Advice and truth from the Jow Forumsomrades

Was offered a socom 16 for a really good price and considering. Anyone out there own one? Is it worth $1K to buy?

Attached: 20039983.jpg (1200x1200, 37K)

Bump because same situation

I can get one from peacekeeper for like $726

Depends on what you're looking for. Realistically speaking, there's no reason to own any rifle that isn't an AR. An AR can do everything every other rifle can do, but does it better and more reliably.
But M14 type rifles are fun and I like them. Personally, I prefer full-sized (or the "paratrooper" size JRA offers/offered), though.

Attached: m14 blacktop.jpg (3393x2262, 1.55M)

I don't own one but from what I've seen that's a good deal.

>1k
you can find them used for 800-900
They're simple enough, throw a simple 4x sight and its like any other 308 battle rifle.

I personally wouldn't, I would much rather put the 1k towards something else. If I were to get a M14 pattern rifle I'd get a 22 inch barrel with wood furniture and it'd just be for fun military collector type purposes. The 16 inch barrel with polymer furniture is worthless for that purpose, and imo there are many other, better, .308's out there for practical purposes.

1k is a pretty good price.
The 16s have a different gas system than the standard 22" and 18" models so they are a little more picky on ammo (regular chrome lined M14geries eat just about anything) and 16" isn't really ideal for optimal .308 ballistics either.

Otherwise, it's basically an M14. If you don't own a battle rifle that deal is a very good way to get into one. If you don't like it, you can trade it for a different one or re-sell it later for a little more.

>Not just trading 2 Intel folders from hatchetniggering on labs

Attached: 1504744472701.jpg (482x424, 21K)

Did you read what you wrote before posting? So you are saying that the AR is the absolute king of all rifles and there is no reason for anything else, because as you said it does everything better? Mind walking that statement back a step or two?

It keeps the ARfags at bay if you get that out of the way early. The AR is the ultimate in modern rifle technology outside of rare, special occasions. I think they're boring.

1k is pretty much new MSRP. See if you can talk them down.

This is nice but I'm not sure about the bipod...

Attached: M1A.png (599x600, 971K)

The magpul bipod is alright, I have one on my 6.5 creedmore build. You might be able to sell the bipod if you don't like it, so if it's a good price go for it

Seems like a good price to me, lowest I've found them for is around $1,200-1,500 around me. New ones are on shelves for $1,600-2,000 last I checked. I want one fiercely but can't justify the cost, if I found a used one for a grand I'd likely make some questionable financial choices and snag it myself.

>buying a shortened downgraded M1 Garand
>for $1k

Attached: 97D38FDB-7CD1-4C5F-B532-557F4D93B626.jpg (512x512, 13K)

>an ar can do everything every other rifle can do, but does it better

The absolute state of gun ownership in 2019

Here's another interesting take on M1A

Attached: M1A_Acog.png (527x528, 894K)

The AR15's charging handle is in a terribly retarded spot, especially when you realize where eugene stoner actually wanted to put it
The mag release is easy to hit by accident
The bolt catch is in a retarded spot and workarounds are even dumber
Neither are the scant options for precision irons (inb4 some /arg/ fag thinks his BUIS mounted on a floating barrel shroud are precision) because it was only meant to have short sight radius battle sights (inb4 no tactical advantage to iron sights)
They are really fucking ugly. Spare me the tactical magazine cover guns.
Is it a tactical rifle? Plastic isn't a very tactical stock material. It's light, but that means you can't use your rifle as an effective bludgeon. Be a warrior and beef up so you can carry a heavier more tactical rifle, gaylord.
The gas system vents all excess pressure into the receiver
Keeping the receiver extension after ditching the fixed stock was kind of a bad idea. The buffer could actually go in (under) the handguard and be pulled on instead of pushed on, believe it or not.

Attached: 1760.jpg (1800x491, 59K)

>not saving the folders for the sopmod trade
Seriously just strip the good shit off it and slap it back on a 416 and you're g2g and still made like 80k

to be fair most fudds on gunbroker are all trying to sell their beat up Garands with a bore like a musket for $1000

no lowballs, I know what I got

> An AR can do everything every other rifle can do, but does it better and more reliably.
This was probably bait but there are honestly ARfags out there that unironically believe this.

Attached: 1493743477724.jpg (651x768, 44K)

I feel you, the top of my list of things to look for in an effective and reliable combat rifle is it's ability to be used as a fucking club.

>inb4 some /arg/ fag thinks his BUIS mounted on a floating barrel shroud are precision
Fucking this, I'm so tired of hearing this shit from them

Is there any platform you believe is collectively better?

Now tell us how your slav shit is superior...

Attached: 20119927_1_291_217.gif (291x217, 1.09M)

No get a new DPMS G2 or PTR if you want a semi auto .308 for 1k