New production famas rifles

Would it be possible for an American company to produce famas rifles for around the price point of a ptr91? I'm surprised no company has tried to reproduce them.

Attached: 1548744383573m.jpg (1024x369, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

armurerie-auxerre.com/famas-f1-neutralise-vente-libre.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>possible
yes, particularly a G2 for mag availability
>for around the price point of a ptr91
hell no

Scar price point? I would pay 4k for a famas

>I would pay 4k for a famas
How much would it cost to import a deactivated one and have someone mill the missing parts?

Much more than 4k

>of a ptr91
Not a chance.
>scar price point
Who the fuck knows. If a company did start producing them, I'm sure the levels of hype would be off the charts. They probably could get away with price gouging by creating a false scarcity in the same way FN does.

My question is why? Being willing to spend $4k on a 5.56 rifle is fucking stupid, especially for such a horrendously ugly rifle like the famas.

If SMG can make an FG 42 for a bit over $5k, a FAMAS at about $4k seems in the realm of possibility (assuming there would be a market to support it).

Is that a famas?

That thing looks like an Uzi.

I think the polymer bits would be the expensive parts. Those are only cheap with economy of scale.

True, large injection molding tooling is not cheap.

I wonder the same thing for the L85. Might be a fun range toy.

We can't even produce good AKs.

Politics are just as much of a major hurdle. The French just simply aren't interested in exporting them, let alone going through the trouble of deactivation and chopping them up for parts kits for the US market.

You can occasionally find deactivated ones for sale in Europe. I don't know how hard they would be to import from there.
armurerie-auxerre.com/famas-f1-neutralise-vente-libre.html

For starters, the receiver would have to be torch cut in three places per ATF requirements before it could enter the country.

I'm not sure which part counts as the receiver on a FAMAS. But being able to reclaim most parts would save a lot of trouble making a FAMAS clone.

It's the triangular part on the bottom right corner with the fire selector switch that would give you the most trouble to duplicate.

Attached: FAMAS-Disassembly.jpg (650x400, 100K)

It's this part. Doesn't appear to be especially complex to machine, but unless you have good quality mill then you're going to be paying a type 07 FFL to make it for you.

The trickier part, which alluded to, may be converting the unitized fire control assembly to semi-auto in a way that keeps the ATF happy.

Attached: famas receiver.jpg (1426x800, 117K)

IIRC famas happens to be one of the few rifle designs the french put a patent or copyright law on the design/bluprints.

Patents only last a limited time (much less than the 40 the FAMAS has been in service) and you can't copyright a mechanical system.

The weapon has not been in production long enough for the copyright to lapse.

No. Giant was the only holder of the technical specs and since FAMAS production has stopped most of what we've heard is that the tooling is kaput. The best and American company could do is reengineer off a sample (not easy or practical to do). So if you can convince an eccentric millionaire to do that you'd be looking at a price point above $2k for some time till they can produce enough to get bigger orders.

It’s GIAT. ANd who the fuck would spend 4K for a FAMAS?

>Would it be possible for an American company to produce famas rifles
sure
>for around the price point of a ptr91?
HAHAHAHAHAHA

You could probably at best cut it down to 1.7 k if you had enough demand to justify making 5k of the rifles and made quality if life choices.

>Magpul mags
>Magpul grip
>Remove lightning cuts

>Would it be possible for an American company to produce famas rifles for around the price point of a ptr91? I'm surprised no company has tried to reproduce them.

I was about to make a similar thread. After watching Gun Jesus vid about it, I wondered, that it's probably the simplest 5.56 rifle ever made, internals wise.

In the era of cnc & 3d printers, making a decent copy shouldn't be hard.
And you KNOW there would be market for it, not just in US. I (Polish) would surely buy it.

Attached: granaty-nasadkowe-1.jpg (700x300, 121K)

Probably around that, 4000ish, maybe 5000ish, depends what corners they wanna cut.
>My question is why? Being willing to spend $4k on a 5.56 rifle is fucking stupid,
People already spending 25k on current, non-military examples. So obviously some people want it aside from the utility.

>a price point above $2k for some time till they can produce enough to get bigger orders
The only appeal of the FAMAS is that it is a unicorn, if they were easily available almost nobody would want one.

>I wondered, that it's probably the simplest 5.56 rifle ever made, internals wise.

Attached: FAMAS_DiagramInternals.jpg (1687x573, 186K)

You wana tell me this reciever is more comples than that of other rifles?

>people already spending 25k on current, non-military examples
That price point is purely a reflection of how rare they are. There are at *most* 250 of those rifles in the US. Of course collectors are going to spend stupid amounts of money for it.

It's more complex than an AR15

The Kiralay lever design is a very finely tuned operating mechanism in the same realm as roller delay. They can be very finicky if not built correctly or if you use the wrong ammo, which both systems had issues with early on. Not cheap to reverse engineer and scale up for production.

They sold it to the Chinese

Yes, but that indicates that a market exists for the thing. People aren't buying it because it is rare, they are paying that much because it is rare. They are buying it because they want a FAMAS.

>this part
good luck, that is literally soldered to the barrel and to the entire lower assembly.

Copyright doesn't apply to inventions, that's patents, and the FAMAS' patent protection expired at least 15 years ago.

No
They can't even get an AK right, what makes you think they can get a FAMAS right for

Available in Canada when?
I know plenty of back trails over the border. I will smuggle the living shit out of those.

Agree, but I don't like the enlarged trigger guard from the G2.
A MAS .223 repro, but with G2's magwell and barrel twist rate is perfect for me.