/meg/ - Military Enlistment General

Tan/k/er Edition

Previous LIEING ABOUT MEDICAL HISTORY = GOOD
LIEING ABOUT CRIMINAL HISTORY = THEY KNOW
>Do your own research to start, then come here for clarification.
>No vague questions, like "What job is best?"

pastebin.com/0K6MFcUZ
Guides to prepare for high-speed shit. (SEAL, Ranger etc.)

Resources:
Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff.

uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

airwarriors.com/community/
>Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/prerequ/woft.shtml
US Army High school to Flight school

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
>pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

>Should I go Navy Enlisted Nuke?
No.
i.imgur.com/FZ0Q9q4.png
tl;dr: Long hard school, to do shitty work, and the job prospects are a lie.

CG info
gocoastguard.com/family-and-friends/the-helmsman/required-knowledge

ASVAB for Dummys
mega.nz/#!XuhSWQgb!ycwEyBz1J-DZx_GOsAxmSQCduAImNuzTRswqfRb-x-w

READ THIS BEFORE ASKING CLEARANCE QUESTIONS
opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF86.pdf

Attached: 152342345234.jpg (1200x800, 166K)

What's it like commissioning into the national guard? Is the GPA requirement different? Are the slots more competitive? And about officer life in the guard in general?

im planning on going in the army infantry , any reason why i shouldnt? inb4 peacetime

Attached: 1480791829209 copy.jpg (480x600, 27K)

I’m in a bit of a rut lads. DEP is going well and I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little bit excited for the rate I got (HMDA), but lately I’ve been entertaining the idea of putting things on hold and taking some community college classes first. Home situation is a bit of a mess now though as well as being broke, and while I’d love to take any opportunity possible to do classes and shit once I become an official sailor tooth fairy I know I can’t bank on that to happen as well as I’d like. I’m not planning on making this a career though, so commissioning isn’t that big of a thing to me, but I also have some decent shit on my contract and I’m not sure if I want to give it all up, lest it just happens to be unavailable should I get out of DEP. Hope you enjoyed my vent of a blogpost though, just trying to get a general plan/guideline made.

>tanker edition
I signed as 19K with a Jan 26 ship date, and just now I'm hearing about how boring it is and how you don't really get to do tank stuff

Tell me it ain't so

Attached: 1524234220465.jpg (908x714, 99K)

>inb4 peacetime
peacetime. no seriously. do you want to be raking dirt and mopping floors for 4 years? you could pick a POG job that has transferable skills to the private sector and make money when you get out. Also, your knees will thank you later

I'm afraid it is so m8. Tankers don't deploy to combat these days (or anyone besides SOF for that matter). You'd better pray a war starts up somewhere

For yours and possibly my sake I hope not. Really leaning towards enlisting and I would love to be an Abrams crew member, but I asked in the last thread and everyone replied with "dont". If i were you I would go for Abrams Repairman (idk the mos number for it) At least that way you can work on them and then once your service is up you can go into the Civilian world with some bad ass mechanical skills

Like user said, only SF get to see action. If you go infantry, go airborne and try out for all the different schools. You may not get deployed but can learn some great combat/shooting/survival techniques which is what I mainly want from infantry. Deployment these days is like a gift or something it seems

How many enlistments would it take to get a college degree? I heard someone in here it can't be done in 4 years, so how many are we talking here?

why would you even consider that?
just enlist once as a pog, get bennies, use TA while in, use GI bill when out.

Is ranger regiment still doing things these days? It’s been a while but there used to be a ranger trip on here. Ricky ranger or something. Does he still pop in and give info/advice? Iirc he was not a Lone Ranger but in recon or something for them.

It can be done and it isn’t uncommon in any of the branches, even the marin crops. But that’s not to say it’ll be as easy as it is outside, you still have to deal with military shit on top of places like Devry and Uni of Phoenix hounding people out to eat up their TA and GI bill. Stick with regional and make sure whatever the fuck you’re doing is actually accredited and not just a glorified diploma mill. Expect a lot of online classes and less liberty time because of said classes. You can take some classes if you’re stationed near a school, but don’t count on doing that all the time. They got people to work with you as well to help balance things out, if only a bit, so don’t be afraid to get involved with that. But it is definitely possible to at least get some shit done while in, just gotta put in the effort.

I'm a gay man and I want to join the service. Is dating or displaying any signs of my sexual preferences an instant career killer? How about making friends? I'm not a flamer, I'm just a normal looking dude who likes to bang other dudes but has caught a lot of beatings for it in highschool

This.

If you want to take college coursework, see if the local community college that services your home of record BEFORE you enlisted offers online classes (most do). You will still qualify for in-state tuition, so in most parts of the US you can attend for pretty cheap (think $300 for a 3-credit hour course, or cheaper).

Getting your general education requirements for a Bachelors degree, or even an entire Associates degree, online is a much more realistic and attainable goal. That's shit like English Composition, Communications, College Algebra, or Psychology 101/102.

This is the best way to go about it. Just get your gen ed shit out of the way while you're in, and then when you get out, take all of the degree-specific courses and you'll finish your college tenure in 2-3 years instead of the full 4, and be making that sweet sweet bachelors money sooner

Am infantry, just arrived at my unit and have lost every single bit of motivation. As much as I want to just gut it out until I ETS, I think I will flip shit and stop trying altogether before then. Is there a way out? Transferring to NG? Fucking anything?

Listen to the guys who hound you about getting a pog job if you aren’t going SF/op40 etc. worst mistake of my life.

Attached: 38BCFE4E-D384-4CF4-B618-025AC7BE11D3.jpg (368x552, 73K)

what do EMs do on a daily basis?

I want to join the army to be a helicopter pilot, I have a 2.6 GPA and am just a little nervous about talking to the recruiter. Is there any advice anyone has about talking to them? I dont have any psych or drug problems and am in decent shape but could be better. I have read a ton of stuff, but just dont really have anyone to talk to about the process. Any advice would be awesome.

Attached: H-60M-Black-Hawk.jpg.pc-adaptive.full.medium.jpg (1280x750, 113K)

Are you doing WOFT or commissioning? 2.6 is not going to be helpful in either case

>dude who likes to bang other dudes
>normal
pick one only one

Thanks guys this sounds a lot more reasonable and obtainable I'll look into my local school

The days of massive armor units is long over, user. We'll still have armor units and what not for the sake of maintaining a capable conventional force, but you'll never see your skill set as a 19K ever really be used. Same for 19Ds in cavalry and armor units. Yeah, you'll do gunnery, drills, and other very kinetic shit, but at the end of it, your unit will sooner piecemeal you out to infantry units than let you drive your tracks in a real situation.

And I'll be honest, I pray that you never have to use a track in a real life situation, because that'll mean hell.

Attached: Abrams hull down.jpg (600x485, 47K)

Tanks are cool I guess

Which branch has the best cyber programs? Army or navy? I'm assuming airforce must be pretty good too and marines not as much.

not that guy, but army 17C is looking good rn

navy ctn, army 17c

Ill look into it thanks

Muhrines or Navy are up your alley, literally

I'm biased towards navy as it's the same job as a 17c with less retarded command.
I'm a marine equivalent of 17c or CTN and you'd be surprised at marine capability atm but it won't maintain at the current rate and is impossible to guarantee so just don't do it. You can't go wrong either way, the navy is just more about the job and less big navy than army is

I am applying to be a Navy JAG

I have used various drugs in the past and disclosed it on a previous SF-86 form for a job I ended up not getting. It was 5+ years ago and not very many times but it was more than just weed.

How fucked am I?

It gets easier. Stop being a pussy.

I want to commission, and I have talked to my friend who is an infantry officer in the marines, but they are super different. Idk I just want to know what to expect when I go in there. I am probably over thinking it and should just go. If not flight school I was looking at Ordinance armor and signal officer.

I'm enlisting as 25N and have a cat i don't know what to do with. My parents don't want him and I don't have any other family close by. I'd rather not give him away and abandoning him seems like a dick move. Has anyone done this before? What should I do?

I've always wondered how people manage this desu. I had a dog but left him at home.
pets just ain't conducive to big life changes like less severe children.

give him to a friend. if you have no other options you'll have to give him away. just not to a shelter because that's where psychopaths get animals to torture and they get put down if they arent adopted. maybe find a nice couple looking for a cat and youll feel better about it

I've left my cat alone for long periods of time with food and water, but this would be for way too long and he needs attention.
>Give him to a friend
All my friends are in different states and the only near me has a drug problem so I don't trust him with my cat.
>Maybe find a nice couple looking for a cat and you'll feel better about it
I said I'd rather not give him away Ill come back for him when I get out, but if I can't do anything else I'll do this.

>I'll come back for him when I get out
You're going to disappear for 4 years or more and expect someone to just take care of him and give him up because you asked?
I'm going to be the asshole and tell you that's not how this will work if you don't already know someone willing to do that.
if folks in other states are too much trouble for you then you're not doing your part to make sure your cat is as comfy as possible for the next 4 years. This stuff is never easy but that's part of joining. Better figure it out because there's no perfect solution and concessions must be made.

this. it seems like you have plenty of people you can give him to but you can't be bothered to travel out of state. stop being lazy shitbag and drive or else your cat is going to be living on the streets

>Are the slots more competitive?
yes

>wanted to ship at end of January
>All the doors for my mos are closed now
>Next soonest possible ship date is July 11

Someone hold me, I don't think I'm going to make it

Attached: 1545652363683.jpg (470x512, 159K)

dont be dissin street cats now

I'm going to be speaking with my parents later and I'll bring up the topic again. I think if I explain what could happen to the cat they'll understand. If not then I'll call my uncle in Austin and ask him; we were really close so I think he'll help me out.

If you get deployed and you're actually doing tank stuff, that probably means we're fighting a near-peer adversary most likely in a WW3 scenario. That would drastically lower your life expectancy during a fight to a matter of hours or minutes. My grandfather on my mother's side was a tanker during WW2 and he said it was one of the most terrifying things he's ever lived through.

I would imagine they're still stacking bodies, out there somewhere but not much is said about them. Rangers are honestly among some of the only groups of dudes that can be considered "quiet professionals" nowadays

I asked this in the last thread but never got an answer, and google is of no use- is USAREC affected by the govt shutdown? Been waiting on a waiver and I'm wondering if this is gonna effect my wait time. I'm sure it does but it can't hurt to ask, right?

>That would drastically lower your life expectancy during a fight to a matter of hours or minutes
Your odds wouldn't be any better in any other combat MOS

user i ask this every thread when someone is in the same situation: i can take the cat if you want me to i have experience with caring for animals and will take good care of him
>fighting a near-peer adversary most likely in a WW3 scenario
>drastically lower your life expectancy during a fight to a matter of hours or minutes
>My grandfather on my mother's side was a tanker during WW2 and he said it was one of the most terrifying thing's he's ever lived through
sounds bad ass

>I can take the cat if you want me to
Stopped reading there, I'm not going you give my cat man.

True, but I enlisted as a grunt figuring I'd at the very least feel way more mobile in a conflict like that.

Fuck being stuck in a gigantic metal coffin watching a platoon of T-14's or some shit begin to hammer your section. What a claustrophobic way to die.

His stories are bad ass but only because he managed to survive. Apparently they took a hit once and his driver was shredded by the spalling. They had to fight the rest of the engagement with a mutilated corpse in the partially-fucked tank

>Fuck being stuck in a gigantic metal coffin watching a platoon of T-14's or some shit begin to hammer your section. What a claustrophobic way to die.
Yeah I'd prefer to not be cooked alive in a tank

>fighting a near-peer adversary most likely in a WW3 scenario.
Not true. For example in Desert Storm the Armored forces needed to take on the Iraqi Republican Guard which had a pretty large tank force that needed to be wiped out

What other nation do you think has a military comparable Iraq during DS that the US would invade in 2019?

Hence my use of "probably". I'm no expert on geopolitics by any means but I figure if we invade another country that has armor capability nowadays, they're gonna be someone else's proxy state or a full on world power, which means shit would get real ugly real fast. Just my thoughts though, and like I said I don't really know jack shit about all those things. Just basing it off what I've seen in the news and other sources of ill-repute.

North Korea and Venezuela

I want to be a police officer will enlisting as an MP help me get into a department?

No. If you wanna be a cop and use the military as a stepping stone, infantry or SF are unironically better. PD's don't typically take on MP's because they've already been taught a whole different set of rules (UCMJ). Easier to work with a clean slate grunt who doesn't know any of that stuff and not have to make him unlearn everything before he can learn again

Also, everybody fucking hates MP's. They're professional buddy-fuckers.

Do Scout Snipers see action these days? I'm open to the idea of enlisting but I don't want to get stuck doing something lame. I want to kill

I gotcha, didn't meanto come off as a nay sayer if I did. I probably would have said the same thing up until a couple days ago. Been watching/reading about some Desert Storm and one video was talking about the tanks within the IRG and was some what suprised they had an armoured force in the first place. I get what you're saying with the WW3 thing though but chances are we'll probably go wipe out another 3rd world countries tanks before another big one kicks off

>chances are we'll probably go wipe out another 3rd world countries tanks before another big one kicks off

tfw enlisted with the hopes of at least being able to curbstomp some third worlders and get a CIB and maybe some neat stories but even now it's looking less than likely

Attached: 1489252266684.jpg (960x949, 57K)

Venezula would be a good idea because when WW3 starts it'd be the easiest way to take the war to the US mainland

Gay stuff like CQ duty and health and wellness checks go away once you hit the big army, r-right?

What do Cav Scouts do these days? Do they spend a lot of time with their vehicles or are they just janitors like infantry? I've always thought bradelys are cool

>"Dumbass army shit goes away once you get into the army, right?"

Oh my sweet summer child. We have such wonders to show you

Attached: 1543789062465.png (1520x1126, 1.59M)

Mwahahahahahahahaha

any combat MOS is doing jack shit right now unless its special forces. just so you know

Attached: goodbye.gif (460x304, 1.66M)

Oh we do a lot

Mowing, sweeping, mopping, filling sand bags, I could go on for fucking hours

where do rasp failures go now that they won't be airborne qualified? is it any random leg unit or are some more common than others?
t. 11b at pre rasp

are you disrespecting cuba or do you just not realize they exist

How easy is it to take online classes while in the coast guard? I’d assume it’d be easier than the other branches.

I will out process from the base to separate very soon. I am a bit anxious about life after the military. Going to college, getting a new job, etc.

>Need 3 references to join airforce who have known me for 7 years
>Can't use family
I don't even know 3 people outside family.

Attached: cri (4).jpg (1014x1024, 60K)

Don't be one of those guys who doesn't develop after his enlistment. You can either use the military as a springboard to start a better life or you can grow an operator beard, get fat, and bother people at the gun store.

Attached: exiting the military.png (1245x197, 33K)

don't fail out like a disrespectful pussy and you won't have to worry about it, user

Does your family have friends who have known you? I used one or two references like that if I remember right.

That's what I will try to avoid but I never did school or anything productive outside of my work for my 4 years in and I'm worried I won't do it when I get out and realize I can just eat like shit and lay back, grow out a beard, etc. I feel like I had more discipline going in the military than I do now that I'm going out. The forced discipline for years just made me grow to hate it and want to escape it and grow used to it being forced upon me. Once it's gone I'm not sure how I will do. I will do my best though so I'm not a disappointment to my family or on societies views of veterans, thanks user.

My family has friends that know of me, but don't know me.

Needs of the Army. Potential reclass too.

Just so you know "Needs of the Army" is a literal legit thing used by HRC in the Army. It isn't some rumor/gag.

better than no one

Not going to lie I’m pretty stoked about being a corpsman.

I'm trying to go EOD. Not too worried about dying, however If bad things happen and I get horrifically injured (say 70-100% disabled) would the military/VA/whatever take pity on me and keep supplying me with hydrocodone until I just accidentally overdose and finally die one day?

Are you getting a secret or a top secret? If you are a literal nobody (no offense) they will probably find out quickly after interviewing your family and you and will dig as deep as they can between your family and family-friends. There are lots of people with no friends who go through just fine.

Also, unrelated, I was in an Army psych ward twice if anyone is curious what it was like you can ask me as long as it's not questions asking about other people personally.

May I ask what you were in for?

I developed schizophrenia while I was in military and basically went insane without realizing it, thought command was trying to kill me, thought snipers were outside my room, etc. Woke up one day and entire body was covered in tons of cuts and I was weak and cold as fuck. Friends told me I was saying god was asking for me to donate blood for hours straight til 6 in the morning and had to go to doctor. I am being kicked out for it of course. Been in for 4 years.

Neither. I need 3 references to join the air force at all. Three nonfamily references that have known me for 7 years.

I doubt they will really care at all then. Just use family friends even if they know you by name only if that's all you can get. Ask your parents who knows you best outside of the family.

That sounds scary as shit man. Did you not remember any of that? I'm guessing it runs in the family or did stress overwhelm you?

Around age 24 is when genetically linked mental illnesses finally show themselves

Do psychological discharges, or whatever it is you got, give the same benefits as honorable?

This shit is my nightmare. I'd sooner go to war or take a bullet then this

Doesn't run in the family at all. Stress was definitely a factor of setting me off, even things as simple as trying something and failing and getting the military hard criticism made me think they were out to get me and wanted to kill me somehow, when my first few years in the military I never had issues with it. Was probably largely genetic and bound to happen based on what doctors tell me.

I was 21 when it started happening. Ya people joining the military at 18 when they won't be vulnerable to schizophrenia til they are in their 20s is a worrying thing.

Yes they will give the same benefits. I didn't go to the doctor for several months after realizing finally something was wrong with me because I wanted to finish up my enlistment and slip under the radar, worrying I would get a general discharge, but I started really getting bad and unable to tell when I was thinking rationally or not so went to doctor before I did something I would regret.

Also, yes, I remember most of it but it happened gradually over months/a year+ starting from simple paranoia to little whispers in my head to hearing (what I imagine was imaginary) banging on the doors, to full blown thinking god was talking to me and people were devils. I wasn't aware that I was ill or that it wasn't normal, much like I imagine a retarded person doesn't realize they are retarded fully. The meds really felt like a bat to the head when I realized I had just been delusional and hallucinating. The most embarrassing and depressing time of my life for sure.

I've a lot of family members with mental illnesses and I'm worrying that it'll get me one day and I won't realize it. Grew up around it when I was younger and it always freaked the shit out of me. You're a tough motherfucker and I hope you'll do better outside.

Do you have to have an EMT cert to be a combat medic in the army?

Rolling for war 19/k/ will rise again

Close pal

Yes, but if you don't have one that's okay, you get it during your AIT. If you already have it and it's current, you just skip that portion of AIT

no, but it helps. i dont know for sure, but i heard someone here say if you have your EMT you can skip the first portion of 68W AIT, which is just an EMT course

Anyone else on leave from ft benning basic know where to go in the atlanta airport when we get back? My company only put out to be there by 1800 on friday, nothing about how to get on a bus back.

What are some good reasons for joining the military which don't make you sound like a psychopathic nutjob, CoD kiddie, a military fetishist, a neonazi idiot or a total autist?
I'm german and the process of joining our military means first with a lengthy chat with the recruiter and later at the assesement center an interview with an officer and a psychologist, both of which don't want to fuck up.