It's 1918 and you are tasked with designing a bolt action rifle for the 1919 spring offensive. What do you design/build?

It's 1918 and you are tasked with designing a bolt action rifle for the 1919 spring offensive. What do you design/build?

You can only use components/ideas from already existing rifles - otherwise the war will be over before we can use your great new rifle!

Attached: WW1 rifles.jpg (1024x1401, 178K)

OP here, I'll kick off:
>M1917 Enfield action & sights
>Shortened action in 6.5 Swedish
>24'' barrel
>En bloc loading
>8-10 round capacity

Shortened Steyr 1895 in 8x57IS with a 8 or 10 rounds fixed mag fed by stripper clips.
Alternatively I re-equip my troops with Swedish M96s

Type 38 with an aperture sight and 25in universal short rifle length.

Disregard bolt actions and continue development on semi autos

ARC mausingfield in 30-06 but without the swappable bolt face since that wasnt a thing yet. Give it the same sights as the 1917 eddystone had and a 26" barrel.

Can we develop special ammunition?

If we can
>shortened Mauser 98 with a 10 round mag fed by stripper clips
>sights off of a M1917 enfield
>peterson like device shooting a 7.92 pistol cartridge fed by a 30 round box magazine
>the device will be of similar capability as the original, able to be swapped out easily and semi automatic
>troops trained in infiltration tactics with lots of grenades issued

If not
>same as above but without the device
>even more grenades issued
>at least one dude in a squad issued an MP-18 to offset the lack of the device

Fuck your rules OP I am making this

Attached: 4DAD94C4-BBAA-443A-BFDF-F6A5099D0B21.jpg (389x130, 7K)

Either mass produce Pederson devices or reverse engineer cheaper mp18s and phase out bolt actions

>buy a bunch of Swiss K11's
>???
>profit

whoever made that infographic failed. first of all thats not an 1891 mosin pictured, its a 91/30. the USA used primarily the p17 rifle in ww1 not the 1903. the turks were using the m98 mauser by this point in time as well

I'll cheat and do two instead. M1917 Enfield fitted with a scope and Maxim silencer for sniping and uses it's own full power 30-06 along with the machine guns.
For everyone else that gets a rifle, the barrel is shortened from 26 inches to 22 to make it handier in the trenches. Their version of 30-06 is loaded to around the same potency as 303 British for faster follow up shots and so it isn't as flashy in the shorter barrel. Speaking of faster follow up shots, how's 12 rounds sound? You have more rounds and the drawbacks of 5 round stripper clips in a 10 round magazine are lessened but not entirely eliminated.

Springfield, with detachable magazine.

>1919
>bolt action
fuck that, I would be designing a new SMG for the Spring Offensive

Your logistics guys will hate you deeply.

Nah mate, this Thompson guy is already on it.

Mondragón

>bolt action in 1919

You're out of touch, daddy-o. Trench raiding tactics are all the rage these days. Better put that effort into an SMG.

AR-15 without a gas tube, plus cleaning rod that is also a gas tube

Seems legit.

Swedish Mausers.

/thread

I wouldn't touch a 'new' bolt action in this era. Focus on making cheap, easy to use sub guns and moving that concept of a short open bolt pistol caliber machine gun into a rifle cartridge carbine. If for design and ease of production purposes, it can stay open bolt through 1919. But use that as an ultimate stepping off point into an assault rifle by 1920.

Are we talking Plan 1919 or is this a Kaiserreich thread? Am I designing for American or German tooling?

Attached: 79gmxysvq9921.png (2543x1689, 1.94M)

Literally just a 1917 Enfield. There was a more pressing need for better man portable MGs than a better bolt rifle.

>Enfield style action
>detachable 10rd mag that's actually designed to be routinely detached
>22" barrel
>no mag cutoff
>6.5x55SE
>Lyman receiver sight
>Enfield style eared front sight

>This
I take the gas system from the mondragon. I attach it to the bolt of the mondragon. And I use ammo that doesn't come from shitty place like Mexico.

Because if I am suggesting that tooling be charged in the middle of war, we really fucking better have something better than a bolt action to justify the expense and delay. Otherwise just go with what you are making (maybe make it simpler if possible).

Which side are we on?

>It's 1918 and you are tasked with designing a bolt action rifle
why would i waste my time? smokeless powder and autoloaders are already a thing

Straight blowback closed bolt 9x25 SMG with the magazine in the pistol grip and an overall length of 26"

We just copy the Swedish Mauser and call it good.