Serious question about my second amendment rights...

Serious question about my second amendment rights. Please don't shit up this thread with insults and obviously fake advice.

In my early 20's, I did a lot of LSD. I had two bad trips that lead to me being involuntarily committed to a psychiatric ward for a period of about a week each time. Once in MA, once in CA.

I'm now 28 and have been healthy and without incident for over 5 years.

I live in MA and I'm interested in buying a firearm, but I'm intimidated to try going through the process given my mental health.

What steps should I take towards legal firearms ownership? I am not interested in lying on any of the paperwork. Should I consult with a 2A lawyer? Can anyone lend me advice in this regard?

Pic related is not my discharge papers, just something pulled off google images.

Attached: untitled_by_gamerspax-d9fkiym[1].jpg (620x799, 520K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lawcenter.giffords.org/prohibited-purchasers-generally-in-massachusetts/
faa.gov/about/initiatives/plain_language/articles/mandatory/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

*given my mental health history

>I had two bad trips that lead to me being involuntarily committed to a psychiatric ward for a period of about a week each time.

why a week? usually people are fine once they sober up

No guns for you. You've been involuntarily committed. Under Maryland law they reported that to NICS and that will fail you.

Sorry bud unless you build an 80% yourself or buy a gun through a private sale, you'll never pass a background check.

Because I was extremely uncooperative with the orderlies at the beginning of my stay. If you don't submit they fuck you over by keeping you in.

Contact the NRA in your area, explain the situation and see what resources they have. They should be able to find you a lawyer familiar with the process.

MA is massachusetts, MD is maryland

Also, I don't believe it

*I don't believe it is as straightforward as that. I have not been diagnosed with any mental illness. Nor was I ever violent or threatening, mostly just confused and talking nonsense.

Its ok to fill out a back ground check. Granted you are truthful. And even rhough you may not pass it. They dont enforce the law in that regards.
However if you lie, and get caught. Its a felony. And they definitely will arrest and imprison you. That is some serious shit.

thanks user

I hadn't thought of this. Thanks for the advice.

Under 18 U.S. Code §922

>It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person— has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution;

In 2014, Massachusetts enacted a law significantly improving the state’s reporting of mental health information to NICS. The law requires courts to transmit certain mental health records, such as records of involuntary commitments and the appointment of a guardian or conservator, to the state Department of Criminal Justice Information Services for inclusion in NICS.4

Basically again. If you lie on your background check, its a felony and it looks like you would fail if you told the truth. Also it would be a felony for you to own a weapon as well so if you are ever stopped by police on a traffic stop and they see one you'll be going to jail for sure.

Also for your reading

lawcenter.giffords.org/prohibited-purchasers-generally-in-massachusetts/

Thank you for the citations. Maybe I am reading between the lines too much but in legalese is there not a difference between "shall" and "may" wording here:

"FID cards may not be issued to any person who:"

as opposed to "shall not"

?

I believe the word "may" implies some discretion.

faa.gov/about/initiatives/plain_language/articles/mandatory/

I was committed for about 2 weeks when I was about 13-14, currently hasguns in ma, there is hope

I believe this supports my understanding that there is some leeway with the wording of "may not".

godspeed user

You don't deserve rights, scum.

I'm impressed we made it this far before you showed up

Even then the

>federal law prohibits any person who has been involuntarily committed from possessing or buying a weapon part

kinda fucks you.

Marlyand reports those by law to NICS, and if you lie on your 4473 its likely they will find out. So even if you could get your FID, you still won't pass the background check.

Was it voluntary or involuntary? I'm not sure about the legality of it especially as you were a minor

why are you still talking about maryland?

Sorry massachusets has that law that requires reporting to NICS, wrong state, still true.

Generally speaking, a judge or jury has to yank your rights, but states can differ at the edge cases

>140 Mass. Gen. Laws § 131.
> All licenses to carry firearms shall be designated Class A or Class B, and the issuance and possession of any such license shall not be extended to a person who:

> Is or has been committed to a hospital or institution for mental illness, alcohol or substance abuse, unless after 5 years from the date of the confinement, the applicant submits with the application an affidavit of a licensed physician or clinical psychologist attesting that the applicant is not disabled by a mental illness in a manner that shall prevent the applicant from possessing a firearm, rifle, or shotgun;
> Is or has been committed by a court order to a hospital or institution for mental illness; or
> Is or has been subject to an order of the probate court appointing a guardian or conservator for an incapacitated person on the grounds that the applicant lacks the mental capacity to contract or manage the applicant’s affairs.

I do have a shrink that would vouch for me. Good to know

As an example. When I was buying my pistol. A very attractive lady was trying to buy a Scorpion pistol for her boyfriend.
And she couldnt produce any id and lied about her address. Nothing happened. They just politely said we cant sell you the firearm.
She proceeded to beg. Offer what seemed like sexual advances. In a store full of men. (Very akward). Then she threw a temper tamtrum and stormed out. It was crazy.
So point being. Just dont lie to the sales guy or on the paper work. If your truthful, nothing should happen.worst case scenario, they refuse to sell it to you.
However, if you lie and walk out with the gun. Your going to big boy federal prison for a very long time. If you get caught carrying apon an arrest.
And thay could be a self defense situation. Where I have heard of felons going right back to jail for self defense with a firearm. Because the law is the law

Thank you. Like I said, I want to do this legitimately

As far as being worried about getting in hot water in a self defense situation, I'd rather not be dead and fight in court than being thankful I obeyed the letter of the law while bleeding out.

The biggest problem for you isn't state but federal law. Under Obama committed to a mental health institution was defined as involuntary commitment.

You won't ever get a gun through a legal process. I'm sorry man.

Shrinks aren't judges, and being held for observation doesn't count as due process. Not yet, anyway.

Id look into polymer 80 lowers. As long as you own it. Never sell it. That may work

thanks user, I appreciate it. But even if I could build my own firearm, wouldn't being unable to purchase ammunition make this basically useless?

Pretty much looks like in MA you need one of those FID cards to even buy ammo. Fucking absolutely cucked land.

Not in MA my dude. Even black powder requires an FID.

Just try it. Worry about it if you dont get it
Buy it online

where can ammunition be purchased online without restriction? Seems like they wouldn't ship to MA if you need a license to buy it here.

Without knowing the extent of your situation I'd say there's no insurmountable barrier to an 80% lower and parts kit

ATF OR MSP? Just move to another state man, we don’t want you here. Healey is looking for ANYTHING to fuck us even harder than she already has. I almost didn’t get to inherit my great grandfather’s BPD service pistol because of this bullshit

Besides the political climate, I actually like living here. I'm not Jow Forums enough to base where I live on gun ownership laws

Same question I asked another user, how would I get ammunition? Even if I wanted to roll my own rounds, at least the gunpowder must be restricted right?

Also what are these places. I can't find on google based on those acronyms and I don't know what they stand for.

In MA all parts used in the manufacture of ammunition is controlled so doing your own on a press is out of the question too.

it seems easy enough to buy spent casings and lead ingot. It's the powder that seems to be the real obstacle

Massachusetts State Police? Boston Police Department? Listen dude, if you can get your psychiatrist and GP to write letters to your town chief of police saying that you are sane then sure, go ahead. Otherwise, go fuck yourself. Things are hard enough for the rest of us as is.

In the context of your post, it sounded like you were suggesting ATF and MSP as online ammunition dealers. No need to get upset.

Its powder and primers that will be troublesome. You'll probably need to drive to a free state and stock up on them if you seriously want to go through all this trouble to get a gun.

it's not "all this trouble" to me, I will follow the path before me to pursue my rights