Recently picked up a remington 1911 R1S, the hammer keeps hitting the grip safety thusly tarnishing it...is this normal?

Recently picked up a remington 1911 R1S, the hammer keeps hitting the grip safety thusly tarnishing it...is this normal?

Attached: IMG_20190126_162248.jpg (4032x3024, 697K)

yup

Not really normal on higher end 1911s

You need to shave down your hammer so this doesn't happen. Take about 40 thou off with a dremel and you'll be good to go.

*eyeballs 40 thou*

>Buying Remington
Found your problem bud

Trully appreciate the commentary from you all, but for the cash i threw down for this 1911 i dont know if im willing to grind down the hammer :/

Just really hope the hammer doesnt break down the line...

Attached: 20190125_174956-2016x1512.jpg (2016x1512, 764K)

Go take it back modern Remington is trash, I'm not even meming here.

It's not that bad, buddy. Just take a little bit off the back of the hammer, not much. Go test a mag. If you're good, stop. If it's still hitting, slightly more. Repeat til you're good.

Call up Remington and bitch, go through customer service or whatever. Bitch and whine your head off. Dont ever accept this.
You bought a gun, theres a flaw with the gun that right now you can see is damaging the gun and in the future can cause a catastrophic faliure.
Dont take this. Fucking hi point stands behind there guns and your going to accept this from something you payed a hell of a lot more for?
No dont bitch out. Get this fixed and if they send you another with the same problem raise hell all again.

Then subscribe to my tiktok channel

You don't have to grind it down, it will do it by itself eventually.

Dude, stop being so poor. A new hammer is like $50 so if it somehow doesn't work after you grind it down you can buy another one and start over. There's literally no reason it wouldn't work tho, I've done this on my 1911 and my dad's. Mark it out in high temp sharpie first and there's no way you can fuck it up.

Attached: 1488769268192.gif (400x225, 1.96M)

Can confirm. Didn't even need to take it off the gun when I ground mine.

You haven't been here for long, if you didn't already know that Remington only makes shit outside the 870. Remington has been shit for the last 15 to 20 years. It's very common knowledge in the gun world.

>Recently picked up a remington 1911
OH NO NO NO

Yes.

For fuck's sake don't do that, all 1911 hammers hit the grip safety. In fact almost all pistols with hammers hit the grip/beavertail/frame. How else would the hammer stop moving when the slide kicks it back?

It's a literal non-issue.

Then why doesn't my hammer hit after I ground it down? :bigthink:

False.

Attached: IMG_4278.jpg (3640x2730, 3.81M)

Not OP

Because it's hitting somewhere else. It's bottoming out in the frame, on the sear, on the hammer strut, something else is slamming to a stop somewhere else in the gun because you just transferred the point of wear from something inconsequential to something that might even be dangerous.

Attached: IMG_4273.jpg (3024x4032, 2.69M)

Oh shit.

>remington 1911 R1S

A piece of paper is about 4/1000 inch if that gives you an idea.

I magdumped a hi point 9mm into a deer and killed the shit out of it. Therefore hi points are quality weapons.

You're a terrible person for killing gods creatures.

If God agreed my eyes wouldn't face forward.

40 thou is ~2/3 *1/16". eyeball it with a ruler.

Attached: IMG_4308.jpg (4032x3024, 2.29M)

1911 hammers hitting the grip safety is common and nothing to worry about. I wouldn't even really call it an "issue" its so common, more so how the design tends to work, hammers breaking from it is a non concern. Google it senpai.

DO NOT DO THIS

>t. filthy urbanite
The ammount of critters that die when a combine goes through a wheat field is astounding. Think about that next time you go to open a loaf of bread.

Yeah, but you probably wouldn't trust your hi point to get a clean kill on a deer at 500 yards, yet with muh Remington that is my hard limit on shots I feel I can morally take.

Then again, you own a hi point so you probably think its morally acceptable to spray out the window of a moving car in a city.

>.is this normal?

It is for a current manufactured Remington.

>poor fag r*mington crap
why dont you retards save your money for a real rifle like a pre 64 model 70?

Remington ceased making decent stuff back in 2007.

>pre 64 model 70

Because the only winchester worth owning is a pre64 94.

It is normal for an anytime manufacturered hammer fired anything from anyone ever. Pic related, this is not a Remington issue. It's not an issue at all.

OP, please do not grind your gun assuming you haven't already. Believe it or not even Remington engineers know better than anons in this thread.

Attached: hammer-marks.jpg (1500x1500, 383K)

1940's era USGI M1911A1

Attached: IMG_20190126_174925372.jpg (505x897, 65K)

Holy fuck, the marks on the walther are from an endmill during machining. How the fuck is a German company putting that shit work out.

German engineering is a meme

What a shitty company that was when it was in its prime.

Can confirm it hits mine too but im not worried about it breaking or anything.

Dont fucking do this, your not a gunsmith and the hammer takes and gives a lot of punishment and trauma, It needs that metal.

Attached: Dont drink and k.jpg (1080x1428, 877K)

I agree, but usually they make things look pretty. That's just hideous. They didn't even bother to bead blast it.

whats the worst that could happen if OP trims his hammer?

It takes a split second longer to fire

It is, though. City slicker aren't human, and most definitely aren't god's creatures.

Or is splits when jamal and his friends come see how many tvs he has.

Are you a gunsmith OP? If not dont go cutting metal on your gun.
Come on dude theres putting new furniture on your AR then theres taking a saw to your new gun.
Dont go cutting shit dude

Not OP but I would support Rimington after their series of big fuck ups solely because they're America's oldest manufacturer and shit. Considering scooping up an RM380 since it's just a cheap but improved rohrbaugh

Based and Burtpilled

Remington bolt triggers have a severe safety flaw.

Other than that how much did you pay and what's the quality like.

I'm not an engineer nice trips but some things I could imagine happening:
Hammer spring bottoms out, causing premature plastic deformation and weakening or breakage of hammer spring
If it's a series 80 it could damage the plunger lever or trigger bar lever which shares a pin with the sear
Most likely it'll just hit at the base of the hammer instead of on the spur, like on my P-01 and 39-2 here which changes nothing thank goodness. It would still leave a mark but in a different place so OP would get to have two marks on his gun instead of one. In fact I think I already see a mark at the base of the hammer where it's hitting in OP which is fine.

I don't think it could damage the sear or safety on a 1911 because over-rotation of the hammer wouldn't cause it to cam out or stress the sear. But I'm not an engineer.

Attached: firecontrol-s70-s80-600.jpg (600x400, 32K)

Why? Why get a Remington copy of a Colt, when you could just get a Colt? Sell it, take the loss, put down some extra coin for the real thing.

Harrison custom retro hammer will do the trick. But you might as well buy a new hammer strut, sear, disconnect and fit a nee trigger.

It hasn't broken yet and I've shot it alot. I think it's just doing what every other hammer fired gun which doesn't have a faulty backstrap-hitting hammer does.
Well then explain how professional companies can sell skeletonized and lightened hammers? I've even noticed a little reduction in lock time since I dremeled mine. No reliability issues btw.

why would you breath life in to Remington?

At that point you might as well have a few extra things done while it's in the shop since it will be a stupid long wait time for a reputable smith. If you can find a smith willing to do more work than that on a Remington, which is unlikely, it would be a waste, because it would still be a Remington and no amount of custom work will raise its value very much, if at all.

Ok.

>worrying about literally the smallest tarnishing effect I've ever seen
>wants to fix it by shaving the back of the hammer down
BIG THINK.

You're full of shit Burt.

Attached: 1544708782172.jpg (760x755, 53K)

>How else would the hammer stop moving when the slide kicks it back?
Gee idk, maybe the SPRING?

Notice the P210 and 39-2 are pristine because they were manufactured to a high standard and the parts actually fit. There's nothing with filing down the hammer on a poorly fit gun.

Literally nothing.

You're an idiot. Gunsmithing isn't rocket science and it doesn't take a PhD to put together a 1911 from scratch much less fit a hammer.

why would you pay extra for a better surface finish on a feature that has no function? That's probably a 132µin finish, which is twice as worse as what is usually machined

What kind of grown ass man that owns guns doesnt own a fucking set of calipers?

I'm telling you guys, hammers popping the frame are not a problem. Unless the hammer is hitting the frame even when you slowly hand cycle the action which could be a problem because there's no room for it to go. But under recoil, the hammer is GONNA hit something.

The 39-2 has the most hammer damage of all the guns in that collage dude guy, pic related. It wore a huge spot right through the finish into bare aluminum.

The P210 is hardly pristine, it has a clear line where the hammer is just barely tapping the beavertail with the very tip of the spur. That spot probably won't get any bigger, but it's still there despite being "manufactured to a high standard and the parts actually fit" and I'm not at all worried about it.

Ok. Take a look at OP's pic and see the second wear spot at the base of the hammer. If he bubba'd the spur, it would still be impacting right there, only harder. If he ground the base of the hammer too (jfc...) the it would hit someplace else. It's going to hit somewhere because there just isn't enough room for the hammer to slow and reverse direction in open air. And if it doesn't, then OP has two grind marks on his gun for no reason.

If you cycle any DA/SA you will see that the hammer alllllmost touches the frame. Under recoil, do you think the hammer spring is enough to keep the hammer in contact with the slide all the way through cycling the action always? The hammer gets battered out of the way and can bounce. Or at least it can to varying degrees depending on the gun, or sometimes not at all. I don't know if some guns decelerate in open space or if they have non-visible contact points but about half my DA/SAs have hammer marks and about half don't, and they span all major manufacturers.

If you maintain that Remington's QC is the reason OP has hammer marks on his gun then you'd better expand that to every other manufacturer too because we've got a bigger, decades-long """problem""" on our hands.

Attached: 39-2.jpg (799x533, 104K)

Ok, so explain to why pic related functions just fine in a gun if you're right and it's super necessary for the hammer to bounce off your grip safety?

Attached: 1911-hmr-14-7_2.jpg (410x410, 15K)

I never once said it was necessary, or even desirable. I said it doesn't hurt anything.

I agree it's not a problem and if I'd just ignore it, but others here are saying he'll break his gun if he files rhe spur down and you even claimed it would be potentially dangerous, which is patently false. The spur does not serve an essential function. The frame will contain the hammer.

zoomer: destroyed

In my highly inexpert faggot internet attention whore JIDF rustington shill insecure contrarian tripfag opinion it likely wouldn't damage the gun to grind the hammer (aside from grinding the hammer), but it wouldn't help anything either.

So we're agreed it's not dangerous and you're a faggot for claiming that.

Oh absolutely.

Attached: 1442992561393.jpg (320x254, 23K)

>hammer hitting the beavertail
That's kinda what it's there for. The other option is it hitting your thumb.

Burt, I like you.

Because they have gunsmiths and engineers who can build strength out of less. If you tried to "skeletonize" a normal hammer it would snap.
Plus i have seen plenty of kimber skeleton hammers snap too

Yeah it’s not a big deal. It will not affect function

Hey burt i got your back
Theres nothing wrong with OPs gun
But if he gets a dremel and starts going at it hes not "gun smithing it" he buba-fying it. And thats puts extra stress on shit that wasnt ment to take it.

Can you put super wide 20 inch rims on your trailblazer? Yeah
Will it run? Yeah
But your gonna be busting up front wheel bearings a hell of a lot more than normal.

Burt is a pretty great guy.

He bought me dinner once.

Thanks dudes, inb4 you are me phoneposting

Also don't continue the story past dinner, it involved my crawlspace and it's not flattering of me

If you rack the slide you will see that the hammer hiting the grip safety is from momentum. The slide isnt in contact at point on touching. Get a comander hammer or a beavertail and problems solved. Or sand the spur. Nonissue any way you look at it.

That is in fact a design feature, put in there by Lord Browning himself, you tard.
It's so you can one-hand letdown the hammer as in a revolver. The hammer has to hit the grip safety, as you hold it back, so that the trigger may be pulled. ALL properly made 1911s will do that.

Now i wanna know more

Did you suck of one of those worms burt?
Got pics?

If this really is true then I’ll never own another pistol other than revolvers from now on. What a fucking joke of a design.
>Hey lets have metal bashing into metal head on as an integral part of our design

>what is a firing pin
Wew lad

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 42K)

They're headquartered in NY, user. Which means they pay tax money to Cuomo. Every time you buy from Remington you're giving Cuomo money to use to eliminate your right to bear arms.

There is actually a moral imperative to never buy from Remington or Kimber.

God gave us permission to kill them.
>inb4 you switch to an atheist argument

Before or after he put his peepee in your boipucci?

I mean, metal bashing into metal is pretty much an integral design feature in everything post-flintlock.

Yes

Revolvers still have hammers that slap metal, they have locking pawls that scrape the cylinder, they have cranes that wear out and get loose from use, they have sears that scrape hammers. Every gun has some kind of metal on metal smacking, scraping or rolling, it's rarely ever destructive. What a silly reason not to own a gun.

Mine does.

Attached: 20190126_235518.jpg (4032x3024, 2.6M)

My suggestion was to fit the parts himself... fitting a trigger requires purchasing a bastard file and some sandpaper. The harrison sear/disconnect will likely drop-in and will fit the Harrison retro hammer. Pinning a hammer strut to a hammer requires a plastic/brass punch and a hammer. It's not a difficult job. I've set triggers at 3.1 lbs with virtually no vertical or horizontal movement and minimal rearward disruption on series 80 pistols.

Lord, while your at it buy a set of harrison retro sights, harrett holly or ironwood grips, 25lpi mainspring housing, and some stiff wolf springs. If you're feeling ambitious buy and fit a egw square bottom firing pin stop, fit a new bushing, and peen the slide to the frame with a brass hammer. Shit will shoot better than guns sold at triple the price. Its like you all dont own 1911s.

Attached: Reprowmk.jpg (4032x1960, 2.02M)

My Les baer does the same.
Remington 1911s are actually okay.
Don't listen to noguns on Jow Forums OP

I doubt there are any Jains on this board
Tell your girlfriend to put some pants on

>buying a remington
are you retarded dude or what

Attached: 1536851462094.png (1440x1557, 738K)

>Remington 1911s are actually okay.
no they aren't. judging by the fact that you're so dumb i'd say you're a nogunz too. consider suicide, rustington shill.