Redpill me on recoilless rifles, Jow Forums

Redpill me on recoilless rifles, Jow Forums.
Hungary wants to buy a bunch of Carl Gustafs as part of our military modernization project.

Why would you use these instead of portable missile launchers? They have no guidance and homing capabilities and blow up any friendlies dumb enough to get too close behind you. What are the advantages?

Attached: Weapons_practice_(8480477446).jpg (1920x1080, 496K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=q6j9wEF1sf8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Cheep.

Well I mean it's pretty much a fucking tiny tank cannon.

>Why would you use these instead of portable missile launchers? They have no guidance and homing capabilities and blow up any friendlies dumb enough to get too close behind you. What are the advantages?

recoileless rifles are cheap
they cost a fraction of what guided missiles cost
they have far more range and payload than grenade launchers and are much lighter and cheaper than the javelin
they are also re usable, unlike the AT4

this combination of high explosive power, range, and cost make them excellent at infantry support
friendly fire is less of an issue with weapons in the direct fire infantry support role
and a vast majority of encounters do not require guidance anyways, your infrared sensor probably would not lock on to a machine gun nest or snipers perch

What he said
RR's are cheap and simple to use just like their man portable counterparts the RPG

Op you can have 2 AT4's or a 1/2dozen RR's with 20 cases of ammo to defend your base, in bumfuckia what would you choose?

You don't need guidance when you're just blowing up a house or whatever. Just point and shoot.

It's a lot like a rifle, but with minimal recoil

Hungary has been gearing up lately.

If you guys are getting CGM4's, those are set up with sight->round data link capability. And Saab are developing guided rounds for them.

Can someone wiser than me ilustrate the differences between SMAW and CG?

The first thing to come to my head is that SMAW rockets are self propelled but I don't really know.

The carl gustaf is rifled while the SMAW isn't. This means the carl gustaf is much more accurate. It also typically has a way longer range, and there are tons more ammunition variants available (such as illumination and smoke).

>The first thing to come to my head is that SMAW rockets are self propelled but I don't really know.
The main propellant for both these weapons burns out in the barrel.

hey, kinda new to the buisness, is that the same Saab company who made the cars?

Yes.

They have the same parent company, yes. I don't know their exact structure by heart though.

Saab used to make military aircraft
then they started to produce cars after WW2
They sold the car part of their company

They make aircraft parts too.

t. Fulfilling a contract for Boeing 777 parts that is ultimately Saab's but has like three additional layers of subcontractors under them.

Same aesthetic logo as well.

>They sold the car part of their company
To China I believe.

Attached: 2000px-Logo_Saab.svg.png (2000x692, 215K)

Gustaf per squad and javelin per platoon

Kek no

Why not

When the american wanted to reactivate their 106mm recoiless rifle to fight them mountain niggers in afghanistan (because AT4 lacked range and they didn't feel like wasting 50 grand on couple of talibs with rusty aks shooting a them from the mountain) they found out almost everything (the gun, munition and spares) were shipped to philippines/israel and they had to get some from former eastern european bloc countries

Sometimes you want some faggot dead without having to flush him from the building or APC he's hiding in, nor do you want to spend all that cash on a guided missile that can get the job done.
Ol' Charlie is perfect in those situations.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=q6j9wEF1sf8

Attached: Carl_Gustav_recoilless_rifle.jpg (2560x1703, 390K)

It's a beauty, isn't it?

in arma 3 larping as nato where the only launcher was a javelin type squads were extremely disadvantaged when anything armored truck or tank rolled up at close range. There was no way to kill them since the launcher needed a minimum range. Now we have gustavs
Your generals played arma and noticed this huge problem and acted accordingly.
Also theyre cheap and still have good range.

someone should've introduced the hungarian military to RHS

Hey Jow Forums, this thread made me realize I'm not clear on the differences between a recoilless rifle, a rocket launcher, and an RPG. Aren't they all just different sized tubes for launching dumb ordinance?

>Redpill
Die.

also, getting locks on vehicles moving in and out of cover was impossible. Driving through the woods or a town at low speeds is all it took.
With gustav, you point it at the nearest clearing the vehicle is moving toward and pop it as it drives by. Great for ambushes.
Nothing beats the titan for tank slaying at extended ranges but theres definitely a lot of areas the gustav would be preferred

>one carl gustav per squard
why would you need this weapon in a normal squad??? Are you aware of how much this + ammo weigh?? It's a fucking lot mate

A recoilless rifle is a rifle, IE launched via burning powder through a barrel, whereas rocket launchers are propelled by rockets
RPG is just the russian term for rocket launcher that has now become genericized
Note that some recoilless rifle munitions do include a rocket motor for extra range

They're also more fun to use

The RPG is not a rocket launcher. It's a smoothbore recoilless gun with mostly rocket boosted ammo.

RPG is a granade. It's name is rocket propelled granade ffs

Do you consider the AT4 a rocket launcher?

Is it usable indoors? Asking for a friend.

There's one HEAT shell available that can be. I suspect a confined space thermobaric or HEDP one will be produced as well some time in the relatively near future.

Recoilless rifles are excellent "poor man's artillery" as long as it's of the size that 1-3 men can operate it and it only takes one guy to move it. Cheap, decent to good rate of fire and you can use it against vehicles, some if not most armor, people, buildings. However, once you fire one if you're fighting against an enemy that can reach out and touch back, you better move and move fast.

Which brings me to the larger recoilless rifles for example from the 50s and 60s, unless you can mount it safely on and fire it from a vehicle, you and your team are fucked once you fire it, because everyone within several miles of your position will know you're there...and you need a fair bit of real estate behind the weapon because of the backblast. Once you're at the point you need with punch and crew served it's better to go with a modern guided missile: more range (typically), less fire report and far more portable.

No, not any more.

To GM, actually, way back in the late '80s. GM sold SAAB off to Spyker a few years back, new owners went bankrupt, and China ended up buying what was left of it.

Usable indoors as in you can position one inside a building to conceal it as long as you make sure the backblast has somewhere to go and there's a certain amount of space between the breech and the nearest wall.

Everything he said, airburst munition it can fire is really impressive. I'd imagine it's also easier maintaining and carrying this thing around than it is a Javelin. Munition easier to spread around a squad as well.

>you will never plink trucks on the Ho Chi Minh trail with a recoilless rifle while your SOG bros blackbag some gooks further up on the road

Attached: SOG recon team photographs NVA troops walking along the HCM trail.jpg (537x708, 131K)

we have 1 gustav per squad

fire team?

because they are fun and have fun ammunition

Attached: IMG_20160512_173222.jpg (2400x3200, 2.08M)

our platoon had 3 CG and each AT team in a squad carried 4 rounds.
t. light infantry

so support, not fire team?

our fire team is 10 people MG, MG-A, AT, AT-A, PL, PL-A, Combat medic, rifleman (HMG), rifleman (HMG), rifleman (either secondary AT-A or MG-A)

sorry, instead of PL, PL-A it should be SL, SL-A

Almost all squads in Sweden has one or two CGs, while almost everyone else in the squad has an AT-4.

Where is the video of the Arab blowing his friends head off with one of these?

This. The ability to chuck a big fat heavy HE round accurately a few hundred meters in direct fire is useful over and above the utility of a short range antiarmor weapon.

They’re much cheaper to field and maintain than the fancy schmancy shit on top of doing what Hungary will realistically need done well.