Ruck thread

>cheap
>reliable
>light
>aesthetic
None of those fuckers that make you look like a Nepalese pilgrim in the Himalayas
Recommendations?

Attached: 0F49F990-D268-4D67-B5BF-725B2269C05F.jpg (300x300, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

varusteleka.com/en/product/bw-mountain-troops-rucksack-surplus/1014
varusteleka.com/en/product/bw-combat-rucksack-flecktarn-surplus/1250
milworld.pl/product-eng-4310-Mil-Tec-Touristic-Rucksack-Bundeswehr-BW-Flecktarn.html
sportsmansguide.com/product/index/german-military-surplus-nylon-110l-combat-rucksack-used?a=2165531&pm2d=CSE-SPG-15-PLA&utm_medium=PLA&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=CI&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsNCO4NP93wIVi56fCh2Paw6BEAkYBSABEgI5zPD_BwE
amazon.com/ALPS-OutdoorZ-Commander-Pack-Bag/dp/B004R7L7YU/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1548033536&sr=8-13&keywords=hunter backpack
military1st.co.uk/k16072-01-pentagon-eos-backpack-black.html
rodastjarnan.com/vaskor-och-ryggsackar
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Cheap and reliable?
>large ALICE
need more space?
>Tactical Taylor does mods again

Not a poorfag/need a ruck for work?
>mystery ranch mountain ruck
>^jumpable
>kifaru
>TacTaylor Malice mod3

if you get an alice it needs to be in good quality pr else itll be uncomfortable

LK35 nigga

There's a billion choices on the market, milsurp and civilian. How about you get a bit more specific. Desired volume would be a start. Is it for hiking? Climbing? Skiing? Train to train across the world? Desert trekking?

Honestly, camping.
Whenever I go innawoods or UrbEx, I’d like a relatively light pack that can still hold a lot for when I’m “on the field” while I hold the stuff I don’t need to bring with me in a duffle bag back at camp

>mike pls go

Okay so day walkies? No need for bringing tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag or food making equipment with you? A 20-25 liter pack will suffice?

happy with my german alpine pack. have a swedish m60 pack or whatever it is but the frame is too bulky for most uses and riding my motorcycle.

Probably not a tent but just enough to where I have enough for 1-2 nights if I can’t make it back to camp in time. Enough to hold a small amount of food, a small bedroll, some tools, and other shit

Okay, make it 35-40 liters then. That's a bit between the most standard current infantry packs. Varusteleka has a nice BW one for 30 euro.
varusteleka.com/en/product/bw-mountain-troops-rucksack-surplus/1014

Good luck trying to wear it out. That one is out of stock but they have a bunch of alternative milsurp ones in similar size who are even below 10 euro.

Personally, if I could only have one backpack, I'd go for no less than 60 liters though. Better to have spare room on some trips than not enough on some. For that, this one is a good choice:
varusteleka.com/en/product/bw-combat-rucksack-flecktarn-surplus/1250

>cheap
>reliable
>light
Pick two.

How small are modern tents anyway? A small Tarp and a good sleeping bag will do the job.

>mystery ranch mountain ruck
This ruck is fucking god tier.
I put a whole 200lb black bear sans bones into it. Hide, skull, meat, everything. The only thing that hurt after the pack-out was my legs.

Attached: i-gazed-upon-your-eyes-and-knew-you-were-my-3616971.png (500x350, 45K)

My newest tent is about 1100 grams and I consider it roomy; it will fit me, my pad, my bag, and have plenty room for my backpack. on the side. A tarp alone would be lighter and not require external packing straps. But around here, I need to plan not just for rain but mosquitos as well and tarps are not so good for that.

Mystery Ranch is best ranch.

I actually own 3 mystery packs at this point. 2 day packs and 1 big boi pack. Very nice stuff.

Thanks m8 I’ll keep an eye out for if they go back in stock

I’m honestly thinking of getting a Polish Lavvu. Stayed in one before and it was pretty comfy as long as you have a ground tarp and bedroll

Attached: C3CAABCE-0EA3-422B-923C-05D02842DB85.jpg (300x225, 16K)

I have a poorfag modular setup where I have a daypack/light go bag strapped to an ALICE pack. I keep the go bag with me everywhere, then when I have room or am camping I keep it with the ALICE pack to make a complete bugout bag. Works pretty well and was pretty all made from Walmart, hand-me-down, or thrift store parts

>paying $400-$800 for a backpack

Attached: dogdisgusted.gif (200x270, 1.09M)

If you want a civilian alternative, the Mil-Tec Touristic is good value for the price. I own an earlier version of this and it has yet to fall apart in use. Slightly inferior to military spec in quality but for the price of a burger meal with trimmings, what do you ask?

milworld.pl/product-eng-4310-Mil-Tec-Touristic-Rucksack-Bundeswehr-BW-Flecktarn.html

Just one question. Weight?

a poncho and full mosquito net makes a great 1-man shelter if you are in an environment with trees to hang it from.

I like my GORUCK. It’s not cheap, but will last forever.

Poncho, net, and rope equals how much weight? My tent has light weight rods and require neither securing plugs nor nearby trees. And it is mosquito secure. But each to their taste, really. If it really came down to it I could spend a night in a garbage plastic bag.

Hill people gear is my go to these days for most things. Its a bit smaller than alice but its easily the most comfortable pack ive used, and ive had a handful of normal hiking packs.

Stick to your alice crap then, user

The man fit's every part of the black bear he wants in a backpack and you're scoffing at the price. I'm disabled as fuck and hunt in different states every year, if it helps me get game out of the field easier that's all the endorsement I need. If you have cheaper alternatives, please recommend them.

search "high sierra 60l backpack" on amazon. They are made of a lightweight ripstop fabric and look like any other backpackers bag. I've used them and like them. If you want to look like a faggot larper and get a heavy bag go for milsurp.

If you want actual good recommendations go to /out/. Despite what you may think Jow Forums doesn't know shit about camping outside of day hikes and sleeping in a car.

Yeah, my impression from going on /out/ is they hate ALICE packs because modern stuff is so much better that the weight is a big downside. Its not worth it to spring for milsurp when 20-30 dollars more gets you legitimately modern good stuff.

>that the weight is a big downside
It's a huge downside. I get liking the durability of something. I'm one of those faggots who likes metal and wood guns, but at some point you have to realize the advantage of a polymer gun. Same with gear. Leather and canvas is nice, but ripstop nylon is half (if not more) the weight and as strong as anyone could realistically need it to be.

For a light pack it doesn't really matter. It's when you need to carry heavy that old packs, milsurp or civilian, become a problem. The back and hip straps and the stiffening in the back have developed a lot over the last couple of decades.

/out/ and a lot of places talk out their asses when it comes to bags. If you want quality, get Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, or Hill People Gear, whichever one fits your needs better. MR has a wider product line and their bags are the easiest to fit, Kifaru has a similar external frame that some people find more comfortable, Hill People gear is the most challenging in terms of fit but they have a wonderful harness system that adapts to a shitload of bags.

Under 22l the harness system doesn't really matter a ton, nor do you need a waist belt, so you can buy pretty much any bag you want. Osprey makes some great daypacks that minimize contact with the back for sweat reduction, but over 22l or 25lb (approximately) you want the stability of a good yoke and decent belt.

Pretty much anything REI tier is decent and probably will suffice, but the aforementioned companies make a product that's just better in terms of both design and manufacturing. None of them are indestructible, but they'll outlast the competition in all reasonable use, and carry far better in the process.

Oh, and avoid ultralight packs. They're bullshit. Zero fucking reason to go with them.

Never hear of MR, will look further. And while i'm struggling to find anything spec wise to argue with your post about, /out/ at at least has a base knowledge and some experience with backpacking unlike 90% of Jow Forums.

>minimize contact with the back for sweat reduction
The first pack I ever had that did this was a high sierra pack. Fucking life changing.

>avoid ultralight anything
Good advice. I've seen too many youtube videos with guys preaching that you should only need a razorblade, a poncho, and some fresh socks on a hike and it scares me that people might listen.

Mystery Ranch is an interesting story. Way back when the owner founded Dana Design, which is still pretty legendary in the outdoor community. He restarted under Mystery Ranch in the early 2000s because some SEALs got issued shit packs and went looking for the guy who built their old Dana Designs bags for a replacement. Up until about 2010 they really only served military and firefighters in any significant capacity, and made gear for local hunters.

I definitely agree about /out/ vs Jow Forums and that was a bit of a cop-out on my part, my issue is that /out/ and a lot of outdoor forums are filled with people who frankly don't spend that much time outside and don't really know gear. Not throwing shade here, it's just a simple fact that a lot of people don't live near the outdoors and only spend time there when they can get away from their jobs and lives, and gear is a confusing and complex world.

As for the sweat reduction thing- it's fucking great for smaller packs. I'm not a fan on anything I've handled thus far that used a dedicated hip belt though. Apparently MR did some new packs with their own system, I'd be excited to see that as their yoke and waist belt system have ruined me. Having it be A. modular and B. not requiring a bunch of bullshit getting the framesheet to fit the curve of the spine has really ruined me.

Nah, ultralight gear has a place- but its place is in the gear, not the bags. The crazy cut-your-toothbrush shit is fine for trail hiking, lighter weight, minimalist gear for general use is fine. Issue is if you save weight on a bag by compromising its ability to carry weight, you're weighing yourself down moreso than you would by carrying a fuckoff heavy bag with the proper load bearing system. Plus anyone who's not trail hiking NEEDS sustainment gear of some kind (variable on area, experience, distance from civilization, etc), as well as a pack that can survive a fall or some damage without getting shredded.

Swiss m90 ruck with Smersh

Attached: image.jpg (750x1334, 415K)

sportsmansguide.com/product/index/german-military-surplus-nylon-110l-combat-rucksack-used?a=2165531&pm2d=CSE-SPG-15-PLA&utm_medium=PLA&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=CI&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsNCO4NP93wIVi56fCh2Paw6BEAkYBSABEgI5zPD_BwE

this german milsurp one looks shiggy diggy

why not just get a hiking backpack?
why anyone would choose a surplus ruck over an ergonomic backpack thats far superior blows my mind.
I mean 100$ can get anyone a starter/entry level backpacking bag from osprey/berghaus/REI/north face etc. etc.

you dont have to have army issued stuff and you guys seem to want army issued stuff over superior civilian market items?

why order a ruck when you can have this?
amazon.com/ALPS-OutdoorZ-Commander-Pack-Bag/dp/B004R7L7YU/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1548033536&sr=8-13&keywords=hunter backpack

Attached: bo knows.jpg (360x309, 28K)

Might be the place to ask, what's a good and easy to set up shelter for 1 man and dog? Priority is ease of deployment as I'm super crippled.

British PLCE Bergan, available in DPM, MTP and if you're lucky, you can find one of the older OD ones.

Osprey backpack in a subdued color+ Multicam raincover.

OP, you’re looming for a hiking pack. Rucks have their place, but there’s no reason to not get a good hiking pack. Don’t go ultralight and external frame is kinda rough after a while.

I have a Kelty bag and it’s pretty comfy, but buckles can be kind of weak. Osprey is pretty much the go to now and they have a bag for everyone. You’re gonna be hating life after 10 miles with a heavy ruck. Hiking bags take the weight off of your shoulders and put it on your hips. It takes a little getting used to, but is much better for doing any serious innawoods stuff.

t. hiker. Been to multiple trips on the AT and climbed Anterro.

Rucks are aesthetic tho

They’re not that heavy. It’s the weight of a normal poncho and you can sash it. You need two to create the tent, so one in the bag and one on you

ALICE packs aren’t even that durable. It’s unfortunate because I like the actual pack a lot, but 1 mile into a 5 mile ruck-run I had the aluminum hoop thing on the frame that holds the hip belt snap off. It made for a very uncomfortable rest of PT. The only people who still buy the durable ALICE pack meme are boomers and nerds who don’t actually use their gear. At current prices they are absolutely not worth it.

rucks are for cucks

Attached: backpack.jpg (1200x800, 95K)

Whats up with those meme tier names. Gun companies used to be classy.

They aren't gun companies they are backpacking gear companies they have always been faggy.

And it's the same reason there are now big anime tiddies at shotshow, it's popular.

buy a cheap old 2 door jeep wrangler and car camp with that.

how do you trap one to a smersh

Can 2nd mystery ranch. Had 101 different packs. Love hate relationship. Get MR 6500 and ASAP. Sell all other packs. They are the best packs I have ever used. Never looking back.Recently been eyeballing the blackjack 50 for a middle size.

I've got an osprey volt 50, by far better than any larpfag pack.

If you can find an old ADF M88 Field Pack they're fantastic.

Strong as fuck, ridiculously well made, the back is reinforced and padded to stop you getting poked and prodded by shit in the pack, really nice straps that spread and support ridiculously heavy loads well and it's extremely easy to strap anything and everything to them.

The core pack is only two separate compartments, a top and bottom, but they're both huge (you can fit a full slab of beer in the top one no problems) and the entire pack can expand to hold an unholy amount or be cinched up if you want something smaller.

Attached: AusFieldPack.jpg (800x533, 306K)

Done

Now can you answer the question.

Attached: 20190113_174141.jpg (4032x1960, 2.37M)

Seconding this user. I have their 36L assault pack and it does very well for the price.

I have a kelty redwing 50 I use for day hikes. It's a bit large for what it gets used for but it holds all my shit and when I do go camping it works 10/10. Would definitely look into an actual hiking bag as opposed to surplus. And Kelty even has a "tactical" line of their bags if thats the look you're going for.

military1st.co.uk/k16072-01-pentagon-eos-backpack-black.html

Just found me a nice 65 liter McKinley Northpark for a couple of dollars at a second hand store. Probably a decade old but besides some dirt which'll go away with some washing powder and a rinse in warm water, the only damage seem to be a couple of broken plastic locks. I have replacements lying around for that so it'll be fine. Seem to be pretty solid stuff otherwise with two aluminium bars stiffening the back. Height adjustment built in from Small, Medium to Large and access to compartment from underside with an optional room divider.

Here have a Swedish milsurp website, cheap and authentic and with a mix of modern brands

In swedish though so have fun navigating that shit, ships pretty much world wide

rodastjarnan.com/vaskor-och-ryggsackar

>being poor

Are these standard issue?

Attached: Svart.jpg (839x963, 456K)

>paying that much money for a basic-bitch unsupported bookbag.

fucking lol

Mine's gotten pretty old but broken in pretty well.

South African Engineering at it's finest

Attached: 48120590-cached.jpg (800x500, 153K)

Oops

Attached: 57e555700b79ebb42c44ba5aa7dcab04.jpg (236x292, 12K)

fucking kek

Idk bro looks like the frame can barely take that load

Attached: 1487646387916.png (830x987, 721K)

Lern 2 green text properly you fggt

Fucking sausage packs are trash unless you install an ALICE frame on them.

They're kind of heavy but as basically indestructavle.

I haven't laughed that hard all day