AR-15 vs AR-10 SHTF Rifle Build

I'm going to build my first AR and, since I'm an accuracy whore, it will be a 'DMR' but not so much that it's unusable for other circumstances. The intended use will be for shits and gigs at the range/innawoods, and as my go-to SHTF rifle.I get rock hard watching Rhodesian combat videos and everytime I do, I start leaning towards that sweet 7.62 NATO battle rifle. I had been planning on building a .223 because I thought that 7.62 NATO was prohibitively expensive at around 0.60/rd, but I just checked SGAmmo and apparently it is 0.30/round for steel case shit. Should I build an AR-10 or an AR-15? How much more will it likely cost for the AR-10? Do any of you plan to use 7.62 NATO as your SHTF caliber? Gibs advice pls.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

shooterscalculator.com/ballistic-trajectory-chart.php?pl=223 Remington&presets=223 Remington~223 REM 70gr Berger VLD~G1~0.371~70~2850~100~1.5~0~10~90~false~0~59~29.92~50~true~1000~25&df=G1&bc=0.371&bw=77&vi=2850&zr=100&sh=1.5&sa=0&ws=10&wa=90&ssb=on&cr=600&ss=100&chartColumns=Range~yd;Elevation~in;Elevation~MOA~FBFFF5;Elevation~MIL;Windage~in;Windage~MOA~FBFFF5;Windage~MIL;Time~s;Energy~ft.lbf;Vel[x+y]~ft/s&lbl=223 REM 70gr Berger VLD&submitst= Create Chart
shooterscalculator.com/ballistic-trajectory-chart.php?pl=308 Winchester&presets=308 Winchester~308 Win 168Gr Hornady A-Max~G1~.475~168~2700~100~1.5~0~10~90~~0~59~29.92~50~1~1000~25&df=G1&bc=.475&bw=168&vi=2700&zr=100&sh=1.5&sa=0&ws=10&wa=90&cr=600&ss=100&chartColumns=Range~yd;Elevation~in;Elevation~MOA~FBFFF5;Elevation~MIL;Windage~in;Windage~MOA~FBFFF5;Windage~MIL;Time~s;Energy~ft.lbf;Vel[x+y]~ft/s&lbl=308 Win 168Gr Hornady A-Max&submitst= Create Chart
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>shtf
If you're building a gun for its looks and how it appears in your fantasy then it hardly matters which you actually go with.

>AR-10
Avenues of approach 600y/m plus.
>AR-15
For 600y/m and closer.
77g 556 is close to a 168g .308 if you build both and swap out the same optic.

77g
> shooterscalculator.com/ballistic-trajectory-chart.php?pl=223 Remington&presets=223 Remington~223 REM 70gr Berger VLD~G1~0.371~70~2850~100~1.5~0~10~90~false~0~59~29.92~50~true~1000~25&df=G1&bc=0.371&bw=77&vi=2850&zr=100&sh=1.5&sa=0&ws=10&wa=90&ssb=on&cr=600&ss=100&chartColumns=Range~yd;Elevation~in;Elevation~MOA~FBFFF5;Elevation~MIL;Windage~in;Windage~MOA~FBFFF5;Windage~MIL;Time~s;Energy~ft.lbf;Vel[x+y]~ft/s&lbl=223 REM 70gr Berger VLD&submitst= Create Chart

168g
> shooterscalculator.com/ballistic-trajectory-chart.php?pl=308 Winchester&presets=308 Winchester~308 Win 168Gr Hornady A-Max~G1~.475~168~2700~100~1.5~0~10~90~~0~59~29.92~50~1~1000~25&df=G1&bc=.475&bw=168&vi=2700&zr=100&sh=1.5&sa=0&ws=10&wa=90&cr=600&ss=100&chartColumns=Range~yd;Elevation~in;Elevation~MOA~FBFFF5;Elevation~MIL;Windage~in;Windage~MOA~FBFFF5;Windage~MIL;Time~s;Energy~ft.lbf;Vel[x+y]~ft/s&lbl=308 Win 168Gr Hornady A-Max&submitst= Create Chart

Attached: Mk12Mod0.jpg (1024x503, 72K)

Gorgeous rifle. Is she yours?
I live in the suburbs right now and have plans to move innawoods soon, so short avenues of approach in both cases, though dense brush in the case of woods. I wish for CW2 daily though, so that is part of my consideration of its long range use in SHTF. I've never actually compared the ballistics between heavy 5.56 and 7.62- that's pretty inspiring. What would you recommend I change to better fine-tune my build for heavy grain ammo?

>Is she yours?
No it is just a rando picture of a MK-12 SPR.
>What would you recommend I change to better fine-tune my build for heavy grain ammo?
The biggest issue, at least for 223/556, is wanting a 1/8 to 1/7 twist to help stabilize the heavier grain rounds. 1/7 will stabilize 55g and up without any issues. This is my rifle with a 3-9 it is SFP scope with built in BDC with hash marks calibrated out to 500yds I have taken it out to 400yd on steel plates with 62/73/75/77 grain rounds. It is just a standard 16" upper from BCM.

Attached: to paint or not to paint.jpg (2576x1932, 1.68M)

AR10

SHTF you're not fighting in infantry. You don't have a machine gunner, DMR, and air support for long range engagements. Actually you're not fighting much at all. You're hunting large game to feed a community, and if you do any human shooting it's distance shit for security purposes, and your targets in that case could be very far away and inside moving vehicles.

Go with 308. Preferably bigger. Or you'll be laughed at by old guys with 338 lapua fudd-actions pulling in more game (more effective range = more shots, less stalking) and busting through more swastika-emblazoned pickup truck doors than the AR15 zoomers

>BUT I HAD A 14.5 BARREL AND AN AIMPOINT IT WAS GOING TO BE SO IDEAL FOR ROOM CLEARING
>CAN WE RAID THE REBEL SETTLEMENT? PLEASE?

The only other change is that I have swapped out the 3-9 scope to a Vortex FFP 4-16 with the ability to dial the turrets it has also been placed in a cantilever scope mount I just had those rings and wanted to take it out and shoot(so the picture looks a bit different in this configuration then now).

Many people will scream and yell that you "must have at least an 18-20" barrel for it to function reliably as a SPR/DMR orientated or designed, built for rifle. This isn't really true and will eventually come down to you deciding how you want it set up. With this optic and 77g Sierra Match Kings I have taken it out to 800 yards.
AR-10's have their place also and pros/cons. I have said a bunch about 223/556 SPR'ish themed rifles so other Anons can talk about those if this thread keeps going.

Attached: 20181103_172435.jpg (2576x1932, 1.34M)

Friendly reminder that in any SHTF situation where society has degraded to this point, hunting will not be an option and should be completely disregarded. There are 30 million deer in the US. There are over 360 million people. You'd best get used to the taste of long pig, because there wouldn't be any 4 legged animals left after a month.

>Or you'll be laughed at by old guys with 338 lapua fudd-actions pulling in more game (more effective range = more shots, less stalking)
Also this is the kind of retarded shit someone who has never hunted would say. Someone who has never even seen a fucking forest. Just where the fuck do you live that you're going to exceed the range of a .308, and still have clear line of sight to make a shot?

A hundred million or more would be dead or will have gone back to Latin America/India/China within 6 months of a true SHTF scenario.

Ok, now the ratio is 260 Million to 0 after 6 months. This doesn't really help things.

Plains and mountainsides

>hunting not an option
>get used to the taste of long pig
>not living in a small town
Normies out. Literally. Lethally. Don't come here for refuge and stay out of the woods.

All those people are trapped in the burbs and won't be leaving for deer country for fear of being shook down and executed. And if they come to the woods for deer, someone else was there first. Sorry. Hands up and join up, leave, or get shot.

Millions of anti-gun liberals won't be hunting shit my dude. Thinking we'll still be a heavily meat consuming country when SHTF is top lel. Prepare your angus to be a berry picker.

After saying all that. I would like to add that a red dot with a magnifier or a LPVO(low powered variable optic) are also valuable optics to consider if your intent would be defensive and not offensive in planning. It will also give you the ability of higher magnification optics similar to as I showed earlier plus the ability to turn down the magnifcation when needed. There are also 3x fixed optics like Acogs, Burris some of the Primary Arms brands that have built in BDC's all ready calibrated for popular 223/556 rounds. With those it is possible to to use the Bindon Aiming Concept(popularized by acog, really just shooting with both eyes open while looking through an optic which has been around forever) which with practice will get you to minute of bad guy shooting out to around 300yd.

In closing I would suggest at 16" ar with a red dot with magnifier, a LPVO or some adjustable 3-9x or your preferred magnification level then a 308 as a bolt gun.
AR's can be configured wit two uppers on a red dot and another with a scope so don't forget that.

Attached: rfl_strike-eagle_1-8x24_fr-t.jpg (800x467, 56K)

Except you're a suburban retard.
>mountainsides
Maybe your mountainsides are different from mine, but mine have trees up until the fucking treeline. And there aren't any deer up above there. So they don't really help in making long shots at all. This would be such a terrible place to be disregarding that, good luck with your first winter without power and your inability to grow anything worth eating. Have you ever done even a one mile hike in a serious mountain? Even with no gear weighing you down I don't think someone like you could do it.
>b-but muh mountain men
Were fur trappers who were able to survive because more settled people sold them necessary provisions.
>Plains
Are the last place I want to be hauling a deer out of through 1000+ yards of open, clear line of sight space when there is apparently people running around shaking down and executing eachother. Did you just not think this through?

Problem is this country has a pretty even split and every single person that has ever voted Republican has fantasized about going full Red Dawn at least once.
>Thinking we'll still be a heavily meat consuming country when SHTF is top lel
Which is exactly the point I made, to someone who thinks hunting will be a top priority you should focus your gear around.

Attached: guess the mountain.jpg (4032x1960, 3.28M)

most will die before they can get out of a city, depending on the scenario. patrician/trad leadership will ensure belt-tightening as needed and large-scale community agriculture

fuckk that's pretty based forget about re-zero

I'd wager 90% of this board (who are actually hazgunz) have ever been hunting. I'd say 10% of those people have taken deer before. There are more soiboys in America than ever before. Look at pic related. He represents the vast, vast majority of young men in this country. He'd be the first to tell you that if a nigger broke into his house he'd offer up his girlfriend's pussy and his own asshole before he even thinks about defending himself. You truly underestimate how many people are willing to do what it takes to survive in this world. It's not a joke, it's not a meme; these people WILL stop functioning if their starbucks and netflix are taken from him.

Attached: soy.jpg (706x521, 45K)

the obvious solution is to hunt humans instead of deer then

if 25% of them can find a book about it, they're golden. until then, they deal with spoiled meat

t. doesn't consider alternative means of meat that excludes longpig

>these people WILL stop functioning if their starbucks and netflix are taken from him
No, they'll turn into desperate, violent children who don't understand the term repercussions. Just because they don't have the ability or knowledge to survive doesn't mean they won't try. And their trying is directly opposed to yours. Assuming you're not actually a suburban fudd who thinks he's a cowboy because he has a pickup, you have what he needs to survive.

Up until you try to live as a hunter-gatherer with a .338 making long distance shots on deer you can't even find in the brush after you shoot them, anyway. Then you have nothing, and wind up just like them.
I need you to look up what long pig is, reread my post, then get back to me.

He can't go wrong with an AR. But I've played enough video games to tell you that 5.56mm rifles beat 7.62mm rifles in combat. The extra bullets you can put out with an AR15 are deadlier than the slow firing of an AR10. For hunting, 5.56mm is better as well. It can shoot small game without destroying it. You will be living off small game, mostly. So what is 7.62mm better at? Sniping, I guess. Anything over 500m starts giving favour to the AR10.

>everything we reported on the news to scare you is just a fantasy, goy

You need to be 18 to post here, you noguns zoomer

That's why guns and ammo will be more valuable than gold or silver. When shtf the three necessities will be foremost. A citadel, clothing ie warmth or cool (energy) and food (includes good fresh water). Ask the residents of Sarajevo how fast civilization erodes to anarchy. Barter will be the currency of necessity. And long pig will be the primary source of protein. Build both and have 5000 rounds on hand, network with like minded neighbors and get innawoods to defend your homestead.

Attached: 1538447950701.jpg (500x395, 42K)

My vote is AR-15. Ammo will be more abundant when scavenging or trading, it will weigh less and take up less space as well, allowing you to hoard more of it, which will be more beneficial if you bug out. AR-15 parts are standardized whereas the AR-10 isn't as much, so if you needed to repair your gun, it's easier to find replacement parts (although VERY unlikely you'll need a repair AND find what you need anyway). In Texas, the deer aren't very big so 5.56 is capable of any hunting that I'd need. With all the money you save on the rifle and ammo, you can buy stuff that's more useful for SHTF, like idk, food, water, and medical supplies.

>15 for home defense/general chimpout/urban shit/give me back my wife

Attached: IMG_20181231_192628.jpg (3840x2160, 1.97M)

>10 for home defense from across a field/down the street/innawoods/imonaboat/literally everything else

Attached: SR-25 Battle Rifle.jpg (3840x1698, 2.85M)

>ak when feeling frisky

Attached: Farcry Build.jpg (3840x2160, 2.05M)

>that quote
literal fake news, George "Fuck You Daniel Shays" Washington would never say that.
"Among the many interesting objects, which will engage your attention, that of providing for the common defence will merit particular regard. To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined; to which end a Uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others, for essential, particularly for military supplies.

The proper establishment of the Troops which may be deemed indispensible, will be entitled to mature consideration. In the arrangements which may be made respecting it, it will be of importance to conciliate the comfortable support of the Officers and Soldiers with a due regard to economy."

tldr

Depends on the SHTF scenario. If we are talking about literal collapse of society ushering in a dark age that could last decades to even centuries of constant warlordism and city-state warfare. Then your best bet is an AK. Both AR's and AK's are fucking fantastic weapons, but when your time innawoods goes from months to years, without any proper cleaning kit's or full strip cleanings, and without any gun lube. The AR will eventually start to wear pretty hard. It is not in reliability that the AK reigns supreme in, it is the longevity of the AK where it reigns supreme. It ain't a meme, AK's can just keep shooting for years with minimal maintenance.

Is there any way to know if long distance or close quarters is more common during SHTF?

retard

No, SHTF scenarios can be so different from one another. The real best thing that you can do in an actual SHTF scenario that is pretty universal is to be discrete and let nobody know of your true powerlevel. Conceal your firearms and wear attire that allows you to blend in and become nobody. Only until city states start warring with each other and bandits are fucking up your supply runs do you bust out the AR/AK and commence street sweeping operations.

Attached: societal_decay.jpg (854x1280, 124K)

bumpin it cause imma fag

Just pick what the military picks. For fucks sake. They know what's what. Get a carbine length 5.56mm, a 9mm pistol and be done with it.

ak-74

fuck you
>this post was brought to you by mid length gang

he is right though, its part of the reason why everyone moved away from battle rifles and marksmanship training for suppressing fire and MANEUVER WARFARE

muh greyman

Attached: onlyoldfagswillrememberthis.jpg (408x528, 45K)

>An AR for SHTF
Retard. Get a .308 bolt action and a Marlin 10/22. Your SHTF gun needs to last you possibly the rest of your life without access to spare parts.

Lol. Shit hasn't even hit the fan and 5.45 ammo is already non-existent.

Neither better be common at all. If you are engaging other people period, you are going to have a very shot lifespan.

There is literally no excuse for not buying spare parts BEFORE shtf

Unless you buy century.

Put that thing out of it's misery.