Milsurp Rifles in .308

What are some cheap milsurps in .308?

Attached: Finnish-Mosin-Nagant-M91-24-left.jpg (2500x417, 452K)

Spanish Mausers are still kinda common, and a lot were converted to .308 after the CETME was adopted.

Those spanish mausers that blow up. I think they covered some Ishapores that also blow up.

Define "cheap". For some a $500-800 Israeli Mauser is cheap. For some a $400 Ishapore 2A is too expensive.

Cheapest I currently know of would be a 1916 Spanish Mauser carbine with a 7.62 conversion but a lot of those are pretty rough, plus they are small ring actions so try to stick to lighter loads.

Ishapore Enfields, probably the "most fun most cool" foreign milsurp in 308

There's a lot of fuddlore about Ishy 2As blowing up but I have seen/shot/owned many and never seen any evidence. Ditto for small ring Mausers. It is prudent to stick with military ball loads and avoid the heavier/hotter commercial .308 loads that are out there just in case.

The one .308 conversion that I'd be genuinely too sketched out to shoot would be the Chilean conversions, since they widened out the barrels and sleeved the chambers rather than just making/fitting new 7.62 ones.

this is one of those holy war discussions

But basically 7.62 NATO != .308 Winchester

Israeli Mausers getting hard to find. Its a shame the surplus barrels have dried up. A new Israeli 7.62 K98 barrel on a Turk Mauser would be the best of a lot of worlda

Attached: IMG_3465.jpg (1537x2185, 673K)

>cheap
>milsurp
>2019
Choose any two.

Really any 98 action should hold up just fine to either 7.62 or full power .308, in fact I just recently snagged an FR-8 and am pretty happy with it but boy are those tough to find (a friend hooked me up with the deal).

Attached: IMG_20181206_134447.jpg (3456x4608, 3.38M)

Fr-8
Literally fake fuddlore.
They think the fr-7 and fr-8 were rechambered to 7.62 CETME so they can't handle 308 but they weren't. They were chambered in 7.62 nato.
I've yet to find anyone show proof of a converted Spanish Mauser blowing up.

>Those spanish mausers that blow up. I think they covered some Ishapores that also blow up.
I have yet to see one "blow up."

Small ring Mausers can't handle .308 is fuddlore and so is .308 being hotter than 7.62NATO.

Those Chilean Mausers would be okay. The US Navy rechambered some M1s to 7.62NATO and the only problem they had is sometimes the chamber adapter was ejected too. Plus, the carbines that were converted were rebarreled by the Chileans. It's just the rifles with the chamber adapter.

I know that standard velocity ~150gr .308 loads aren't really any hotter than 7.62 M80 ball and shouldn't beat up the action or anything, but I was specifically talking about some of the extra spicy durr huntan' loads.

An Enfield or small ring should probably be able to handle it, but I suspect the hotter stuff would be putting a lot of premature wear and tear on them. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. If I am feel free to educate me.

ishapoo's are kinda nice

Original action proofed to about 45,000 psi.

.308 is about 60,000 psi.

I just got one recently, too. I love this lil fella.

Attached: FR8.png (1128x440, 718K)

Wrong, you're confusing the measurement units, one of which is PSI and one of which is CUP. The numbers are different because the scales are different. It's like saying water freezes at a different temperature in Europe vs. the USA, which it doesn't.

Yours is a lot nicer than mine.
I have a bayonet for it too. It's lots of fun to dick around with.

Also what are the sight settings? I know the open sight is combat, or about a ~100yd zero but what are the other apertures? 200, 300, 400 or some other graduation?

>open sight is combat, or about a ~100yd zero but what are the other apertures? 200, 300, 400
Correct. Also if you haven't played around with dummy/practice rifle grenades, this is a great gun to do it with. Those gray plastic German blanks are cheap and rubber grenade dummies are like $30 on Service of Supply.

Mine had to be modified with a little tiny nub welded onto the grenade launcher ring due to an obscure destructive device law. I plan to file it back down when I leave CA and will then dick around with practice grenades.

It's a shame because we actually do have a lot of public land with which to play around with such things safely and the law is largely unknown/unenforced.

Weird. The ring for mine was actually completely missing so I had to buy a replacement.

Your flash hider was missing?

Attached: fr_8_ass.jpg (998x1600, 183K)

No, the grenade retention ring. That little snap ring that sits in a groove forward of your front sight. It keeps the grenade from slipping off when you don't want it to. I thought that was what you were saying had a spot weld or whatever on it.

Attached: FR-8-003.jpg (918x612, 52K)

I see.
My spot weld is on one of the rings on the flash hider. I can just grind it off or replace the whole hider assembly once I'm free of California. I suppose nobody is really looking over my shoulder if I did it now, but it's just not a very high priority. I bought it as a light rifle for scouting meets/innawoods. At least it's lighter than my M1A.

Where the fuck are these pictures coming from?

Oleg Volk
Professional photographer and gun enthusiast.

Attached: QT_w_MG42.jpg (1193x1600, 409K)

israeli mausers are pretty rad. Funny bit of history too.

Ishapore are stronger steel than smle my guy

Israeli Mausers
*rubs hands*

Just got a poo rifle for 450. I don’t regret

Attached: 1BB4207D-E1C3-40AD-BE58-01F76B4EC59B.jpg (4032x3024, 1.83M)

>Webley
Reeee all I’ve got is a tanker’s Enfield

Attached: F672A9D1-81A5-47AF-9F70-39EA80406AEC.jpg (1459x2209, 566K)

They’re both .455, and the mk5 is marked as Irish free state

I saw a very nice Israeli Mauser set complete with one of the 22mm grenade launchers for it. Prices for those things are getting dumb. :(