So what conditions should you use dry lube or are they always bullshit?

So what conditions should you use dry lube or are they always bullshit?

I got one of those PC carbines. When I pulled it out of the box the thing was damn near dripping with gun oil. I cleaned it up good and strategically placed a few drops here and there and cycled the shit out of it and only a few surfaces actually rub. Everywhere else that has oil just gets gunked up. In my mind dry lube sounds great because it would just blow away whatever dry lube that gets on noncontact surfaces and just make it easier to clean. I'm just not sure if dry lube is worth a fuck or not.

Attached: 45399-DEFAULT-l.jpg (1350x700, 53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

parkermountainmachine.com/store/p395/PMM_Ruger_PC_Carbine_MLOK_RAIL-Pre_Order.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just apply Hoppes #9 to contact surfaces. Replace as needed.

A lot of guns will come soaking wet with oil because that's a way to make sure the guns don't rust during storage and shipping to the gun store. Once you get the gun you should do what you described and wipe down most of it, leaving lube only on those parts which have moving contact.

what's the point of using a powder solvent as a lubricant?

do you put soap in your car engine when it's time for an oil change"

Powder solvent is for helping break down tough powder buildup in hard to reach places. Also makes it so you have to run a brush through your barrel fewer times.

>Powder solvent is for helping break down tough powder buildup in hard to reach places
Yes, I'm aware of that.
I'm asking why use it as a LUBRICANT, which it seems rather ill-suited for.

You don't.

But they make dry lubricants too. It's usually a spray of graphine powder. Is that all a dry lube is for? Cleaning?

Attached: dl1.png (640x640, 264K)

>>I was being vague with my terminology.

Normally #9 refers to the solvent. I don't see a problem with using that dry lube product.

>> Is that all a dry lube is for? Cleaning?
No, lube is lube. I thought you were telling people to use the #9 powder solvent as a lubricant, which made no sense at all.

>retard doesn't know that guns are sent out with preservatives on them

Alright that's great guys but do any of you have any experience with dry lubes? The only time I've used it is on locks and it's pretty much magic on crusty and stiff locks but guns are a totally different beast.

Attached: 1528491225486.png (480x452, 222K)

Post Ruger Carbine setups. Pic related, the most fun at the range that I've had in a while.
>Trijicon 1-4x scope
>free floated forend
>cheapo bipod and sling

Attached: PC9 Carbine.jpg (1885x1060, 1.2M)

Well I'm at work otherwise I'd post a picture but I got a dot and a flip to side magnifier. I just got the cheapest one I could get off amazon so it's a bit crusty but I like it so much that I'll probably start saving up for a better setup for it. Still need to get it's companion pistol for it. Kind of want an SR9c but we'll see how I feel after I save up a little more cash.

I have zero experience with bipods though. I kind of want one but I don't know anything about them. Would getting the cheapest one that I can find be perfectly fine or is there some real good quality that comes from spending a little extra on them?

>Repeat after me
>Cosmoline is my friend
>It protected my gun

Have you taken the barrel off since you zeroed the scope and if so, how much did it fuck with the zero?

This sounds interesting, I would like to see a pic of this setup. I'm not a huge fan of the slide-to-the-side magnifiers but I see the utility. Cheap bipods are fine for light use at the range, but if you want to take it out into the field, spend some more cash on it. The $30 and $40 cheap ones will do ok for light use. Also, if you want a pistol to go with your carbine, I would recommend the Glock route instead of the SR9, but you do you.

>It's usually a spray of graphine powder
Graphite powder. Graphene is something completely different.

I have removed the barrel a number of times, and it locks back up tight, without any serious loss of zero. Mind you, most 9mm ammo is wildly inaccurate, and even off a bench, I can barely hold 2 moa at 50 and 100 yards with the PC9 (pic related). And this is after I free floated it, I was at 3 or 4 moa before the freefloat. Just like the takedown 10/22, the trick to getting it to stay zeroed upon disassembly is to get that little tension ring adjusted perfectly: you want it as tight as possible. Make it so tight it won't go back together, and then start loosening it one click at a time until it goes back together, and then leave it like that.

Attached: free floated pc carbine group.jpg (1055x1215, 793K)

>Make it so tight it won't go back together, and then start loosening it one click at a time until it goes back together, and then leave it like that.
Yeah. The gun told me to read the instructions so I did just that. Well, I put the barrel on, tightened it as good as I could, took it back off and gave it a few clicks and backed off until I could put it back on. Same difference.

I was out at the range with my dot and cheater getting it sighted in at 100 yards for funsies. I would get a random wild round but grouping was okay. I wasn't super happy with it at first but some guy was waiting for his son to reload his gun and turned his spotting scope on my target. Came wandering over to tell me I was to the right and we got to talking and he seemed impressed at the grouping when I told him it was 9mm so maybe I'm not as crappy as I thought.

It's nothing too special, just the cheapest combo I could find on amazon. Mostly got it for fun but I like it more than I expected. At least until the screws on the riser walked out on me. Optics are rather cheap though. The dot isn't very fine with the cheater on and although they seem perfectly clear on their own when I have both on it's pretty damn dark. Also they are just barely misaligned so I get some pretty fierce scope shadow unless I have my eye pressed against it which is no bueno. So, aside of being cheap it's a delightful little setup. I'll be spending a little more on one sometime soon.

Attached: MP3QHsB.png (652x346, 211K)

>Hop on amazon to see what I can find
>Some 19 dollar bipod
>All these poorly photoshopped shots

Well shit. At 19 bucks how bad can it be?

Attached: RRipfucORT26._UX950_TTW__.jpg (950x546, 123K)

Read reviews first, it's probably acceptable. I wouldn't expect it to be super tough though. For cheap bipod I usually get Caldwell ones, and they hold up pretty good.

Attached: free floated pc carbine.jpg (1488x1529, 1.06M)

What's the legality on monopods/bipods for handguns in the US?

What's the accuracy at 100 yards?

I can pull off some 2moa, but the average 100 yard group is closer to 2.5 or 3 inches. At 200 yards I can stay on a 6 inch plate pretty easily, I only miss 1 out of every 10 or 15 shots. This is all with bulk Federal 115 gr FMJ though, I guarantee this carbine can do better with better ammo.

That's more than fine for yotes.

Oh yeah, for sure. My favorite squirrel ammo is dropping about 2 inches from zero at 50 yards, and it does just fine (POA was the pink square, the red dot is the group's center).

Attached: Free Floated PC9 Carbine group.jpg (1058x1265, 847K)

Totally fine

Bipod are okay, but monopods that can be used as a foregrip get into a weird gray area.

How do you free float it? Just remove material that is touching?

Yes, the barrel has fins that run along it, and you need to cut away any material where these fins are touching, so that the barrel can flex in any direction and not touch anything. I did it with a serrated pocket knife, a plain edge pocket knife, a dremel, and some various shapes of small hand files. I did an ugly job, but it works very well.

Neat. I have a PC9 myself and I'm trying to push it as far as I can.

Okay, but why? Legit curious. I have the dumb.

Free floating can increase accuracy by removing variables, that's the most common reason. Another reason to free float is because when the barrel rubs on something, this can cause a point of aim/point of impact shift. This was my reasoning. My PC9 would shoot a well-centered group while standing, but it would shift about 4 inches to the right when it was bench rested. Something was putting pressure on the barrel. I no longer have this problem, and my groups tightened up a bit too.

Does anyone make a receiver mounted peep sight, or a Patridge style sight for these yet? I love my PC carbine, but I never warmed up to the factory ghost ring configuration. I'm using a receiver mounted red dot on mine currently.

Also has Ruger announced any new 2019 models?

Attached: pc-carbine-rail.jpg (1067x800, 244K)

>Reverse image search to figure out what was going on
>Find the post with it

This fucking guy.

Attached: dYR1QJE.png (1069x444, 622K)

It's not mine, so I have no experience with them.

>parkermountainmachine.com/store/p395/PMM_Ruger_PC_Carbine_MLOK_RAIL-Pre_Order.html

You power outlets looks like pissed off atomic bombermans

Spoiler: You're supposed to put them in that orientation.

Is it free floating? Looks good