What do you think the electrical hazard rating for bunny boots is?

What do you think the electrical hazard rating for bunny boots is?

I bought these after walking over a bunch of downed power lines doing storm duty but I never had a chance to use them for field duty like that because I got sent on a different contract.

Maybe I should ask /sci/?

Attached: bunnyboot.jpg (640x480, 66K)

Megger them and see what the insulation resistance is

When you're talking about testing for thousands of KV, that doesn't sound very affordable and I already spent $120 on them

Well that's your fault dumb dumb, how about buying boots purposely built to be electric resistant.

Because they don't make them like they used to and how the hell do you find all rubber cold weather boots with insulation that thic besides the bunny boots when you enjoy quality unused surplus?

If you were risking death daily by walking over downed power lines with no knowledge of when the grid was energized, what boot would you want?

You know transmission lines can get up towards 1 million KV?!

Also
>All rubber
>Mad thick insulation
>Implying that not perfect for insanely high KV

I made a judgement call.

Oh shit actually I bought Mickey Mouse boots, the type one. Only rated to -20.

That should still be fine.

Bunny boots are rated for -60. I don't see myself going that far north or south anytime soon.

Ya you'll die if you go anywhere near powerlines with those.

Figure about 600v

Attached: 1501027925697.jpg (911x1481, 406K)

>1 million KV
>1 million thousand volts
How about you just say 1 GV

>Trusting uncertified gear to be safe because a cursory glance at the materials makes it sound like they should be fine
How are you still alive.
Because he's wrong. They reach up to 1000 kV or 1 MV.

You're talking about distribution lines, I was talking about transmission lines.

Well when you're on storm duty they don't require dielectric shoe covers so they don't hand them out.

Nothing wrong with trying to improvise.

Pretty much any electrician will have an insulation tester

>In July 2016, ABB Group received a contract in China to build an ultrahigh-voltage direct-current (UHVDC) land link with a 1100 kV voltage, a 3,000 km (1,900 mi) length and 12 GW of power, setting world records for highest voltage, longest distance, and largest transmission capacity.[8]
You're off by a factor of 1000 friend. (Also apparently they've surpassed 1000 kV now. Didn't know.)

Ok so the thing is:
1. You may be able to find out the resistance of those boots (at low voltage) and they may be fine for whatever purpose you want to use them. I am not an electrician and have frankly no idea if there's other things to consider. Be safe, wear actual safety shoes when you're required to.
2. There's no boots in the world that can save you from 1000 kV. The arc breakdown distance in air would be about 40 cm for that. But I understand the lines are off when you do things, so really, it doesn't matter.

If you are working for a legit electrical contractor the boots will be provided or you will be reimbursed for the boots. If not you have no business walking near power lines. The boots must be certified once a year usually when the bucket truck and tools are certified.

Oh shit your right I was saying kv instead of v. I was drunk.

Yeah but what's wrong with trying to give yourself the best chance of survival? Boots that thick that were made from solid rubber would be unwearable or unbearable if they even exist.

You'd be surprised. I've had to buy my own PPE twice now. Once for a rain suit and once for wading boots. I made the mistake of mishearing the boss. I should have bought waders.

Shit happens. I've had to lend my former foreman money plenty of times so he could expense it and pay me back and that was an international company.

My first day of work we didn't even have water in our cooler until lunch, we were running off what drops were left in it.

Mismanagement happens at all levels. Human error

After Micheal hit the panhandle I was walking over downed power lines left and right.

Even if they wanted us to wear shoe covers or something, they would have to drive them in. No overnight shipping after that.

You're lucky to find gas in your work area and lucky to find a road not covered in trees for days or weeks depending on the storms severity and because electric companies hire CONTRACTORS instead of using their own workforce, miscommunication happens much more frequently so even doing mundane work you might end up fucked without knowing it.

That is tax deductible from your gross pay. What kind of dip shit outfit are you working for? Non union?

Oh yeah, Disaster relive jobs. Yeah, people around here have trailers specific for disaster work. Coal trailers for hauling away the debris. Keep track of all expenses. Sleep in a van. Make some money.

where did you find them in stock in normal sizes? I need a 13R

I'm better off spending the time I'd spend wrangling reciepts on the clock unless my understanding of taxes is horribly wrong. I was never taught about taxes in school and if I was I don't remember much except handling w2s. I went to liberty tax last year.

Yes, non union. You must live up north.

And eat cold canned food and garbage from gas stations. 2/3s of the people I met that had been with that company for over twenty years were strong as mules but obese.

Literally just use Google. There are tons of them out there just be aware to order a size under your civilian size and if you need to send them back have a receipt of delivery and use priority mail. Also make sure if they are shipped by plane they'll be pressurized. Otherwise you'll need to open the valves

I'm size 10 1/2 to 11 civilian and I ended up returning them for a size 10W.

All you gotta do is collect them. Every 30 days stuff in envelope or take a picture and save it on your phone. Give the receipts to the tax preparer. Yeah food situation can suck. I traveled with a small grill.

I know enough about things I shouldn't to know that they know I expect them to take care of that.

If they are taxing me too much, it's their responsibility to fix it and it's my duty to trust that they do their best to be reasonable.

What gain to I have spending all that time to get pennies when I should be working and earning dollars?

And receipts are damn near impossible to keep up with.

You know how much H&R block pays one of their consultants an hour? You know their pay comes from my bill?

How in the hell can it be profitable for me to pay someone for hours and hours of going through an entire years worth of receipts unless the government is fucking stealing from me with insane tax amounts?

It's not worth my time for fifty extra dollars on my taxes. Spending hours and hours keeping up with that shit and risk having a tax consultant tack on extra fees....?

There's a thing called cutting your losses