb shit like this, which they shouldn't be doing and is a waste of your time? Just so some professor in some worthless field can keep his or her 6 figure salary? You're not exactly college material, yeah? But they'll let anyone in, if you're willing to part ways with your money.

Reading about Waco and Ruby Ridge in my teen years (30 y/o Boomer here) pretty much permanently radicalized me on 2A and issues of state power. 2A exists to let you make enough noise on the way out that they have to listen.

Attached: ruby_ridge.jpg (1000x803, 119K)

I spent four years having sex with teenagers and learning stuff that interested me. Oh and I also took 1 class that was kind of silly. I have no regrets. You sound pretty upset about it though

>My source was Anonymous on the Jow Forums board. I hear some of them have guns now.

Unless you enjoy repeating courses I recommend that you learn how to do proper research from sources that aren't naked men covered in cheeto residue.

What? I can only imagine what the high quality people who constitute the Forest Service, Beauru of Land Management and other such entities are like, after receiving their mandatory white men are evil and chop off your own penis to become a "woman" courses. I wish this board has flags, so I could tell if you're from the US or not. You're probably not. 90% or more of government employees are libshits. No fucking respect for them.

Wow, paying money to do shit you could've done for free. You sound like you're trying to justify your investment to me, but whatever makes you sleep well at night.

Waco had nothing to do with gun control. Modern gun control starts with the Cleveland Elementary School Shooting. That Stockton, CA shooting also coincides with the beginning of California's decline.

Yeah that's totally the same thing as getting four hundred years in prison.
>your stated requirements
Way to just barely slip through.

Interestingly, people joked about that being an op from day one.

I'll have you know I'm wearing boxers and a tshirt. And eating funyuns

That's interesting about both sides wanting to toss out the current system of american government in order to be free from its constraints so they can freely escalate the culture war. Or even encouraging the government to violate its own rules as long as it helps their side.
This trend is obvious in things like "sanctuary states" for illegal aliens, states with "firearms freedom acts," and states that have legalized drugs in spite of federal laws.
Imo none of this would be a problem if the current federal government actually followed the constitution as written. That is to let every state be it's own tiny country, and keep federal powers limited to those which are specifically enumerated in the text. If this was done then the federal government would be sending in troops to california to enforce federal constitutional control of immigration and importation, the federal government would have virtually no power to restrict guns due to the second amendment, and drugs would be solely a state-by-state issue thanks to the tenth amendment.
So many problems in this country stem from the federal government slowly but surely getting too big for its britches.