Ammo and reloading for SHTF

How would you procure ammo in a SHTF scenario? Stockpile them, reload or carry a muzzle-loader? How would you make a DIY primer?

Attached: primers.jpg (380x237, 52K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DAyM8Iet1O8
aardvarkreloading.com/resources/Homemade Primer Course Update.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=H5oz9IJ_5O0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bow and arrow

dont worry about it. shit isnt going to hit the fan and you arent going to scavenge for reloading materials.

That is the most hebrew reply I have witnessed here in the last decade. Fuck you, Rabbi Soapberg.

Attached: 1543362322055.jpg (308x348, 21K)

t. globalist

Primers are cheap. I have at least 100k of small pistol, small rifle and large rifle primers on hand at any time. I just buy bulk packs whenever they're on sale.

All three. Stockpile, reload, and have a muzzle loader. A couple of muzzle loaders, actually. They can be used with smokeless powder. Reserve one muzzle loader for testbed purposes, and have it set up so you can trigger it remotely. Start with small loads.

As far as priming, stockpile them. Work on converting a muzzle loader to piezoelectric ignition so you still have a functional firearm when every primer in the world has been used up.

>piezoelectric ignition
youtube.com/watch?v=DAyM8Iet1O8
Why isn't this a thing commercially available?

Do you even flintlock bro?

Attached: Flintlock.jpg (2040x1347, 548K)

That kinda is, just buy lighter components duh

"Hunnit Dolla bill nigga" - LOL, have a (You).

Reloading is only a good idea for pre SHTF stock piling. Once SHTF, reloading is completely useless because youre going to be forced to carry around everything needed to reload and you have to worry about your primers and powder staying dry. Then you have to have the time to do the actual reloading.

TEOTWAWKI would probably reduce us to 18th and 19th century technology. There are plenty of articles and videos online on making percussion caps for BP. Learn how to do it now.

I'm already pretty well stocked on some calibers, working on others. As someone who actually reloads, here are some truths Jow Forums doesn't like to hear
>you'll eventually run out of primers or powder or some little component will break and midway isn't around for a replacement
>no, you aren't going to make primers or powder off the little jpeg you saved in an info dump thread
>you don't even own a BP gun and no, you aren't gonna make one
>you have no bullet molds, projectiles don't just cast themselves
>even if you managed to scavenge supplies, you'll be hard pressed to reload with no data or knowledge
Now I'm sure I'll be corrected by the LARP patrol that will assuredly make BP because they read Blood Meridian. All that aside, reloading is a good way to get stocked while there's still infrastructure.

This is how I've always seen it, scavenging and looting are the only chance you have at replenishing supplies unless you learn to smith your own bullets from scrap metal

>Not having a Jow Forumsompound that can last the first few months of a shtf atleast.

Attached: ATF.jpg (503x422, 28K)

I'm not going to shoot 10,000 rounds and live.
Terrible choice. Just get a .22lr instead, stock up on literally thousands of rounds of ammo. You'll come in cheaper than a good bow and a few arrows, I promise you. A .22 is far from ideal, but it's also better in every single way than a bow. Even if you actually know how to use a bow. If you don't, don't even consider using a bow.
>but muh re-usable arrows
break eventually
>but I can make more
Try it and get back to me. You might make something you can shoot, but it will be shit.
>muh silent
Want to know what else is quiet? A .22lr with a suppressor.
>but .22lr is too weak!
Pretty much every single animal on earth has been killed with .22lr, up to and including bears and elephants. Get a ruger 10/22 and 35 round mags. An arrow with a good broadhead might hurt more than a single .22lr. But you're not limited to one shot. 35 .22's hurts a lot more than one arrow, and you can fire them a lot faster. You can carry hundreds of rounds on your person. How many arrows can you carry?

>making percussion caps
nice aardvarkreloading.com/resources/Homemade Primer Course Update.pdf

>make BP because
Jokes on you, I collect piss jars.

>not turning your septic system into a bootleg potassium nitrate leaching bed
fucking plebeian.

Primitive bows are viable, check out primitivepathways. Pretty doable if you can find basic tools

>viable
If you have nothing but a rock and a tree, sure. But if you're going to waste your time and money, there are a lot more sane options than a bow.

>Salvaging heavy lead boat keel for bullet casting and reloading
youtube.com/watch?v=H5oz9IJ_5O0

Attached: madman.jpg (1280x720, 150K)

Correct on the 10,000 and .22lr
You want a good stock of a cheaper ammunition and rifles and if possible a handgun to use it. This is your core survival. .22lr is lighter, smaller, and quieter than its larger cousins but will still kill. Key is to have 50% or more of your ammo stock be .22lr. Also yes, .22lr is reloadable and yes match heads in a pinch for primer.
Now you want for defense a more powerful caliber. This is your do not waste ammunition group.
My suggestion for break down of 10k ammo is the following. (my preference and close to what I use). You can pick 1 handgun ammo type instead of 3, but I change my carry by seasons or location camping.
5000 rounds of .22lr
500 rounds of .380 (I like my pocket carry)
1000 rounds of 9mm
500 rounds of .45 acp
2000 rounds of 5.56/.223 (mix of 193/855/razor)
500 rounds of .308 (30-06 is great as well, but you guys like your .308)
250 rounds of 12 gauge 00
150 rounds of 12 gauge bird shot
100 rounds of 12 gauge rifled slugs

That's a lot of different rounds. If we're talking about long term survival with no hope to resupply, I'd stick with
1 small/medium game caliber
1 large game/self-defense caliber
1 pistol/carabine caliber

As a last resort, a muzzle-loader shooting cast bullets

Agreed, but I like my toys.
.22lr is good for stocking for game but might want bigger for easier takedown
9mm would be idea for all around pistol
.308 seems to be the new favorite with the AR-10.
12 gauge because, nothing says I love you to someone busting down a door than a 00 to the face.

Depends on what you expect to happen. Houston has a SHTF event every few years. So that's what I'm most prepared for.
One good plan is to have a few hundred rds of SD ammo, and a few hundred rds of quiet unobtrusive ammo. My preference is for a lever action in 357 mag, the SD rounds are full power 158gr lead bullets at about 1900fps, the quiet rounds are the same bullet at around 800fps, they make a popping noise that is slightly noisier than a hand clap, about like a champagne cork popping, without needing the weight and bulk of a suppressor. Quieter loads are doable (38 cal round ball @ 650fps makes a noise about as loud as a mild sneeze and will pass through soft targets up to about 7" thick) but is less accurate due to mismatch with the twist rate, and the extra noise reduction doesnt seem worth it. Between those two loads I am pretty well set for most use cases I am likely to face, it's not a long distance solution but in my region long range threats just arent likely.

>reloading is completely useless
That's not entirely true. There are reloading tools intended for use by people in the old west who had to carry their stuff on horseback. Look up the lyman ideal 310. And revolver cartridges can be reloaded with just a handheld decapper and capper, no press or dies needed as long as you keep the pressures low. Whether this matters is another question, but a bottle of bullseye and a box of 500 round balls and primers doesnt weight much. The old timers would retrieve their round balls and roll them between two pieces of wood to restore the roundness, then reuse them.

Better to do what the guys in the old west did in this situation - stick with one caliber for pistol and rifle, and learn to use it *well*.

"Rome will never fall."
t. soi Senator

I'll die before running out of ammo. Probably be from infection, or some thing stupid.

>Once SHTF, reloading is completely useless because youre going to be forced to carry around everything needed to reload
bugging in is the real SHTFpill

If you're really shtf and there's
1. no money
2. infinite "time" discounting time you need to forage
3. you have zero prepped resources
then a primitive bow is pretty much the only shot you have

>you don't even own a BP gun
i do
>you have no bullet molds
i do

>He dosn'r know about the Lee Loader.

Attached: Lee_Loader.jpg (1404x790, 227K)

Not scientific enough. If you’re gonna bang on rocks to make the bullets fly, do it with science, you absolute Luddite.

>youre going to be forced to carry around everything needed to reload
Or you could just have a community reloading bench that everybody in your community contributes to, and has access to. Or even have a dedicated reloading person. You can bug out all you want, I’m sticking with my preps until circumstances dictate otherwise.

Your Lee Loader is garbage. I'm going to hear you hammering and cursing from a quarter mile away and sneak right up on you.

Bugging in with 45k rounds, feels good, man.

Attached: 1540004433049.png (638x551, 609K)