Un-owned Firearm Disposal

Hey Jow Forums

I am not a gun owner, but some time ago I came into possession of a Charter Arms Off Duty .22 LR from a dealer I knew who split town. He gave it to me as collateral as he was going to go re-up, but disappeared that night. It was a while ago and neither I or anybody I have talked to know where he went. That's not important though.

I'm going to be moving soon, and this thing has been sitting in my storage since I got it. It came with a belt holster and was unloaded. I can't exactly use it for anything, and I don't want to keep it, so what the hell do I do with it? Nobody I know exactly wants a shady ass pistol. The serial number is intact, by the way.

Pic semi-related.

Attached: wm_1205484.jpg (504x368, 33K)

Delete picture
Call police
Say you found it
Ask to check whether it was filed as stolen
If not, keep

Keep it to be served as his memory at least, guns are fun too. I would still keep a bit of ammo, even a singly bullet just laying around for it in case of emergency. Trust me and keep it, besides a free gun is a free gun
He gave that to you for a reason, and keep it to remember him by. Dont be a faggot and sell it

>I am not a gun owner,
Yes you are.
>I can't exactly use it for anything, and I don't want to keep it
Stop being a pussy. Buy some ammo for it and enjoy.

Wipe your prints off, throw it in a bush in your yard and leave it there.Call the police say you found a gun cleaning up around your property.

PS Wipe your fucking finger prints off.

So.... why not keep it?
You might need it some day, considering you seem to have a penchant for keeping bad company.

you come off as a massive faggot.

Attached: 1545402354180.jpg (500x409, 30K)

if its what you say, you can call the police and give them the serial. they can tell you if its stolen or used in a crime.
it it was either of those things, theyll come and take the pistol.
if the pistol is "clean" or if you dont want to involve the police in the first place, just sell it on armslist and be done with it.

Keep it as a throwaway piece for a worst-case gungrab scenario, while keeping your good guns hidden

Better to not associate yourself with it in any way, especially if it turns out to be murder weapon. The last thing you want is for the cops to knock on your door a week later because your story seemed a little cagey at first. Then you change it to "well my friend had it but he skipped town and have it to me" and they start thinking maybe there was no friend...

ship it to me, give you 50 bucks

user. It's a .22.

I'll buy it for 60.

Primarily because I have no knowledge of the legal repercussions of owning a firearm under these circumstances. Say it does indeed come in handy one day. Where does that put me if the law becomes involved? I shot a man with an illegally owned firearm in self-defense. Sounds sticky to me, especially considering I would rather just register myself and buy a gun I would actually enjoy using if I want one.

Also, keep it in his memory? It was a dealer I've bought from maybe twice in my whole life lmao.

>illegally owned firearm in self-defense.
depends on state whether it's illegal. In 45/50 its a legal gun by your story. There is no registration in nearly all states and private exchanges dont require a background check.
Id tell you to have the police run the serial numbers if youre in a safe state and keep it or flip it on armslist for an easy $100

What happens if they run the serial and it was reported stolen?

Why would it be illegally owned? Someone gifted you a firearm. Do you live in a state where there exists a registry on handguns? In many states giving someone a firearm is perfectly lawful, there exists no such thing as a federal registry.

Attached: Star 01.png (1418x796, 2.18M)

65, no more

They'll contact the manufacturer, ask who they distributed to, then which shop the distributor sold the gun to, then contact the individual who originally bought the gun. And they'll probably want it back.

dont know off hand but you can probably google it or talk to a lawyer for $50. Theyd probably accept your story seeing as youre turning it in on good faith and not being caught with it in your glove box but I understand not wanting to get fucked over for a cheap 22lr.

So I can just call the cops and be like, "Hey, can you run the serial on this gun?" and they'll happily do it, no questions asked? What exactly constitutes a "safe state"? I don't have the faintest clue of the gun laws when it comes to anything in this area, so forgive me for being a little paranoid, even if it is essentially over a pea-shooter.

I'll probably just use armslist in that case since it seems like the least hassle.

Okay, then let's start with what state you live in. That way someone who knows your local laws can help.

youre not going to get doxxed by giving a state user but Ill name the big ones you should be worried about
>california
>new york
>Hawaii
Here, in OK, it would be fine though for example.

I'm currently in PA, but I'm moving to NY.

>NY
No wonder you're looking to sell it

Yeah, youre screwed. Look for a gun buy back or google how to turn in a questionable firearm.
It wont be new york legal

Druggie faggot

yes, you can just call the non emregency police line and explain the situation. i know a lot of people are against willingly bringing the man into their lives but youve done nothing wrong and by running the serial, you can get peace of mind.
pa is fine as far as i know.
ny has a lot of gun control laws. im thinking a 22 revolver doesnt really matter in ny but who knows.

I'll do 200 :;)

How bout I just hide it somewhere for the next person to find

Attached: 1463435607545.gif (800x800, 921K)

If you want to get some money on it, list it on armslist or take it to a local pawn shop. Don't expect to get much, if they'll even take it.

If you don't want to deal with it at all, just remove the cylinder, put it in a plastic bag, and take it to the police station and say you found it in the grass while you were on a walk and wanted to turn it in.

Attached: 1518401347380.jpg (866x900, 124K)

Literally just keep it. There is no way to trace it back to the dealer or anyone else for that matter. If you want to shoot it and have fun, then go do that. If you don't then hold on to it till you or someone you know does.

Also you're a gun owner congrats welcome to the club

Actually NY might fuck you in the ass
Throw it in a river or leave it in a paper bag outside of a police station (at night) with a note inside explaining that you don't want it and it may be connected to a crime.

It's so easy to check if it's clean then sell why are gay OP? Do you not pie money? Or are you retarded or lazy maybe both?

heres what to do
>find him, and end it
>use pic related
>throw it away and have an alibi
>never get ripped off again
i used to do your job
also there is a handgun registry in PA

NY has a handgun registry with a permitting process that can take in excess of 18 months in some counties before you can even legally touch a handgun.
t. Long Islander

If its been entered into NCIC as stolen, it could be a problem if he gets caught with it. Realistically even if private sale is 100% legal, its a good idea to know who sold you the gun, their name and preferably a date of birth, to keep your own ass out of trouble. You dont need to have it run by the police necessarily, but it could be possession of stolen property when it comes down to it. Selling stolen property can be a felony in some states. In NC the charge is obtaining property under false pretenses, if you sell stolen shit at a pawn shop.

All in all I'd keep it OP. Stash it for a rainy/real fucked up day. Its a burner anyway. If you have to use it, ditch it afterwards.

And to clarify, the standard of proof for the felony "obtaining property by false pretenses" is very low. You dont even have to know that its stolen. It simply must be stolen, then pawned or sold. That's why they are very specific on the pledged forms, regarding whether or not its YOUR property. This is why you should never pawn something for a friend. Most likely they dont want to show ID and pawn it themselves. Cause that shit is stolen.

Say it was left to you by a dead friend.
Unless he used it to kill someone you know it’s not likely to come back on you.

If it's been used in a crime that means it's been in police evidence lockup. No way it got out and into the hands of some numbnuts. If it was stolen it's possible. There is no way cops would be able to tell if this piece of shit was used in a crime. Stop watching CSI user.

>No way it got out and into the hands of some numbnuts
You'd be amazed how many murder weapons have repeatedly fallen out of the back of an evidence locker. Police pick up guns that, on paper, are already in a locker.

I am genuinely interested in seeing any numbers you might have.

I don't have any numbers, I'm just sure that it has to happen because most Police are dirty.

Just look up "stolen police weapons", you'll get plenty of results.
Most of the stolen (And often simply lost/forgotten) guns are issued service weapons stolen from gloveboxes and the like, but there are evidence thefts all the time. Most of the time, it's just a dirty cop taking a cool gun home and keeping it, but sometimes it's a dirty cop taking a gun and selling it for $20 behind a McDonalds.

Wrong. Stolen weapons are regularly entered into NCIC. Its also something people frequently have the serial numbers for, because the case is elsewhere in the house, unlike lawnmowers or power tools, or Xboxes.

Where in NY? If it's downstate I'll come take it off your hands for you.

Keep it idiot
Police come knocking just tell them how you got it
Gun tracing is a shit show and there is no official registry so they pretty much have to go from person to person, starting at the manufacturer if the gun is ever used in a crime.

Or just sell it. No reason to destroy it.

UPS it to me and I will square cash you for it.

>Police come knocking just tell them how you got it
NO

Don't talk to the police, say nothing and tell them you aren't answering any of their questions without a lawyer.

All these replies not one "Shoot a dindu with it".

>because the case is elsewhere in the house
Or because the owner has a list of all his gat serials stashed away somewhere secure.

Wow, a druggie and a liberal cuckold. Your ancestors would spit on you.

So you’re literally just making shit up cause you have an axe to grind against the police. McFucking kill yourself

Attached: 0903A448-BBB7-4148-B7E9-5BE9E2EBB63B.jpg (538x482, 98K)