.44 magnum in Chest Holster for bear

Looking for a bear gun. .44 500SW .454 .480 are on table.
Will be my primary pistol. I like that I can target shoot with special if I get .44. What am I missing?

Attached: guidesdiamond.jpg (1281x1920, 484K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UvxLnh-w1s8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Where do you live and hike?

Attached: 1547950958868[1].jpg (338x450, 71K)

Live in TX. Elk in CO and Utah. Salmon in Alaska. Hike summers in Maine. Looking to settle in Montana in 15 years.

How much experience do you have with each respective cartridge? Are there budgetary concerns? Are you actually going to take the time to practice with your choice (read: even if it hurts)?

Watch some YT videos of how bears react to getting hit in the vitals with carefully aimed shots from powerful rifles, and you'll immediately understand why blinding them with bear spray is statistically the safest option.

Whoa, whoa, don't forget 460 S&W Magnum.

460XVR in a galco Kodiak rig

Attached: IMG_20190119_234735-1210x1432.jpg (1210x1432, 787K)

Budget under $2000. for reference was looking at Magnum Research BFR 6.5" and S&W model 29 pinned and fluted.
I have no experience with any of the cartridges,
Yeah. I go the the range once or twice a week. Kick I don'tr really mind, will be using it no matter what or trading if unbearable (punny I know). Was hoping to balance that recoil component with a special style target round and a full frame, rather than the lighter backpacker/guide models, and choosing the smallest caliber I saw recommended for alaskan bear on the internet

I have. Thats why I carry bear spray. Have you seen interviews with survivors though? If you are 5 miles from your truck that bear may be following you and charging multiple times. Watch this guy's full interview...not the cnn one. youtube.com/watch?v=UvxLnh-w1s8

Yeah but that doesn't give you an excuse to carry around a huge gun does it. Why even be on Jow Forums with that attitude?

I need them links

OK 460 SW! Whats great about it? Similar ballistics to what? What's a pointblank Energy can I expect with say a Buffalo Bore or similar hand-load?

100% of times bear spray was deployed the person/people survived. Many of these survivors are still attacked though, and getting attacked means there's a chance of being maimed for life. Spray is not enough. Stats were put out by the government recently on this, I'm blanking on the agency rn.

>460XVR
Oh! I can use .45 Long Colt! I'm kind of sold.

Similar to hot .45-70
~2800 ft/lbs/2000fps
Can also load .45 Colt and .454 Casull
Gain-twist rifling

Personal experience with the gun? Thoughts?
Any problem getting it used? By that I mean, 'should I be looking for something' if I buy it second hand? Lots of guns shows and shops down here.

So spray, then headshot while it's distracted?

Grip screw and rear sight screws started to back out after ~300 rounds, might want to loctite them ahead of time
Carbon fouling can build up under the ejector plate when firing .45 colt and cause to to protrude enough to gum up the action, I haven't experienced the issue with .460s
Higher round count guns will likely show evidence of flame cutting above the forcing cone, though the top strap is pretty thick
I quite like mine

I hope you realize that regardless of what you pick it's going to be very expensive to feed unless you handload.

Just get an automatic in 10mm. Jesus.

Lot of gun. Top of the short list right now. Seems to check the boxes. Very informative, going to start sniffing around for one this week.
Yes I realize. I hope you realize I'm not buying it to save money. I save all my brass, reloading is happening after my next move.
I don't think the spray really "distracts them". The interviews I've seen, it seems like these people still get pushed to the ground, bitten and mauled. The bear goes off alittle to deal with its eyes, the person runs, the bear follows and the cycle repeats. In my mind its spray, hopefully friend shoots it, get attacked, bear deals with eyes, then kill it, when it charges again. I've been out with people who don't like guns as well, so I'd probably give them the spray after this purchase.
I'm considering a title 2 license.next one up seems like a huge pain.

Fuck off, remove pooh

Attached: bear poster2.jpg (756x324, 53K)

>Similar to hot .45-70
>~2800 ft/lbs/2000fps
user are you from the 1800's? holy shit. Hot 45-70 is easily 3700ft-lb in commercial loading's. Granted, with a short revolver barrel that is going to be a lower.

Does bear spray work on wolves and coywolves?

Yes. I came here to suggest bear spray to OP.
You should grab it first in an animal encounter.
Replace it when it expires, and use the expired cans for whatever nuisance animals you come across that aren't necessarily life threatening, but need to be taught a fear of humans.
Also carry a pistol in case you need to fatal something/someone- but pepper spray is the best first thing

Freedom Arms Model 83 in .454 Casull. Pretty much the best large caliber revolver you can buy.
It's pretty light for it's kind which makes it nice to carry and even shoot one-handed. Not to mention it being of superb quality.
.454 Casull I like because it gives you a good 50% more power than a .44 Magnum and at that point you are reaching rifle level shock power values.
This is important, since firepower can NEVER substitute shock power no matter how many shots you pump out.
The ammo for .454 is also more plentiful than .480 Ruger, .475 Linebaugh and a lot cheaper than .500 S&W.
If you're in a pinch (or just training) you can always run .45 Colts through any .454 Casull so you can learn handling on the range.

The most important thing remains training, though. Get used to the gun and shoot drills that replicate bear attacks.
Also practice drawing from a few different positions and get it in your head that you don't just take your gun off. Cost a guy his life recently.
If you cannot handle a handgun well enough, just get a short pump and load it with slugs.

Attached: 9569210b32b1a22f9c95c1d5228d755d.jpg (420x259, 48K)

Let's say you're hunting. You have your rifle slung around you and probably in your hands. You aren't elmer fudd so it's a magazine fed semi auto in a large caliber, with at least 20 rounds available. You told the guy at the range one for the deer, 19 for communists.

Magdump into smokey or fumble for the bear spray without getting caught on your own gun?

You can only hunt with 5 round pinned mags in my state.

460S&W should bump up to nearly 4000ft/lbs in a 20" barrel, based on the data from Big Horn Armory, I simply haven't acquired one of their rifles to verify.

You should go Google just how safe that bear spray is. It doesn't have the best of range, chances of it working is not 100% (I'd barely even say 70%) and most the time you get hit with back spray too, so if the bear didn't stop, chances are you yourself are fucked by the spray and now have to defend yourself. It's a lot easier to put yourself between a large tree and the predator, mag dump his ass.
.T Alaskan fag and guide of over 15 years.

This OP
Kids can shoot the 44 special without complaint
Comes milled for scope

Attached: 380408BC-3045-4B57-8F29-686190A6BC3B.jpg (2592x1936, 1.26M)

Raging Judge wirh Hornady critical defense rounds.

Glock 40

>SAO for bears

Nah, senpai. The fire rate on SA is like 30 RPM with practice.

Attached: OMGBecky.jpg (684x513, 112K)

I didn't know you could have such guns in Australia

Glock in 10mm

After you figure out your pistol look at Gunfighters Inc Kenaii Chest Holsters

Buy a Glock 19 and just use that.

Google bear attack and bullet caliber stats. Literally any handgun caliber will work.

Those fuckers tried to charge me ~$200 for a regular kydex shoulder holder for a Sig p238 just because they had to make the kydex part custom even though it’s a super common gun REEEEE

I have a Ruger Alaskan in .454 casull but I carry my 10mm.

Attached: DSCF0524.jpg (1600x1200, 586K)

>GUNS DONT WORK
>DONT EVEN BOTHER
>SPRAY IT WITH SPICES INSTEAD
>SPICY BEARS ARE GONE BEARS

thats gonna be a no from me dawg

I'm planning to motorcycle camp through Alaska. Grizzly and Polar Bear territory.
I'm thinking of building an AR Pistol in 300blk.