What is the point of having .357 magnum with such a short fucking barrel??

What is the point of having .357 magnum with such a short fucking barrel??

Who is this marketed towards?

Attached: wm_9489995.jpg (2816x1872, 446K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/01/robert-farago/confirmed-smith-wesson-686-internal-lock-failed/
youtu.be/6_hF-C1Dl_0?t=123
youtu.be/qVwbZ0m2llQ
smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-revolvers-1980-present/562864-s-w-lock-failure-finally-happened.html
ar15.com/forums/hometown/Sandamp_W_Revolver_andapos_locksandapos__itself/34-307020/
forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=283817
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

People with small pockets.

boomers

no

yes

>Who is this marketed towards?

The mathematically ignorant like people who play the lottery.

inb4 an entire thread of REEEEEE ITS POWERFUL GAISE

Someone who wants a 5-10% increase in power over 9mm but with 50-75% more recoil and ear bleeding.

I guess they make sense if people just want a larger framed .38 but snubbies in general just seem stupid to me. I'd rather just get a long boi .38 or a .45LC New Service.

Doesnt mean you have to put 357 through it you tard. It's made out of exotic metals that are strong enough to take 357.

.38 S&W ballistics with .44 Magnum muzzle blast.

I would wager that's at least 120% more ear bleeding.

>strong enough to take 357.

lol look at OPs pic you enormous faggot. You see that little sheet of metal right behind the forcing cone on the frame? That's to keep the flame from cutting through the frame too fast. Those uber LW guns are meant to be carried a lot and shot barely at all. If you don't send it to S&W after so many rounds to get that little shield replaced pic related happens.

Guns like OPs and my pic are top tier meme guns for dudes with more money than sense.

Attached: 44kaboom01.jpg (600x339, 63K)

Hey nogunz how is it going? Oh by the way even .38 out of that thing would be junk :)

Revolverfags are one small step above women, mentally speaking. You can market a slew of retarded things to them and they eat it up.

>the flame cuts the frame

There are people on this board that actually believe this.

Revolvers have been relegated to self defense weapons against animals while hunting, and even then they are bested by 10mm even for large game defense

lol okay i'll bite >you

Think again retard. S&W's scandium revolvers can weigh 11 ounces. Less than a LCR that's made out of plastic.

Attached: 20190116_153619.jpg (4032x1960, 2.19M)

even if you miss everyone around you will be deaf
it's marketed to deaf people

google "revolver flame cutting"

Attached: flame_cut1.jpg (856x830, 107K)

Those who do not value their hearing

>Hammerless
>Lightweight
>Snub 38

HAHAHAHAAHAAH oh man thanks I needed that this week

Don't feed the trolls dipshit.

LW hammerless j frame is GOAT pocket gun. Anyone who disagrees is trolling or too stupid to know how stupid they are.

Haha sure thing man, hope you did not pay too much and hopefully you paid online instead of getting laughed at in the store got purchasing something like that

This is how you spot someone that can't shoot.

Snubs make sense in a package like pic related.

Attached: Ruger SP101.jpg (960x720, 78K)

Dont see what your point is. A replaceable shield seems like a great idea if this is an issue. And it wouldn't be an issue just for S&W. No one is going to put 5000 rounds of 357 through their snubnose.

That's an absolute fucking thing, yes.
For instance, .357 Maximum lost most of its steam on the market when it was found it was flamecutting the frame of revolver chambered for it.
It was later found that a 180gr bullet would generally alleviate this, but it's a demonstrable thing nonetheless.

Attached: 357maximum.png (150x549, 133K)

The point is a normal steel or aluminum framed revolver would take thousands and thousands of rounds for flame cutting to become a safety issue. If the shield on a scandium gun is lost or not replaced on schedule your gun is gonna kaboom on you. Also shooting 357 or 44 out of such a light gun is fucking retarded. The only people buying those scandi guns are people with very little actual shooting experience.

In that case why don't you carry .22 faggot

Yeah, but the Ruger doesn't come with a lock mechanism that seizes up under recoil.

Niggers

I'd carry this .22 no problem.

Attached: Model 351 C.jpg (1280x720, 832K)

Ok? Are you saying that guns wear out when you shoot them a lot? You must be a brain surgeon or something.

and neither does SW

Fuck I have a 686 and a 629 with tens of thousands through them a piece and neither fucking lock has ever engaged.

>thinking you need more than 2 inches to get the job done

Excessive flamecutting, dipshit, as in premature wear.

Yet.

Cause I'm not a limp wristed faggot like you?

And it has a shield to prevent that so what the fuck are you complaining about

This generally doesn't happen to semi-autos like at all. A revolver could last some 15k rounds before you start getting ludicrous cutting seen in Depending on the bullets, the loads, timing, etc.

Likewise a glock or a mp9 or the dozen popular semi-autos out there will last indefinitely without a major structural failure like cutting. A semi-auto will shoot out the barrel, or wear out the springs or break a striker before you ever get something like a slide fatiguing out or a frame wearing away and can't house the slide anymore.

Those shoot weak bullets lmao

So you are saying the semi auto is more likely to have a malfunction that can prevent firing, but it is minor to the structural integrity of the firearm

Whereas the revolver might have a big issue maybe over the course of years possibly decades? and only if you are ignorant to it completely?

Sign me up for a wheelgun

>Yet.
yea fucking yet. The modern locks can't engage under recoil, the motion isn't in their favor. Early on, anecdotes appeared about this but it was merely anecdotes and there's no reproducibility in any of it. SW supposedly fixed this issue in the late 90's and ever since you'll get retards like you trying to claim these dragons of fable are real.

That's where these come in.

Attached: Wildey .45 Winchester Magnum.jpg (1000x667, 176K)

>SW supposedly fixed this issue in the late 90's

uhm no sweetie it's never been "fixed". The flaw is in the design. Locks like Taurus puts in their revolvers are off the axis of recoil so it's impossible for them to lock due to rotational forces during firing. Nu-Smith is a bucket of fail.

thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/01/robert-farago/confirmed-smith-wesson-686-internal-lock-failed/

>So you are saying the semi auto is more likely to have a malfunction that can prevent firing, but it is minor to the structural integrity of the firearm
Well yea. Largely on a semi-auto there are simpler mechanisms that actually have some level of routine maintenance or serviceability. For example one of the first parts you might have to swap in a semi-auto is a recoil spring or an extractor, the parts that work the most. But remember modern semi-autos come with recoil springs that don't just wear out in 10k rounds, more like they can go 20k+ before they seriously start to fatigue their strength just under pure fatigue.

Take a revolver, I would bet more your trigger spring or hammer springs would fail long before you notice cutting however cutting is likely to become more prevalent before a semi-auto's slide fails under fatigue.

Buffalo Bore tactical magnum feels marginally snappier than a 38 +p, and the flash is less than a 3 inch 40sw.

Magnum snubbies are great as long as you get the right ammo for em and you get a full steel one that's fuck heavy

Who cares about slide fatigue or frame cutting, it is the small shit that gets you

Revolvers are more reliable but semi autos are the better weapon

This is literally what I'm talking about. Anecdotally something happened to someone and he wrote a fucking blog about it. The fact that there are MORE anecdotes of them NOT locking up is far more believable in the current matter of things. Trying to cherry pick instances is like an anti-vaxxer mom trying to google for shit to support her anti-vax shit and blowing it out of the water literally a fucking red herring.

>Revolvers are more reliable but semi autos are the better weapon
Not necessarily, there are tons of mechanical failures that happen to revolvers that are exclusive to revolvers.

youtu.be/6_hF-C1Dl_0?t=123

In fact I would put money on that when it comes to normal operation, a revolver is MORE prone to jam than a semi-auto ever will be.

Either it's possible for a thing to happen or it's not. It's possible for a S&W lock to fail because it exists.

Its also a matter of the lack of reproducibility. You never see any real study or science around trying to get these things to reproduce the issue. Its always one of stories you've heard of but have no real evidence otherwise on how the mechanism fails, why, or anything. In fact its so rare and extraneous you're more likely to believe it purely because you heard a rumor and not because you're smart (because you aren't) and have actually analyzed anything about it.

No you are dumb trying to blow a red herring out of the water pretending this is a real issue when its not even remotely significant, congrats you're like a retarded politician trying to pretend that mass shootings are anything but a statistical anomaly. I would be willing to bet that a SW from the factory would be more prone to falling out of timing before that lock ever engages.

I'm sorry you fell for the cuck lock S&W user. It's bad and you should feel bad. I have no pity in my heart for you.

Wow man I really appreciate your apology. Not every day I get to hear someone admit they were wrong, naive, or ignorant in any capacity.

That’s cause you’re a gay retard nigger

I have 6" 686-4. Y u buy Hilary Hole? Not Buy used or ruger?

another user here, I would argue that good quality da/sa revolvers arent any more reliable than a good mid priced auto loader of you dont count the time it takes to correct for a dud round (rack slide versus pull again) which is extremely rare on premium ammunition.
A SA only blackhawk is probably the most reliable handgun that holds more than one round.

Calibre?

>I would argue that good quality da/sa revolvers arent any more reliable than a good mid priced auto loader

You can argue that but you're wrong. If you had more shooting experience you'd be able to admit that autos malfunction at a much higher rate than revolvers but those malfunctions will usually be easy/quick to remedy. While a revolver will malfunction less if it does go down it's probably gonna stay down much longer until it can be repaired.

>thread about revolvers
>3/4 of the posts are people whining about how shooting the gun damages the frame
>continuing to recommend revolvers ever
theres a reason that revolvers were phased out

Yes. Capacity and reload speed. Relevant for war or police, hardly relevant for anything else.

Flame cutting is not a problem with most revolvers, it's only an issue for hyped up magnums firing lightweight bullets. You see it with silhoutte shooters firing Bubba's special handloads over and over again in a .357 supermag. It's hardly a problem with most revolvers.

Want to talk about a common firearms problem? Feed lip damage.

I have one of those.

Not very practical, but great for pissing off fudds or clearing the line at the range when someone decides to act like a douchebag.

.38 Special
They make them in .357 Magnum and .327 Magnum too

Attached: Ruger SP101 .38 Special.jpg (2592x1812, 711K)

>get btfo by anons
>h-hah n-no S&W BTFO!

literally you

Attached: 318271da980706f7a18a811c3456a77d.png (633x758, 16K)

So Smith&Wesson has something new to sell Yankee Marshal.

He already owns it

For the same size of that gun, you could have a 10mm glock 29 which will shoot 10 hollowpoints that will expand to nearly a full Inch, or ap solid copper rounds, or hardcast bear loads that will penetrate over 5 feet of tissue

youtu.be/qVwbZ0m2llQ

FLASH. BANG.

Nuff said

Yankee Marshall?

Attached: 2C61B546-0A5A-49BC-9295-8AD1345DF4BF.jpg (960x537, 101K)

I'm gonna ask you kindly to please never post that image again user.

>what is .38 special HST

based

(You). This is well known. Learn something about machining and materials before opening your mouth again.

Yo, user. The S&W locks engage when you shoot them. It's a well documented thing. It happens most often on the super light frames because the steel isn't there to adsorb the recoil. The issue I (And a lot of other people have) is that these are self defense guns. THey're not toys. If you have a gun that has the slightest possibility of straight up not functioning during normal shooting, that's a big problem. That normal shooting could be in defense of your life. Or it could be at the range. That's the problem.

>well documented
>only evidence are a single blog post and comments on forums and youtube

smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-revolvers-1980-present/562864-s-w-lock-failure-finally-happened.html

ar15.com/forums/hometown/Sandamp_W_Revolver_andapos_locksandapos__itself/34-307020/

forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=283817

It's not the fact of "It almost never happens!" it's the fact that it ever happens at all. The possibility for the gun to lock up is the entire problem. We keep and use guns for self defense, something (In america) that's somewhat of an outlier, however, it stops being a statistic when it starts being you. The chances of the lock locking up is greater than zero and thus, unacceptable.

So you need a peer-reviewed scientific study before you'll admit a non-essential mechanism that has the potential to fail is bad product design and was foisted upon the consumer in support of a political agenda that is antithetical to those same consumers?

Do you work for S&W or are you just so invested in being a S&W brandfag that reason can find no purchase in that barren landscape you call a brain?

>it stops being a statistic when it starts being you

It's not the odds...it's the stakes...

Oh, and as a side note, I had a S&W J-frame sheer the trigger pin CLEAN OFF.

Pictures inbound

Attached: IMG_20181006_164620.jpg (5312x2988, 970K)

Snubs like in OP pic are for point defense
no more no less. They always have been and always will be.
They serve a purpose.

KNOCK DOWN POWER

We need substantial evidence, standard reproducible evidence, it one off stories with absolutely no detail.

You're a fucking retard.

This was a gun rated for .38 Special +p
it was a model 642. To their credit, S&W replaced the entire frame with the EXACT model(No lock), but shit like this happens. THe gunsmith friend who took this shit apart has confirmed that this is a known issue with anything not a steel framed J-frame.

Attached: IMG_20181006_164625.jpg (5312x2988, 792K)

This is the same as believing on the glocknade bullshit

You heard some stories about how the glock in 40sw were exploding, you believed it and gave it credit, years later you regurgitate it like it's fact when really its not. Low and behold you find out it was purely circumstantial in every case and it was retards running high pressure shit the gun was never rated for.

>asserts mechanical things can't possibly break if they don't do it all the time

>calls me a retard

What did he mean by this?

>my friend confirmed this is a known issue
And my dad works for Nintendo and he says there's a new f-zero game coming to switch.

>lemme talk this red herring by citing anecdotes
>oh no I have no way of knowing or validating anything I say but if you question me you're denying my absolutely true stories.

Can we agree that adding parts/complexity to a mechanism increases the number of potential failure points?

Can we agree that the S&W internal lock adds parts/complexity?

Can we agree that adding potential failure points to a mechanism intended to protect your life is sub-optimal?

Can we agree that adding potential failure points to a mechanism intended to protect your life to support the agenda of people who want to see you unable to protect your life is reprehensible?

>Substantial evidence

Not really. The fact that it's happened once, on camera, in a semi-controlled environment is enough for me.

It's like a potmetal Jennings JA-NINE handgun. They don't always rapidly disassemble themselves, but when they do, it's usually during shooting, and that makes them bad self defense firearms becaue you're not sure if your gun, when you go to use it to defend yourself, that it will not work.

These aren't target guns. They're self defense weapons. If glocks jammed 1% of the time with good ammo, good mags, and a clean gun, it wouldn't be considered a good firearm for self defense. If it was something INHERENT in the design of the weapon that gave it that 1%, you can be damn sure they'd make sure to fix it.

>Can we agree that adding parts/complexity to a mechanism increases the number of potential failure points?
No because you aren't saying this. You're back pedaling into it because you're trying to blow rumors out of the water with what is literally a red herring.

You aren't arguing on any mechanical systems you're just saying it because you think it's simple and matter of fact but what you're really saying is far more complex and full of fuddlore nonsense.

Yes. He has personally fixed twelve of them.

The issue is that the J-frame design has largely not changed since the Model 36. As such you use a lighter, but weaker metals that are essentially built the same taking the same stresses, shit's gonna snap. This is a non-issue on the Model 36s, but it's been seen in the Model 37s, the 642s/442s, 638s/438s, and other non-steel J-frame handguns.

I love my Smiths, but S&W has had a tendency to be retarded, like with the introduction of the Model 19 that absoloutely can not handle a steady diet of full power .357.

>Not really. The fact that it's happened once, on camera, in a semi-controlled environment is enough for me.
Except it's not. It isn't controlled and you belive it because you have a confirmation bias. They can't reproduce it and have Noa ccords for any of it other than "this happened to me and it happened this way I said it pls believe me"

You Google these things and you see what you want to hear not what is actually the truth. You have cognitive dissonance out the ass.

>my friend is an expert and he says so so its real

My dad works for Nintendo

No, it's pretty simple.

S&W added parts/complexity to a proven-reliable design to placate political forces intent on disarming the American people.

I don't like that and don't give S&W any of my monies and I will shitpost about it until I die. I am severely bootyblasted about it because I love me some S&W revolvers and I'm sad to see what they have become in current year.

Woah a nintendo just flew over my house

You didn't even read what I said and you just regurgitated the same shit.

hard boiled detectives

What you said was retarded tho...

Attached: 1514955001678.jpg (500x570, 36K)

Detectives

Haha next thing he’s gonna say is that burning jet fuel makes mild steel ductile, fucking dumbasses!

>I didn't read it but it's retarded.

Attached: 00bc74dd2e72862ba4d4a02b0ec2aff6.jpg (1135x1600, 338K)