Do I need to clean my gas mask?

I recently picked up a new gas mask which is the exact same as in pic. I was wondering if I need to clean it if I get it dirty. But if I do not get it dirty do I not have to clean it.

Attached: 6fab491d7b55edd521ad2d2e2d495665.jpg (570x647, 45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/NEW-MODERN-MILITARY-MASK-FP5-FILTER-40MM-CBRN-NBC-FOR-MOST-MODELS-SALE-/262747982477
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You'll probably want to wipe it down with some alcohol wipes before your first use and after subsequent uses to help decrease the amount of oils and sweat inside the mask.

dunno if you already did it but get a filter that you know doesnt contain asbestos because im pretty sure those types contain asbestos

Its not dirty. The dust or powder you may have found inside is actually talc, used as anti-oxidant, solid lubricant, preservative, and moisture absorbent.

I got it at a gun show, I do not think asbestos are in the filter which is nice.

Get new filter, as the ones that come with those masks contain asbestos, no matter what year. Polish fp-5 filters are compatible with gp-5 masks, and can be bought online, simply wipe down with wet towels or light amounts of soap. No harsh chemicals as it could fuck with the rubber and ruin the seal.

Adding on to that, any surplus russian filter up until like 10-20 years ago had asbestos in them.

Take pic of filter, I wouldn't trust your typical gunshow to not sell you a surp asbestos-filled filter, especially not one that's GP5 compatible

here it is

Attached: 20190128_232410.jpg (1504x2016, 235K)

YOU'RE GOING TO DIE

OH SHIT LMFAO

Post pictures of the sides of the filters and any numbering or lettering on it.

here is the only writing on the filter

Attached: 20190128_232843.jpg (1504x2016, 306K)

Yep its dated 1971. Its a russian GOST filter and has asbestos in it. Keep the filter as a collectible, but do not breath through it. Get one of these ebay.com/itm/NEW-MODERN-MILITARY-MASK-FP5-FILTER-40MM-CBRN-NBC-FOR-MOST-MODELS-SALE-/262747982477

Thanks, I am happy that I did not breath through it yet. But if I do, how long would I have to wear it for the asbestos to be lethal?

Well if you are thinking in a last resort emergency scenario, the filter has no use. It's simply too old to literally have no other use than a cool collectible. The filter inside is completely ineffective by now. But if you really wanted to know maybe like an hour. It's not really well known as asbestos symptoms don't happen until like years later in life.

You can buy Polish FP-5 filters for cheap that work compeletely fine with a GP5. I have one along with like a dozen FP-5 filters. Works great.

Medically no amount of asbestos is safe.
Take that as you will.
And the filter is expired and won't work anyways

I also picked up this gas mask, do you think this one is safe or have any information on it. I mostly got both for the collectible purpose.

Attached: 20190128_234555.jpg (1504x2016, 331K)

Same deal. Keep the mask, clean it lightly and get any dirt off, replace the filter. The end looks like a GOST filter so the Polish Filters will still work with it fine.

I don't get it?

Where do you think this mask was manufactured? It reminds me of a ww1 era style, but it looks too advanced for that time.

the filter has asbestos in it which is harmful to breath in

ah ok.

He's joking about the filter. General rule of thumb is if you buy any surplus mask and filter made by anybody other than the west, the UK, and Isreal, then don't use the filter, as there is a high chance they either have chromium or asbestos in them, both of which aren't too fun to inhale. Russian and Chinese filters are especially notorious for this.

we clean our masks after gas hut decon drills with a mild solution of detol and hot water,

Attached: 1411774448866.jpg (398x500, 80K)

If I keep the filter as a collectible can the asbestos get in the air or is it okay to keep on a shelf?

Give more pics for the mask.

The mask is super small, so I am pretty sure it is a children's civilian mask.

Attached: 20190128_235717.jpg (1504x2016, 261K)

seems either chinese or russian. But yeah seems really small. I mean maybe the asbestos can get in the air, I don't know i just throw them out but doesn't seem like it would do much.

Alright, I might just keep them in their box for now, do not wanna risk it. I will probably still keep the filter though just for collectors purpose. Thanks a lot you were a big help.

No problem. Check out some surplus isreali masks they are great for collectors and preppers alike.

Other user, it's fine to keep as a display item. If the filters we're brand new, then it would be fine even if they did have asbestos or chromium, it's just that if they've sat in storage for long certain layers in the filter could break down, resulting in inhalation of said bad stuff. All in all, don't risk it, and buy an Israeli filter. They're cheap if you just want one to wear and they don't have nasty chemicals. Don't rely on the mask for actual use though. I don't know if my image is the most up to date one, but it's a general guideline

Attached: 1512530893202.jpg (4000x1648, 1.52M)