Why is 9mm said to lack stopping power but .38 Special isn't? They fire the same bullet, but 9mm fires it faster

Why is 9mm said to lack stopping power but .38 Special isn't? They fire the same bullet, but 9mm fires it faster.

Attached: 9mm.jpg (1155x1155, 51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because 9mm is used by an enormously larger base and thus more relevant and more often commented on.

Nobody is going to argue that .38 is more powerful than 9mm. It just never comes up.

>.38 more powerful than 9mm
Ya wut m8

Read his post again

Well 9mm is in reality a pretty powerful and high pressure round, definitely more powerful than 38 as you said. The reason that morons claim that is because of the most common carry calibers (9mm, 40, 45 acp) it's the least powerful of the three. But yes if you zoom out on the handgun caliber scale you realize it's not a weak round at all. I find 9mm to have the best balance between power, recoil, ease of followup shots, and capacity. Not to mention that it is low price and has a huge selection of firearms chambered in it.

You misread his post. It is very obvious that 9mm is more powerful than 38 for anyone who possess over two braincells

>Why is 9mm said to lack stopping power
armchair faggotry?

pic related kodiak put down with a 9mm

Attached: PhilShoemaker.jpg (707x1879, 662K)

nobody uses .38 special in an official capacity anymore

so people in a job that needs a gun dont even think about a .38
people who carry for personal reasons dont feel any need to complain because .38 does the job just fine, a paper target is very likely to be successfully stopped by .38

That bear is much too small to be a Kodiak bear unless it is a cub. More likely it is a black bear (yes, some black bears are brown and even white).

>That bear is much too small to be a Kodiak bear unless it is a cub. More likely it is a black bear (yes, some black bears are brown and even white).
it's an alaskan grizzly

I've seen dogs bigger than that thing. It's either a black bear or a cub.

It's pretty fucking obvious it's neither.

How is it obvious? You think just because it's brown that makes it a grizzly? Brown black bears do exist.

Look at the shape of the face. It's clearly not a black bear.

wrong, stop posting kek

Attached: baitagain.jpg (600x600, 37K)

Dumbass

All of you fucking stop.... Did you see its feet?
It's a big foot! Not a bear at all.

Stopping power is a meme. a .22 has enough power to kill someone.

But not to reliably stop someone in their tracks. If an attacker keeps on attacking after they get shot, it doesnt really matter if they are going to die anyway in a few hours from bleeding

most attacks are over in only a few shots
good shot placement with a .22 will be completely sufficient for self defence

stories of people shrugging off rounds happen all the time, whether .22, 9mm, or .45
stories of one shot kills happen with all the same rounds as well

if you are comfortable shooting and carrying a .22, it will serve you much better than a bigger caliber you arent as good with
if you arent able to reliably stop an attacker with. 22, then upgunning to 9mm or 10mm isnt going to change the outcome by an appreciable amount

>shot placement
Complete meme. Even cops miss 11 times out of 12

ignoring the fact that a cop is going to spend 99% of his time doing paperwork, patrolling, or other mundane duties rather than firing their gun to the point that gun proficiency is just barely a requirement in the grand scheme of things

you have the simple fact that the ability to hit your target 10 of 12 times will be more valuable than upgrading to a .44 magnum

>.22 will be completely sufficient for self defence

The same study that showed
>most attacks are over in only a few shots
>good shot placement is what matters

also showed that 22 failed to stop an attack regardless of rounds fired or hits landed - TWICE as often as "standard" defensive calibers (380 to 45)

I've gone to the range with cops and I shoot better groups than them every time. Maybe shot placement isn't a thing with cops, but I've never missed a target less than 25m away, meanwhile you see videos of cops magdumping through their windshields and missing every single shot.

Both are irrelevant compared to proper .38 super.

This
This is the face of a grizzly, not a black bear. This looks nothing like a black bear's body and face structure

99.9% of police work is resolved via conversation and paperwork. The vast majority of cops will never fire their gun in the field, period.

People shit talk muh .38 all the time

>I’ve never missed.

Then you’re not pushing yourself hard enough. Slow aimed fire means dick all in a defensive encounter.

My first post on Jow Forums. I shall play devil's advocate. Stopping power is measured how? I would think that it is only theory until it is proven and compared in warfare. I kinda feel like if I had to pick which to get shot with: I would prefer the 9 over 38 special because I would want the cleaner wound of a fast jacketed bullet over the cow boyish 38 special slowly turning a curve inside my body. As to stopping. I don't think either one is going to stop a big guy who didn't notice getting shot.

It's also proven that civis shoot less, hit more than cops. Mostly due to the fact that we are actually responsible for our actions, wont get a slap on a wrist.

Stipping power is some vague metric of how well a bullet will stop someone in their tracks.
Its made by calculating velocity, mass and how much money the user has invested in his caliber of choice.
You want something that will penetrate 12"-18" inches in Ballistic Gel (or your mom) because some eggheads who know a whole lot more about terminal ballistics than everyone else on this board combined says thats what will produce 3"-6" of penetration in the human body (or your mom), taking into account the density of various tissues, bones, and the unused condom in your shirt pocket that expired two years ago.
To cap this all off, go google anecdotal evidence that there have been people relaibly killed by whatever your caliber of choice is, then spam that link as proof that your snowflake round has the greatest stopping power of them all.
The reality is that accuracy beats everything as muzzle velocity and bullet weight mean dick if you miss. The second most important thing is penetration, cause if you have to shoot some lardass, 6" of body penetration is nothing compared to a lifetime diet of double big macs. Although the physical exertion of trying to attack you will probably give them a heart attack. For everyone else, 3"-6" is fine (except your ex).

You seem to be speaking of a measure of energy. I suppose joules. Is this "stopping power" different variable can be combined to produce the same amount of energy but, I would think Cou could have identical energies with different "stopping powers" what are the measuring units of stopping power if it isn't just talk? I understand that the general rule would be that the bigger/heavier the bullet is, the more fucked mom's gonna be.

>Even cops miss 11 times out of 12
>Even cops

Check this out nigga

buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power

dunning kruger

this is why I come here.

Attached: offdutyND.jpg (1300x732, 369K)

My dad carried .38 on the job for 34 years and it stopped 3 people just fine. Personally I have no problem carrying my dad's old snub nose. It also looks a e s t h e t i c

Me grandpappy too. He was a cop but yeah he kicked the bucket in 92 so "anymore" may be correct. But a lot of cops didn't jump on the 9mm bandwagon like the seem to for the forty. Which is half assing it if you ask me.

38>9

Retard

Tbh the only reason I own a .40 is because they're cheap as fuck LEO trade ins these days. I remember my dad was more psyched about carrying an autoader more than the caliber switch to 9mm. Before he retired he used to bitch about how the "new" (anyone post 1990) academy graduates weren't taught enough marksmanship and were relying on volume of fire. Kinda tend to think hes right about it

.38=9.652?

>volume
I think that was the main idea for the 9. I don't know about what bullet is better to shoot people with but old cops are cool and new ones, idk

>Its made by calculating velocity, mass and how much money the user has invested in his caliber of choice.

kek

You also have to consider location.
A .22lr to the heart has a lot more "stopping power" than a .45 to the outside of the leg.