How 2 git gud w/ snub nose

My brother swears his snub .38 spl cannot hit anything at all at ~10 yards or more and I think otherwise. It's a hammerless taurus I think. The trigger pull is heavy but aint that bad. The sights are pretty big, of course with combat only in mind. I still like to think it could hit a.12"x20" silhouette at maybe 25 yards. Going to shoot it this weekend. How can I train for this? Going to dry fire practice a lot, but I'm thinking have an extra firm grip, for the extra trigger pull weight?

Attached: image022.jpg (346x330, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Tipton-Snap-Caps-Special-Magnum/dp/B0048KFHKQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546388525&sr=8-1&keywords=tipton 38
youtube.com/watch?v=UZsber37rKU
youtube.com/watch?v=pj3IJQFvBqE
youtube.com/watch?v=EgLDiduYlnY
ballisticsbytheinch.com/
ballisticsbytheinch.com/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

My bad, it does have a hammer. I assume cocking the hammer always results in lighter trigger pull and better accuracy? Here's my silhouette shot @ 25 yards

Attached: Screenshot_20190101-090849.jpg (1080x2340, 1.65M)

Try making the barrel longer.

Buy like 300 rounds of cheapo .38 and just take your time at the range with it till you shoot off all 300.
Keep a firm, high grip.
Practice in DA because thats what youre going to be carrying it in.
Use the SA to double check to make sure its not the gun if you are getting bad groups.

>cannot hit anything at all at ~10 yards
either Taurus is at it again with their S U P R E M E quality or he really fucking sucks

Alright sounds good. I'll probably start @ 5-7 yards and just see if it does anything wonky, he swears it just spits lead out the sides and there's no way to be accurate. The cylinder doesn't wiggle or anything, feels pretty solid. High grip ok.

I'm able to cover a group with my hand at 25 yards with my Smith snubby, single action. Double action every shot is on a 12x12 paper. I have stubby hand and I can get a great grip on it.

Had a Taurus, I was nearly as good with it. Takes a lot of practice and patience. The hardest part for me was sight alignment with such a short sight radius.

Are you using the same type of ammo? You're not just mixing random hp/fmj/wadcutters and stuff?

Anyway at 10 yards you shouldn't have trouble seeing what you're shooting at. If you're using the same batch of ammo. Consider stepping a little bit closer first or mark your target so you can point your gun at it exactly consistently where you want, even if you have to reset and get off target get right back on to that spot. See where the group turns out. If it's not working then consider adding a larger target something like a cardboard backing that's a lot larger and see if it's shooting way off. Chances are he's aiming at one spot and trying to walk it to the center instead of actually figuring out where groups go. The trigger pull sounds heavy compared to everything else but a double action you should be able to lift that amount of weight with your pinky unless you have a physical disability or you're a female. It's like opening a jar or pulling a wine cork. It's difficult for some people but other people can do it real easy. It's only heavy compared to other pistols. If you do dry fire a lot a double action the difference in pull weight vs a striker fire is that it typically has the kind of slop a striker does but there is some pressure behind it most of the pull, not just some total slop now im getting to feel a bit of pressure on the pull after a while. It's just more consistent and it's really difficult to tell what's heavier. Lighter stuff with less pull time almost requires a jerk for smoothly staging it compared to a good double action. The weight shouldn't be an issue. Just making sure you put the sight at about the right exact same spot every time when you think it's about to go off imo.

Your brother is maybe exaggerating a little because he's a bad shot. I can relate. But you might shoot it well. 38 is easier than .357. A full size revolver is more fun to shoot though

Your brothers a bitch, I hit 25 yards with the hottest 38spl on the market out of a snub smith 637
Buffalo bore 158+p lead semi wadcutter hollowpoints. Those things are thumpers and noise makers but the hardest hit plus p on the market. Tell your bro to get gud.

Attached: 20181203_170703.jpg (2576x1932, 1.31M)

Dryfire practice. Lots of it. Use snap caps like this:

amazon.com/Tipton-Snap-Caps-Special-Magnum/dp/B0048KFHKQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546388525&sr=8-1&keywords=tipton 38

You want to be able to pull through the DA trigger without the sights moving. Go slow. Release the trigger at the same rate you pull it keep sights aligned. Speed will come as your muscles git stronk.

Pic related is 8ish yds, 5 rounds slow fire on left, 50 rds rapid fire on right.

Attached: 100_2440.jpg (2048x1536, 520K)

He's a moron. It's a myth as old as time, he just has gunning-kruger and thinks he's shooting properly.

is that HP wadcutter rounds? if so, do they expand sufficiently?

youtube.com/watch?v=UZsber37rKU

There is an easy way to determine if the gun is not accurate or if the shooter is not accurate

Stabilize on a bench or rest don’t let the gun move. If point of impact is point of aim, then the shooter is the problem

Attached: 339BB4D7-130F-4EF9-8978-CF796623B667.jpg (640x480, 50K)

This is terrible advise.
If you are shooting poorly, then you will simply reinforce all of those bad habits

Practice does not make perfect
Perfect practice makes perfect
Learn the 4 fundamentals of marksmanship
Make sure you are doing it correctly
And then go shooting.

Dry fire practice is good with pic related
If the penny falls off when you pull the trigger, then you are doing it wrong.
Don’t reinforce those bad habbits

Attached: 700C9A78-2529-4DBC-A987-4BB47B5FE874.jpg (600x400, 112K)

Thanks a ton dude

I can consistently ring 12" steel at ~50 yards with my 442.

>This is terrible advise.
It's not terrible advise. How do you think the fundamentals of marksmanship were even developed? Shooting a fuck ass ton of bullets.

I'm not trying to knock formal instruction, but you can tell/show/teach someone something all day without them ever grasping it. If someone can't figure out how to hit what they're shooting at after several hundred rounds, there's no fundamentals of help for them.

Agreed. Archery would be a case where bad practice will never result in better shooting, but do enough plinking and you will improve with firearms

Why would you want to be able to hit anything past ten yards with a snub nose revolver? Most cases of armed self defense occur at point blank range.

Does that P938 work well? I've been tempted to get one but that sig qc seems iffy

The short barrel on this gun is not inherently more or less accurate than any other revolver. This is common fuddlore. The biggest issues that I see with people shooting them is flinching, not being proficient with the DA trigger and poor follow through. Generally bad shooting techniques.

I own 4 J frames and they all taught me that aiming and squeezing through the shot takes practice and attention but it isn't especially hard. The skills translate to other handguns, it is just that this is gun where your level of suck will be quickly uncovered. These guns aren't forgiving like their larger counterparts. They will unapologetically magnify your faults. In turn, I have also learned that they can hone them.

The reward for mastery is a snubby that you can draw and put lead on target very, very quickly. We are talking hip and point shooting with a gun that can put a serious thump on a bad guy. I only carry all steel snubs in 357. The steel mitigates recoil a lot. I worked up to hot full power ammo with reloading, worked on trigger control, follow through, staging the trigger and eliminating flinch. I even load wax bullets and practice with a shot timer in my backyard. Ever trying to make a draw and shot faster and more accurately at the same time.

So yeah, learn the fundamentals and work on learning to stage the trigger, have good follow through and possibly evaluate your equipment. In my opinion, the 38, 38 +P guns are adequate but where the platform really shines is proven man stopper 357 loads, if you can handle them in this package.

Attached: Left-Side.jpg (425x283, 98K)

>snubs in 357

Are retarded. Enjoy your 9mm ballistics just with more recoil, report and muzzle blast.

Mainly pay attention to how you're gripping the pistol. Does your, or for that matter his, hand jerk to one side when you pull the trigger? Even slightly? That can really fuck up your aim with a smaller handgun. Not to mention if you don't have a firm grip on a small pistol it's going to be snappy.
youtube.com/watch?v=pj3IJQFvBqE

>ur wrong
>dont shoot to get better at shooting
Fuck off pseud bitch.

Dead wrong there, Timmy. I know you learned everything you know from the youtubes but damn son, you are gullible.

Here, chew on some logic. I know it's hard but it's the only way to cure your autism.

youtube.com/watch?v=EgLDiduYlnY

Yeah a 357 snub is much more than a 2" 9mm in recoil and blast...because it has much more horsepower. Please have experience before posting, it is group think at it's worst.

Attached: l-21807-wrong.jpg (700x700, 22K)

Lawls you posted that boomer faggot...

ballisticsbytheinch.com/

Put a target on your wall, dryfire practice constantly. It takes a lot of practice to acclimate to long double action triggers.

Oh, look, it's a retard who doesn't understand a 2" revolver actually has ~3.5" of combined barrel and cylinder.

You're too stupid to realize how stupid you are. Sad.

Compare the 2" 9mm to the 3" 357 or the 4" if that makes you feel better...357 out of a sub 3" barrel is for brainlets who can't into math.

ballisticsbytheinch.com/index.html

>calls someone gullible for watching youtube videos but references a youtube link
No wonder you species lost vietnam and get farmed by kikes on a daily basis

Attached: 9F9C486D-0CE4-4A04-AEB9-82647626EA81.jpg (866x900, 124K)

>Compare the 2" 9mm to the 3" 357 or the 4" if that makes you feel better...
Nah, let's compare 4" to 4":
9mm Cor Bon 125 gr. JHP +P
>4" 1226 fps

.357 Cor Bon 125 gr. JHP
>4" 1496 fps

You were saying something about brainlets who can't into math?

So punishing recoil( no fun to practice with slower follow up shots), ear bleeding report(inb4 all guns are loud) and blinding muzzle blast(self inflicted flashbang!) for a 200ish FPS gain is you idea of a good exchange?

357 out of a snub is retarded.

I am awful with snub nose revolvers. Can't hit SHIT.

The math says almost 50% more energy.
As to whether it's worth it... well, that's a question of judgment, not math. The fact is 9mm (or honestly, .380) is already "good enough" for typical defensive encounters, so .357 doesn't necessarily make sense in ANY barrel length.

Don't thank me unless it works. Get him a bigger target and try to have a really easily market spot he focus' on and find where he's grouping. You can fix his aim from there and start doing more fun shooting after. I'd just figure out why his shooting is off first then worry about improving it.

357 is a victim of current year imo. Revolvers are really only a good choice over an auto when they are very small or very large. High cap autos rule the middle ground of belt-carried self defense. 44mag is better magnum woods gun and 357 out of snubs is stupid so it's kind of a caliber without a use in current year. It was tits when revolvers were king of the handgun world but not so much now.

>bullet power measured with more horsepower
Can you elaborate on how this works, im genuinely curious as to what your reasoning is there

Attached: 1545071848457.png (427x507, 315K)

This really makes me wonder why triggers and
guards stick out so far. Trigger guards are nearly always so unergonomic to try to grip that they're just practically in the way if you're trying to two hand a thing even though they're shaped in a ASP configuration to do that.

Attached: pix458956686.jpg (640x342, 89K)