Babbys first bolt action

So I am looking at a very recent ad from a local pawn shop on a "Winchester 70 Classic Featherweight" in 30-06 for $600.
I got Garand food, plan to obtain a 1903A3 in the future, and I actually want a solid first bolt action. I also have my eyes set on a SS ruger m77 for same price, also at a local pawn shop.

Anyone with bolty's give this bolt virgin some tips? I kind of want to make my first bolt action rifle a keeper, I don't expect $$$ quality at this price range, but I am sure these 2 storied rifle models offer something? Or should I just take that cash and get a Tikka, Savage, Howa, etc? Kind of looking for controlled feed action.

Attached: Springfield_costume2_D.png (1024x1024, 349K)

Just save your money for the 1903. Buy once

But I don’t plan on doing anything to the 1903 so I’ll still want a scoped bolt action.

Why do you want a scoped 30-06? Buy a legit precision rifle later down the line.

I already have a ton of 30-06. It’s a first bolt gun. Why all the fight back?

was it made before 1964?

It’s the “classic” line, so it’s the post ‘92 but with the big mauser claw control feed, NOT the newer control push feed.

if it was made by fn it's a good rifle but I don't think I would pay $600 for it. if it was one of the intermediate ones it's definitely not worth that much. if you want controlled feed your best bet is probably looking around for a mauser.

ok. thanks, I knew the pre-64's are sought after, and I know the current FN made ones are made good, just wasn't sure of the back and forth time in between.

Because you won't be doing precision shooting in a rifle chambered in -06.
t. has two rifles chambered in -06

why don’t you want a A2 battle calculator

so my first bolt action with scope should be 6.5 or a magnum?

I'd give 6/5 a try

I built a gun in 30-06 ackley and it shoots good

Let's be real, 99% of dudes shooting 30-06 are doing it in budget hunting rifles, not 2000+ dollar rigs

It should be something in a common economical chambering, which neither of those is.

There's nothing wrong with a .223. Ammo is cheap, and the high-end rounds with bonded boolits make it an effective hunting load for deer and wild hogs. Pic related.

Attached: 223 75 grain TAP on big hog.jpg (337x525, 72K)

If I was going to put $2000+ down for a bolt rifle, I’d just go for a magnum caliber.

I'm not a fan of the featherweight.

I enjoy Savage and Howa for the price point they are hard to beat.

If you want something to shoot a lot, often , consider something other than 30-06 maybe, but if you're dead set on 30-06 that Winchester should be a fine rifle all things considered. It'll have a fairly sharp recoil for a 30-06 though.

>featherweight
>30-06
Ouch. Not a good combo unless you get it muzzle brakes.
Be very careful about scope bite.

It'll beat the shit out him and cost him $2 a shot. You are not doing OP any favors.

If you want a bolt gun to put an optic on Id strongly suggest something in a lighter recoiling cartridge than 30-06 unless it has a muzzle brake.
I just cant picture it being fun out of a feather weight for more than a few rounds.
See if you can get a heavier profile build maybe at least if it has to be 30-06 but a brake and good ear pro could make it pretty great.

.223 isn't legal for deer in some states

I'm puzzled by the pushback you're getting here, OP. The Winchester sounds like a sweetheart. The M77 is good too, I've got a stainless M77 Mk.II in .30-06 and I love it.

Disclaimer: I am absolutely biased and not rational about this, two things I love are the .30-06 cartridge and Mauser/Mauser-style actions, especially together. I say go for it, but I'm the devil's advocate.

A featherweight rifle might beat you up a little on the shooting bench, but it will be a darling in the field.

A previous user made a good point, please recognize the distinction between a hunting rifle and a long-range precision rifle.

And of course, technically speaking, I'm morally obligated to tell you, you could get something like a Ruger American or Savage Axis for like *half* as much money, and it could be more accurate, and .308 would be cheaper/easier to shoot.
>but don't do that, don't be a basic bitch, get a gorgeous, controlled round feed, long action, .30-06 classic American beauty and take her to the Rockies to hunt elk, do it, do it, do eeeeet

OP here, thanks for the input. I have read and seen a few videoes mentioning the felt recoil of the 30-06 featherweight, guess that’s a concern echoed by everyone. The ruger m77 mkII in stainless is also nearby for the same $600, I can check that out.
As far as 30-06 not being optimal cartridge for precision shooting, I realize that, and I have every intention to buy a more precision oriented bolt rifle with another caliber down the line. But at the moment, I’m just going for a mid range rifle to shoot with and use in the future with. As for the American, axis, howa, etc i might buy one to keep in my car.

>As for the American, axis, howa, etc i might buy one to keep in my car.
so you can pull over and shoot the deer before it jumps out in front of you?

Reproduction 1903a4s have been made using orginal 03a3 recievers and bolts but go for about $1300

>he doesn’t go chasing deer with his car

Oh